Surgery with Dr. Grigoryants - Glendale, CA

I am in my 40's. I have wanted this all my life...

I am in my 40's. I have wanted this all my life but was afraid what it would say to my daughter. I realize now I should have done it a long time ago, and told her: If there is something you can do to feel better or happier, and not hurt anyone else, by all means do it! Life is way to short to be unhappy every time you look in the mirror. And your confidence effects everything you do in your life. Maybe if I had more confidence I would not have gotten stepped on so often, and had more career success. I realize now I deserve to be happy, too bad I did not learn that in my youth.
I started putting money in a savings account from each pay check years ago until I had the money to cover the surgery and the trips. I quit my job and got two consults. One in Seattle and one in Glendale. I was worried the Dr. in Seattle would not do enough to change my nose. I have seen reviews on realself where girls felt their noses were not that different and all that money was gone. I felt the before and after results of Dr. G were more in line with what I wanted. So I called and scheduled the surgery.
I was really, really afraid about doing this so I just tried not to think about it. We drove 17 hours to get to Glendale. Really long drive but it would be easier to take all the things I might need for after.
I was really nervous the night before but not much I could do. They did NOT send me the list of things to avoid prior to surgery so I avoided nothing. I wish I had gotten it prior to the surgery though. Be sure the morning of the surgery to tell Dr exactly what you want, even if you have gone over it all before. He has a lot of patients. I wish I had made a few things clearer, but my bad not his. The nurse could not find my vein and had to dig for it. I have never experienced that before, it was awful. She was super sweet though. Everyone was really nice.
When I woke up they gave me a shot and me and my husband were off to the hotel for the most boring week ever. The dvd player did not work and I was really counting on watching movies to pass the time. Did not bring the laptop so out of luck there. My tablet does not stream movies very well. I did not sleep much. Sleeping sitting up is pretty hard and not being able to breathe through my nose made it worse. I had cotton mouth all week. I was pretty freaked out wondering if I had done the right thing. My husband tried to reassure me, even though he really thought I looked fine before. I had the cast off after 6 days.
He shortened my nose, adjusted the cartilage so it was more symmetrical on each side, shaved down a small bump, and refined the tip. I think he lifted it too, which I did not really want but I think it will be fine. He assured me it will drop. I don't think it looks all that much different because it is still really swollen. But others think it looks great. Only told a few people. The rest I hope don't notice. Maybe I will cut my hair and blame the change on that. All and all I am happy. If you have questions don't hesitate to ask. The pict is after. Will post befores later.

before

feeling good about my decision.

I am feeling really happy about my decision. I wish the black eye would go away so I could leave the house. Since I am stuffed up we are just saying I am sick.

profile

Question to other Dr. Grigoryants patients

As I read other reviews for other Dr.'s, people talk about a lot of follow up care and pushing on their nose? Does anyone that lives close to Dr. G go through that or does he always just say 3 month and 1 year followups or does it just depend on the nose? Thanks!!

More befores

Sept 29th

Sorry if I seem a little down on some of the comments. Especially when most of Dr. G's other patients seem over the moon happy. As I mentioned above I quit my job and went for it. Well after surgery I have nothing to focus on but my nose. I am now an empty nester, with no job and a husband that works all day. Leaves you will a lot of time to get neurotic! As if I was not already there to begin with ; ). But, I have wanted this for 30+ years, since grade school. I guess when you fantasize about something for so long you sort of build it into this big...i don't know Cinderella story in your head (damn that Walt Disney!!) They tell you not to expect perfection but it is hard after dreaming for so long. And, my husband and I agreed to wait a little while before I go back to work so as not to upset or hinder the healing process. The result...I have lots of free time to stress over every minute detail. But I think it is probably good to share this part of the "healing" process for me, in case someone else is going through the same thing. Might make it a bit easier for them knowing they are not alone.

update

Today I took some pictures and compared them with some I had taken the week I got home. The swelling has improved. I think I look better. I don't want anyone to think i regret doing this, because i don't in any way. I do regret that I did not think a few things through and wish I would have had a clearer picture of what the end result would be. I am thankful every day that I did this. If I had not done it, I know I would have regretted it everyday for the rest of my life. And honestly if something bothers me enough.. I can have it corrected in 2+ yrs. I don't see that happening but who knows what tomorrow will bring.. :-)

not wearing glasses is a pain

One of the hardest things in this whole process is having to wear contacts. I have severe dry eye. I have worn glasses for years. I know..I hate them too, but at a certain age comfort starts come a bit before fashion. My eyes are doing a little better than they were in the beginning but at the end of the day they are killing me. One nice thing is I can say, when people say I look great, I am not wearing my glasses that must be what you are seeing.

It is starting to look a little more like me now when I look in the mirror. Still feels really weird to touch it and it is still a bit numb.

3/4 shots as requested.

The tip is really bulbous still. And you can see how high the radix or root is. Taken yesterday, Oct 10th. I am still taping at night but not sure if that helps a lot or not. Had a really salty meal the other day and man did my nose blow up!! It was huge. Definitely avoiding the salt now. Bland food here I come. : (

update- don't be too conservative!

I am still not sure about my results. I definitely look better. I am almost 2 months out so I will update picts. The biggest mistake I made was not studying noses and not really knowing for sure what I wanted and fighting for it. I was a bit wishy washy so nothing was done with the radix and I really wish it had been. But not the Dr.'s fault, all mine. Healing has been fine. My nose was shortened and the two cuts at the base of my nose are a bummer. I hope they get less noticeable. My nose still feels weird, I guess it takes a long time to heal, especially now that I am older. The confidence boost many of the other girls have has not happened with me yet. My husband says my nose was not as bad as some of the others so not as dramatic at the reveal. I wish it was a bit more dramatic. The swelling is hard for everyone. You expect results right away but if you had tip work and not large hump you will not get results for 6 months to a year. The girls with humps see results day one. The other thing that is hard for me is my smile. I did not think the smile would be so affected but I still smile way differently than I did. My upper lip does not move much, I think that just heals slowly also. The other I talk with who had a rhino was too conservative with her changes like me and she is not that happy either. But again not Drs fault. My tip is still bulbous but I am hoping it is swelling and will resolve with time. The one thing that burst my bubble was the one friend I told...when she saw me after said I did not look any different. So don't be afraid and be too conservative. No one will notice the change even if dramatic. They do just say "wow you look great", if they say anything, but they can't figure out what changed. People say it on her but you don't believe it until you live it. I would still recommend Dr. to anyone. He is a very skilled surgeon. I just scared myself and was psyched out so I did not do my research on what I really wanted. It was not really painful with the meds. Just miserable for a week with the cast on. That was the worst of it, so don't be afraid of that part.

still bulbous tip....swelling I hope.

nothing new

Not much to report. The tip has dropped from post cast height and i am really thankful for that. The tip is still pretty hard and swollen. Sounds crazy but I am still taping. The shape is much better in the morning when I do. I figure it cannot hurt.. Some days i look in the mirror and the swelling is down and i get really hopeful about the finished product. As long as the tip ends up less bulbous than now I will be happy. How are all of you Dr G. Patients feeling?

No change :-(

There is still not the refinement in the tip I wanted to see. I think it it still too bulbous. Dr said to wait but it is hard when you see so many of his other patients with amazing results. Makes me wonder why his work on me is not so good. :'(. Definitely thinking revision, $$$ :-(.

not much improvement

The tip has still not refined. At 4 months I am not sure much more will change from here out. The one thing that really disappoints me is that I asked to have the curve in on the left side of my nose filled in. As the swelling went down I could clearly see nothing had been done to that side. : (
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon

He was good. Be sure to make what you want clear, he is really busy. But...it's your nose. No one called me after surgery. I would definitely recommend him to anyone. The girls in the office are hard to understand sometimes because of the accents.

Hello, I hope that you are well. I was wondering if you may provide feeback on the doctor and his staff? I thought I was completely sure I was going with Dr. G but after contacting his office to set up a surgery date and the receptionist being extremely unprofessional Im not so sure. Thanks.
Hey! Your tip swelling will still go down a lot over the next few months! It really takes foreverrrrr for the tip to go down. Also, some days my nose seems to curve a little to the right. Then the next day, it looks straight and balanced. (I'm almost 10 months post-op after septo-rhinoplasty with Dr. G). Some people told me they couldn't tell I had the surgery either, where I see a huge difference. Just remember no one stares at your nose the way you do. (I still have to remind myself of that fact... all the time). But congrats, you really look amazing!
Thanks. You results are fantastic!
I see what you mean about the slight curve. Sometimes things seem more noticeable when we zero in on them. I want to say: look around at everyone's noses... even beautiful noses. They are not perfect, especially at the straight on angle. People generally do not see us from the straight on view, it is unrealistic in a 3D world. But to counter that, I know I say to myself: well I paid good money so I *should* have a *more* perfect nose. I am trying not to be pessimistic as well and think, will it even get better from here on out? It has to, OKAY! It WILL get better for us because swelling takes time. Maybe your surgeon addressed the slight indentation by mirroring it on the other side and that's why it is swollen? Just make up excuses from here until the 1.5 mark. Then in a couple years, we can begin telling ourselves that humans are not perfect and therefore cannot create a perfect nose.... :) Be patient with me!!! And refer to our before photos...
By the way, of course your nose looks beautiful. But I've already told you that and I feel like it passes right through you but for anyone who hasn't read all my comments prior to this (haha um no one), they wouldn't know you know I think your nose looks great.
Thanks I appreciate it! I do hear you when you say you paid big bucks and feel that you deserve an amazing end result for the time and money that was spent though. I appreciate the feed back though, it helps hearing from others who are impartial so you can trust the comments.
I do not understand you. Your nose looked crooked and wide before and it is straight and slimmer now. Your tip is clearly swollen because your surgery was only 4 months ago. Even then it looks so much better than before. I would honestly be very happy with your result already. My sister's nose did not shrink until it was close to two years after surgery. I would love to see how your nose looks one year after surgery.
I have to agree. Your nose looks good. I wish mine turned out that nice in my first surgery. I think you should be thrilled with these results. Rhinoplasty is not a since and not a guarantee.
Thanks that is really helpful to know. I am older so I guess I should expect a longer healing time before I see results than others.
Hello, i think your nose looks fantastic, honestly, saying this as a very critical person. Good that you point out not to expect too much- i did not have a bump, and my nose needed only minor correction- as a result 9 days after, i dont see anything, just that because of all the swelling it is worse than before. :)
Your results are outstanding. A lot of people wish for results like yours. If my nose turned out like yours I would have been thrilled. You should be greatful your rhinoplasty was conservative and your nose shows much improvement not to mention a much nicer nose. Thank your lucky stars it turned out so well. Many of us seeking a revision because we were not that lucky.
So I was just reviewing your photos after sending you my obnoxiously long message and again and want to say there is a noticeable improvement once the cast was off. Of course as I said before, your nose wasn't by any means "jacked" prior to surgery (haha I don't think I'd ever say ANYONE'S nose is jacked hence the quotations)... but it is just more refined and smoother/more petite/feminine afterwards. I can see how it swelled a lot after the cast came off and maybe you haven't seen much improvement without really comparing old photos or earlier in the healing process. Many people use the rule of thumb if it looks good after cast removal...I don't know I didn't like mine after it was off but liked it more in time. I read something the other day about how some surgeons use those shots...steroids was it...I think so. They inject that stuff to decrease swelling because excessive swelling can cause scar tissue which isn't going to help minimize size in the long run. I don't know how true it is because I didn't get shots and I had a balloon nose afterwards (my observation/feeling) and wasn't offered any and I find my surgeon to be very credible and trustworthy. I think he just gets annoyed with people putting a magnifying glass to their faces. Understandable. My point is, your nose is beautiful, I am confident time will resolve many things for all of us. It looks as though it swelled an expected amount and everything is on track. But if you are able, maybe persistently trying to get a hold of your surgeon to get some relief could be beneficial. Only he knows what he did to your nose but from am outsiders perspective, sit back and enjoy the ride because doing anything else will not speed up time/your body's healing.
By the way, I am sticking to my story that your results are fantastic. I say that because I have seen shots of more than the nose. If your full face photos were posted, I bet you would receive a lot more compliments too.
Thanks! Have you seen much of a reduction in the swelling in your tip?
Hey there, sorry to hear that you are disappointed. I must say that I've had my days of frustration with my surgery results in the last couple weeks as well. In my case, I only had tip work done, so when I saw how impressive other people's results have been, I was regretting not having done a little slope, and not having had my tip raised more. To top it off, I visited family for a couple weeks and my nose became so dry because of the heater there, that it was hard to breathe. I felt mildly depressed about it for a few days- paid all this money to improve my breathing and my look and both results were questionable. My hubby pointed out that my breathing has improved, that I don't remember how bad it was, and he is totally right about that. As for the cosmetic part, it is just simply too soon to judge. That goes for both of us. I also know that self acceptance has always been an issue for me, so I take my opinion regarding my looks, with a grain of salt, lol. I do look forward to meeting with Dr. G again, and looking into the possibility of a revision to raise the tip and too create a slope. I always look forward to your updates and will hold space for you to eventually be happy with your outcome.
Thank you for the kind words and sentiment! I am happy to hear from you. I have been checking to see if you posted any new picts or updates. I am hoping for the best of final outcomes for both of us too. I'm sorry you have some concerns about your results as well. I am keeping my fingers crossed that in a year we will be singing a different tune!
Hey! Sorry to hear you haven't seen much change. I am in that same boat! Of course, as suggested below...looking at before photos and comparing and just trying to see the bigger picture is important. My tip is so chunky, and looks more terrible in photos than person (I think!) and it's been more than 4 months you know...so, long process! I have my complaints but am trying to just remember my old nose (sometimes hard at this point) and wait until the "wrinkles iron themselves out" in the coming year. If not, I'll address it then. For now enjoy the improvements! :)
Oops posted my answer to you under lera 72 some how.. Thanks again for the support!!
Support is crucial during this part...all parts, this part, especially. Because the mind can run wild and hurt us! Thank you for your support, too!
I think your nose looks great. He did a very nice job fixing your profile and your front is by far better than it was before. I suggest looking at your before pictures and compare them to now. I think you will be surprised how much better your nose looks now than it did before. I don't think you need a revision and frankly revisions are far more complex than the primary. I am sure if something needed to be fixed or a touch up needed Dr. G would be happy to do it. He has always been good that way. I was going to go with him for my revision but decided on someone else only because he doesn't have as much experience in a revision with grafts I needed. Otherwise I think he does a great job and is a very nice doctor.
Hi - I hope things will get better for you. It's still early to judge the finsl results. Thanks for the update.
Hi, I was actually expecting phone call from Dr. G's office for 3 months appointment - but I guess I have to remind them about myself :) . As far as my progress here... I am very pleased with my profile- bridge also looks good , but tip from the front view ... not really big improvement after 3 months ... I was very happy and was waiting to see smaller tip from the front view - but it's not getting that much smaller . I hope - it's just a swelling ... :(
Hi, thanks. I am not saying it is not an improvement, but just not the improvement i was looking for. I don't look like any of the awesome before and afters on his page or like on this site.. And honestly that was my biggest fear going in, that i would spend a small fortune and not get what i wanted, a totally different nose. Sorry to be a bit negative. Just want to be honest on here. But thank you so much for the kindness and support it really means a lot!
Hi, it has been 5 months for you now. How is you healing process going? Has your tip improved?
Hi ! I feel the same way ... and also sorry for being negative ... but not too much positive thoughts at this time . It's funny how you wrote about " before and after " pictures on the web - was thinking the same thing ... tip is not improved at all - in fact my front looks the same as was before ... my profile - is ok . I was reading a lot mostly on European sites - good news for me is that I still don't feel my tip and when I smile my skin feels really tight which means that it's still swelling and until it is - I won't see any improvement :) , so there is some hope :)