Adverse Effects Fraxel Repair

9 months after fraxel, my scars are still there,...

9 months after fraxel, my scars are still there, as are the hypo pigmentation, red lines and streaks and rough skin.  prior to this my skin texture was perfect, but not so firm at 48 and I was hoping for tightness.  The laser had little or no effect on the loose skin.   Needless to say my laser treatment has been horrible.  The laser company final changed their advertisement to say there is a small risk of scarring ABOUT TIME!!!!

I have heard from so many sad people that have gone through fraxel repair ,  this laser has too many risks, please look at other laser treatments first.

It has been 6 months of negatives. I have hypo...

It has been 6 months of negatives. I have hypo pigmentation, red lines and streaks, rough skin and scars.  In additions the laser had little / no effect on my face wrinkles.  I could not leave the house for 2 months without the stares and looks of pity.  It was horrific.

The laser company final changed their advertisement to say there is a small risk of scarring.   ABOUT TIME!!!!!!     I have heard from so many sad people that have gone through fraxel repair that have been left with negative issues.

Elizabeth What laser did you have Fraxel Restore or Fraxel Repair?.... Christine had repair and she wore wet wraps for 2 months but still she says it now looks like she has acne scars and has hypopigmentation... I had the Restore laser.... Do you know what laser was used??
Jean M It may be that you became accustomed to being careful sleeping on your back ect.... subconciously scared to roll over on it or scratch it ect... If it continues I would consider getting hypnotized.Or taking sleeping pills for a week or so.... Some yoga and affirmations aimed at relaxation and sleep may help?? I would imagine its the same as forcing yourself to use an injured arm ect after it has healed..Your body/mind gets in habits ect.. Did you do anything else at the same time?? What kind of laser ??
It certainly is helpful to read of the experiences of the members of this forum. I had full face lazer resurfacing 1 month ago, and I haven't been able to sleep through the nignt since the proceedure. Has anyone had any experience with the lazer causing Autonomic damge causing sleep deprivation? I hope I'm not submiting a question off topic.

May 2009, it has been a year since my fraxel...

May 2009, it has been a year since my fraxel repair laser. So it is time for a final update.

- My experience was horrible. For 2 months I was horrific looking, for 7 months I had issues that could be covered up if I was in a dark room with heavy makeup on. The last few months, my skin has settle down but I have been left with permanent loss of pigment, minor scars, and I still have rough areas to the skin around my eyes. It was not worth it. There has been some improvement in the skin. (see photo)
- What I learned was that a responsible doctor is very important. The majority of people that had similar experiences to mine went to their doctors, and the doctors did not know how to treat them, and they have not faired well to say the least. My doctor was concerned and treated me well or I would still be extremely disfigured today. Everyone should be proactive with their doctors. Ask them, what happens if I have an adverse effect? Who will pay to have the face fixed if there is an issue? Do you have the knowledge to deal with adverse effects? Do I get a refund if things go bad?
- I am angry because the laser company has been marketing the product as no risk, no documented case of issues – even though I have been consistent in contacting them. The doctors who are referred to on their website also say the same think. And, the sales people have been selling it as no risk to doctors, who therefore feel comfortable buying it, even though they may not have the knowledge to fix adverse effects. After dealing with them for months and months with not even an * added to their website stating the risks, the media got involved. Since then there have been some positive reactions by the laser company. It is too bad it takes media hype to get a reaction from them; they should have acted in good will and done it on their own.

Christine have you had any other laser treatments through the years. I had CO2 in 96 and sort of knew I wouldn't have negative reactions. Your case may remain a mystery. I know you like the doctor, but he had to be inexperienced with the laser. I had my first Repair done May 8, 2008 and I was only my doctors 13th patient.
Christine, have you ever got a viable answer as to what went wrong? I have had 2 Repairs at 70mj with no complications and good improvement, and I am planning a 3rd for the fall.
All of you who follow this site on Fraxel re:pair go to "Skin and Allergy News", to the June 2009 issue and go to page 38. Finally, as best I can tell, this mess has finally made it into literature so that innocent patients like those who have suffered and described their experiences on this website.

It took a long time, but I finally found the...

It took a long time, but I finally found the FDA report filed by the fraxel people.  It took so long because the product was mis spelled twice???  Curious, how do you misspell your own product.?  They typed Praxel instead of Fraxel.  HMMMM, even worse though is that they stated I had an incident but healed with no scars or hypo pigemnt issues,  COME ON,  I call them regularyly , and send them pictures....HOW DO THEY SLEEP??????

Following is an email from the FDA. Dear Ms.Hoene,

There is a typo in the name of the device. It is recorded as ‘Praxel’ instead of ‘Fraxel’. That is probably why you weren’t able to find the report. You can click on the following link to see the report.

Updated on May 28, 2010:

I had Fraxel 2 years ago; it burned by skin and caused many nightmarish cosmetic issues (see earlier posts). But, now that seems insignificant! one year after fraxel I started getting a very painful facial rash that has not gone away and is only controlled by steroids. This is also happening to another women, bad enough it ruined my skin, now it is ruining my health! SO FRUSTRATED AND SAD!

THIS IS DOCTOR AND LASER PHYCICIANS DISCUSSING ABOUT YOUR REVIEW VERY INTERESTING READ. LINK TO THIS IS http://medicalspamd.com/solta-thermage-fraxel/post/552482 http://www.realself.com/review/fraxel-laser-horrible Check out the above link and the scarring that has taken place in this patient after the Fraxel: Repair procedure. Reliant was in the room when this procedure took place as it was part of a demo. Settings used: Eyes: 20 mj , level 7 (25%) Lateral cheek: 25 mj, level 7 (25%) Central face, Chin and Nose: 40 mj, level 10 (40%) Upper lip: 40mj, level 12 (50%) [img]http://www.realself.com/files/imagecache/full/files/images/20%20days%20later%20white%20streaks.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.realself.com/files/imagecache/full/files/images/week%208%20biop.JPG[/img] 09.22 | ? The first rule of Fight Club is... DON'T TALK ABOUT FIGHT CLUB! 09.22 | Lurker A clinical exchange forum... and yet the subject of scarring is taboo? 09.25 | Lurker The logical guess would be wacked out calibration on the unit itself, possibly do to a failed part. Kind of scary to think that might happen at any time. Operator concerns don't seem possible with reliant there. Patient variables couldn't be enough for that kind of damage. 09.29 | figero Agree with figero here. Fraxel Repair should never cause that kind of damage - esp at those settings. 10.1 | Dr. Blank One of the problems in the whole laser industry is that NONE of us know what is really coming out of our lasers. There is no calabration system, no feedback, no way to mearure fluence, pulse duration, etc. We just treat on FAITH alone. 10.1 | Jim The comment that doctor's/clinicians treat with lasers "on FAITH alone" is terrifying to think about. Why not treat with peer reviewed studies over SEVERAL YEARS based on results SEVERAL YEARS OUT, rather than faith alone. I'm betting those who prescribed Accutane, early on, wish they had not treated with it on the faith placed in the drug company, rather than YEARS of studies on the long term affects of the this powerful drug. Same with lasers, treating patients based on the "word" of the laser manufacturers rather than years of peer reviewed studies/papers on the long/short term risks/outcomes. 11.29 | Just Me Actually, on my fractional Co2 laser, the Juvia - there is a calibration system. Just hold the laser up to the sensor, fire a pulse, and check to see if you are getting what you are supposed to. It's amazing more companies don't have this feature. 11.29 | TF Another example of how the EXECUTIVES at the laer companies have no respect for human life. They are a bunch of money hungry weasles. If they were not, don't you think they would do some of these things. Believe me, if it was their wife's face or their daughter's face, they would be the loudest whiners and complainers. But it is MY patient and it is NOT their face. Executives, get your act together. Start doing the RIGHT thing and stop being such weasles! 11.29 | Weasle Detector That's why manufacturers have a service department. The calibration procedure is to obey the manufacturer's guidelines for having your machine serviced. That's also why Candela is the industry leader for patient safety - you cannot use their lasers until it has been calibrated every time you change an energy setting - the laser fires through the delivery system, and measures the actual output that will be delivered to the patient. 02.8 | responsible owner Frexal is a joke and has been for the past few years, if not they would not put out their version of fracrional Co2 where you can buy a Korean Machine for 30% of the price of a Frexal Repair. Frexal repair is their submission that a Fractional CO2 is better than the original Frexal erbium glass ?1550 or 1540nm or whatever which I don't really care. And they produce a lot of PIH in type 3 skin or above. Anyone have experience please share these. I am not impressed with Frexal with whatever generation they put up with 02.10 | Nk Frexal is a joke and has been for the past few years, if not they would not put out their version of fracrional Co2 where you can buy a Korean Machine for 30% of the price of a Frexal Repair. Frexal repair is their submission that a Fractional CO2 is better than the original Frexal erbium glass ?1550 or 1540nm or whatever which I don't really care. And they produce a lot of PIH in type 3 skin or above. Anyone have experience please share these. I am not impressed with Frexal with whatever generation they put up with 03.15 | Nk Clearly an untreated infection. was it cultured? another example of why only core physicians should do these procedures. 03.28 | dermdoc This lady died. She hid away in her home for nearly 2 years after having the fraxel done because of the damage it did to her face she was ashamed to be seen. She went to doctor after doctor after doctor and no one could explain how this happened or why. Autopsy report shows lesions and scars in the area where the Fraxel treatements were done. She had recurrent open sores for nearly a 18 months after the treatments. While the treatments themselves did not kill her, she died indirectly because of the depression and hopelessness brought on by what this device did to her face and her life. 03.31 | DCNGA Actually, that is not the lady who died, but this is: http://www.realself.com/review/do-not-do-fraxel-ruined-face-burns 03.31 | DCNGA
hard to read like that but here is the link to this discussion again http://medicalspamd.com/solta-thermage-fraxel/post/552482 They know how unpredictable lasers are
DebD, a 30 year esthtician, is my lifelong friend and I totally respect what she has to say about this industry. She does not agree that roaccutane is the answer. This is despite what Vickyy writes about as helping her. Glad Vickyy feels helped and she does list a number of cautions to her experience. But Deb says accutane does a number on the gut and it takes 5 years to straighten out.

He made sure I healed as well as I could. For me to recommend him after what I went through should say a lot.