Don't take the risk

There are no pros to upper eyelid surgery. I was...

There are no pros to upper eyelid surgery. I was left with a lot of hollowness, scarring in the inner corner of my eyelid and shortage of skin.

The cons are that it is a risky procedure, if you don't go to the right doctor, you will be out of luck. Not much can be done for too much fat and skin that has been taken out of your upper eyelids and you will end up looking older from a skeletonized appearance.

Photo Update

I am in the process of having to get a skin graft...

I am in the process of having to get a skin graft on my left upper eyelid due to the skin that Dr. Nesmith took off. I am unable to close my left upper eyelid and must use cling wrap and use an eye patch with dry eye ointment in it every night. I also am unable to wear any make-up due to the loss of skin. I am left with hollowness as well as too much fat was removed. There is not much else that can be done when too much skin and fat have been removed. If anyone is intent on doing it; please seek an oculoplastic surgeon for this procedure who will take your individual eyes into account and will be conservative with skin and fat removal and not damage the integrity of your eyes.

This procedure changed my life forever. I have...

This procedure changed my life forever. I have functional problems with my eyelids and cosmetic problems as well. What I wish I had known before that not all plastic surgeons are skilled at eyelid surgery and to minimize risks, one should only go to an oculoplastic surgeon instead of a general plastic surgeon like Dr. Nesmith.
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

I had a terrible experience that ruined my life.

Thank you, Vickisue! Question: Did the mid-face lift leave the "lower" face with a sunken in appearance. It seems that if one moves the cheeks upward the area around the mouth and jaw line will look less full. Did you seem to experience that? Further...did your Dr. add fat volume just to the lower eyes? Thank you.
Thank you for sharing.
An oculoplastic surgeon is "an eye surgeon" who is capable of doing all related eye surgeries from the lids to the orbit to the graft to tumors and everything related to the eye. A general "board certified" plastic surgeon can do tummy tucks, breasts, and faces (if you wanna risk it) and will also do eyes but is not an eye "specialist". If I had known this before my eye muscle was cut and my lids lopsided I would have gone to a specialist ONLY. I am very thankful I found an oculoplastic surgeon that was skilled enough to repair/reconstruct my eyes after my general plastic surgeon botched it.
what is name of your oculoplastic surgeon
Scott Sigler in Edmond, Oklahoma (north Oklahoma City). If you can't travel this far call his office and ask for referral. (text me and I will give you my name if you want a referral and feel better saying who sent you or I would be happy to contact him and ask on your behalf.) He, actually, was referred by my idiot, incompetent facial general plastic surgeon and ended up being amazing, fantastic and awesome!!!!! I think they know each other but are not actually friends. Small miracle. Great ending!
Thanks a lot for the information. I live in PA but I am willing to travel for a good dr.Please send me your email id.
my email is doctordeb7@hotmail.com phone: 405-359-7105 debbie
I, too, have a situation like yours. Have you found any doctor to perform reconstructive surgery and if so, whom?
Oculoplastic surgery is not the one to go to. THey do eye tumors and that is different than comestic surgery that you got. Look up the definition of oculoplastic surgery.
I also had horrid results from my surgery about 8 months ago and my heart goes out to you and all the others you share our fate. ..and thank you for sharing your stories. I went to a very reputable surgeon and still had a terrible outcome. My scars (which are not in the creases) are raised and very visable - even with tons of makeup. Too much skin was taken and I constantly feel a pull on my lids. I cannot look up propery and when I do visions is blurred. My heart breaks when I see all the "worth it" responses and I just hope those visiting this site take the time to consider their results could be the same as ours in the "not worth it" category. ...if you are reading this and have not done this surgery yet please, please, please take the time to consider your results could be worse than what you have now and spare yourself the heartbreak!
I cannot e-mail you because some of the letters in your e-mail address look like they have been removed.
I have the same problem. I went to see a Specialist Plastic Surgeon last week and he is confident to perform a skin graft for me.

Hello,
I had the same thing happen to me in Gainesville by a different doctor. I am also in a nightmare. I hope for your sake that your eyes were able to be fixed and you have found relief from the pain. I have been seen by my Opthamologist and two Occuplastic Surgeons. I have permanent dry eyes now. I miss my upper eyelid skin. I was hoping the two Occuplastic surgeons would do skin grafts but they won't do it. Were you able to find a doctor who will do the skin grafts? I wonder if you could email me privately? my email address is km***3@yahoo.com. I'm depressed and desperate.

Hello:
No, unfortunately, I have not had much luck in finding relief from not being able to close one of my eyes. I have permananent shortage of skin from Dr. Richard Nesmith in Gainesville. Skin grafts are risky because they often do not match the surrounding skin - I have had 2 doctors recommend skin grafting but they have both said that it will not look good.
I am seven months post op and I don't think the end result has settled in yet. When I am rested my eyes/lids look different than when I am tired. It takes MUCH longer to get the final result than these "thrilled with the procedure" people express. But, I can also say that my oculoplastic reconstructive surgeon was able to get my eye to close after my general plastic surgeon botched the eyes. Still, I am waiting and waiting and patiently waiting....for the 12 months mark before I consider the end result. Best wishes to my sisters!
Hello0123,
First of all you are only 4 weeks post op and have nothing to worry about. My eyes were the same as yours that early after surgery. My doctor advised me to push the lowers lid up and hold them for about 30 seconds, say 10 times a day (check with your doctor), this helped a lot. My eyes settled down within a couple of months and then afterwards they looked great, I got many compliments on my lovely eyes. At work I had a few "looks" but I ignored them, pretended I didn't see them and people left me alone. You are still healing it is ONLY 4 weeks since your operation and I can ASSURE you that you will only get better. If you read my post I was fine for 15 years then the aging process set in and now I am having trouble. I had a good 15 years of looking great, however, the aging process, unfortunately, changes things. In conclusion, please remember you are very early in recovery and you have nothing to worry about. As far as your co-workers go, tell them that you have an eye infection or something like that. I am very sure that you do not look like a freak, we always think we look worse than what we do! Please contact me again if I can help you in any way.
Hello,
My problem is different, I had my upper and lower blep 15 years ago. Everything was fine until about 6 months ago. I noticed people looking at me very strangely and one person actually laughed in my face. I couldn't understand what was going on? Then when I looked in the mirror I saw that my left eye was smaller and a different shape to my right eye, it seemed to happen overnight. I did some research and found out that if a doctor performs canthopexy on your eyes, as you age it can have a detrimental effect on the eyes. I believe something tightened in my left eye pulling it up and changing the shape, how it got smaller, well I have no idea. I thought the opposite happened, that as you aged skin sagged. I am deeply depressed over this, I cannot go out as people look at me strangely, I have even had hostile stares. I have made an appointment with an occuloplastic surgeon and am praying to God that he can help me. I have become a shut-in and if I don't get the help I need then I do not know what I will do. If anyone else has had this experience I would like to hear from them and see if they can shed some light.
Lucrezia,

I know how you feel. I'm going through the same thing. By the way, I'm 4 weeks ( 1 month) post op.

After 4 weeks off from work, I was ready to go back. When I arrived at work, my co-workers were looking at my face strangely too. I couldn't understand why. Most of the bruising and swelling were gone. Why are they staring at me and whispering behind my back?

So I decided to check the mirror. It turn out my right eye has been drooping the whole time. I didn't look like myself. In fact, I look like a freak.

Now I'm horrified to go to work tommorrow again. My co-workers are very intrusive people. They will make your life miserable by gossiping. I'm very depressed. It is taking longer than I thought to heal from this surgery. I feel like quitting my job. I don't know what to do.
Yes, I must agree with you. Your eyes look hollow. Your eyelid surgery was botched.

I don't think your eyes will look normal again. You will need to spend extra money for medical treatment since you can't close your eyes fully. I wish you luck.
Thank you for verifying that Dr. Nesmith botched the upper eyelid surgery. He never did admit it, I asked for money back to use to get help from an oculoplastic surgeon but I did not get it.
There is a woman and if you google "the woman who can't close her eyes " and had too much skin taken out. She sued dr. Paul Parker in ridgewood, nj and did get money but she will never be the same and do not know if money can fix it. The lawyer was a Roy something or other and dr. Parker also did face surgery on me and one side has slightly fallen and his secretary is his wife and when I called for a follow up and to see if there was something he could do to help this his ignorant wife said i would have to pay 250.00 for a follow up and was very nasty. Was paid a considerable amount of Money and didn't even call after to see if I was okay.
Hello, Has anyone been left with scarring in the medial canthal area? My doctor took way too much skin off in this area and I have visible hypertrophic scars (inner corner of my eyelid). I look so deformed; I cannot even wear eyeshadow on my eyelid because of the scars. What was the point of having this surgery if I can't even wear make up? My surgeon never even met with me for the pre op, what a loser!!!!
you might want to consider: Dr. Aharanov from Los Angeles. Check out the pictures under non-surgical lid lift where he addresses your problem. Hope this helps.
Here is more information: A revisional blepharoplasty is a reconstructive corrective procedure that is done to fix mistakes and complications that occurred with a patient's first blepharoplasty surgery. The risk of needing a revisional blepharoplasty is low when a qualified and experienced surgeon performs the original surgery. Even with a highly competent surgeon, there will always be risks of complications associated with any surgery. Revisional blepharoplasty is often sought because a patient is dissatisfied with the aesthetic outcome of the first surgery. Some patients are dissatisfied with an overly conservative procedure, which may be remedied with revisional blepharoplasty surgery. It is very important that a patient fully understand what to expect of their surgical results. Having realistic expectations of a surgical outcome will reduce the likelihood that a patient will seek revisional blepharoplasty surgery. It is also possible that revisional blepharoplasty will be desired because of a surgical misjudgment made by the doctor, which results in asymmetry or under-correction. For this reason, it is important to have blepharoplasty performed by a competent and experienced plastic surgeon. Asymmetry is not an uncommon outcome of blepharoplasty surgery. If the imbalance is significant, revisional blepharoplasty may be an option to correct the problem. In addition to aesthetic discrepancies, there are many medical reasons why revisional blepharoplasty may be sought. As with any surgery, there are risks of complications associated with blepharoplasty surgery. Complications are rare but may include: blurred vision, loss of vision, ptosis, abnormal lid position, scarring, or skin color, eye burning, corneal abrasion, trouble or inability to close eyes, hematoma, double vision, and more. In some cases, these complications will heal on their own, some are permanent, and others can be corrected through a revisional blepharoplasty. The complications that may be corrected with revisional blepharoplasty can include: difficulty or inability to close the eyes, milia, ptosis, and other correctable problems. Milia is the formation of small skin cysts on the scar tissue, which may resolve without intervention or removed during revisional blepharoplasty. Ptosis is the creation of a droopy upper eyelid that is caused during the first surgery and can often be corrected with revisional blepharoplasty. Comparatively, a blepharoplasty procedure is one of the most difficult plastic surgery procedures to revise. This is because the delicate tissues of the eyelids are quite unforgiving when it comes to undoing the damage caused during a blepharoplasty surgery. Depending on a patient's condition, revisional blepharoplasty may be a viable option to correct problems relating to a blepharoplasty surgery. For more information on revisional blepharoplasty, please contact us to confer with a qualified surgeon in your area with the expertise and experience necessary to revise a blepharoplasty procedure.
just had revisional surgery done for some minor mistakes on my upper lids about eight years ago, also for some additional cosmetic reasons on my lower lids. So far I think the results are going to be fantastic. My point is that there are those out there that can do revisional surgery on the eyes and are very capable and trustworthy. Usually "gung-ho" surgeons are the ones to stay away from and the ones that have a conservative approach are the ones who you can trust. I would tell people who have lid surgery to make sure you do proper research, talk to others who have had similar procedures done by the surgeon you plan on seeing and talk to him several times to see his approach. More than anything, finding the correct surgeon is of the utmost importance and a positive outcome will likely depend on that. There are good surgeons and bad surgeons. Find one that is conservative and that specializes in just a few procedures.I learned from experience ....