Revision Rhinoplasty to Fix the Tip. - Geneva, Switzerland

I've always been very insecure about my nose; big,...

I've always been very insecure about my nose; big, overprojected with a big bump. At 18 years old I finally got my first rhinoplasty, and looking back now, 1 year later, I can say I rushed things instead of making sure to chose the right surgeon and REALLY discuss my goals. However, at that time I really thought the surgeon did understand what I was looking for and I was extremely confident. The intervention itself went well, I was in some pain the first day but the recovery went smoothly, very uncomfortable but nothing unbearable. I can't deny, there is a big improvement but there have been some mistakes which are really bothering me right now.

The bump is gone, my nose is overall smaller but the now bulbous tip still has a "droopy" feel to it (due to the hanging columella + supra tip), a small bump is noticeable from one side (cartilage) and there's an obvious pollybeak deformity as well as alar retraction. Needless to say I'm quiet disappointed since I clearly told my surgeon that I was looking for a cute nose, a little bit pointy ( I think it gives a very "refined" look which I always loved) and I have the exact opposite now.

Sadly, my surgeon didn't admit that and basically said she did a great job and that I should be happy with it. I decided to look for another surgeon, and after having a few appointments, I chose Dr. Beldi who seemed very professional and trustworthy right away (6 months ago). He also performed revision rhinoplasty several times and I made sure to be EXTREMELY clear with my expectations (lots of pictures highlighting what I don't like about my nose, what the perfect nose would be for me, etc).

My surgery is in less than one month right now, and I'm obviously feeling nervous about the outcome ! There's a lot of money that I'm spending after working hard to get it, and I'm thinking about it every single day. Sometimes I do wonder if I shouldn't wait, but I'm getting more and more obsessed with my nose and I honestly don't think I'll be able to live with it another year or so.

I don't know if it makes sense, but it's almost like this nose bothers me more than before because I actually PAID for it, believing I'll finally get over with it. Lesson learned: never rush things to get it done, take your time and be patient.

Fingers crossed, hoping I'll be satisfied this time :).

Hi guys, as you know it my surgery was scheduled...

Hi guys, as you know it my surgery was scheduled for December but I did some thinking and I realize I'm not quite ready yet. I've been extremely anxious lately, thinking about my nose and what could go wrong ALL the time. Plus I've been sick and really exhausted these weeks; not the best time to put my body through this surgery. My surgeon was extremely understanding and we rescheduled the procedure (March 2013).

Now what ? Well I did some thinking and decided to book a 1 month vacation (mid January to mid February). Until then I'm going to make sure my body and mind are at peace: eating healthy, working out and just take my time doing the things I like to do. Last rhinoplasty was rather uncomfortable because my body didn't recover that well from the anesthesia, I was in a rush, anxious, tired.

It was hard to make this decision. Obviously, living another 4 months or so with this nose isn't what I wanted, but I need to stop obsessing so much about it and find some self confidence back no matter what. So right now, it's "me-time" :). I'll update you guys before the surgery !
Dr. Moez Beldi

Hey how long after your first primary did you have revision? Im thinking to go at 5 m but same like you so many things running through my mind
Forgive me for going off topic, but your eyes are stunning! Can't wait to see how they look after your revision rhinoplasty, it will make them stand out even more. Good luck!
I also made the same mistake as you did, last year when I was 18 I also felt that I rushed things and I was really dissapointed when I saw my nose, it didn´t look bad but wasn´t what I wanted I regretted thinking that I didn´t explain myself well, so this year I had a second rhinoplasty and it looks so much better but eventhought I´m just 3 weeks post op I´m thinking on doing one more time since It´s still too bulbous, I´m hopping it´s swelling but I´m pretty sure I´ll be doing it again, only that this time I´m going to wait for a couple of years, maybe when I´m 22 to do it one last time, anyways I really hope this time you get the results you want! I hope the best for you :)
and my message was meant for you, i thought i'd sent it to the incorrect person but i didnt. :)
Hi Sandra I read your story and it sounds very similar to mine. I don't want to discourage you from having the revision as i too am perhaps considering one some day down the track. I looked at your pics though and whilst i can see the issues with your nose when you point them out, when i saw your final pic of you smiling, i just thought that's a pretty girl. I didn't notice the way the tip sat when you smiled etc... I think this is something we all need to get in to perspective on this website. We are all so obsessed with our noses after surgery that we don't see the overall picture. Before i go for another revision i'm trying to see myself as an overall picture rather than just the nose. We think in terms of our noes as polly beak, alar ratracted blah blah blah. When i first met my husband i remember sitting at a cafe and thinking i wonder if he notices that i've had a nose job and that my nostrils show too much, etc.. We talk about it now and he said he never thought twice about my nose. He just thought i was a pretty girl with nice eyes, smile etc... I keep thinking now that a nose only makes you less attractive if its distracting on your face. When i look at your face my eyes aren't drawn to your nose, therefore its not distracting. Just something to think about. :)
Hi sandra, i'm so glad to hear from someone doing rhinoplasty in switzerland- i hope you are well and that you are not too worried for your surgery. I'm thinking about having surgery done in switzerland as well, but it just seems to me that the doctors are not as experienced as the ones in the United States. Could you maybe give me some advice on how you found yours? I'm thinking about going to Dr.Dr. Muggenthaler in Basel, but I haven't scheduled anything so far. I wish you all the best!!
Hi, your experience sounds a lot like mine. My first rhinoplasty was ok, but it was free on NHS as I was so low and depressed about it. The surgeon only took the top of the bump off and rounded the tip a tiny, tiny bit - barely anything. He left the hanging collumellar. Nevertheless, my nose was better and gave me a confidence boost. Gradually the swelling went away and the bump remained at both sides and I still hated the hanging collumellar. I went to organise a revision 4 years ago, but had bad experiences meeting a couple of surgeons and got told I needed to get some perspective on my life etc. I waited a little more than another 4 years and have still been unhappy with my nose and finally decided to get it sorted. I had my revision 2 weeks ago. Although I'm still waiting for the swelling to go down, I really love the changes made to my front view and side where my collumellar was. It sounds like you're doing the best thing for you in taking a break and relaxing your mind. I am sure you will love your new nose; the changes to the collumellar make such a difference :-)
Hi Sandra. Reading your story is like visiting my situation. The only difference is that I am 31 years old. I had the same "born with" nose as you. Everybody used to discourage me from the operation and I never picked up the courage until I was 31. I lived like a mad girl always hiding my profile, hiding from people, not being myself and I hardly have any photos of myself because it could not bear to see the photo afterwards. It is 6 months after the operation. I was full of hope before the operation that I can start enjoying my life in a new normal way. The surgeon corrected my nose only very subtly. After the operation it is still overprojected, big and my tip has a droopy end, unpleasantly visible nostrils and basically I look like a parrot from the profile. I try to be positive but I feel more depressed than before the operation. I would love to go for a revision but I am so scarred that it will get even worse. I will be thinking of you in March 2013 and wish you that this is the final operation that makes you happy. It sounds like we are vain but nobody can ever understand what it feels like having a nose that is aesthetically wrong. And I admire people who try to change it. All the best :)
We are in the same exact situation! My tip still looks the same, probably even worse after my surgery, which was one year ago. I cant even smile without being so depressed. I hope your second surgury goes well!!! best of luck!
I'm sorry you have to face the same problem ! I know how frustrating it is to pay for something and find yourself with another thing to dislike about it. Thank you for your comment, and I really hope you get the chance to have revision too !
thanks! did u get ur revision yet btw?
Nope, decided to postpone it until March 2013. Everything's explained in my review's update :).

My fingers are crossed FOR you. I truly hope you get the result you want this time. Please keep us posted.

Thank you so much ! I really think that my surgeon understands my expectations this time, I will update my review before surgery.