Surgery with Dr. Grigoryants - Glendale, CA

I am in my 40's. I have wanted this all my life...

I am in my 40's. I have wanted this all my life but was afraid what it would say to my daughter. I realize now I should have done it a long time ago, and told her: If there is something you can do to feel better or happier, and not hurt anyone else, by all means do it! Life is way to short to be unhappy every time you look in the mirror. And your confidence effects everything you do in your life. Maybe if I had more confidence I would not have gotten stepped on so often, and had more career success. I realize now I deserve to be happy, too bad I did not learn that in my youth.
I started putting money in a savings account from each pay check years ago until I had the money to cover the surgery and the trips. I quit my job and got two consults. One in Seattle and one in Glendale. I was worried the Dr. in Seattle would not do enough to change my nose. I have seen reviews on realself where girls felt their noses were not that different and all that money was gone. I felt the before and after results of Dr. G were more in line with what I wanted. So I called and scheduled the surgery.
I was really, really afraid about doing this so I just tried not to think about it. We drove 17 hours to get to Glendale. Really long drive but it would be easier to take all the things I might need for after.
I was really nervous the night before but not much I could do. They did NOT send me the list of things to avoid prior to surgery so I avoided nothing. I wish I had gotten it prior to the surgery though. Be sure the morning of the surgery to tell Dr exactly what you want, even if you have gone over it all before. He has a lot of patients. I wish I had made a few things clearer, but my bad not his. The nurse could not find my vein and had to dig for it. I have never experienced that before, it was awful. She was super sweet though. Everyone was really nice.
When I woke up they gave me a shot and me and my husband were off to the hotel for the most boring week ever. The dvd player did not work and I was really counting on watching movies to pass the time. Did not bring the laptop so out of luck there. My tablet does not stream movies very well. I did not sleep much. Sleeping sitting up is pretty hard and not being able to breathe through my nose made it worse. I had cotton mouth all week. I was pretty freaked out wondering if I had done the right thing. My husband tried to reassure me, even though he really thought I looked fine before. I had the cast off after 6 days.
He shortened my nose, adjusted the cartilage so it was more symmetrical on each side, shaved down a small bump, and refined the tip. I think he lifted it too, which I did not really want but I think it will be fine. He assured me it will drop. I don't think it looks all that much different because it is still really swollen. But others think it looks great. Only told a few people. The rest I hope don't notice. Maybe I will cut my hair and blame the change on that. All and all I am happy. If you have questions don't hesitate to ask. The pict is after. Will post befores later.

before

feeling good about my decision.

I am feeling really happy about my decision. I wish the black eye would go away so I could leave the house. Since I am stuffed up we are just saying I am sick.

profile

Question to other Dr. Grigoryants patients

As I read other reviews for other Dr.'s, people talk about a lot of follow up care and pushing on their nose? Does anyone that lives close to Dr. G go through that or does he always just say 3 month and 1 year followups or does it just depend on the nose? Thanks!!

More befores

Sept 29th

Sorry if I seem a little down on some of the comments. Especially when most of Dr. G's other patients seem over the moon happy. As I mentioned above I quit my job and went for it. Well after surgery I have nothing to focus on but my nose. I am now an empty nester, with no job and a husband that works all day. Leaves you will a lot of time to get neurotic! As if I was not already there to begin with ; ). But, I have wanted this for 30+ years, since grade school. I guess when you fantasize about something for so long you sort of build it into this big...i don't know Cinderella story in your head (damn that Walt Disney!!) They tell you not to expect perfection but it is hard after dreaming for so long. And, my husband and I agreed to wait a little while before I go back to work so as not to upset or hinder the healing process. The result...I have lots of free time to stress over every minute detail. But I think it is probably good to share this part of the "healing" process for me, in case someone else is going through the same thing. Might make it a bit easier for them knowing they are not alone.

update

Today I took some pictures and compared them with some I had taken the week I got home. The swelling has improved. I think I look better. I don't want anyone to think i regret doing this, because i don't in any way. I do regret that I did not think a few things through and wish I would have had a clearer picture of what the end result would be. I am thankful every day that I did this. If I had not done it, I know I would have regretted it everyday for the rest of my life. And honestly if something bothers me enough.. I can have it corrected in 2+ yrs. I don't see that happening but who knows what tomorrow will bring.. :-)

not wearing glasses is a pain

One of the hardest things in this whole process is having to wear contacts. I have severe dry eye. I have worn glasses for years. I know..I hate them too, but at a certain age comfort starts come a bit before fashion. My eyes are doing a little better than they were in the beginning but at the end of the day they are killing me. One nice thing is I can say, when people say I look great, I am not wearing my glasses that must be what you are seeing.

It is starting to look a little more like me now when I look in the mirror. Still feels really weird to touch it and it is still a bit numb.

3/4 shots as requested.

The tip is really bulbous still. And you can see how high the radix or root is. Taken yesterday, Oct 10th. I am still taping at night but not sure if that helps a lot or not. Had a really salty meal the other day and man did my nose blow up!! It was huge. Definitely avoiding the salt now. Bland food here I come. : (

update- don't be too conservative!

I am still not sure about my results. I definitely look better. I am almost 2 months out so I will update picts. The biggest mistake I made was not studying noses and not really knowing for sure what I wanted and fighting for it. I was a bit wishy washy so nothing was done with the radix and I really wish it had been. But not the Dr.'s fault, all mine. Healing has been fine. My nose was shortened and the two cuts at the base of my nose are a bummer. I hope they get less noticeable. My nose still feels weird, I guess it takes a long time to heal, especially now that I am older. The confidence boost many of the other girls have has not happened with me yet. My husband says my nose was not as bad as some of the others so not as dramatic at the reveal. I wish it was a bit more dramatic. The swelling is hard for everyone. You expect results right away but if you had tip work and not large hump you will not get results for 6 months to a year. The girls with humps see results day one. The other thing that is hard for me is my smile. I did not think the smile would be so affected but I still smile way differently than I did. My upper lip does not move much, I think that just heals slowly also. The other I talk with who had a rhino was too conservative with her changes like me and she is not that happy either. But again not Drs fault. My tip is still bulbous but I am hoping it is swelling and will resolve with time. The one thing that burst my bubble was the one friend I told...when she saw me after said I did not look any different. So don't be afraid and be too conservative. No one will notice the change even if dramatic. They do just say "wow you look great", if they say anything, but they can't figure out what changed. People say it on her but you don't believe it until you live it. I would still recommend Dr. to anyone. He is a very skilled surgeon. I just scared myself and was psyched out so I did not do my research on what I really wanted. It was not really painful with the meds. Just miserable for a week with the cast on. That was the worst of it, so don't be afraid of that part.

still bulbous tip....swelling I hope.

nothing new

Not much to report. The tip has dropped from post cast height and i am really thankful for that. The tip is still pretty hard and swollen. Sounds crazy but I am still taping. The shape is much better in the morning when I do. I figure it cannot hurt.. Some days i look in the mirror and the swelling is down and i get really hopeful about the finished product. As long as the tip ends up less bulbous than now I will be happy. How are all of you Dr G. Patients feeling?

No change :-(

There is still not the refinement in the tip I wanted to see. I think it it still too bulbous. Dr said to wait but it is hard when you see so many of his other patients with amazing results. Makes me wonder why his work on me is not so good. :'(. Definitely thinking revision, $$$ :-(.

not much improvement

The tip has still not refined. At 4 months I am not sure much more will change from here out. The one thing that really disappoints me is that I asked to have the curve in on the left side of my nose filled in. As the swelling went down I could clearly see nothing had been done to that side. : (

can't believe a year is almost up

It has gone by fast. My nose still feels funny sometimes. The tip has really softened up. I'll try to get some updated picts posted soon. Hope everyone out there is doing great!
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon

He was good. Be sure to make what you want clear, he is really busy. But...it's your nose. No one called me after surgery. I would definitely recommend him to anyone. The girls in the office are hard to understand sometimes because of the accents.