Permalip - Lots of Pictures and Info! - Glasgow, UK

Hello all, I thought I'd write about my...

Hello all,

I thought I'd write about my experience with Permalip because I want to help others who have considered the procedure, who may not know what it involves.

First of all I'd just like to say that if this is something that you want to get done - then please don't be put off by what others will think/say. It's your life, and you only get one face! You may as well make it the best it can be! And if thin lips are holding you back, then Permalip is the way to go. Anyone who has anything negative to say doesn't know what it is like to be you.

The reason I say all this ^ is because my boyfriend begged me not to get this done. My sister and a few friends thought I was stupid, and my parents went mad and didn't understand at all. I have wanted fuller lips for YEARS, but the drama it caused made me think of not going through with it at all. But it's been almost a week and I'm so glad I did!

At 22, my asymmetrical thin lips had bothered me since the age of 16 when I thought the gap between my nose and mouth was too large and I would push my lip up in the mirror to fill the gap. I just told myself to get over it, but I never really did. Whenever I laughed or smiled with teeth my upper lip vanished completely. I hated pictures where I was smiling.

The final straw came at my graduation last July, where I got a professional photo done. I looked like a snake, with an evil thin-lipped grin all in high definition. I didn't look like the girly person I felt inside and it really upset me :( That was when I decided to try fillers.

I got fillers in December, which had faded by February, so I got them again in February. I loved them but my lips deflated so fast, it was depressing. And at £200 a pop it wasn't worth it.

In March I found this website and did some intense, obsessive research into Permalip. I LOVED how natural the implants looked, and how much of a difference they made to a persons face! I knew I had to have this done so I could stop poking at my lip in the mirror, trying to do tricks with make-up to pretend I had full lips. I wanted to feel cute and feminine without make-up. (I do now!)

I looked into various surgeons and clinics, and finally went with Mr. Taimur Shoaib of La Belle Forme clinic in Glasgow. It was at least a 3 hour train ride away from my home in Manchester, but his reviews were all good and the price was only £1,595 for both lips, which was extremely good value for someone with so much experience. I decided I was going to do this.

I saved up enough to afford the Permalip procedure, and went up to Glasgow for my consultation. When I got outside the clinic I was suddenly very nervous and felt vain and stupid, but the ladies at reception were warm and welcoming.
Mr. Shoaib was understanding and helpful, and let me look at the implants which are like clear gummy worms which taper off at either end. They were very flexible and stretchy, which meant the implants would be able to move with my lips in different expressions once I was fully healed.
He recommended the 5mm (biggest) straight away as he said one of the main problems with 3mm and 4mm implants is that people complain there isn't enough difference afterwards. Of course I was delighted with 5mm. He measured my lip width which was 55mm and ordered the implants for me.

On the 26th June I went back up to Glasgow for my Permalip procedure. I was led into a room for the surgery with a bed in the middle. I was a little bit alarmed as Mr. Shoaib and his assistant were in scrubs and there were metal instruments everywhere. I don't know what else I expected, I guess it only just hit me what I was doing.

They were so friendly and warm, I felt really comfortable. Mr. Shoaib talked me through everything he was doing and made sure I was okay, which was reassuring! His assistant was very supportive and told me I was doing well and things. She was really sweet.

Firstly I got my face sterilised and had the local anaesthetic. I have a very high threshold for pain but there was something about being injected through my upper gums into my cheekbones that made my eyes bulge and tears stream down my face. I thought "oh my god what am I doing?!" I had 2 of those horrible shots and then through my lower gums into my chin, 1 on both upper and lower gum webbing, in that space between nose and mouth, and multiple into my lips (I lost count at that point). I am not going to beat around the bush here - it was the worst pain imaginable!

Then again I'm sure it would have been a lot more painful to have had the implants inserted without it! Lol. It didn't take long, and my whole face felt very numb. Mr. Shoaib pulled at my lips and I felt nothing. The procedure began and I heard him snip the corners of my mouth. It sounded like when you cut bacon. Gross. I just closed my eyes at this point.

There was a lot of tugging and pulling going on, no pain. He did the stitches and everything and we were done in about 15 minutes? It was crazy. He just knew exactly what he was doing, it was great.

After the procedure I was NOT ready for my reflection. I was shown a mirror and nearly collapsed. I felt a bit mean for sounding disappointed but I never expected to look so terrible! I made sure to take lots of horrible pictures so others know what they're getting themselves into. I guess some people don't swell up as bad as I did? Oh well, be warned that THIS COULD BE YOU!

Seriously I looked like a monster. I didn't look human. I ran straight to the toilets and tried to make it look better with make-up because I still had 4 hours of trains to catch. My lips were red and angry and sore, and had swollen up so huge, all the way up to my nose! They stuck out further than my nose like a beak, except it was a beak made out of balloons. I wondered if it would ever go down, that I had made a mistake.

The worst part was the journey home. I have purple hair so I was already attracting attention... but with my swollen duck face it just brought on so much more staring and muttering. On crammed sweaty trains too. It was horrible. Couldn't believe how rude people were being, a man did a double take and then held his gaze for at least 10 seconds! I would recommend taking a scarf or having someone drive you there so you don't have to go through what I did.

As the anaesthetic wore off that night, the pain set in at full force. For about 2 days I was on ibuprofen, which worked amazingly! I had paracetamol but it didn't work as well. Couldn't do the tiniest smile without it hurting, definitely couldn't laugh.
Couldn't eat/drink without extreme difficulty for the first 2 days, as you can see from my pics I was extremely raw and could barely move my mouth.

I wanted to make sure I got all the right nutrients for good healing, and made compromises because it was so hard to eat/drink on day 1 and 2.

I ate weetabix with milk for fiber and dairy, had protein shakes, fruit smoothies and chicken slices.

By day 4 things were a LOT easier and I even ate chips, ice cream and pringles! I could even smile and laugh freely (although it looks a bit stiff, even now - but hey, progress!)

It is now day 5/6 and I can eat/drink/talk/laugh like a champ, healing beautifully! I think I'm still a bit swollen because I don't look *quite* right and smiling feels a bit stiff.

I feel so pretty and happy, I'd definitely recommend this!

Swelling down, more natural look!

It's day 7 and over the past 2 days I have noticed my lips deflating and felt a bit worried (such a contrast to last week!) but then I realised that it was a good thing because I've noticed they're doing less of the sticking-out-at-the-side-too-much unnatural duck thing.

Here is a picture of me and my lips looking totally natural! So glad I can laugh and smile and everything normally now. Happy!

Boyfriend & family return home and give their opinions!

It's day 16 post op and everything is going great.

I can eat, drink, suck a straw, laugh, pull faces, everything! Except whistle, but that's the price you pay for full lips!
The implants are feeling softer, my lips are feeling more sensitive, and they're looking more natural, too. And by natural I don't mean my lips are deflating to their old thin size, I mean they are looking less balloon/tube-like and becoming more shapely, like lips. Less plastic looking and tight, but still full. I have uploaded a picture so you can see for yourself :)

*** BOYFRIEND'S OPINION & KISSING ***
My boyfriend returned home from holiday yesterday so I finally got to test out my lips with a new activity: kissing.
I can't purse my lips as tightly as I used to, you know when you pout your lips for kissing and they come together tightly in the middle? Well if I try to do that I can fit the tip of my little finger in there! I'm sure the implants will become more flexible with time.

So because of that our first kiss felt a little different. Also, I think because I've been so careful/gentle with my lips, they twinged with pain a little bit when he applied more pressure. I guess because I haven't been rough with them yet? My lips felt fine after the initial pang of pain, and we kissed a lot. I can confirm kissing at day 16 is all good.

I was a little worried if he thought I was kissing badly (lip sensitivity was at about 70% of normal I'd say, maybe because the nerve endings need to come back or something) because what I could feel felt nice, but I didn't know what it felt like for him.

I asked him if it felt weird. He said no it felt really nice, and he couldn't feel the implants. (yay!) He asked if he could feel them, so I got his finger and thumb and he felt my bottom lip and jokingly went, "eww!"
The boyfriend was initially against me getting the surgery (which I'm glad about, because any man who agrees and says "yeah you could do with some surgery!" isn't a keeper) but because he was so happy to see me after 2 weeks I don't think he cared!
I spent two days with him, and he said on the first day the change was noticeable, but by day two he'd gotten used to it already. So my lips must look natural then!

I think he thought I'd come back looking like a gross barbie doll with giant fish lips* (because, let's be honest that's what first comes to mind when you hear 'plastic surgery' or the word 'implants'!)
*Day 2 anyone?

I smiled a whole lot and I felt very pretty and confident and we had an amazing time together :)

*** FAMILY'S OPINION ***
As expected, my parents hate the whole thing and my dad won't stop going on about it. They think me having surgery is some big tragedy. They keep saying things like "We should have told you you were beautiful more..." but I told them all parents think their children are beautiful so it wouldn't have made any difference, lol.
Even if Jonny Depp himself flew over to my house in his private jet to call me beautiful, it would have felt good but it wouldn't have stopped me wishing my top lip was bigger every time I looked in the mirror... you know? It's a personal choice and people should respect that and keep their negative opinions to themselves.

It's like my dad wants me to feel bad and regret it, but I love my new look so it's causing a few arguments when I stick up for myself. I just feel like screaming in his face, especially when I came back from my boyfriend's and I was so high on life. Instead of asking if I had a good time my dad muttered disdainfully, "what did HE think?" wtf? What is your problem? My money, my choice, my life, not yours.

It annoyed me that my dad said some woman at his work who is 50 and has fillers/botox thought it was "horrendous" that I had surgery "so young". This really got on my nerves. Who's to say an older person has more right to looking good and feeling good about their appearance by surgery? Just because I am 22 doesn't mean I don't have the mental capacity to make my own well thought out decisions.

I have not liked this part of myself for 6 years, and tried to change it for 1 year, and thought about implants deeply for 3 months, but hey, I guess because you're 50 and wrinklier than me you deserve surgery more? Pfft, rubbish!

So that's a side note! Always be aware that people you tell WILL talk about you and judge you for it, so you might have to suck it up for a bit until everyone gets used to it.
People might react in ways you didn't expect, and they might not always be good. I didn't realise my dad would be so condescending/rude about me making this decision, while I didn't think my sister would be so kind and supportive, and I didn't think my boyfriend would react so wonderfully.

6 months on - not entirely happy! Please read on.

After all the swelling subsided, I have to admit I was left feeling a little... deflated? (lol)

The list of reasons I hated my top lip before was endless. It was too thin, too pointy, it was downwards-facing (inverted), it was too far away from my nose for my liking, and when I smiled with teeth, my top lip seemed to disappear into my mouth.

I thought permalip would solve all those problems. But why would putting a tube of silicon in my lip suddenly move my lip upwards, magically give it and upward/outward curl? It was just going to thicken up what I've already got - I don't know why I hoped it would change the shape too. Perhaps I was a little naive.

If you are considering getting permalip implants - remember this. It is a silicon tube that is going into your lip. It's not going to magically change the shape of your lips! When I smile now, my upper lip still hides. Not as much as before, there is a little more lip show, but not enough. It does this because my lip points downwards and there isn't much 'red' of my lip showing naturally.

The gap between my nose and my mouth has been slightly rectified due to the thicker lip, but I do look a bit ducky from the side. I feel the implant has almost brought more attention to the pointyness of my lip, but has reduced the thinness. I think I prefer looking slightly duck-like to how I did before, but really I would love that gentle sloping curve from nose to mouth. I'd like my lip higher up, and rounder.

I have now booked myself in for an upper lip lift in Belgium to solve the inverted lip problem, so I'll write a review once I've gone through with it. Thanks for reading!

PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THAT PERMALIP WILL NOT ALTER THE SHAPE OF YOUR LIPS, ONLY THE THICKNESS.

Another thing...

The picture of me in the last post, I have to admit I had a bit of filler in my top lip about 2 months ago which is why it looks fuller than my first picture. I can't believe I resorted to filler after having a procedure done that was supposed to end all that :(

Hopefully my upper lip lift will be the end to this pointy, inverted, too-far-away-from-my-nose duck lip.

Wish me luck!
Glasgow Plastic Surgeon

Genuine, understanding and helpful. You can tell he knows what he's doing as he has lots of experience. Very happy with him, excellent service.

Did you have any problems with the stitches? I'm at the end of the 2nd day after I got top lip only and one side where my stitches are is a little sore. My sister made me laugh earlier today and I'm wondering if that had something to do with it. I looked and didn't see any loose string. I will keep an eye on it. It's like it feels funky but looks normal. What was your deal with stitches??
Oh the stitches ached like hell, it feels really weird doesn't it? I'm amazed you could even smile, I was so swollen up until day 3-4 I had to learn to laugh without smiling. Did you feel anything rip? Did you bleed? If not you probably just hurt your lip a little, be careful now! I'm sure you'll be fine, just make sure not to smile too wide and stay away from your sister!
How often did you clean your incisions? The nurse I spoke with was telling me I would have to set my alarm throughout the night every 2 hrs to swab the corners with the vinegar solution so it wouldn't crust over. I didn't read anything about that on anyone's review and I'm thinking if I do finally fall asleep I won't want to be waking myself up that much. How often did you clean yours?
Hi Steph! I'm in the process of finding the right doctor to perform the Permalip procedure on both my upper and lower lips. The first doctor I had a consultation with said he typically only does the 4mm and would want to use that size for mine - and of course if I didn't think they were big enough I could always come back for the biggest size (which I was thinking right, at my expense and would I really want to have my lips redone right after they finished healing? No!). Thankfully they didn't charge me a consultation fee because I already had done quite a bit of research beforehand and didn't take up much of his time. The second doctor I saw was terrible. She was foreign (I live in Seattle) and just seemed sort of cold. She told me because my upper lip disappears when I smile that she would only do the smallest size, the 3mm, on my upper lip because otherwise it would show. To me that doesn't make sense.. if the silicone is so natural how would it show and isn't that the whole reason for this procedure? So my lip won't disappear when I smile? Right after that I was completely turned off by her and quite upset I had to spend $50 to essentially hear what I didn't want. She also told me I should get botox so my gums wouldn't show when I smile. I'm 28 but I've always looked younger and I'm definitely not starting the cycle of botox. From what you've said it sounds like your upper lip pretty much disappeared when you smiled as well, right? And your doctor recommended the 5mm? There is only one other doctor left that is experienced and listed on the Surgisil website but she is a ferry ride away from me and only does the upper and lower lip surgeries separately. Although I think it might be worth it to see her just to see what size she recommends me getting. Personally I want the 5mm because it's an expensive procedure (all the doctors quoted me $3000 but once I went into the office it became $3500 except for this last doctor I haven't seen who quoted me at $2600) but I would settle for the 4mm if this last doctor recommends the same. I'm just so appreciative of you documenting your process so well - I've brought your comparison photo from your lip lift review to my consultations and show the doctors as an example - so thank you!
Hi there! It's so nice to find someone else shares the same problem as me! You say your lip curls under when you smile like mine - and if you see my other review you'll see that I got a lip lift too. I would have recommended a lip lift before permalip implants to roll out the lip (the lip lift made a much bigger difference for me) however if you have a lot of gum show this makes me think it would be worsened by a lip lift! So permalip seems the right way to go. I would definitely recommend 5mm, it seems weird that you were recommended 4mm and a possible change to 5 later on? I was recommended 5mm - my surgeon said he only recommended this size as 3 and 4mm once healed don't make much of a difference. It seems to me like the surgeon wants you to come back and pay another load of money for 5mm implants once you don't see enough difference with 4mm. But I don't know. Thank you so much for the compliments! I'm just glad i could help - I understand your frustration entirely. Please ask as many questions as you want and I'll try my best to help!
Also just saying, my lip was the thinnest thing ever and the implants looked completely natural after. And they were the biggest size ones! And I have a lip when i smile now :)
It doesn't so much as curl under as just disappears. My upper lip is close to my nose (about 14mm) so my lips are basically always apart at rest. And I do like the shape I just wish they were thicker. And what your doctor said makes complete sense! I don't know why I'm having such difficulties with these doctors. I just emailed the first one I had seen asking about the possibility of the biggest size. I think I would rather have the problem of them being slightly bigger than I imagined than being disappointed that they aren't big enough. Your lips look great! I'm so excited for mine to be bigger. I just did an Ask a Doctor post with photos (awaiting for it to be published) so I can get some recommendations :)
My lips weren't super thin to begin with and my doctor used the largest size. At first I was worried, but after the swelling went down, my lips looked only slightly larger than before I had the implants put in - not a drastic change at all. It's been over 6 months and I'm pleased with the end result and my lips look very natural.
Steph, Tamuir shoab in glasgow has quoted me £1100 for liplift! Would u advise me do this first before implants? Xxx
100% yes!! You might find your rolled out lip looks full enough that you don't need implants! How much has he recommended removing? Im no plastic surgeon but I would suggest 5mm for a visible result! Xxx
I'm really happy for you! I think 5mm only made a subtle change to me too - but often I forget I've had filler and a lip lift so sometimes I thank the implants entirely for my new lips. Thanks for sharing :)
ive not had a consultation for it yet, im actually having a consultation for eyelid surgery today at half 6. pooping myself as im getting it done awake!! :) I will get all healed from that first then I will arrange a consultation in Glasgow for lift then a implant only in bottom xx
steph where are the injections put before you get a lift?? should I put emla around my mouth before I go in first?? lol (hate injections) x
14mm! Wow you're so lucky! Yeah I think your doctor should offer 5mm really, because the difference isn't so drastic as you'd think. I've heard 3mm is barely even noticeable! Thank you so much for your compliments and good luck!
Good luck! Wow you are really transforming yourself :) I hope you are happy with the results, make sure to keep updated!! xx
To be honest I was so out of it I can't even remember? I think the injections were under my nose and either side of my nostrils. I remember my eyes watering because it was so painful! But again I'd been drugged up so I was happy enough haha. Worth it :) xx
Think I will stick emla on before the injections just so I dont feel them as much!! Lol dont fancy them much!! So no injections are in the mouth?? Just on the outside?? X Thanks for replying it helps alot xx
I would absolutely go with the 5mm (the largest implant)!! I had a very thin upper lip and I got 5mm on both the top & bottom and I wish they had a 6 or even a 7mm. My top lip still looks thin (my bottom lip has always been twice the size of my top). Sure, I could have gotten the 4mm for the bottom lip to even it out a bit but I wanted the largest possible if I was paying that much money. I was afraid I wouldn't even be able to notice a 4mm. Regardless, I'm happy with my decision on the implant sizes. When I have lipstick on they look perfect, the color really evens them out. In a perfect world, I would have a 7mm on the top and a 5mm for the bottom lip. There is NO way I would have my top & bottom lips done separately!!! I strongly suggest finding a surgeon that will do both lips at once! There's too much recovery time to have them done at different times. I hope this helps! I'm working on posting pics of my before/after of Permalip. I am very happy compared to what my lips looked like before :) My surgery was on Jan. 23, 2014. They still feel very tight, but I'm trying to stay on top of my lip exercises. Oh, if you get the surgery...I could not drink out of a cup (felt too weird putting pressure on my bottom lip) and COULD NOT drink from a straw for 2 weeks!! I used a baby dropper for drinking and it worked wonderfully :) I avoided dairy for 2 weeks prior and used Arnica Montana gel AND pellets and did not bruise at all :D
Hi Steph91! I want to let you know that your story definitely had a lot of influence for me deciding to get my lips done...I took the plunge & am going on day 3 with my new Permalips and I am already SO happy I did it!!!!! I don't personally know of anybody who has this procedure done so I did a lot of online research. I didn't tell my parents but my sister spilled the beans and apparently that are not upset with me (too badly anyways, oh well it's already a done deal), thank goodness! I was seriously afraid they would completely disown me. My fiance has given me a lot of crap about it, but every once in a while he'll lighten up and tell me he thinks they are going to look great. My bottom lip is still pretty huge and not being able to drink through a straw is about to kill me! I'm currently using a dropper Lol! How long was it until you could drink through a straw?? I loved reading your review and I'm very proud of myself for not listening to others' negative opinions and doing this for myself :) You are a brave & beautiful lady!!!
I am so proud you took the plunge! It might not seem like it now but the results will be worth the drama. Your story is very similar to mine - everybody disagreed with me and thought I was ridiculous but it was worth it in the end! My boyfriend would go "ewwwww" and play around with my lips LOL. I'm sure your bf will think it's worth it when the swelling has gone down and you have beautiful lips :) That's crazy that you're so swollen you have to use a dropper.. I could use a small straw on day two I think? I remember getting very hungry lol, wasn't much fun. Thank you so much, I'm glad I inspired you and I hope the lip implants give you the look you want!!
Hi Steph91, thank you & I apologize it took me a while to respond...I have been back at work :) I had my 1 week follow-up appointment this morning & they are healing very well :D I only wish they were bigger!! Lol. I got the largest size for both top & bottom but I had tiny lips to begin with and I'm really hoping my top lip doesn't go down anymore! I'll try & post pics soon. I'm very happy with them. Thank you for posting so many pics and being so out & open, it's greatly appreciated by me :)
Congratulations to you!!! I'm so pleased you're happy with it, I just hope that is the end for your journey to loving yourself - unlike me who just keeps on faffing. I can't wait to see pictures! Day 6 was when I started to look human again (lol). Good luck and you're so welcome!!!
Hi Steph. I am interested in getting a lip lift or permalip. What is your opinion? Do you think that you should have had the lip lift rather than the permalip implants? Also which clinic are you booked in for in Belgium? I had my rhinoplasty a couple of months ago in Poland and had a great experience with the clinic there. If I decide to go ahead with the permalip procedure then I intend to book abroad again. However it is very difficult to find any clinics which perform this procedure. I would really appreciate your input. Thanks :)
Hi! Upon reflection, I probably should have gone with the lip lift first. Lip implants give you the effect of having plumper lips and stopping you from having to get any filler. It would have been better if I'd got the shape right first, before thinking of the plumpness of my lips. I'm going to a place called facialfeminization.eu which specialise in feminising the face. Their lip lifts are great! Hope this helped.