20 Y/o, Overbite, Crooked Front Teeth and Overcrowded Bottom Teeth - Gatineau, QC

I just got my first set of trays in with the...

I just got my first set of trays in with the attachments yesterday. I will have 44 tray for the upper and lower teeth. I have 6 attachments on the bottom that hurt me when I try to eat or chew with my mouth closed so I eat with my mouth open and try to avoid with people around. I have two small attachments on my upper teeth that don't bother me at all. The rough edges of the trays are uncomfortable as well as biting down.

I play trombone so I am grateful that they are removable as I can't play with them and it would only be worse with braces. I got tired of looking at pictures of me and noticing how my two front teeth were not aligned (one is deeper in my mouth than the other). Having refused braces when I was 11 I was clearly not going to pick braces this time around. I keep having the urge to grind my teeth so instead I chew on the chewie they gave me.

I usually drink 6-8 teas per day so not drinking any is a big change for me. I don't want to brush my teeth after every single cup. On the bright side people don't notice my treatment except when I mention it or they notice the small lisp I have.

Almost a week!

Day 6 - I have gotten used to speaking with my Invisalign my lisp is almost gone entirely. I can feel my teeth move when I remove the trays to eat but they are no longer sensitive when the trays are on (except when I chew hard on my chewie). I have a concert on Saturday and keeping them out for 3 hours straight worries me a bit. I also took a nail file to smooth out the rough edges as they were cutting my tongue. I am also managing to not bite the inside of my cheek with the attachment when I eat. I feel my teeth closing together differently than before so in only 6 days I can already tell it's working!

I took some pictures this morning to see if they were visible and they are not! My boyfriend didn't even notice I had them on so they truly are invisible! I'm glad I went for this treatment!

Here are the pictures I took this morning.

3 weeks done 2nd tray in!

On Thursday I put in my second tray. My teeth were sensitive or the first three days but now they are fine! I also filed the rough edges with a nail file before even putting them in and they are comfortable. I already feel my bite closing differently although I can't see any difference. I saw my Invisalign technician during my work shift which was pretty funny and she said by the 8th or 9th tray I should see a difference!

I try to avoid going out to eat as it requires me to brush my teeth in the bathrooms of the restaurant and I get odd looks and someone even complained (Harsh!). I find myself eating only twice or once a day and when I do they are big meals... Not sure if it's a good thing. I have gotten used to eating with the attachments and rarely hurt myself with them anymore! I have gone through 3 chewies in three weeks... Ooops!
Dr. Brent Coté

It's fascinating reading your story. It's also nice to know I'm not the only one .. That's how I feel sometime. You mentioned the chewies and I heard that couple times. Could you please tell me what it is?
Wait, somebody complained?????  What did they say??
Hello! I have almost as many trays as you (42) with similar problems. The attachments sucked but by the end of the first week with them my mouth became accustomed, and now I can hardly tell that they're in there :)
On the lisp side, you will get used to it! I noticed it for like 2 weeks; but it was very small and nobody did, but now I am 5 weeks in the treatment and I don' t have any issues at all. You will adjust just fine :-)
I find myself chewing on the chewie like it was gum and to alleviate the urge I have of grinding my teeth.. Is it a bad thing to do?
Isn't that what the chewie for?  Or do you mean you did it for a long time?  I don't know what's in those things, so you may want to ask your doctor whether that's safe.  It's likely to break down much faster that way.

As for the concert, are you playing 3 hours straight?  When I perform there's usually a 20-30 minute intermission.  If you have 30 minutes, it may not sound like much, but it could make the difference between having time for two meals instead of one, or three if you're a fast eater!  If you're really trying to stick to your time.  The Invisalign materials I was given said 20-22 hours/day wear time, but some other doctors insist on longer.

The doctors here on RealSelf are pretty unanimous in saying that you have to wear the trays 20-22 hours per day for them to work and give a stable result.  That last part is key.  But almost everyone messes up once in a while.  You just have to consider how often you're going to need to be performing with them out.
There is no intermission but my musical director knows and said I could skip the last part of the concert if I feel them moving too much which I did Monday during practice which lasted 4 hours. I will try to relearn just because I want to avoid taking them out as much as possible.
Hello and welcome!

We have very few people here from Quebec, but you bring the number up to two active invisaligners in any case :D.  Perhaps you'd like to meet Mil ou, who is on tray 6 now, so has pretty-much gotten the hang of this:).  She did have sores and a bit of trouble in the beginning, so she may have some words of wisdom for you!

Of course, we have lots of other Invisaligners as well.  Some of our newest (I took out those with gaps) are Klinden95, Crooky24, Sairisan, sarahmartin,Alignwithme, SugarKinesis, Mmapp1, FijiGNR89, Dante555, fi414, KaySanaY, Joliesmile, rlt0723, and ejamis.  Since you haven't posted a picture, I can't really guess whose issues are most like yours :).

I am curious if, once you get more accustomed to the trays, you might be able to play the trombone with them in.  The biggest barrier would seem to be the attachments, as they may make a significant difference in your embouchure.  The thing is, they'd be there whether the trays are in or not, so you may end up more comfortable with the trays in (since the attachments can be very uncomfortable in the beginning.)  I sing, and I found that after many hours of practice, I was able to get a reasonably good diction with the trays in.  I wouldn't perform with them in, but for rehearsal it worked fine.  I am extremely curious whether you are experiencing a change in your embouchure as a result of the attachments.  And it will also be interesting whether there will be a significant change as your teeth shift!

I look forward to following your progress!
Hi! The problem are not the attachments but more how the edges of the trays hurt when I stretch my lips to play. I tried with them but they also affect the control I have and I was often a bit to high or low with them (I've been playing for ten years so this was a big issue for me) probably because my teeth are thicker and they affect the way my lips position themselves. I just take them off as it's more comfortable and I can play normally. I will probably use the summer to get accustomed to playing with them but with the concert coming up I can't allow to not play well. As for Invisaligners in Quebec... The clinic I went to is the only provider in my region (Outaouais). There are some cosmetic dentists that offer it on the other side of the river in Ottawa but he's the only orthodontist! I posted some pictures today!
Thank you for explaining!  The lip stretching thing I didn't even think about, but that is so true.  Even though I'm only in retainers now, I still feel that my lips don't like to close over my teeth when I have the retainers in.  It's an interesting dilemma, deciding whether to relearn how to play in tune during your time in Invisalign or just taking the trays out.  But 3 hours is a long time, unless you're adept at fasting.  I practiced a lot of fasting while I was in treatment, LOL!