Fraxel - Treatment 1

I spent all weekend researching the Fraxel II...

I spent all weekend researching the Fraxel II treatment before my appointment on Wednesday. I spoke with my Doc on Tuesday and raised the issues that I had read about at this site, specically post-op issues, meds for pain, and downtime. I was very specific and I think I caught her somewhat off-guard with my questions. I was seriously not going to have the treatment if I didn't get specific answers to these issues. The Doc explained that my treatment was specifically designed for acne scarring. The laser would be set deeper and the beams would be set further apart so there would be more tissue spared. She told me that based on her experience everyone reacts differently to the treatment. The Doc prescribed Valtrex as an anti-viral anticipating cold sore breakout. No other meds. My experience was: 1. the lidocaine cream was left in place for about 90 minutes. 2. I had no other pain meds. The Doc was amused by the comments I related about nerve block injections, IV sedation, Xanax and Vicodin (sp) and commented that if I wanted to do only a small test area that she would accomodate. 3. laser: took about 10 minutes for the treatment. She did 7 passes over my entire face. My nurse used the cooling wand. I had no pain, tingle yes, but nothing like the reviews. 4. Post-op: Day 1 Treatment:Ice immediately after the treatment, moisturizer, then I went home. (My nurse who assisted the Doc had 3 previous full face treatments and several cheek only treatments. She looked great.) My face felt like I had been exposed to super cold temperatures (below 0) and then felt like a bad windburn. I was red and somewhat swollen all day. I iced during the day but gradually felt better. I could have gone out if I wanted. Thursday Day 2: today, less red; some swelling around my eyes but generally, the swelling has gone down to almost normal - the best part - my worst acne scars (cheek)are gone today. My wife and I really can't believe the results so far. I am moisturizing and applying sunblock every 5 hours. Some peeling starting to occur at the base of my nose. I suspect the diminished scarring is probably the result of the swelling but if I can end up with these results after 3 treatments it is worth the money and minor discomfort. No breakout of acne or white heads. Tomorrow I am going to the gym and then to work. I will post after Day 3. Good luck everyone.

13 Days - It's been almost two weeks since my...

13 Days - It's been almost two weeks since my first treatment. I continue to moisturize and sometimes put sunblock on. My wife insists that the deepest acne scars and large pores have disappeared and that my color is much better. The deeper lines and wrinkles are still there. I have my next treatment on June 6 and will add to the review. I am happy so far - no reactions, not any pain or downtime after the first 36 hours. Definitely a thumbs up so far.
Dr. Christine De Edwardo Lahey Clinc Lexington MA

Dear Quasimoto, I'm sure that you will look great after the treatments are over. The staff at Leahy is great and very considerate. They called me to make sure I was feeling OK after the final treatment. The only issue I had after the treatments was that they double billed me. Almost paid it but it was no problem straightening things out. Congrats - glad to hear all went well. Your husband is a lucky guy. Best, Peter (Rookie)
Hi Peter: You deserve a medal for all the time you take with this blog. I had my first Fraxel treatment with Dr. D'Edwardo on Tuesday. She is lovely, as is everyone who works there. Except for the fear of the unknown, it was like a few hours at the spa. The discomfort was minimal.I was afraid that when the numbness wore off, it would feel like novacaine wearing off after the dentist. It did not. The only downside was the fact that the day after the treatment I looked like Quasimoto, the Hunchback of Notre Dame. My husband said I was exaggerating, but that's how I felt and I think he was being nice. So, when they say there will be swelling, that's what they mean. This is now day 4 and I feel okay to go out. Thank you again. Cindy
Hello all I had my fractional co2 laser surgery today in Brisbane and all is well so far! I have had laser before {in the old days} and this is much easier. Very easy to have the procedure pain wise and very little pain post op so far (9 hours later) in fact pain is not the word I would use... slight discomfit would be more apt. I am doing the vinegar and Vaseline routine whenever the oozing gets too much (I don't like the "trickling" factor!!) Anyway I feel so much better than previous procedures an will keep people posted with honest feedback if you have any more advice for me that would be great Cheers Christine
Hi paat, Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner. I worked with [edited - see note} in Lexington. She was very good and was easy to work with. good luck with the treatment rookie -- Editor's Note: Provider information appears at the top of the review. You must be signed in to view, which requires free registration for an account.
Rookie, Thank you so much for your review, it was really helpful and informative.I suffer from very bad teenage acne scarring and hence considering the Fraxel. I live in Burlington,MA and a patient of lahey clinic too. can you please give me the doctors name who did the procedure for you? will help me a lot to discuss it with my primary care as I have my yearly checkup coming up this friday.. Thanks in advance.
Cindy, I had 3 treatments, (they suggested 4-6. The cost was $2400 but I had a coupon (yes - they had something like $500 off). Yes you typically have to pay in advance. I was concerned about down time and reaction so they let me pay for the first treatment and make a decision about continuing. I then had 2 subsequent treatments and paid in advance. I am still happy with the results after 8 months. Best, Rookie
Hi: I just read your comments and am going to call Lahey Clinic on Monday to talk to someone about having this treatment. Can you tell me how much it cost per treatment. Also, did you have to pay for a the treatments in advance or pay as you go. Thanks in advance. Cindy
Jocelyn. Just realized that I left out something important. If you have questions and concerns, I highly recommend that you ask your doctor before proceeding with any treatment. Best wishes! SusanL
Yes, there is a one-treatment Fraxel laser. Reliant Technologies has three Fraxel laser systems, the one-treatment system is the re:pair. It is the most intensive treatment and because it does the work in just one session the recovery time is greater, probably off work for a week. There is also more intensive "wound care" involved because this is an ablative CO2 laser. The Fraxel laser that my doctor used was the re:store, which is one step down from the re:pair, it is non-ablative and requires multiple sessions, done 3-4 weeks apart. The down time is minimal with the re:store treatment. If I absolutely had to I could have put on make-up and gone back to work the next day. If you want more information on the Fraxel lasers and treatment results go to the Reliant Technologies and Fraxel websites, I found them very helpful.
I'm going in and my doctor said fraxel II was a one-treatment deal. that's all I paid for...am I going to be disappointed. I'm 50. thanks
Rookie, Thank you so much for your review, it was informative and very helpful. I also think the advice you gave to Skyshell was excellent. I too have acne scarring and that was main reason I decided to try Fraxel. I had my first treatment last Thursday, was going to go alone but am now very thankful that my husband ended up taking me. I did experience some discomfort during the treatment, post treatment my face was very red, had some swelling the first two days, then my face felt like sandpaper, still does in spots, and I do have a few breakouts. I'm thankful I didn't find this website until the Sat after my treatment because at first glance there are a lot of negative comments. However, I noticed that many gave up after one or two treatments and I was shocked at the number of people who had a tech instead of a doctor perform the procedure. Looking forward to hearing about your final treatment and results. Thanks again for your encouraging words and advice!
I have had two of four scheduled Fraxel treatments with a doctor in La Jolla - I love the results on my neck & chest area and have had no complications or problems with this procedure. Incidentally, I have tried numerous other procedures that did not work at all. Also, my doctor has added in my crowsfeet - they suggested Botox with the first treatment to facilitate smoothing of the skin while I get the treatements done. It does look better and I am now 6 weeks out from the first session.
Thanks Peter. I wound up going for the consultation with a reputable dermatogist in my area (Nassau County, NY) and decided to go ahead. I had my first treatment this morning. I have some redness and swelling, but nothing like I was anticipating. I was given valium and a vicadin, not to mention the numbing cream. So, I was really feeling no pain. Even still the laser was uncomfortable, but not unbearable. I prepaid for 5 treatments. My next treatment won't be until the end of July, (only because I will be away). I'm hoping to get some good results. Best of luck to you as well.
Skyshell, I read the postings and share all of your concerns. I spent a half hour on the phone with my Doc before my first treatment discussing all the horror stories and recommendations posted. My wife admits that there is a real difference that she can see after the first treatment. I had my second treatment 8 days ago. It went well. I was much more upbeat and positive about the treatment than during the first,(very nervous and concerned about complications.) The second treatment had less downtime than the first with a higher setting. I have not had a real peel of skin, which is unusual. I am convinced that everyone is different and tolerates the laser differently. I was very unhappy with my appearance - deep acne scars. The treatment made a big difference for me in a lot of ways. I am very happy that I spent the $ and had the treatments. My third treatment is scheduled for July 11 and that will probably be the last. Three things: make sure that the Doc is reputable. I went to Lahey Clinic in Burlington MA - big hospital, with strict protocols. I would not go to a boutique Laser Center for this, just me. 2nd: have someone go with you for the first treatment. 3rd: make sure they leave the numbing crean on for at least 1 1/2 hrs. My face was completely numb for 4 hours after the treatment. You don't want to feel anything right? Best of luck with the consultation..it was worth it for me.Let me know how it goes. Best, Peter
Please continue to update, I'm going for my consultation this Friday and I'm seriously considering Fraxel for acne scars. Your results seem really promising, and I want this treatment to work, I have been put off by some of the results that others have been getting. I hope you see the results you desire!