53 Year Old Scheduled for BA on April 4, 2012! Can't Wait! Nervous About Recovery and Size. - Grand Rapids, MI

I have struggled with my self image since the age...

I have struggled with my self image since the age of 12 when my friends were needing bras and nothing was happening for me. I have been married for 31derful years and have three children. I successfully breastfed three children until they were ready to switch to drinking from a cup. I have considered this procedure for years and finally decided I am ready to have normal proportions for the first time in my life. I feel very uneasy about size and the recovery. The time is moving so slowly as I wait for my surgery date. I just hope everything turns out the way I dream it will. It is so hard to picture myself being anything except devoid of breast tissue.

I have one week until my BA! Time has still been...

I have one week until my BA! Time has still been going so slowly as I wait with anticipation for my body to finally "grow up" and become a woman. I still am having trouble imagining myself and what I will look like after my surgery. Any other changes to our bodies normally occur over a period of time except for the rapid weight loss after delivering a baby. Of course I hope for a smooth recovery and that I will be completely satisfied and that I will be free from any complications. No one predict how my recovery will go so I will have to wait and see. I have not taken any before pictures. We have a 15 year old son and I am not sure how to keep photos private from him so I have to give that some thought. Any suggestions?

I am wondering how I am going to do after surgery....

I am wondering how I am going to do after surgery. My surgery is on Wednesday and my husband will be with me Wed.-Fri. On Friday night our 29 year old daughter is coming for the weekend because my husband has to work on Saturday. Then she leaves Monday, my husband works Monday, and our youngest, a 15 year old son, goes back to school on Monday also. I will have to drive to pick him up from school on Monday afternoon. Reading some people's stories makes me wonder if I will be able to do this. He turns 16 at the end of the month. Too bad he can't drive on his own yet. Then I would have one less thing to think about during my recovery. I am wondering about whether or not I will be able to reach up to the cupboard to get a glass or a plate. Will I be able to reach up to the microwave which is mounted above the stove? Etc, etc, etc! I know recovery is a very individual thing so no one can answer these questions. I will just have to wait and see. Even is it is difficult, I will survive this! I sure have a lot of unanswerable questions though. I need to hire a nanny for myself!

I just took my blouses (button up) from the high...

I just took my blouses (button up) from the high top bar in my closet and sorted through my sweaters and pulled out some cardigans, then I took out some of my pants and put everything in one area within easy reach in my closet to make the early part of my recovery easier. I also took out the pajamas that button up the front and I put some of my slip on shoes on shelves that are easy to reach. I have my outfit all ready to wear for BA day on Wednesday. So many details. When my husband had knee surgery in the fall of 2011 he didn't have nearly as much to prepare for it! Men have their own concerns though. If I wasn't such a perfectionist I would have a lot less to do.

I am now three months post-op and I am so glad I...

I am now three months post-op and I am so glad I had my BA done! I feel like I am proportional and feminine now. I still fit into all of the clothing that I wore prior to my surgery. The only thing I had to replace were my bras. Even my swim suits still fit me. Actually they fit me for the first time. Prior to my BA I had to put padding in them since I was so flat. Now I fill them out nicely. Buying bras is so easy now also. I can go into any store to find my size. I do not have to buy bras online anymore. I wear a size 32C and that makes me almost perfectly proportional. My measurements are 32-26-33. Sometimes I wish I had done this sooner but then I have to remind myself that I just was not ready to make this step any earlier in my life and that even at the age of 53 I have a lot of years ahead of me to enjoy my new body.
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

I would recommend Dr. Leppink to anyone. I feel like he is an excellent physician and he gave me exactly the result I wanted. I am very happy with his work and the office staff.

Yes, maybe I will surprise my husband with a picture of me in my wedding gown. The church we were married in has been completely renovated or I would go back there and get a shot. I am sure our son will have some really creative ideas. He used to do videography for weddings when he was in college so he has lots of experience. Now he has moved on to bigger and better things.
I'm glad everything went so well. It's awesome that you look so great. Being taken for an athlete is pretty darn cool. I bet you will look beautiful in your wedding gown. That would be a beautiful picture and a very special gift for your husband. How blessed you are to have a son who can capture those special moments!
It went fine! I did have a woman from my church (we aren't personally acquainted) ask me how I stay so thin. Before I had a chance to answer she asked if I am a runner. I told her no and she tole me I look fabulous! I was in a swim suit and I was told I look fabulous. That has never happened to me before! My measurements are 32-26-32 so I am now perfectly proportioned! I think I must look more physically fit since my BA because that is not the first time I have been asked if I am a runner. Actually I have gained 3.7 pounds since my BA. I actually needed to gain a bit of weight so I am fine with it. I figure my implants account for maybe a pound and half. When I googled it that is what I came up with. So I have actually only gained about 2 pounds. I have not been exercising since my BA. I really need to get back but I feel weird going to the same place where everyone has known me as flat chested. Again, just like my swim suit debut, I just don't know how people will react. I just need to go and get it over with! So I have another unveiling coming up! I want to try my wedding dress on now that I have boobs! I tried it on last year on our 31st anniversary and it was actually a little too big for me. Maybe it will fit me perfectly this year. It would be fun to have some pictures of me wearing it. Our older son is a filmmaker and he will be home in July so maybe I'll have him take some pictures of me. He is an amazing still photographer also.
So, how did the official "unveiling" go? Mine will be at a wedding in July.
My recovery went well except for one annoying thing. I had very sensitive skin on my breasts for over two weeks caused by nerve regeneration. Any friction on my skin was very sensitive and I was very happy when that went away. I am happy with my size. I am also happy to be able to go braless. I still feel insecure about getting rid of all of my old bras. I don't miss my look before but I just can't relax enough in the knowledge that I will continue to be free from any complications so my lingerie drawer can't hold my old bras and my new assortment of tanks and bralettes. I wonder when I will dare to say goodbye to all of my old padded bras? I sat out in the sun on my back deck today in a swim suit and it is so nice to fill out the top without any padding. I tried bras on yesterday and was only able to find one bra manufacturer at Macy's that carried a 32 band width. I tried on a 32C, 32D, and a 32DD in Natori and the 32D seemed to fit well. I have no idea if a fit specialist would put me at that size. I also don't know how Natori rums compared to other manufacturers since I know each manufacturer has its own sizing. I'll have to go to Chicago to find a better selection when I am ready to actually buy a bra. I imagine I still have some changing to do and that it is still too soon to invest in a bra. This is one area where I am glad to score lower than an A! Cs or Ds for me and I am one happy woman! I finally feel like my body is proportionate. I feel a little anxious about my public debut at the yacht club pool this weekend. I feel like it is so obvious but I am trying to tell myself that the average person does not pay as much attention to my boobs as I do. I believe that even if someone notices most people will be too polite to say anything about their suspicions. My PS is also a member there but I know he won't say a word about it to anyone. He is a professional and HIPAA would prevent him even if he were tempted to say anything. One thing I have yet to buy that has been a dream of mine is a strapless dress. Another dream was to be able to wear a bandeau swim suit and that dream has been fulfilled. I actually bought two bandeau swim suits.
I hope things are going well in your recovery. I'd love to hear how you are doing now that you are a little farther post-op.
You bet it is, but I am worth every penny! Oops! One too many zeros in there! You are more observant than the rest! I imagine others noticed but just didn't comment! It gave me a chuckle though as I scrolled up to see that I had actually put $65,000!

lol

65,000 bucks... wow thats alot!!!
Brookeh- You are right. I was able to drive on that Monday following my surgery. I drove to my son's school and was glad to let him take over and drive us home as turning the steering wheel was uncomfortable. Now one week later I can do about everything.

monday u should be ok to take care of your self, but driving might hurt u.  i went back to work after 5 days. it sucked alot but was able to do it. day 6 i felt a whole lot better!
DRgirl- I haven't been on here either, obviously. I have had a smooth recovery and it has gone quicker than I expected. I still have a little ways to go but I can do almost everything now. Still waiting to be able to sleep comfortably lying flat and I do have nipple sensitivity. I am not sure how long that might last. I am also not back to exercising. It is a little too soon to do that now. At my first pre op appointment after one week my PS instructed me to go braless for the next three weeks and that feels so strange after never going braless! How is everything going for you?
I am doing great; almost completely back to normal although I still have that sore spot on the left side that has not gone away although it is much better. It is very interesting how different PS have different opinions; mine said wear a bra 24/7 for the first few weeks. I just recently finally started not wearing a bra to bed and it felt good!
Thanks DRgirl- I am now two days post op and I am doing very well. So far I am feeling better than I expected. I feel good about my size. I am swollen, of course, but I think I am going to be proportional. The recliner has been working well for me to sleep in at night and if I wake up during the night I switch to the sofa which is all made up with a sheet and pillows propped up and that gives me the chance to "change positons" since the recliner is so confining. I am reducing the pain medication at my next does. I had my husband take progression pictures in case I lose perspective as I heal. The PS tried five different sizes before decding that 350 CCs looked proportional for me. I am not sure what size I will be but I was flat previously so I am thinking I might be a nice B cup.
Hi there, I have not been online much lately and just now read your response. So glad everything went well and you are recuperating. Keep us updated on your progress when you get a chance.
Been thinking about you since I remember your surgery date was yesterday. Hope everything is going well; can't wait to read your update.
I just told my parents today and they are both very supportive and offered to help me in any way! I fell relieved that the whole burden will not be on my husband. He has a pretty demanding job. When he works the scheduled shift is 12 hours but he often has to work about an hour late and then you have to add at least 25 minutes for transportation each way. On his day off he is in his own recovery mode! We'll make it though. Everyone else does and my husband isn't the only man out there with a busy job. At least I don't have young children to care for.
you are absolutely right it is based on each individual recovery time. I am only on day three and I feel pretty good . My hubby has been a HUGE help in the recovery process. he has literally been there for everything. Which takes the strain off of you .Now it does hurt when I turn certain ways so, im really not sure how you will drive on that day. Hopefully everything will work out
Thank you DRgirl. I am excited! I told my husband I want him to take some before pictures of me. I think we will buy a separate memory card to store the pictures on since we have a 15 year old son. I will probably discard the disc after a year so some day in the future our kids don't find the disc after we are gone and look at them. Can you imagine somebody discovering pictures like that of their parents! But I do want to document my progression because I think it will help me see the progress more objectively. I know it can take quite a bit of patience to wait while they settle into place or drop and fluff as it is called.
Less than a week now for you! Please keep us updated; I will be thinking about you on your big day!

Lucky you! I'm from Michigan but now live in rainy, windy Seattle :0)

Good to get all that cleaning done before your surgery!

Silicone, as recommended by my PS. I trust him. Thanks for the reading recommendations. I will definitely check them out when I have time to focus on them. It is 83 degrees and sunny today (Michigan)! Crazy! I feel like I am in Florida! I am getting spring cleaning done inside and out! Nesting!

Also, check out Makenzie's breast aug review and her videos. Very informative!

I can feel your pain in this review. I'm sorry you've always been sad about your lack of breast development.

Do you know if you're going with saline or silicone yet?

Here's what some doctors have to say about choosing the right size for you.