63 Yr Old Male with Rosacea Which Advanced to Rhinophyma, I Hope This Review Will Help Anyone Needing the Procedure to Decide.

I was probably first diagnosed with rosacea 20+...

I was probably first diagnosed with rosacea 20+ years ago and was prescribed tetracycline, then on to oracea, and minocycline, and some I don't remember.

The effects of the rosacea gradually evolved to rhinophyma. After several comments from kids in the grocery store and the angle at witch the selfie that I took with my grand daughter showed off the size and color of my nose I decided that I had better contact the people that my dermatologist recommended to me, and I am very glad I did.

I had consultation with Dr. Karen Stolman, We talked about reshaping the nose with an erbium/co2 laser, and what the risks were and what the outcome would be.

After talking it over with my wife and spending mucho time on the internet looking at anything I could find in the way of, before and after pictures of the treatment, (and I found a bunch...some good and some real horror stories) I made an appointment to set up a surgery date, and at that time I met Dr. Mark Taylor. Both he and Dr. Stolman were going to do the procedure. They gave me all the prescriptions to be filled and the list of things I needed to have at home after the surgery.

When I went in for the surgery they put some numbing cream on the nose and cheeks, I took a valium and I think about 40 minutes later they gave me some numbing shots in the nose. I think the reshaping of the nose with the laser took about 40 minutes. It was a painless procedure. They gave me instructions on what in needed to do once I got home. There wasn't really any pain afterward either. (pretty much a walk in the park)... I went in the office the next day and they showed me how to wash the resurfaced area and apply the healing ointment. On my third weekly follow up Dr. Taylor said I had healed well enough that they took some after pictures and said see ya in a month.

As I'm writing this review it is at the 6 week point. I am very pleased with the results of the laser procedure, and I highly recommend it. I had worries of scarring and pigmentation color lose, but didn't experience either, and like I said.....for me it was painless. The worse part for me was the healing ointment........you don't realize how many times a day you touch your nose, or put your nose where it doesn't belong, until it's covered with an 1/8" of ointment........... It gets everywhere.

Thanks for sharing your story and photos. Selfies get the best of everyone eventually! I never thought there was such a thing as a "good side" until camera phones were invented. :)

You look great -- fabulous results. Do you have to do any followup treatments or anything?
Thank you, I have an appointment on 5/14/2014. That will be week 7, I will update after that.

11 week follow up

What a great improvement. Congratulations on your result.
My dermatologist treated me and my husband with something called photodynamic therapy with Levulan. My husband had the same problem as you only not as advanced and also the beginning signs of rosacea. The treatment really helped him and was not too painful. His face peeled a few days after the treatment and as I recall we were not allowed in sunlight for a certain length of time. This procedure was done about 4 years ago so my memory is little foggy. Mine was done because my dermatologist wanted to see how much sun damage I had on my face as I have had two different types of skin cancer, basil cell and melanona (in situ) plus rosacea. As it turned out, my face had very little damage so not much results from the treatment. However, my husband's nose shrank in size and the skin color on his nose and face became more normal looking and has remained that way during the last four years. He goes out in the sun often and sometimes wears sunscreen. Also, just wanted to agree with Sharon that you did have fabulous results.
Thank you for sharing. I also suffer from Rosacea, no prescription medication has helped. It saddens me that insurance will not cover any Lazer treatment as they consider it cosmetic.
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Dr. Karen Stolman & Dr. Mark B. Taylor. Both Dr. Stolman and Dr. Taylor, along with their entire staff that I had the pleasure to meet, were very Professional, and very thorough, but it was more of a personal relationship than a patient doctor. In other words they are real down to earth people.