First EMatrix RF/sublative Rejuvenation Treatment, Pleased Thus Far - Warner Robbins, GA

Background: I have some minor acne scarring on my...

Background: I have some minor acne scarring on my cheeks that I'm tired of looking at. A couple ice-pick scars and some scarred/enlarged pores. I've had a couple of series of micro dermabrasions in the past and I aIso had a micro laser peel (by Sciton lasers) set at 10 microns, done in March 2010. Neither had any effect on my scars. I also had 2 Matrix IR (non ablative laser) done on my right cheek scarring in May 2010.

I had my 1st eMatrix RF treatment done almost a week ago. (June 2010) My skin was cleaned using a Clarisonic brush and then I had topical numbing cream applied. The cream was reapplied after 15 minutes for a total time of 30 minutes,prior to the procedure. All the cream was then removed with a 90% isopropyl alcohol solution to make sure the skin was completely oil free and clean.

The treatment was only done on my cheeks. The settings used were Treatment B at 48 MJ (There are 3 levels w/ 3 different microjoule settings per level) I had expected the deepest level (Treatment C) but my esthetician had told me that the company is now recommending acne scar revision to be done at treatment level B, as this seems to cause more coagulation in the tissues. I had apres peel soothing balm and sunscreen applied, post peel. I was told not to wear any makeup for a minimum 24 hours, and then to only use mineral powder makeup. Liquid makeup is not recommended until all the ablation scabs flake off.

I had mild redness post treatment, but there was no pain to speak of. My face was numb for approximately another 2- 2 1/2 hours. Painless as compared to the micro laser peel. My skin was comfortable and I didn't have much swelling on the first day. My skin did begin to ooze in a few spots that evening, and since I couldn't wash my face until the next day, I just had to wait to shower it off in the morning.

Day 2 I was more swollen, but the redness was the same. My skin was comfortable.

Day 3 the redness and swelling were beginning to decrease and the scabs were more noticeable. I did apply a light dusting of mineral powder as we went to the movies. No problems at all and the powder completely covered any redness. Grid marks/scabs were noticeable if you were up close.

Day 4 most of the swelling and redness were gone and the flakes were barely coming off. Skin was still comfortable.

Day 5 approx. 30-40% of the scabs had flaked off and my skin was a bit itchy due to the dryer skin. I was told NOT to pick or scratch the scabs as it's best for them to flake off on their own.

Day 6 approx. 75-80% of the scabs are gone and my skin doesn't itch at all.

Day 7 all swelling is gone and all except for maybe 10 scabs have fallen off. These scabs are the size of a pin point are not noticeable to anyone but me.

It's too early to determine the overall effect of my skin, but I'll return to post any updates/changes. I'll have a follow up treatment in July, August and September.

Hello Tania, I will send an email with the Doctor's name. He did my TotalFX and I trust him. His PA does the eMatrix and she's very good. I combine these treatments with IPLs. I haven't had Fraxel, but based on what I've heard, it hasn't appealed to me. With any of these treatments, I think you have to have the right expectations - do your expectations align with what will really be achieved?!?! My bar is pretty high, so I remain skeptical about all of this elective stuff and the risk and reward involved! eMatrix does take time and you won't see much at all after one treatment. That said, it's obviously safer to start at a lower setting (ie. B) first. I did see more with C level - but it was also the 2nd one. You'll be a bit swollen and red, but as you said, it's less invasive and worth a try:)
I just went to Dr David Goldberg in Hackensack NJ. It was $200 for a consultation which I was told would be applied to the procedure, I was quoted 1,500 per session....Yikes!!! I couldn't believe it. I'm told I need about 5 sessions. I have mild/medium acne scarring on my lower face. After the consult I was told I had to apply to consult fee within a month or I loose it. I think that's pretty lousy not give you any idea on the cost of the treatments upfront until you pay/go for the consultation and then they give you 1 month. How nice of them. Then they were trying to get me to do it the day of my consult before I even researched further. Sonya2 would you be open to sharing who quoted you 1,000 per treatment in NJ? On top of this, Dr Goldberg said avg improvement is about 50-60%. Really not sure if it's worth spending $7500 for 50% improvement. I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone who has done this treatment. He told me Ematrix is best for Acne scars and tightening of the skin which will be beneficial in my case vs Fraxil.
thats crazy! in westchester ny if our willing to make the trek my cousins friend said they offer the ematrix treatment at $500 a session. Treatment parameters are once every 4-6 weeks. I found them on facebook. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Synergy-Laser-Esthetic-Solutions/154584401218532?ref=ts

Wanted to post a current update. I finished my...

Wanted to post a current update. I finished my initial course of 6 treatments in early October, followed by a "touch up" treatment in late Dec. 2010. I was told, according to the aesthetician, that I had upwards of 80% improvement on some of my scars. I was able to look at my past photographs, and though I don't agree that it's an 80% improvement, I can't deny that there has been correction and progress made in my scars. Oddly enough, my worst scar (a pretty decent ice pick acne scar) has been the one that has corrected the most. It's now as small, or smaller than some of my other minor ice pick scars. It's important to note, however, that as it became more shallow, it did widen at the surface. Honestly though, I don't know if that makes much of a difference in it's severity, but it does appear smaller overall. It's funny though, as your bad scars improve, you tend to notice scars you never really "saw" before, or at least that's the case with me.

I was treated on the most aggressive levels of Treatment B at the highest settings for treatments 2-7. I healed quicker and with less edema and erythema each time. I also didn't get nearly as many grid dots my most recent times. My last 3 visits also included an IPL session prior to the eMatrix. I will say, I was able to tough out the eMatrix without numbing cream my last 3 times. We still only treated my cheeks, and would use up the extra pulses on the sides of my chin and between my eyebrows. I understand that I must have a high pain threshold in order to tolerate the treatments w/out numbing cream, so I don't necessarily recommend others try that if they are at all nervous about pain. I personally don't find it all that bad, and since it doesn't take more than 10 minutes, it really shortens up my visits considerably.

Do I have beautiful skin? In a word, no. Have a noticed a change for the better, yes. Would I recommend others to try this? Sure! It's probably one of the few treatments out there that doesn't have lingering pain, side effects and downtime. If you're wanting something that is slower and easier going, but still capable of some positive results, eMatrix is worth a try.

Hi, I had my second treatment but not really seen any improvement at all. I have douts about the aesthetician who is performing this. she was supposed to do this all around my face and around my eyes and neck but I am there for 10 minutes and she does about 40 dots which does not even leave marks, I have no swelling not even redness, no grid marks nothing looks different. I see one or two tiny dots the next couple of days. What is she doing? She does not even tell me what level she performed. how far apart are the dots and how long does your treatments take?
Hey Sunny11,
1) I've never had the minimal A level done, but maybe that's why you haven't seen results??
2) You will not necessarily see major results after two treatments. Again, the main purpose is for a gradual rebuilding of collagen,not ablation. However,I am surprised you're not experiencing anything like what Sassy74 and I have described. I at least get a little initial smoothing after the "crusties" come off.
3) I would go to someone else at this point. Does the aesthetician work for a Doctor's office or a spa? Even if it costs a little more
to go elsewhere, it will be worth it if you get results.
4) Insist on getting your procedure information or go to that person's supervisor.You have a right to know what's being done to your face so don't be afraid to ask. You're paying for it after all.
5) The procedure is about 20 minutes or so for full face. It's not too long. I numb about hour beforehand. My PA even tells me how many "pulses?" she has left. I can look in the mirror and tell her what else I'd like her to target.
Good Luck! Dawn
I also experience the visible matrix dots after I had a microlaser peel at 10 microns in March 2010. I haven't ever had any lasting "dots" from eMatrix. Once the little scabs shed (usually between day 5 & 6) I may have some slight, very faint dots that are visible for another couple of days, but those dissipate quickly.
My eMatrix treatments get easier the more I have (ie. less swelling, less overall redness, quicker healing, ect.)

Oops, I should have said that I was treated on a...

Oops, I should have said that I was treated on a high "C" level, not a "B". I don't want to cause any confusion w/ my original post. :)

If you can travel to San Jose, it's 300$ a visit and I've had wonderful results with many procedures. Vienna Skin Clinic, Dr Minh Le. Check out the website, you won't regret going to him.
300 for e matrix per treatment. He does foto facial, fillers, etc. He's very good and very reasonable. People say I look 40 all the time, I'm 53. He's 40ish with many yrs experience. Wonderful Dr and I've had only good results every time. Check it out on yelp too.
It's great that you can recommend qualified peoe to do these procedures. In Australia anyone can purchase these machine and start using them. This is why mine went wrong. It was not suited to my skin needs, inappropriate/unsafe settings were used and no after duty of care or knowledge on what to do if there is an adverse reaction
Georgia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jessica, the esthetician, was VERY helpful and informative. We had a 30 min. consultation a month prior to my decision to go ahead with treatment. We went over expectations together, she called me the day after to check in on my and contacted me several days later to assess my progress.