30 YO - Wanted It for a Decade. - Fresno, CA

I've been reading this site since Nov. 2013. This...

I've been reading this site since Nov. 2013. This is something I've wanted done for about 12 years or so. I have a receding chin, practically non-existent. Since I had a wife, I stopped worrying about it but after she left, I decided this is something I wanted to do for me. This site is a mixed bag of good and bad stories, I hope I can add another good one. I wanted Dr. Mabrie cause he is considered one of the best but he is out of my price range. I chose Dr. Truong after seeing another member of this site have a good experience. Truong had also followed up with him on this site and I liked the care I witnessed in that exchange.

pre op picture

Getting close to surgery...

Its almost time. Surgery is this Monday. Ill be taking the week off work. The implant that was suggested is a large Implantech mittelman pre jowl.

Day of surgery

Yesterday was the day. I had the procedure done at 10am. The whole thing was over by 11am. I only had local anesthesia so I was awake and aware during the surgery.

It took about 2.5 to 3 hours for the local to wear off and I am glad I took a vicodin at noon or it might have been painful.

The area is really tight and seems huge from being swollen. My pain never exceeded a 5/10 and that is only if I talked or tried to chew. If I just sat with my mouth shut it was more like 2/10.

It is odd cause the chin area looks cartoonish cause it doesn't have the movement that it use to. This will return soon.

1 day post surgery

Day 7

Welp, it has been a week. I feel really good. I have had a very easy recovery so far. I never had any numbness or severe pain.

At this point, I still have some tightness and every so often I can't talk exactly right. I also can't quite smile my original smile. However, this has improved day by day and I don't expect to last too much longer.

I've grown my facial hair all week so I have a slight beard which most likely hides any swelling that might still be left (which I can't tell if any actually is left). My incision is healing nicely and I keep moist with polysporin.

So far I really like the look and am happy I went through with this. I'll most likely wait another week and then Ill shave. After that I'll update the pictures and most likely change the status from "not sure" to "worth it".

Forgot to mention...

I have only had one person ask anything. Its a coworker I am extremely close with and she gave me the "something seems different" line. I had purposely let my hair get a little longer than usual before the surgery and then cut it a little shorter than usual before returning to work. I also never grow a beard so I had those to things to use as excuses and that seemed to satisfy her. I think she still thought something else had changed but she couldn't place it.

My brother saw me and hasn't noticed a thing.

The other reason that no one talks about....

I am going to be personal and real here.

Make no question about it, I did this surgery for me, myself and no one else. I hated my profile and thought it ruined an otherwise attractive face. However, here is some personal info and a bit of a life story about the other side of this...will I be more attractive?

Up until about 6 months ago, I had been with the same person for 6 years. We met when we both worked together at a restaurant. They hired her as a manager and I was then her subordinate despite the fact that she was 21 at the time and I was 24. After about 4 months, we started talking and then dating. Eventually we had a kid, got married and had a second. Then 6 months ago, she decided she was done. So I now share custody of our babies and am single.

I am all about self improvement, I stay in shape, I work hard, and I tried to be the best husband I could be. I have always hated my profile and weak chin but since I had found my partner (or so I thought), I stopped worrying about it cause obviously she found me attractive: right?!

Anyway, fast forward to today. I have been on at least a dozen first dates (I forgot how bad and tedious dating is). I think that by the "normal" standard I would be a catch; Check the boxes for attentive, caring, honest, reliable, in shape, tall, educated, personality, good job. However, because of my profile, me facial aesthetics had a serious flaw that I believe was holding me back. In a man's case I think we can get away with being slightly less attractive if we have a great personality, this has carried me most of my life and I have done well with it.

The point of this is, yes I did this for me and only me but I think it has benefited me in the dating/attractiveness department. I had been talking to a girl for about a month and wanted to try that first date but had my procedure coming up. I was able to stall long enough to get the procedure done, wait a week and then do the date. I am happy I did cause this one can't stop raving about how "handsome" I am. She is extremely attractive and our date was a ton of fun cause she speaks well and is very engaged. I can't say what might have been if I did the date before the procedure but if It was like 75% of the other dates I had gone on, I would have heard, "you were great and you're smart and fun but something is missing".

Anyway, that is a peak at the other side that doesn't get discussed much. Sorry for the novel lol.

13 days post op.

Its been almost 2 weeks. My smile, speech and all my facial expressions are 100% back to normal. That tight feeling is still there if I do certain things but I explained my thoughts on that before and expect it to gradually subside and be completely gone by week 4.

This thing has been seamless for me. No one seems to have a clue that I did it but it has made a great difference. My incision is healed but still slightly raised and a bit red. I know this will go away in time as well. Just keep putting ointment on it. I cut my beard down to stubble and might rock that look for a week or so.

front at 13 days

Almost 1 month

Sooooo, It's been a little while. Except for a few facial movements, the implant is all but undetectable. My facial hair doesn't really grow where the incision is and it's still a slight bit raised but not bad. I feel so good about doing this. I'm going to give this blog the personal twist again just cause I think it shows a different side of this story that no one else is sharing. I don't plan on keeping this part up for long since it is a bit personal. I mentioned most things before so go up and read that to get an idea of what is going on. The date I went on went very well and we have been on a few others since. I always knew I was a catch except for this darn receding chin. Well, this girl is really into me for all my other qualities and this time the receding chin isn't ruining it for me. So her are some very personal pictures that won't be up long but I think tell the other side of the story that no one talks about much but deserves to be mentioned. Much thanks to the surgeon and the new chin.

Scar at 1 month

For those who have asked. Here is the incision point 1 month post op.
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Dr. Truong is nice, friendly and to the point. I didn't have a lot of questions cause I had spent a long time reading up on the procedure. A 4 out of 5 on time spent with me is not a knock on Dr. Truong, I didn't need a lot of time cause I did lots of research and knew what to expect.

Hey buddy, Awesome results, whata difference isn't it? Having a weak chin, both on male and female just looks and not normal.that's why a right size chin that is balanced with the face makes you and anyone else more attractive and "normal" looking. That's a fact. And I agree with 100%, I also did my surgeries for myself, because I wanted improvemy looks and look better and normal. Having a weak or no chin isn't normal,having crooked nose isn't either. I personally was well awareof myfeatures from the profile view since 4th or 5th grade... So I did my surgery for myself, so I'm happy with myself and like myself first, not for a girl. Does it help to know, girls find u attractive now? Sure....but then again, beinggood looking orbetter looking isn't every girls taste either. So I'm convinced, both males and females do surgery on themselves to please themselves and not others. I kinda compare that with crooked teeth, people fix theirteeth by wearing braces etc so they are happy with their straight teeth and not for others. Btw I'm the type, evenif I had a hot gf or wife, id still take careof my looks and not let myself go just because I'm taken cause I have now a hot wife or gf. If u take care of yourself and havea healthy lifestyle,ull be happier than others who are taken and good. Things come to those who least expect it :)
Is $3250 the total cost? Or just the Dr's fee? Thx
That was the complete, total, out the door price.
hey man hows it going? hows everything with the new chin you still loving it? hey how is your chin now? does it look different or does it look the same from the day you got the procedure done? i heard it becomes more natural looking as the months go by?
Everything is great. This was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I would have to agree that it does look more natural over time. Even the past 2 weeks, I have noticed some very slight changes. I image that is just the swelling coming down...swelling that you don't even realize is swelling. I think it has been a positive change in my life. It is still a secret from all but one person in my life.
It really sounds like you love your decision for going thru with this and i agree. And i have to greatly agree when you said in your experience that "something was missing" meaning no matter how good you look it isn't complete if you dont have that ideal chin. im glad you brought that up because its true. a chin changes your appearance so much and i believe that you can look good but you can never look great without a chin and from reading your experience you backed it up
Lovemynewchin-- I agree with you 100%. Who needs any more insecurity?
WOW. I DEFINITELY think you did the right thing. Love how you were even able to keep it secret from everyone. I'm lousy at secrets (unless asked to keep one, or if outing a secret would hurt someone) -- maybe I should say I am LOUSY at hiding my own deficits from others! But you did a great job. It's hard NOT to think that the new chin didn't have some effect on your recent dating experience. I think my life would have been different had I had both my teeth straightened and my chin advanced when I was in my late teens or 20s. But back then I had never even heard of such a thing. Congratulations! Soooo happy for you.
Thank you for the kind words. To this day the only people that know are this website, the doctor, his staff and a great friend of mine who took me and let me hide out for 3 days until things settled some. This thing will go to the grave with me. It is for me and I don't need or care to share. I did share here because I think this community could use an unsenored story of success. Sorry, I already took down pictures of the new GF and I. Willing to PM. Those or more pictures if anyone needs more help deciding.
There are implants that provide more of a square look from the front.
I am very happy with the implant. Thank you Dr. Truong.
It is my pleasure, glad you are happy.
Really nice job, you look great!
Your new chin looks great! Dr. Truong does really good work. Seems like you are very happy with the results.
Thank griff. I am extremely satisfied. I have my 1 month follow up this coming Friday. Dr. Troung did perfect and the follow up from him and his office is fantastic.
Did you have chin liposuction too or just the implant?
Just the implant. I only have about 11 or 12% BF so I didn't have a fat to suck out.
Well, you look great! You are a good looking guy.
Thank you.
CONGRATS!!! You scar is so faint under your chin,you look great. I'm sure in 6 months it will be even lighter. Happy Healing.
Bravo, thanks for the details of your procedure and frank discussion. You look fabulous. I need a chin too. How long is the incision / scar? How was the implant fixed in place?
The incision is between 1/2 an inch and 3/4 of an inch long. I just posted a picture for you. The implant was sutured in place during surgery. If you look at my pictures right after surgery you can see that the suturers that hold the implant in place caused a strange dimple under my (not the chin dimple I had already had but a new one lower and slightly underneath .y chin). This scared me at first cause I thought I was going to have this odd indent from then on. However, when the swelling decreased everything leveled off and there was no indent. The scar is still slightly raised but I'm not worried about it at all and it will level and fade in time.
Thanks for the photo of the incision, can't see the dimple! I appreciate the time taken to photograph and reply. Happy new relationship : )