Revision Rhinoplasty to Fix the Tip. - Geneva, Switzerland

I've always been very insecure about my nose; big,...

I've always been very insecure about my nose; big, overprojected with a big bump. At 18 years old I finally got my first rhinoplasty, and looking back now, 1 year later, I can say I rushed things instead of making sure to chose the right surgeon and REALLY discuss my goals. However, at that time I really thought the surgeon did understand what I was looking for and I was extremely confident. The intervention itself went well, I was in some pain the first day but the recovery went smoothly, very uncomfortable but nothing unbearable. I can't deny, there is a big improvement but there have been some mistakes which are really bothering me right now.

The bump is gone, my nose is overall smaller but the now bulbous tip still has a "droopy" feel to it (due to the hanging columella + supra tip), a small bump is noticeable from one side (cartilage) and there's an obvious pollybeak deformity as well as alar retraction. Needless to say I'm quiet disappointed since I clearly told my surgeon that I was looking for a cute nose, a little bit pointy ( I think it gives a very "refined" look which I always loved) and I have the exact opposite now.

Sadly, my surgeon didn't admit that and basically said she did a great job and that I should be happy with it. I decided to look for another surgeon, and after having a few appointments, I chose Dr. Beldi who seemed very professional and trustworthy right away (6 months ago). He also performed revision rhinoplasty several times and I made sure to be EXTREMELY clear with my expectations (lots of pictures highlighting what I don't like about my nose, what the perfect nose would be for me, etc).

My surgery is in less than one month right now, and I'm obviously feeling nervous about the outcome ! There's a lot of money that I'm spending after working hard to get it, and I'm thinking about it every single day. Sometimes I do wonder if I shouldn't wait, but I'm getting more and more obsessed with my nose and I honestly don't think I'll be able to live with it another year or so.

I don't know if it makes sense, but it's almost like this nose bothers me more than before because I actually PAID for it, believing I'll finally get over with it. Lesson learned: never rush things to get it done, take your time and be patient.

Fingers crossed, hoping I'll be satisfied this time :).

Hi guys, as you know it my surgery was scheduled...

Hi guys, as you know it my surgery was scheduled for December but I did some thinking and I realize I'm not quite ready yet. I've been extremely anxious lately, thinking about my nose and what could go wrong ALL the time. Plus I've been sick and really exhausted these weeks; not the best time to put my body through this surgery. My surgeon was extremely understanding and we rescheduled the procedure (March 2013).

Now what ? Well I did some thinking and decided to book a 1 month vacation (mid January to mid February). Until then I'm going to make sure my body and mind are at peace: eating healthy, working out and just take my time doing the things I like to do. Last rhinoplasty was rather uncomfortable because my body didn't recover that well from the anesthesia, I was in a rush, anxious, tired.

It was hard to make this decision. Obviously, living another 4 months or so with this nose isn't what I wanted, but I need to stop obsessing so much about it and find some self confidence back no matter what. So right now, it's "me-time" :). I'll update you guys before the surgery !

Late update !

Hi guys,

As you can tell I've gone MIA the past year and didn't update my review. In short; after coming back from my vacation in late February 2013, I've had some pretty big health issues (brain tumor) that required loads of tests, appointments and finally a surgery in September 2013 (2 months spent in hospital).

Needless to say my nose was NOT my priority these past few months, even though the insecurity was still there. I guess life threatening experiences will do that do you, and I'll have to admit that after my brain surgery (hardest time of my life, lots of complications too) the idea of putting myself through an intervention willingly seemed NUTS !

It took time to get better, and accept the fact that I'll have to be under the neurosurgeons radar for the rest of my life (the tumor is so deep rooted in my head that it's impossible to take everything out without major neurological deficits). What about me ? Well I'm feeling better now, still experiencing some tumor related symptoms and the aftermaths of a pulmonary embolism that occurred a few days after my surgery.

Wow. So what now ? :)

I've contacted my plastic surgeon & have an appointment next month. We'll have to talk a lot about my medical history, make sure to plan a safe intervention & really assess the risks.

Some friends and family around me are surprised (some angry I have to admit) that I decided to go through another surgery willingly, I mean isn't this kind of experience supposed to make you realize your life is precious, and amazing and you have to make the best of it with what you have ?

Well, yes, of course. But I also realized that I don't want to live the rest of it obsessing over something I could "fix". I'm strong, I went through a lot, but now I'm sure that's what I want. It's not a reckless decision, and nor do I believe it will fix all of my self-esteem issues but I genuinely think it would be a big step towards self-acceptance.

I want to believe in loving yourself for what you are, and I've really tried to, I'm still trying every single day. I respect IMMENSELY those who accept themselves for what they are, "au naturel", but 2 years and a half after my first rhinoplasty I can say I'm not there yet.

It is my choice, and I believe I can get "there".

We're getting there !

So, I had an appointment with my surgeon not too long ago. To keep it short, he's just as amazing as I remembered, whether it was at listening or explaining.

As I was expecting, we're gonna have to be a lot more careful considering my recent health problems, especially post-op to make sure I don't develop another thrombosis that could lead to a pulmonary embolism again (not fun). I was however really impressed at how much time Dr. Beldi spent with me (about 1 hour actually) discussing what happened, the surgery, my expectations or just plain small talk. I understand now how that communication was missing with my last surgeon !

Dr. Beldi does not treat me like an ignorant patient; he's opening his own med books, trying his best to explain every little step of the procedure, never annoyed when I repeat myself talking about my expectations, again and again.

I'm happy to announce my revision rhinoplasty is scheduled: 21st of July.

I'm also seeing the anesthetist 2 weeks before that.

So now we wait, but I'm extremely happy we're finally getting there. Especially considering I've been working my ass off these past few weeks to pay for the surgery; 5 more weeks to go !

My next update will probably be after the surgery. See you guys, & all the best to each and every one of you !

2 days after surgery.

So, on Monday I had my surgery; it took longer than expected (4 hours) so recovery is pretty hard. I have to admit after waking up in quite some pain and a shitty general state I was really questioning the decision to put myself through this again. I'm a little bit better now, so there's that !

Apparently, the previous surgeon did an even worse job than we thought; lots of cartilage was missing so my surgeon had to take some from my ear, and also use fascia graft on the bridge. I'm obviously still extremely swollen, & still have a cast on.

I'm still very drowsy, but I'm trying my best to stay as active as possible; don't wanna risk another thrombosis. I'll make sure to update you guys with pictures as soon as the cast comes off.
Dr. Moez Beldi

u are so brave, my thoughts and prayers are with you. I wish you a speedy recovery and look forward to seeing updates. Take care x
Your story struck a chord with me. This is your life, and you have every right to change something that you don't like. You are so inspiring! I'm sure another surgery and the associated pain and anxiety are not desired, but the memory of it will fade as you put time behind you. I'm in a similar predicament, myself. I hope that this procedure is as gentle as possible and that you have a beautiful nose waiting for you at the end of this journey.
Thank you so much for your comment; it tends to be a very lonely path, when friends and family don't really understand why we're spending so much energy and money to change ourselves. Also, thank you for also putting your story out there, I really think we can help each other as a community ! You're beautiful, and wishing you all the best, :*.
Wow. You are such a strong and beautiful person!! I wish you the best in everything that you do!!
Thank you very much ! Wish you to find an excellent surgeon for you revision too, and please keep us updated. Don't give up, maybe you could try to find a reconstructive surgeon who's also doing plastic surgery (my surgeon's case); they're the best at repairing "damages" whether it was done by accidents or failed surgeries. :*
This is literally me. I had a rhinoplasty on the 15th of February and by then I was already 17. I told my parents that I, after breaking my nose several times as a kid, had breathing problems, so I told them about surgery, mostly a septoplasty (but also rhinoplasty, since I had BIG bump), and they agreed to it. Like you, I rushed things, and I was pressured with other problems (had the worst 2014 summer vacations of my life). I have the same problem.. slight bulbous "droopy" tip, alar retraction and a slight pollybreak deformity. Well it's been about 2.8 months since my surgery, so I don't know the official look of the nose. I'll post a pic soon and tell my story. Best of luck for your next rhinoplasty :)
Hi, I'm sorry you don't have the expected results but I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that while the swelling is decreasing (and trust me, IT WILL: 3 months is still very early to see the definitive result) you'll find your nose looks better. Keep in mind that the tip does take the longest to get there ! I've noticed quite some changes between the 10th and 12th-13th months. Be patient, and wishing you all the best, ;).
Hey how long after your first primary did you have revision? Im thinking to go at 5 m but same like you so many things running through my mind
Hi, so as you can tell from my last update I didn't have my surgery yet. But I can only encourage you to be as patient as possible. Even though they were subtle, I noticed some changes even between the 10th month and past 1 year after the surgery. If you're rushing quickly after an intervention, you won't have the REAL and completely healed base. Good luck and keep us posted, :).
Forgive me for going off topic, but your eyes are stunning! Can't wait to see how they look after your revision rhinoplasty, it will make them stand out even more. Good luck!
Thank you so much Matilda, :).
I also made the same mistake as you did, last year when I was 18 I also felt that I rushed things and I was really dissapointed when I saw my nose, it didn´t look bad but wasn´t what I wanted I regretted thinking that I didn´t explain myself well, so this year I had a second rhinoplasty and it looks so much better but eventhought I´m just 3 weeks post op I´m thinking on doing one more time since It´s still too bulbous, I´m hopping it´s swelling but I´m pretty sure I´ll be doing it again, only that this time I´m going to wait for a couple of years, maybe when I´m 22 to do it one last time, anyways I really hope this time you get the results you want! I hope the best for you :)
Hi, I hope you're satisfied with your second rhinoplasty (I know it can take AGES to heal properly, and it's frustrating) and that you're not considering another surgery. If you do however, yes, I can only advise you to really take your time; time for yourself, for you nose to heal and be very thorough while looking for a surgeon. Don't hesitate to see him 3, 4, 5 times and express yourself as much as possible. Communication is key ! Wish you all the best & I would love to hear from you. :)
and my message was meant for you, i thought i'd sent it to the incorrect person but i didnt. :)
Hi Sandra I read your story and it sounds very similar to mine. I don't want to discourage you from having the revision as i too am perhaps considering one some day down the track. I looked at your pics though and whilst i can see the issues with your nose when you point them out, when i saw your final pic of you smiling, i just thought that's a pretty girl. I didn't notice the way the tip sat when you smiled etc... I think this is something we all need to get in to perspective on this website. We are all so obsessed with our noses after surgery that we don't see the overall picture. Before i go for another revision i'm trying to see myself as an overall picture rather than just the nose. We think in terms of our noes as polly beak, alar ratracted blah blah blah. When i first met my husband i remember sitting at a cafe and thinking i wonder if he notices that i've had a nose job and that my nostrils show too much, etc.. We talk about it now and he said he never thought twice about my nose. He just thought i was a pretty girl with nice eyes, smile etc... I keep thinking now that a nose only makes you less attractive if its distracting on your face. When i look at your face my eyes aren't drawn to your nose, therefore its not distracting. Just something to think about. :)
Hi, I want to thank you so much for your comment, I have to admit it did move me a bit ! I think you've made some really good and true points, and it's true I've always had a hard time to look at the "overall" picture when I just feel it's tainted by my nose. As you can tell from the update, this insecurity wasn't a priority these past few months, and the unfortunate events did put things in perspective. I think I can say now that, even though I still want that intervention, I'm at peace with the reasons why and my expectations. I wish you all the best, and thank you again for your sweet comment. :*
Hi sandra, i'm so glad to hear from someone doing rhinoplasty in switzerland- i hope you are well and that you are not too worried for your surgery. I'm thinking about having surgery done in switzerland as well, but it just seems to me that the doctors are not as experienced as the ones in the United States. Could you maybe give me some advice on how you found yours? I'm thinking about going to Dr.Dr. Muggenthaler in Basel, but I haven't scheduled anything so far. I wish you all the best!!
Hi, I can see on your profile you had your intervention and I have to say you look beautiful ! I'm glad you were able to find a great surgeon, he did an amazing job and I'm glad you're satisfied, :). It's always reassuring to see successful surgeries, warm wishes !
Hi, your experience sounds a lot like mine. My first rhinoplasty was ok, but it was free on NHS as I was so low and depressed about it. The surgeon only took the top of the bump off and rounded the tip a tiny, tiny bit - barely anything. He left the hanging collumellar. Nevertheless, my nose was better and gave me a confidence boost. Gradually the swelling went away and the bump remained at both sides and I still hated the hanging collumellar. I went to organise a revision 4 years ago, but had bad experiences meeting a couple of surgeons and got told I needed to get some perspective on my life etc. I waited a little more than another 4 years and have still been unhappy with my nose and finally decided to get it sorted. I had my revision 2 weeks ago. Although I'm still waiting for the swelling to go down, I really love the changes made to my front view and side where my collumellar was. It sounds like you're doing the best thing for you in taking a break and relaxing your mind. I am sure you will love your new nose; the changes to the collumellar make such a difference :-)
Again, very sorry for the late response, explanations in my update ! I'm extremely happy you're satisfied with your intervention (took a look at your pictures, you look beautiful and so does your nose :) ), and I have to admit it gives me some hopes I could achieve the same result. I guess when it comes to revision surgeries, there's always that fear of being in an endless circle (what if I'm never satisfied ?) but I want to believe with the right surgeon,the right expectations and procedure, we can achieve our goal. All the best for you, can't wait to see more pictures, :).
Hi Sandra. Reading your story is like visiting my situation. The only difference is that I am 31 years old. I had the same "born with" nose as you. Everybody used to discourage me from the operation and I never picked up the courage until I was 31. I lived like a mad girl always hiding my profile, hiding from people, not being myself and I hardly have any photos of myself because it could not bear to see the photo afterwards. It is 6 months after the operation. I was full of hope before the operation that I can start enjoying my life in a new normal way. The surgeon corrected my nose only very subtly. After the operation it is still overprojected, big and my tip has a droopy end, unpleasantly visible nostrils and basically I look like a parrot from the profile. I try to be positive but I feel more depressed than before the operation. I would love to go for a revision but I am so scarred that it will get even worse. I will be thinking of you in March 2013 and wish you that this is the final operation that makes you happy. It sounds like we are vain but nobody can ever understand what it feels like having a nose that is aesthetically wrong. And I admire people who try to change it. All the best :)
Hey there, I'm sorry for that -extremely- late response. I thank you for taking the time to read my story, and I hope this past year was good one for you, whether it was through surgery or working towards accepting your insecurities. And I don't think any of us is vain, not when we're making well thought, smart decisions about ourselves, FOR ourselves. I wish you all the best, and please don't hesitate to give us an update ! :)
We are in the same exact situation! My tip still looks the same, probably even worse after my surgery, which was one year ago. I cant even smile without being so depressed. I hope your second surgury goes well!!! best of luck!
I'm sorry you have to face the same problem ! I know how frustrating it is to pay for something and find yourself with another thing to dislike about it. Thank you for your comment, and I really hope you get the chance to have revision too !
thanks! did u get ur revision yet btw?