Don't take the risk

There are no pros to upper eyelid surgery. I was...

There are no pros to upper eyelid surgery. I was left with a lot of hollowness, scarring in the inner corner of my eyelid and shortage of skin.

The cons are that it is a risky procedure, if you don't go to the right doctor, you will be out of luck. Not much can be done for too much fat and skin that has been taken out of your upper eyelids and you will end up looking older from a skeletonized appearance.

Here is more information: A revisional blepharoplasty is a reconstructive corrective procedure that is done to fix mistakes and complications that occurred with a patient's first blepharoplasty surgery. The risk of needing a revisional blepharoplasty is low when a qualified and experienced surgeon performs the original surgery. Even with a highly competent surgeon, there will always be risks of complications associated with any surgery. Revisional blepharoplasty is often sought because a patient is dissatisfied with the aesthetic outcome of the first surgery. Some patients are dissatisfied with an overly conservative procedure, which may be remedied with revisional blepharoplasty surgery. It is very important that a patient fully understand what to expect of their surgical results. Having realistic expectations of a surgical outcome will reduce the likelihood that a patient will seek revisional blepharoplasty surgery. It is also possible that revisional blepharoplasty will be desired because of a surgical misjudgment made by the doctor, which results in asymmetry or under-correction. For this reason, it is important to have blepharoplasty performed by a competent and experienced plastic surgeon. Asymmetry is not an uncommon outcome of blepharoplasty surgery. If the imbalance is significant, revisional blepharoplasty may be an option to correct the problem. In addition to aesthetic discrepancies, there are many medical reasons why revisional blepharoplasty may be sought. As with any surgery, there are risks of complications associated with blepharoplasty surgery. Complications are rare but may include: blurred vision, loss of vision, ptosis, abnormal lid position, scarring, or skin color, eye burning, corneal abrasion, trouble or inability to close eyes, hematoma, double vision, and more. In some cases, these complications will heal on their own, some are permanent, and others can be corrected through a revisional blepharoplasty. The complications that may be corrected with revisional blepharoplasty can include: difficulty or inability to close the eyes, milia, ptosis, and other correctable problems. Milia is the formation of small skin cysts on the scar tissue, which may resolve without intervention or removed during revisional blepharoplasty. Ptosis is the creation of a droopy upper eyelid that is caused during the first surgery and can often be corrected with revisional blepharoplasty. Comparatively, a blepharoplasty procedure is one of the most difficult plastic surgery procedures to revise. This is because the delicate tissues of the eyelids are quite unforgiving when it comes to undoing the damage caused during a blepharoplasty surgery. Depending on a patient's condition, revisional blepharoplasty may be a viable option to correct problems relating to a blepharoplasty surgery. For more information on revisional blepharoplasty, please contact us to confer with a qualified surgeon in your area with the expertise and experience necessary to revise a blepharoplasty procedure.
Hello Cissy, I hope this finds you well. tre, is correct in her assessment of doctors. Dr. Hoeing in California is known for revisions. So is Dr. Lam, in fat voluming. Dr. Lam does allot of facial volume in place of face lifts. I had an i-consultation with Lam a few years ago. He can help with lower, but uppers can be tricky. Both physicians are out of State and since I do not know your financial situation this may not pose a problem for you. I choose to search in my immediate area,of Florida. I've stated before, this reversion is one of the most difficult to perform.You are going to hear good and bad results. It depends on the surgeon,your individual condition/situation,extend of correction, age and your health. Even the best surgeons cannot guarantee success. Since you had your surgery 3 years ago, and mine (7)seven,it may be in our favor. Looseness of skin in that upper area is what is needed. Since time has given that area a chance to use movement of muscle and as a result loosened and formed some saggy skin again, fat strip grafting,fat injections, or fat grafting have a better chance of surviving,and obtaining blood flow. Which method to use is the debatable one,there is where you must read and read, educate self. I had a consult with an experienced Plastic Surgeon/Oculoplasty in this area. He too thinks Strip Fat grafting is what is needed to add tissue,create volume to upper lid and re-create the crease or fold. Hopefully reshaping my eye to a more almond shape as well. Face lift was recommended for lower eyes area and loss of volume.You really must be careful. When one area is manipulated by surgery,it can negatively affect another area of your face. I'm not so sure about the face lift for reversion,and it is optional for now. That's based on me,and my individual needs. Again, there is a 90% success rate, for upper strip fat grafting, but that 10% unsuccessful rate is as real as everything I've read regarding this reversion, and techniques. I've stated before,my expectations are to have some resemblance of what my eyes once looked like in shape, volume and form. I will "never" have my old eyes back. I have not yet made any final decisions. I have attached some information regarding volume to upper and lower lids you may find interesting. Educate yourself!Finding a doctor in this specialized area,using new approaches that are more apt to work, good luck. Rehabilitation of the volume deficient anophthalmic or enophthalmic socket. Methods: A retrospective review of clinical and photographic records of 12 patients with either an anophthalmic or enophthalmic orbit (14 orbits) undergoing volume augmentation by micro-fat grafting, or lipostructure, as initially described by Coleman. Patients with orbital volume deficiency seen in the oculoplastic clinic at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, London, UK, were invited to participate in the study. The technique is discussed in detail. Results: The volume of fat injected ranged from 0.8mL to 4.5mL (median, 3.05mL) per orbit, with a median increase in exophthalmometry measurements (available in 9 patients) of 2mm (range, 0–7.5mm). Subjective improvement in cosmetic outcome was experienced in all patients. Repeat grafting was required in 1 patient, and will be required in another patient. There were no embolic complications. The procedure was well tolerated in all patients. Median follow-up was 14.5 months (range, 12–30 months). Conclusions: Micro-fat grafting to the anophthalmic or enophthalmic socket appears to be a safe alternative technique for orbital volume enhancement. It has the advantages of avoiding alloplastic infectious complications, ease of technique, minimal donor site morbidity, acceptable graft take rate, low embolic complication rate, and good cosmetic outcome.
Cissy, I'm sorry this happened to you. I don't think you look as bad as you see yourself though. As far as revision, I have been doing a lot of research into fat grafting/injectibles in the eye area, and have come to understand who the experts are in these areas. I have specifically read reviews of patients who have gone to Dr. Jonathan Hoenig in LA for revision of botched eyelid surgeries. He is an oculoplastic surgeon, and is very highly regarded as an expert at the eye area. I've also learned a lot about Dr. Samuel Lam in Dallas - he is an expert in fat grafting around the eyes. Just thought I would share this info, because I don't think that revision is impossible - you just have to find the right person. Best Wishes!

Photo Update

Hello, Has anyone been left with scarring in the medial canthal area? My doctor took way too much skin off in this area and I have visible hypertrophic scars (inner corner of my eyelid). I look so deformed; I cannot even wear eyeshadow on my eyelid because of the scars. What was the point of having this surgery if I can't even wear make up? My surgeon never even met with me for the pre op, what a loser!!!!
you might want to consider: Dr. Aharanov from Los Angeles. Check out the pictures under non-surgical lid lift where he addresses your problem. Hope this helps.

I am in the process of having to get a skin graft...

I am in the process of having to get a skin graft on my left upper eyelid due to the skin that Dr. Nesmith took off. I am unable to close my left upper eyelid and must use cling wrap and use an eye patch with dry eye ointment in it every night. I also am unable to wear any make-up due to the loss of skin. I am left with hollowness as well as too much fat was removed. There is not much else that can be done when too much skin and fat have been removed. If anyone is intent on doing it; please seek an oculoplastic surgeon for this procedure who will take your individual eyes into account and will be conservative with skin and fat removal and not damage the integrity of your eyes.

I also had horrid results from my surgery about 8 months ago and my heart goes out to you and all the others you share our fate. ..and thank you for sharing your stories. I went to a very reputable surgeon and still had a terrible outcome. My scars (which are not in the creases) are raised and very visable - even with tons of makeup. Too much skin was taken and I constantly feel a pull on my lids. I cannot look up propery and when I do visions is blurred. My heart breaks when I see all the "worth it" responses and I just hope those visiting this site take the time to consider their results could be the same as ours in the "not worth it" category. ...if you are reading this and have not done this surgery yet please, please, please take the time to consider your results could be worse than what you have now and spare yourself the heartbreak!
I cannot e-mail you because some of the letters in your e-mail address look like they have been removed.

Hello,
I had the same thing happen to me in Gainesville by a different doctor. I am also in a nightmare. I hope for your sake that your eyes were able to be fixed and you have found relief from the pain. I have been seen by my Opthamologist and two Occuplastic Surgeons. I have permanent dry eyes now. I miss my upper eyelid skin. I was hoping the two Occuplastic surgeons would do skin grafts but they won't do it. Were you able to find a doctor who will do the skin grafts? I wonder if you could email me privately? my email address is km***3@yahoo.com. I'm depressed and desperate.

This procedure changed my life forever. I have...

This procedure changed my life forever. I have functional problems with my eyelids and cosmetic problems as well. What I wish I had known before that not all plastic surgeons are skilled at eyelid surgery and to minimize risks, one should only go to an oculoplastic surgeon instead of a general plastic surgeon like Dr. Nesmith.
Thank you, Vickisue! Question: Did the mid-face lift leave the "lower" face with a sunken in appearance. It seems that if one moves the cheeks upward the area around the mouth and jaw line will look less full. Did you seem to experience that? Further...did your Dr. add fat volume just to the lower eyes? Thank you.
Thank you for sharing.
An oculoplastic surgeon is "an eye surgeon" who is capable of doing all related eye surgeries from the lids to the orbit to the graft to tumors and everything related to the eye. A general "board certified" plastic surgeon can do tummy tucks, breasts, and faces (if you wanna risk it) and will also do eyes but is not an eye "specialist". If I had known this before my eye muscle was cut and my lids lopsided I would have gone to a specialist ONLY. I am very thankful I found an oculoplastic surgeon that was skilled enough to repair/reconstruct my eyes after my general plastic surgeon botched it.
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

I had a terrible experience that ruined my life.