Fractional CO2: my Trip, Age 59 (Lip Lines, Marionette Lines & Old Age Spots) - Fort Myers, FL

I am a 59 year old women and wanted to get rid of...

I am a 59 year old women and wanted to get rid of lip lines, marionete lines and some old age spots. Went in yesterday and had it done.

Did it hurt? Yes sir it sure did---felt like red hot needles--but the pain (as long as you could squeeze your hands together) was bearable.

Today is my first day of recovery. I look like a monster~ even my dogs are looking at me strangely! I know I will be better as time goes on---and looking at others that have done it is proof to me. Am I happy I had it done? So far yes---let you know in a week!!!

After 6 months I still have wrinkles, but maybe a...

After 6 months I still have wrinkles, but maybe a little more "blurred". But the age spots are gone which is good.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Very caring Doctor. Even gives out his cell and home number to all patients having procedures in case they need him! How many other Doctors do that?

43 yo with mild outer eye crinkles, few fine lines on upper lip and small dimpling of upper chin but significant chest wrinkling. Had CO2 laser on face, neck and chest Thursday with iv versed and fentanyl, felt significant discomfort around jaw line but otherwise ok. Had been using retin A and hyroquinone until a few days prior which probably contributed but post procedure looked like I was the victim of a shotgun blast. The next day swelling was extreme to entire face, nose and eyes with beet red color over entire treated area. Today is day five- face has mostly peeled. Wrinkle free (due to swelling...hmmm?) Face is till a bit swollen and pinkish-red. Chest with significant patches of beefy red mid-process of peeling. Losing monstrous appearance but still would not be seen in public. Breaking out with tiny white-head pimples all mid-to-lower face (which did not have any pimples before). Using Aquaphor, ceptaphil washes 2-3 times a day. Started on 10mg of predisone daily for 3 days to speed up the healing process (in sales and need to return to work).
Hello gypsygirl...I checked with the doctor and considered two things: [1] being Rx'd an antibiotic which possibly was not necessary and dont want to over-use antibiotics. [2] necrotic skin does have an odor and after 2 days, the necrotic skin was gone and so was the smell. I have a follow-up appt with both the treating doctor and a dermatologist just to be sure! Things are looking good though...and later on, I'll post my healing and recovery photos along with symptoms and complications. I appreciate your response, thank you!
I didn't notice any odor. I would call your Dr. just to be sure there is no infection.
I would like to know more info about the two posts: On 01 FEB 2010 from Jomultimama, "Did your skin smell weird at all? I've noticed today that my face smells bad. Maybe it's just the dead skin still attached to my face..." and on 02 MAY 2011 from uptowncountrymfg2004, "...I noticed an odor and thought it was probably the dead skin on my face." I had CO2 Fractional Laser done on my face on Tuesday September 13th @ 5-6pm, so I'm closing in on my 3rd day and late yesterday and today I've noticed a sour smell. At first I thought it was my damp hair being pulled back and some of the Laser Balm, as I've washed my hair everyday but pulled it back without drying it. This morning, I dried my hair and can still smell something sour, similar to vinegar? I prepped my face this morning: washed it with Cetaphil, applied Cetaphil Lotion, then ELTAmd Laser Balm. I patted my mouth after eating and I can actually smell the sourness from the excess balm. I'm curious as to what this smell is and assimilated it to dead-skin (as well) or new skin? My doctor said if I smelled "bad" that he'd Rx me an antibiotic. I'm not herpes or cold sore prone, so this could either be a common side-effect as two other ladies have had the same experienc as me. Or this is a bacterial or fungal infection; post-Tx early stages...? Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks
Uptowncount..Congratulations to you!
One thing I want to let you know, I have had the CO2 Laser twice. The second time was in February and the doctor did a little more around my mouth and lips. It has taken nearly two and a half months for that redness to subside. It looks really good, but I am very cautious about putting on lots of sunscreen and my overall face looks better every week. I think that the full results are seen at four or five months...SO don't give up and be really gentle with yourself and your face.

P.S. I also did my eyes (CO2) and that was AMAZING. Looks like an eyelift and I am going back to do one more time.
Hi, I am 45 yrs old and have always received comments that I look young than my age. As I am getting older and look at fellow classmates and compare. The classmates that have taken care of their skin over the years and stayed out of the sun had beautiful skin. Myself, I love to tan in the summer in the tanning bed. I have noticed the last several years my neck is aging me and I wanted an opinion from a plastic surgeon. I thought about a neck lift, but he encouraged me to CO2 Fractional Laser Resurfacing. I am 4 days post having the treatment. The 1st day coming out of anesthesia, my face was on fire. This lasted for about 5 hrs and then subsided. I looked like a burn victim! My skin was oozing for 48 yrs....GROSS! I noticed an odor and thought it was probably the dead skin on my face. I about passed out both times I patted my face and neck with water. I applied CU3 cream to my face and neck, on the 3rd day my skin began flaking off and all the skin came off the 4th day. I still have some dead skin on my neck. My face is really red, not so much my neck, but I continue to put on CU3 cream. I was never told that the redness was going to last about 2 wks and then turn pink and stay pink for about a month. I can definitely see results!!! My face is baby soft and smooth, no lines!!! My neck still is a little saggy under the chin, but has tightened up some and looks better than it had. Would I do it all over again, probably! I can't wait to see what my skin looks like in a month. For all you 20 and 30 year olds who have beautiful skin....take good care of it...and love the skin you are in!!!!
LuLuDog -- I know what your face looks like!! I did a full face CO2 laser and wore a mask for 2 days when they pulled it off, OMG!!!! And I put aside 1 Month Minimum!
Without faithfully taking 2 oxycodines every 4 hours for over a week, don't know how I got through -- BUT we all did :-) and got better faces for it.

Hope you are all healed and enjoying your new beautiful skin!
wow please tell me how much?
i mean i was about 2,200 dollars? how many sessions??
I think I am now happy that my dermatologist told me my wrinkles are too deep and I should go straight to a facelift.

Did you get a facelift, or are you, going too? Thanks!

-Britt

I too had CO2 fractional resurfacing done September 2009 and the results were pretty good. At first I was severely swollen and looked like a monster. I tried to stay inside as much as possible because people starred at me like I was an alien. I ended up having to take medication for the swelling. The proceedure itself was extremely painful, I had my whole face done and they only numbed me with some cream which didn't work very good at all. It all depends on the doctor and what they use. It smelled like they were frying eggs. It was well worth the pain because it took away some light lines and seemed to even out my skin. However you definitely need to get this done again after about six months to get the best results. It didn't remove my sunspots so I have to get it done again but for the first six months I had beautiful skin texture. All and all I would definitely recommend to get it done with the thought that you will have to get it done twice.
OK. I had the Matrix Fractional Lazer face resurfacing done yesterday. Today I look like a horrific monster with skin that has been burned by fire, not delicately lazered. None of the pictures I've seen on the internet have shown burning as badly as what I have. Liskeveen, I appreciate very much what you have posted, however, your skin looks nothing like what mine looks like. I have streaks of dark brown burn spots all over my face. The swelling is softball like.

I suspect there are skin strengths that may not be considered for this procedure. I am a light-skinned Norweigan/English woman who is 55. My purpose for this procedure was to continue staying in the Corporate Sales game without being the obvious Old Lady. My initial understanding of a down time of 7 days has now been easily tripled.

Oh, and the pain of the procedure. . . the terminology I read and heard was "uncomfortable." Bullshit. It hurts a lot. Your face is frying.

I've heard that it will get better, and I'm sure it will. I just wish there was more honesty about the procedure from all areas - Dr's, patients, nurse practicioners. Down time is minimum 2 weeks, and initial pain is horrible.

your absolutely right, thanks for being honest its been 5 days for me and I am still having pain not as much as the procedure but can't even lightly touch my face it hurts lie hell. I see all these you tube videos they look great after 1 Week , they must have been paid off and time must have sped up for them. no next time for this one.

How can you say for certain that there is a minimum of 2 weeks downtime if you just had the lazer done yesterday?
By the way, regarding above post, I am 69 yrs old, and had a face lift and laser resurfacing 6 yrs. ago so I know the drill. I've spent money over the years on Botox and other fillers, so decided to spend one last time on the CO2. I am hopeful - and confident - that it is going to turn out even better than the last time.
Well? how did it turn out for you? Would love to hear!
Hi Travelgal, Well, how did your laser go? All better now?
So, how did it work out? I am just turning 70 and friends have threatened abandonment if I have a face lift I have an appt for consultation next week. Would you do it again? Sounds like you just about have to set aside a month to recover. Thanks
Hi Liskseveen,

Sorry it took me so long to answer. I haven't been on this site for a while. My laser went great. However, today is 6 months since I had it done and FINALLY, 99% of the redness is gone. However, my skin looks amazing and I was always able to cover the redness with makeup. I even got a compliment last week from a stranger at the nail salon who commented on what beautiful skin I have. Best wishes to you for a great holiday season!

Welcome back travelgal. Glad to hear everything is still going well.

-Britt

Thanks Liskeeven and everyone for being an inspiration. I had the Matrix CO2 laser 2 days ago. I look like I've been in a train wreck, but am hopeful that within a week or two the swelling and red blotcheness will go down and I'll look SOMEWHAT NORMAL, ha ha! I'm using hydrocortison twice a day and Acquafor 4 times a day. Haven't washed my hair yet, but was told I can start washing my face with Cetaphil tomorrow - so maybe I can shampoo my hair then too. Good luck to you all.
Hi, I had the same treatment done 13 days ago (they call it DOT at the place where I went). My face and neck (especially) is still red and scaly, but it is getting slowly better each day. My skin looks horrible without make-up, very blotchy and uneven with red welts here and there. I can't tell yet what it all will look like once the redness and scaling goes away. What is your opinion about the procedure now? Did you have any problems with pimples or crusting during your recovery period? I am somewhat relieved to hear your story and see your pics - you look exactly like what I looked like last week! But I'm still a little worried about how long it is taking to heal..
I guess, after reading the fine print, that your last photo was taken on Jan 28... Amazing results for 10 days out!
Well I had my laser treatment done yesterday. I must say they went a little more powerful in areas (my cheeks where the big scarring was) than they did for you, it appears. I truly look like roadkill. But you are right, it's not painful just uncomfortable. I've been slathering on the vaseline and the shower has truly been my best friend. You are much braver than I am, as I have been taking pictures but refuse to post them on the internet! Thank you again for your insight and words of encouragement! I truly think that once this is all over, I'll be glad I had it done :)