30 YO - Wanted It for a Decade. - Fresno, CA

I've been reading this site since Nov. 2013. This...

I've been reading this site since Nov. 2013. This is something I've wanted done for about 12 years or so. I have a receding chin, practically non-existent. Since I had a wife, I stopped worrying about it but after she left, I decided this is something I wanted to do for me. This site is a mixed bag of good and bad stories, I hope I can add another good one. I wanted Dr. Mabrie cause he is considered one of the best but he is out of my price range. I chose Dr. Truong after seeing another member of this site have a good experience. Truong had also followed up with him on this site and I liked the care I witnessed in that exchange.

pre op picture

Getting close to surgery...

Its almost time. Surgery is this Monday. Ill be taking the week off work. The implant that was suggested is a large Implantech mittelman pre jowl.

Day of surgery

Yesterday was the day. I had the procedure done at 10am. The whole thing was over by 11am. I only had local anesthesia so I was awake and aware during the surgery.

It took about 2.5 to 3 hours for the local to wear off and I am glad I took a vicodin at noon or it might have been painful.

The area is really tight and seems huge from being swollen. My pain never exceeded a 5/10 and that is only if I talked or tried to chew. If I just sat with my mouth shut it was more like 2/10.

It is odd cause the chin area looks cartoonish cause it doesn't have the movement that it use to. This will return soon.

1 day post surgery

Day 7

Welp, it has been a week. I feel really good. I have had a very easy recovery so far. I never had any numbness or severe pain.

At this point, I still have some tightness and every so often I can't talk exactly right. I also can't quite smile my original smile. However, this has improved day by day and I don't expect to last too much longer.

I've grown my facial hair all week so I have a slight beard which most likely hides any swelling that might still be left (which I can't tell if any actually is left). My incision is healing nicely and I keep moist with polysporin.

So far I really like the look and am happy I went through with this. I'll most likely wait another week and then Ill shave. After that I'll update the pictures and most likely change the status from "not sure" to "worth it".

Forgot to mention...

I have only had one person ask anything. Its a coworker I am extremely close with and she gave me the "something seems different" line. I had purposely let my hair get a little longer than usual before the surgery and then cut it a little shorter than usual before returning to work. I also never grow a beard so I had those to things to use as excuses and that seemed to satisfy her. I think she still thought something else had changed but she couldn't place it.

My brother saw me and hasn't noticed a thing.

The other reason that no one talks about....

I am going to be personal and real here.

Make no question about it, I did this surgery for me, myself and no one else. I hated my profile and thought it ruined an otherwise attractive face. However, here is some personal info and a bit of a life story about the other side of this...will I be more attractive?

Up until about 6 months ago, I had been with the same person for 6 years. We met when we both worked together at a restaurant. They hired her as a manager and I was then her subordinate despite the fact that she was 21 at the time and I was 24. After about 4 months, we started talking and then dating. Eventually we had a kid, got married and had a second. Then 6 months ago, she decided she was done. So I now share custody of our babies and am single.

I am all about self improvement, I stay in shape, I work hard, and I tried to be the best husband I could be. I have always hated my profile and weak chin but since I had found my partner (or so I thought), I stopped worrying about it cause obviously she found me attractive: right?!

Anyway, fast forward to today. I have been on at least a dozen first dates (I forgot how bad and tedious dating is). I think that by the "normal" standard I would be a catch; Check the boxes for attentive, caring, honest, reliable, in shape, tall, educated, personality, good job. However, because of my profile, me facial aesthetics had a serious flaw that I believe was holding me back. In a man's case I think we can get away with being slightly less attractive if we have a great personality, this has carried me most of my life and I have done well with it.

The point of this is, yes I did this for me and only me but I think it has benefited me in the dating/attractiveness department. I had been talking to a girl for about a month and wanted to try that first date but had my procedure coming up. I was able to stall long enough to get the procedure done, wait a week and then do the date. I am happy I did cause this one can't stop raving about how "handsome" I am. She is extremely attractive and our date was a ton of fun cause she speaks well and is very engaged. I can't say what might have been if I did the date before the procedure but if It was like 75% of the other dates I had gone on, I would have heard, "you were great and you're smart and fun but something is missing".

Anyway, that is a peak at the other side that doesn't get discussed much. Sorry for the novel lol.

13 days post op.

Its been almost 2 weeks. My smile, speech and all my facial expressions are 100% back to normal. That tight feeling is still there if I do certain things but I explained my thoughts on that before and expect it to gradually subside and be completely gone by week 4.

This thing has been seamless for me. No one seems to have a clue that I did it but it has made a great difference. My incision is healed but still slightly raised and a bit red. I know this will go away in time as well. Just keep putting ointment on it. I cut my beard down to stubble and might rock that look for a week or so.

front at 13 days

Almost 1 month

Sooooo, It's been a little while. Except for a few facial movements, the implant is all but undetectable. My facial hair doesn't really grow where the incision is and it's still a slight bit raised but not bad. I feel so good about doing this. I'm going to give this blog the personal twist again just cause I think it shows a different side of this story that no one else is sharing. I don't plan on keeping this part up for long since it is a bit personal. I mentioned most things before so go up and read that to get an idea of what is going on. The date I went on went very well and we have been on a few others since. I always knew I was a catch except for this darn receding chin. Well, this girl is really into me for all my other qualities and this time the receding chin isn't ruining it for me. So her are some very personal pictures that won't be up long but I think tell the other side of the story that no one talks about much but deserves to be mentioned. Much thanks to the surgeon and the new chin.

Scar at 1 month

For those who have asked. Here is the incision point 1 month post op.
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Dr. Truong is nice, friendly and to the point. I didn't have a lot of questions cause I had spent a long time reading up on the procedure. A 4 out of 5 on time spent with me is not a knock on Dr. Truong, I didn't need a lot of time cause I did lots of research and knew what to expect.

Really nice job, you look great!
Your new chin looks great! Dr. Truong does really good work. Seems like you are very happy with the results.
Thank griff. I am extremely satisfied. I have my 1 month follow up this coming Friday. Dr. Troung did perfect and the follow up from him and his office is fantastic.
Did you have chin liposuction too or just the implant?
Just the implant. I only have about 11 or 12% BF so I didn't have a fat to suck out.
CONGRATS!!! You scar is so faint under your chin,you look great. I'm sure in 6 months it will be even lighter. Happy Healing.
Bravo, thanks for the details of your procedure and frank discussion. You look fabulous. I need a chin too. How long is the incision / scar? How was the implant fixed in place?
The incision is between 1/2 an inch and 3/4 of an inch long. I just posted a picture for you. The implant was sutured in place during surgery. If you look at my pictures right after surgery you can see that the suturers that hold the implant in place caused a strange dimple under my (not the chin dimple I had already had but a new one lower and slightly underneath .y chin). This scared me at first cause I thought I was going to have this odd indent from then on. However, when the swelling decreased everything leveled off and there was no indent. The scar is still slightly raised but I'm not worried about it at all and it will level and fade in time.
Thanks for the photo of the incision, can't see the dimple! I appreciate the time taken to photograph and reply. Happy new relationship : )
You're welcome. The dimple can be seen in my picture posted June 17th. In the recent photos, it is gone.
Wow! I bet your ex-wife will be kicking herself.
Hahaha Thank you, that is very kind. You look great, I wouldn't fix your nose but I understand wanting something. I hope everything goes smooth and you get the result you are looking for.
Thank you so much. It's funny how you see yourself vs. what others notice. Honestly the confidence from people fixing/improving on something that has bothered them for a long time is more attractive than anything else. Enjoy your new life and feeling good!
I have never had self confidence issues but I did know that my chin didn't match everything else about me. Its nice that it isn't something I feel like I need to compensate for anymore. Thanks for the kind words. I agree that the confidence is really the attractive part. Good luck with the nose.
Thanks very much and take care!
Hah! You weren't kidding when you said you weren't "bad looking" :)
Thank you so much. Always nice to hear. I actually wish I had about 4 mm more projection but that would take a jaw advancement surgery (no thanks). As is, my surgeon did fantastic and balanced my chin to my face perfectly. My brother and I got asked if we were twins last week (he has always had the looks in the family with his perfect jaw and chin). It was most likely a line just to be able to talk to us but Ill take it lol.
It looks good, did they knock you out or was it performed under local anesthesia? I kind of went the cheap route and had mine performed under local anesthesia, i felt and heard everything that was going on. I still remember him using the cauterizing tool and smelling my burnt hair when he did, the vibrations from the tool he used would travel to the nerves in my teeth...it was....excruciating. That and the grinding of the bone, cause apparently he had to create a groove along my jawline to place the implant in. I remember opening my eyes and seeing my blood all over his gloves...I was glad it was over when it finally was...but i think it was worth not having to pay the anesthesia, i dont believe in paying to be knocked out for a surgery.
Diamond- Wow I don't know how people can do it under local anesthesia. That seems to intense. I had Twilight anesthesia and didn't know a thing that was going on.
Hey Diamond, hope we didn't get on the wrong foot with that other conversation. I did local as well. The bone scraping is intense, you can feel it and hear it, I don't think it hurt but it mind rapes you pretty good while your in it. I'd do it again though.
hey man i read your whole post...im glad you love ur results...your post was very informative and i like your new take on how it affected your live positively thats unique and like you said people dont mention that on these posts and you did so thanks...your profile pics look great but my question is how did it affect the front of your face and also when your face is turned to the side a little but not completely turned? did it have any affect or non at all? thanks man
Hey. Thanks for reading. I've tried to make this as detailed as possible cause I know it helps those looking into the procedure. I happen to be a mechanical engineer so thinking technically and presenting those thoughts in a clear way is part of what I do for a living. Anyway, to your questions, I think there has been little to no change to the front of my face whether smiling or not. Those views when your head is slightly turned have improve dramatically. I'll also add, in our day of snapchat, I would avoid selfies cause I hated most angles. Now, I feel way more comfortable. I don't do this often but I went out to the bar with my little brother last weekend and I noticed an increased amount of attention. Hope that all helped.
thanks man...very informative as always. your brother still hasnt notice lol? I was kind of surprised that you didnt see any changes to the front of your face. i would assume your face would look longer and the chin would be wider from the front right?
Not exactly. There might be a slight difference because of the wings on the implant but from the front it's hard to tell. Since the implant projects forward it has no effect on the front view. Not sure if you have had experience with mechanical drawing, but a change to a side view doesn't always show on the front view...my brother still has not clue and my ex wife hasn't noticed either. My kids also didn't say anything.
oh okay i see...its because i was hoping for some positive effect to the front of the face...because do to my receding chin my face has more of a rounder look than i liked and i was hoping that an addition of a chin implant will make your face look less rounder and make it kind of a square ovalish if you get what i mean. i guess its different for some people because gturbo said it made his face more longer and added width to the chin. thanks for your insight man