Ultherapy Caused Droop on Right Side of Mouth - Fresno, CA

I had Ultherapy almost 3 weeks ago and still...

I had Ultherapy almost 3 weeks ago and still suffering paralysis droop on the right side of my mouth. It has improved over the weeks but still noticeable when I talk, drink or eat. The office initially gave me antibiotics to reduce the serious swelling and after seeing my speech was greatly impaired 2 days after procedure. They said it would subside over the next week but I'm still waiting for things to return to normal. In addition I now have a very odd 1 1/2 inch vertical 'bump' on my face next to my mouth. They said it was because the nerves still need to return to normal... Hardest part is I told the office that I would be on camera as a spokesperson for a music company in less than a week after the procedure. Nothing was said, signed or shared about the possibility of paralysis of the face nor risk of abnormal appearance beyond temporary swelling. I am waiting to hear what the doctor of the facility today as the person who treated me will be consulting with her today to discuss what I can do, I may have to take antibiotics again.

4 months later...

I was just contacted by another woman who this happened to, they told her it would take a month. I want others to know that is not always the case. It does go away eventually, but mine is over 3 months.
Initially they told me it would take 2 days... then a week... then a month before they told me the truth ... it 'could' take up to 3 months. They offered to inject Botox to the other side to help with the symmetry. This did not sound like a good idea to paralyze the other side of my mouth, so finally upset about being misled I called Ultherapy headquarters and they said 'absolutely not' a good idea and also assured me that they had not heard of it lasting for more than 3 months. Then told me they could not communicate with me direct and that they would communicate with the Drs office. I found it interesting that they didnt want to stay on top of this directly with me.

Anyway.... its is now over 4 months and there are still a few words that my bottom lip does not work perfect, but its not very noticeable. It appears this will return completely to normal at some point.

I had my follow up 2 days ago at the Docs office. I made the appt with the doc, not the nurse who did the Ultherapy procedure (as I felt misled through this entire process)... initially they had the nurse see me after the photos were taken, she tried to tell me she saw improvement but I am a photographer and know about lighting. The lighting used for the photos was MUCH brighter and blows out the face to 'appear' smoother. However I could still see where my face actually looked worse and there was absolutely no improvement at all, in fact my cheeks had lost volume. After the actual Dr reviewed the photos she said 'No, this did not work for you' then used Restalyne and Juvederm to fix and fill in areas that had lost volume and distorted after treatment. It looks MUCH better now other than a bruise from the injections.

Best advice is to keep on top of taking photos, I have a few videos and photos, but wish I took more. I encourage everyone to keep track in case of needing to prove anything. Apparently it affects everyone differently and stay positive that it will return to normal.... eventually....

1 year, 5 months later DONT RISK IT

The Ultherapy paralysis still remains slightly visible when speaking and resting. One side of my mouth droops slightly and I try to hide it with lipstick compensating the droop, however, you can certainly see it when I speak in video. Really sad I went down that road and never got the results of plumping up my collagen in any area. Wish I was able to get my money back, very expensive with horrifying results.

Mouth still droopy on right side

The first photos are from about a week after the treatment, they are blurry cause my camera doesnt take close ups clearly. Regardless, you can see the distortion and the paralysis. One is with puckering, second is with sipping (it was impossible to sip any coffee, cups, water, etc without it spilling out for a few months) The last of the series of 3 close ups is at rest.
The 4th photo is from today.... still droopy, still distorted and still waiting for it to return to normal. It has been heartbreaking to go through this and see photos of what it did let alone think about what i look like when I talk. I do see myself from time to time, like today getting my hair lightened... I caught myself talking and the mouth still droops slightly. Really sad I wasnt warned about this. And when I called Ultherapy after a few weeks, nobody would discuss this result with me. They said I had to talk to the Doctors office. I wonder how many other people went through this.....

FDA filing

I filed a report to the FDA regarding my experience. Initially I wanted to find out if my doctors office filed a report with either Ulthera or the FDA and from what I could find it appears they did not. Sadly and not surprised I found other women who had similar experiences with Ultherapy treatments elsewhere. Wonder how many other incidences of damage have not been reported by the doctors office who administer these treatments or the patients.