Good Experience All Around

My decision to try Active FX was not an easy...

My decision to try Active FX was not an easy decision because of the cost.   I was very careful to select a physician who had great knowledge and experience in this area.  I initially contacted my plastic surgeon who performed my reconstructive surgery following a mastectomy.  She is the Director of a Cosmetic Plastic Surgery Clinic and I was expecting that she would perform the procedure.  She directed me to a provider in Cosmetic Dermatology.

When I made my initial appointment for a consult, the staff indicated I would be able to schedule an earlier appointment if I was willing to see another member of the medical staff.  Based on my surgeon's recommendation, I decided to wait.  My advice, find THE best doctor in your area to perform this procedure.  I am convinced that satisfaction with the procedure and the end result is directly correlated to the expertise and experience of your provider.  Get referrals!!!

I'm broke and thrilled with my early results.  My choice to have Active FX was based on my age, I'm in my mid 50's, and my recent divorce.   I finally spent some of my hard earned money on myself rather than on attorney fees and maintaining a home that is not selling...I know, shocking....LOL.  My ex, who chose to "disappear" after I found out he had been unfaithful for many years and who then physically assaulted me twice prior to his disappearance, left me with all the work of maintaining and selling a large home while he continued with his "freewheeling" lifestyle.  This time, it was finally, after 23 years, all about me and I couldn't be more pleased.

Ann Arbor Dermatologist

Dr. Orringer is both a physician and professor of dermatology. He is the Director of U of M's Cosmetic Derm Clinic, with an impressive academic and medical background in laser resurfacing. His tremendous experience in this area is evidenced by the lack of discomfort I experienced during the procedure as well as my quick and complication-free recovery. I'm thrilled with my results!

Why does the price vary so much between all these reviews? I am considering the porcedure and have been quoted $4,000 by a plastic surgeon. I am only 45 minutes from A2 and used to live there. Should I go there? I am having face, neck, chest and eyes.
Why is there such a difference in the prices that everyone has paid for this procedure?
They will provide you with a fairly strong anti-anxiety med. And yes, they will tell you, you cannot drive. I had to drive to A2 from Kazoo alone. I parked in the ramp and told them my friend was going to pick me up...she was supposed and at the last minute could not. As they have you sit in the waiting area afterward with ice packs, you do have some time to allow the meds to wear off. I have a very high metabolism and any type of med, including anesthesia, wears off quickly. When my pal informed me she couldn't pick me up, I told the office staff she was waiting for me. I got my car and drove to her house, a few miles from the Clinic near the stadium. I had a few cups of coffee with her and then drove back to Kazoo.......no problem. Just don't let them know that you are driving yourself. If need be, you can always hangout in the hospital lounge for a while. No one will notice your face...the patients coming and going from U of M have such critical illnesses, others seldom if ever would notice or think to pass judgment. Good Luck. Dr. Orringer does a fabulous job! And don't tattle on me LOL My surgeon caught me last spring when I had to drive myself for a brief stay in the hospital ... as i had my car, I sneaked out of the hospital for a chocolate shake from the Washtenaw Dairy...They are THE best!!!! Even though she was in surgery at the time, she caught wind of my escapade and I was busted. Luckily she has a great sense of humor...
Hi Jane; Actually, it is my understanding that Deep FX would be the more likely choice for scar removal. I'm not positive. Again, if you search "Jeffrey Orringer" and "laser skin treatment" or "Total FX" I think you'll find your answers. I'm in Kalamazoo and the 90 minute drive to A2 has been worth it from day one. The docs in the cancer center designed the treatment plan for my 84 year old dad in 2005 when he was diagnosed with Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. He lives in a small community in Wisconsin and his doc was recommending a treatment plan that had not been protocol for more than ten years. I finally convinced him to go the the "U" with me. They saved his life! When he became gravely ill from the radiation treatments, he tried contacting his oncologist in Wisconsin. He was told to call back on Tuesday, this was a Saturday. I told my dad to email his doc at the 'U". This physician had seen my dad one time for about 20 minutes. My dad emailed him and Dr. Al-Ziubi(sp?)called my dad the next morning,Sunday,at 9:00 AM. My dad stills tells this story because he was so moved that this man cared enough about him to call him on a Sunday morning. I think the docs at the "U" are all, for the most part, very special folks who care deeply about their profession, their patients and their research. I'd stick with Orringer! Merry Christmas to you, too. Stay warm!
Hi, I'm having the Total FX done by Dr. Orringer later this month, and I think your results are terrific! I'm happy for you, and hope I have good results too! My question for you is this, did you have to take any anti-anxiety meds or other pain meds that would prevent you from driving yourself home from this procedure? Or, did you have someone drive you? What did they do for you before the actual procedure? Thanks for letting me know....
Thanks for your response..I am glad that you enjoyed great success. You look wonderful!I will jot these names in my book for future reference. My daughter has very, very mild acne scars that I believe will heal with time but she saw a local dermatatologist that recommended active fx. It is a small practice and I am worried that they are trying to pay for the equipment. It seems that active fx is more for tightening skin...she is just 26. If we decide to explore further we will definitely make the drive to Ann Arbor. She had a Naturpathic Doc there for years so we are used to the drive. Thanks again~Merry Christmas! Jane
I found my Dr. through my plastic surgeon, Amy Alderman M.D., MPH, at U of M. Amy is the head of cosmetic plastic surgery and breast reconstruction at the U. She was my surgeon following a mastectomy. I was her first patient as an attending physician. Needless to say, she is a phenomenal surgeon and a brilliant and empathetic young woman. There is no person,other than my own father, who I trust more than Amy. My Dr. is also a brilliant young doctor who treats you as though you are family. He is an expert in the area of laser treatment and I would recommend him without reservation. It may take a while to get an appointment but it is worth the wait! He is in Cosmetic Dermatology at the U and if you "Google" him, you will find quite a bit of information about his research.
PLEASE PLEASE tell me how you researched your doctor. I have been on the phone all morning with the State of MI and they are no help at all. This is a big decision and I am worried about finding a competent physician. I have mild acne scars and don't want more damage than good. Please help...I am only 40 minutes from Ann Arbor~ Thank you so much...your treatment looks effective and you look great!
Yes, the doctor SHOULD put shields on your eyes. I did not find them at all uncomfortable. Basically the shield is like having a contact in your eye. No big deal. Then again, I've had two retinal tears that had to be lasered........now THAT is painful! I've also had a mastectomy and reconstruction, a blood clot which led to thrombophlebitis, and several arterial blood draws after I was accidentally poisoned by carbon monoxide in a college apt. The Total FX procedure was basically painless. I had a great doc, and probably have a high pain tolerance. I used a relaxation program before and during the procedure. I downloaded the program off Amazon onto my Ipod for a whopping $.99. It helped me stay focused on deep breathing and relaxation. It worked so well that the doc's assistant asked me, at one point during the procedure, if I was still with them. The team told me I was the most relaxed patient on whom they performed Total FX. For $.99, it's worth a try. The name of the download is "Drifting Downstream" by Kimeron Hardin. Good Luck
I have been reading alot online about Active FX and Deep FX. I went for a free consultation with a doctor I personally know. He explained I thought everything until I found a couple of other stories of people who had this done or both. I just want to know did they put a sheild of some type on your eyeballs? I have read this but doesnt seem it is mentioned much. The ones who did mention it said it was really uncomfortable Could anyone share more info on this? Thank you!
Kenai21, Thank you very much. I'm not in a hurry, so take your time !!
I am visiting family so I have take a close up of my eyes for you. I will not be able to post until I return home late on Sunday. As soon as I get back to Michigan, I'll post the close ups w and w/o makeup. I broke out in the last three days for the first time in years. I don't know if that's a positive or a negative ;-D LOL BB
Thank you so much for posting your pictures. I was wondering if you maybe have a close-up photo from the eye area, from the final result after the treatment. If you have a picture can you please post this ?
I am going in on Friday for Active FX. Wish me luck! Thanks for your story.
He was recommended to me by my plastic surgeon who is also at the "U" and she is amazing. I was told that he has an international reputation, having patients from oversees who travel to A2 for his care. Although it is a bit more costly at the "U," when it comes to my face, I want the best medical care available to me. The clinic staff was very helpful and supportive. I'm not a fan of Novocaine injections and was a bit concerned about needing them. I'm happy to say that I made it through with little pain and the only real discomfort I experienced occurred in the last two minutes of the procedure. I used a relaxation program I downloaded from Amazon for a whopping 99 cents and listened to it while I waited for the gel to numb my face. I was allowed to bring my IPod into the procedure room and listened to it during the procedure, as well. It was a great way to focus on something other than the procedure.
Thanks for your reply. I will definitely read Dr. Orringer's research. Actually, he treated me for a couple of minor things last year and I felt very comfortable with him. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that he was your doctor!
As of today, two weeks post procedure, I have a few small scars from having had some moles removed that are still apparent as is a pore that had become quite noticeable. I expect that these will begin to dissipate over the next several months. If you are seriously considering ACTIVE and DEEP FX, you can find good academic articles on the procedure if you Google "Jeffrey Orringer"AND"laser resurfacing." He has conducted substantial research on the latest technologies available for skin resurfacing. The research clearly indicates that Deep and Active FX will help remove scarring. However, the research also states that it can take up to six months to see the total result of the treatment. In other words, you will not see immediate results. My understanding is that it takes at least three weeks for the collagen to begin regenerating after the treatment. University research may provide you with unbiased information that is not anecdotal, unlike this forum. We all have our own definition of "success" and/or "satisfaction." I hope you will take the time to read Dr. Orringer's research.
Could you tell me if this procedure helped reduce any scarring you may have had. Do you have any problems with pigment as a result of the procedure? Please keep us updated as to your progress. You look great so far!
You look great. I'd say you got your money's worth and then some. You look ten years younger from the first pic.
Karen, Yes, you are correct, my upper lids are less saggy. Runs in my family ;-( I sent my photos to my doc yesterday as he is located 95 miles from my home. He sent me an email stating that I had excellent results. I also spoke with his RN/PA? today. She told me my results were great, as well. My doc and his asst told me that adhering to post treatment protocol is the secret to having great results. They explained I would feel like I had a sunburn for about three hours, post treatment. Like clockwork, they were right on target. I could have used the ice a bit more frequently the first day but having to drive 95 miles home a few hours after the treatment precluded me from icing every hour. I was diligent with the vinegar soaks, using sterile gauze, soaking it in the solution and keeping it on my face for extended periods of time. I also slathered on Aquaphor as often as necessary using the feeling of "tightness" on my face as my guide. Finally, appearing in public was never an issue. Although it was obvious that I had something "wrong" with my face, I never felt self conscious going out in public. I think having a mastectomy cures you of those issues and I never thought I looked all that bad. Best of luck to you, Karen.
Yippee ... I have been checking daily for your posting and lo and behold, it's finally here! Your skin looks so fresh and bright. Your eyes pop with joy and they are so youthful looking. That is incredible. I am so happy the procedure was a success for you. If you compare your before and after shots, it's not only the skin under your eyes, but the skin above your eyes is also tighter. Thank you so much for sharing your journey and your photos, as well as enlightening us to the fact nine days of "healing" is more of a reality. I'm looking forward to future postings. Enjoy!
Here are a few more photos, the photos w/ black shirt were taken five days after the procedure, the first photo w/ blue shell is eight days after w/o makeup and the last is eight days after w/ makeup. My experience has been 100 % positive having had no complications or discomfort. It is my opinion that finding a cosmetic dermatologist who has researched, is well-versed and has performed many Active FX treatments is the key to a complication-free and positive experience. The research I've read from the University of Michigan indicates it will take AT LEAST three weeks, post procedure, before a patient begins to see noticeable results because the skin begins to regenerate collagen at that point. As you can see, nine days after my procedure, there is a noticeable difference in my skin, especially under my eyes.
You look great! We're all looking forward to the progress. Thank you for sharing. This is on my list of things to do. Maybe I'll take your dad's advice and do it just before Halloween! Thank you again.