Fraxel Ruined my Skin, Should Be Banned by FDA

A friend and I made appointment for Fraxel to...

A friend and I made appointment for Fraxel to clear some very minor discoloration of the skin and as pre-treatment for minor fine lines in very early stages. My friend had hyperpigmentation from an old chemical peel in her teens, which had left her with mildly blotchy skin in one area of the cheek.

After my first treatment, which was excruciatingly painful, I had good results. The skin looked more even toned than before (it was never really bad) and I was pleased with the results. Both of us rescheduled for two more treatments as the doctor said we needed "at least 3". This doctor was one of the main researchers for Fraxel. I was quite excited because if it would get better I would basically end with perfect skin - which would be amazing.

I was not able to see much difference on my friend, but my results were good. The second treatment felt even more painful and the skin never looked good even after weeks of healing. In fact, it looked something it never had: broken out and blotchy. The pain from this treatment lasts an entire day.

The skin will become deeply red and tanned, like a burn victim, and become hot and pulsating with pain for at least one to two full days. Gradually over about 7-10 days the burn appearance will go away and will peel. I spoke with other patients in the waiting room and everyone described it as extremely painful.

The reviews on here claiming it to be painfree are absolutely NOT real; clearly they are posted by the manufacturer. Its impossible to call Fraxel pain free. After the second treatment the skin became even more blotchy red and uneven. I started seeing wrinkles I had never seen before but we thought it was temporary and that the skin just needed to recover from the harsh laser. The doctor said I had to complete all treatments for it to improve.

After the third treatment, which seemed endlessly excruciating with no amount of local anesthesia helping for pain at at all my skin tone and appearance just begun getting worse with a huge increase of visible wrinkles.

A year after the last treatment I was casually talking with my friend and noticed that her skin looked 'old' for the first time; she was only in her mid 30's. Her complexion was worse than I had ever seen and the skin had signs of serious premature aging she had not had before.

I carefully asked her about her skin, and she said she felt it had become worse after Fraxel and had noticed that my skin looked worse than it ever had but had not wanted to say anything to not hurt me. We had made the exact same observation and because we both did the treatments together we had been able to observe the changes.

My friend now has the skin of someone in their late 40's and she hardly ever spends time in the sun! I have skin that is far older than my age and people in their late 50's have better skin and tone than me. My face started to drop after Fraxel, I have developed deep jowls and the natural small fat deposits under the eyes were gone after

Fraxel in the area which has left my lower eyes prematurely hollowed and wrinkled, like a 65 year old. We have aged about 15 years with Fraxel. Both of us have deep furrow lines running vertical across our face - in the same direction as the Fraxel head piece was used. Who has wrinkles developing up/down? Wrinkles develop horizontally in direction of laugh lines. Ours go up/down across the cheeks.

Almost three years later these lines are developing into deep wrinkles that get worse each year, 20 years too early. I am DEVASTATED that I ever did Fraxel. This has become a deeper depressing event, the premature loss of my youth for this treatment. I have searched everywhere what I can do to repair my skin. I am afraid to do anymore harsh treatments to my skin and hope stemcell therapy will soon advance to help premature aged skin. I don't know what to do anymore.

Fraxel completely ruined both our skin. I am considering suing Solana, the manufacturer of Fraxel. The manufacturer needs to reimburse people who have been ruined by Fraxel, and help to restore the damage. I don't smoke or drink, and don't stay in the sun and have no reason to have skin like this. The rest of the neck and area that was not treated with Fraxel has youthful skin, only my face is deeply and prematurely aged.

Images removed.

images removed.

A friend and I had Fraxel around 2007. I had...

A friend and I had Fraxel around 2007. I had (very) minor discoloration of the skin and wanted it improved. My friend had hyperpigmentation from an old chemical peel in her teens, which had left her with mildly blotchy skin in one area of the cheek. Both of us ended with very bad skin and premature aging after 3 sessions of Fraxel.

FIRST TREATMENT. After my first treatment, which was excruciatingly painful, I had good results. The skin looked more even toned than before (it was never really bad) and I was pleased with the results. Both of us rescheduled for two more treatments as the doctor said we needed "at least 3". This doctor was a representative for Fraxel. I was quite excited because if it would get better I would basically end with perfect skin - which would be amazing.

After Fraxel you will look like you had a very severe sunburn. The skin will become deeply red, feel hot and painful for at least one to two full days. After about 4-5 days it will look tanned, like a burn victim, and begin to peel. Fraxel is a very painful procedure to go through even when cold and numbing cremes are applied.

After my first session of Fraxel I was not able to see much difference on my friend, but my results were good.

SECOND TREATMENT. After the second treatment I felt more painful and the skin became very red and blotchy and never looked good even after weeks of healing. I had never had broken and blotchy. The pain from this treatment lasted longer as well. A few months later I started seeing wrinkles I had never seen before but we thought it was temporary and that the skin just needed to recover from the harsh laser. The doctor said I had to complete all treatments for the skin to improve.
My friend didn't look much better.

THIRD TREATMENT. After the third treatment, which seemed endlessly excruciating with no amount of local anesthesia helping for pain at at all my skin tone and appearance just begun getting worse. My friend too had a lot of pain and her skin was very raw and red for days. Our skin became so blotchy and uneven I could not recognize it anymore.

The biggest difference after our three treatments came over a year later. One day I was talking to my friend when I noticed that her skin looked truly 'old' for someone only in her mid 30's. I cautiously asked her about her skin, and she told me she felt it had become worse after Fraxel. This was exactly my own observations although I had not told her before. She had never had old looking complexion before. Her complexion was worse than I had ever seen and the skin had signs of serious premature aging she had not had before.

She then told me she had noticed that my skin looked bad and aged after Fraxel but had not wanted to say anything to not hurt me. I then admitted that I had observed the same in her. We had made the exact same observation and because we both did the treatments together we had been able to observe the changes.

My friends complexion looks terrible. You only need a little bit of shadow to see how prematurely aged it looks. In her mid 30's her complexion now looks like someone in their late 40's or even 50's! And she hardly ever spends time in the sun! I have skin that is far older than my age, 'shriveled' skin like a dried raisin with hundreds of small dried lines I never had before that you see in people in their late 50's or even 70's. Most people in their 50's now have better skin than me. Both of us look much older than anyone we know our ages.

Both my friend and I have very severe premature aging signs to our skin and complexion. Because I have a more fuller face than her, my effect was more dramatic. These are the signs that developed after Fraxel that were not there prior to Fraxel, and 5 years following my last treatment have become severe:

-- My face started to drop after Fraxel, like someone in their late 60's.
-- I have developed deep jowls
-- The natural small fat deposits under the eyes are gone
-- I have deep, and many, wrinkles under the eyes I did not have
-- I have enlarged poores
-- I have lines all over my face
-- The area under my eyes are hollow and deeply wrinkled
-- I have very deep vertical lines above and below my lips (like a smoker)
-- My forehead is 'bumpy' wrinkled and uneven.

These changes are not from my lifestyle. I drink very seldom, never done drugs and have never smoked. I am also a vegetarian for the past 15 years. Today, five years post Fraxel, I have the skin of a chain smoker. I have such deep furrows over and around my lips, the sides of my eyes, and the side of my face no one my age looks like this. Its a miserable experience.

My entire life people have told me I look much younger than my age and think I am 15 years younger. Now they add 10+ to my actual age and always think I am older. Not a day goes by that I am not reminded of the damage that Fraxel did to me and I am absolutely miserable. I have not found anything that can reverse the damage of Fraxel.

THIS COMPANY HAS TO PAY COMPENSATION TO PATIENTS WHO HAVE THEIR SKIN RUINED. THEY NEED TO OFFER OPTIONAL HELP FOR US TO GET IT CORRECTED SOMEWHERE ELSE.

I am afraid to do anymore harsh treatments to my skin and hope stem cell therapy will soon advance to help premature aged skin. I don't know what to do anymore.

Fraxel completely ruined both our skin. We both saw the dramatic effect by seeing the changes in each other. Solana, the manufacturer of Fraxel, need to be subject to a class action lawsuit. The manufacturer needs to reimburse people who have been ruined by Fraxel and help to pay for any treatment to restore the damage.

The rest of the neck and area that was not treated with Fraxel has youthful skin, including my neck and my arms. Only my face is deeply and prematurely aged. I am absolutely DEVASTATED by the decision to ever have Fraxel.

The doctor himself is not bad and I am not unhappy over his care. Its Fraxel that is the problem.

As someone who had Fraxel a decade ago at age 30 and knows from unfortunate experience, if you don't use high SPF (40+) sunscreen religiously after Fraxel, your blotchiness/freckles will return and be MUCH worse than before. Assuming you have been using high SPF sunscreen every single day since Fraxel, what you likely experienced was natural aging that occurs in your mid thirties. It can be drastic and almost seem like it happens "overnight" when in truth, its a combination of fat loss in your face (causing jowls and hollow eyes) plus the sun damage inflicted during your teens (suntan or sunburn) finally catching up with you as sun damage takes 10-20 years to surface. Aging sucks. Go to a board certified dermatologist (not a spa) and ask for filler injections for the hollows in your eyes and in your upper cheeks to help raise the jowls - it really works miracles. Get Botox for forehead wrinkles and crows feet. Stop taking birth control pills as the extra hormones will only make blotchiness worse. You can also try Renova (Retin-A), but only if you're committed to using high SPF daily. Learn to love airbrush tans. You CAN get your 28 year old face back, but it takes work - it does for everyone past age 35 (even celebrities). Best of luck.
Hi Lilly, I could relate all too well. But I am now DETERMINED in my heart that the Lord is a healer, will heal/has healed me/us, Isaiah 53:5! I sometimes feel that im being punked by Ashton Kusher, it surreal & so unbelievable how my life just did a 360 & I see my self in the mirror from before & now, I feel like this is a joke & no way is this real, this can not be happening to me. I have tried creams & treatments for repair, still no results. I have exhausted all of my physical options at this point. I have one foundation to depend on. Jesus, the healer, He HAS to do it for me. I believe. The creator, our manufacturer, knows how to repair, replace & restore whatever we need. I have seen so many people testimonies who have had supernatural experiences & come back to testify of a 'body parts room' in heaven. These people have had visions & dreams & supernatural encounters. I believe without a shadow of a doubt that the Lord WILL put new skin on my face. I have been praying & believing for new skin. I know it is available to us. Every single organ & any single substance or matter that our bodies are made up of, the creator can make a new. I claim my new skin & im going to be walking in it im 100% confident in this. Creative Miracles have been performed where they call on the body parts to come down from heaven & they receive a new part, whatever it is that they need. Its available to all of us.
Sorry I am so sad I forget to tell you I am using cream my new doctor he told me takes time like 6 months medicine very expensive but my last hope my insurance doesn't expect because cosmetic cream name is ( AZELEX ACID CREAM %20 ) PRICE : 360$ :( CAN u imagine we went them fix small damage area like I had 5 or 6 acne scars now all over my face has dots and we are trying to fix frexal laser damage and who took my money made me horrible results he is enjoying I am trying to fixes he is damage and still paying money hopefully FDA help us guys DO NOT DO FREXAL LASER
I hope this cream works Lily. Please keep us up to date on your progress. I am going to see ANOTHER doctor today in hopes that he will have seen this before and will be able to at least help with the ugliness.
Thank you i will fill out FDA form hopefully somebody here us please!!!!! I am exactly same crying everyday I wish I never did horrible nightmare I am depress exactly what u have, I have same. I paid a lot of money to fix but can't I don't know what should I do I hate life I was very happy person but now depress . who did to me my face horrible results he is having good time I am crying everyday praying everyday I lost my confidence I hate hat I hate sunscreen I am not working I don't want go out why they did us like this burn us for just money what we did them nothing we trust them we believe them please FDA hear from us !!!!!!!!!! Nightmare doctor he told me he will fix he did twice peel and them more worse he took me advantage he took more money but results more worst he took my life and my future dream I don't want kids anymore I was how I am going to take my kids to school or anywhere I can not enjoy with her on the beach because sun I am now look 40 I am 30 now please somebody hear us FDA I am begging you help who had damage from frexal laser good luck guys
I also have experienced damage caused by Fraxel. I've looked on this site since Jan. 2013 to read other stories. Today I called the FDA to at least report the damage I have from the Fraxel treatment I received in Oct. 2012. I was treated with respect, the woman listened while I explained my various skin damage. She will be emailing me to finish the report. She even gave me her name and direct number. She urged me to tell others to REPORT TO THE FDA so they will investigate the claims. I feel like there hasn't been a lot I can do to change what has happened or to stop the use of this Lazer. But she gave me hope that if enough reports are filed they will investigate it. So please take a few minutes to file a report! You can google the FDA, US Food and Drug Administration. Then go to Consumer Complaint Coordinators, each State has it's own number. Again, she urged us to call! She was an investigator herself, so maybe she will follow up. God Bless! Karyn
has anyone been able to find something to treat their laser damage?
All Laser procedures are extremely risky. Doesn't matter if a "doctor" performs them. Anyone who says their not is either lying or they do not know what their doing. Unfortunately many folks go by what the "doctor" says as gospel and don't go out and do their homework. The "doctor" knows best right? Unfortunately when damage does occur and you go looking for answers you find out all the risks the "doctor" or laser tech did not tell you about. It's shameful and immoral. And it will come back on them.
I had 3 fraxel procedures when I turned 3o to help with acne scarring and uneven skin and I have to say it worked wonders. I believe it has to do with the setting and the doctor. Sorry you all had a bad experience. This is one of the only sites with bad reviews I hear glowing reviews from others. I think your lawsuit will fall on deaf ears as well since you signed away 900 pages of "do at your own risk" forms. Either way I am sorry you feel that way. try using Retin A Micro to help with even skin tones.. Good Luck and I hope you feel better.
I had a scar on my chin from a car accident and had several Fraxel Treatments from a licensed Aesthetician who I am friends with, You would never notice it even if I pointed it out. It took a couple times, but it has been over a year and the scar is near flawless....What was the name of the Fraxel Machine. I did not do the real invasive, but moderate and did about 6 sessions.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Hi I'm in Australia does it matter?
Yes it does matter. The psychological damage the individuals who experienced the damage is enormous.
I agree it's has destroyed my soul.
Thanks Pants. I will send you an email. I believe that the majority of my facial damage was caused by the "Doctor" who used the machine as I have read reviews (before they were all suspiciously removed) about other patients having their faces left scarred, burned and discolored at the same office. I have been in touch with lawyers in Arizona and am moving forward (for a multitude of other reasons, aside from fraxel damage). Would I still be able to join in your class action suit? I'll send you an email and we can go from there. I also believe that the machines, in the wrong hands, can cause a lot of damage. A huge part of my lip was burned right off and all that remains in noticeable and devastating scarring! I would never recommend this treatment to anyone - especially not at the office in Arizona I went too...nightmare!
I took my case to the small claims tribunal to request a refund. They then said it wasn't a consumer case but a serious personal injury case. They made an order to have it transferred to the magistrates court to be heard in the jurisdiction of personal injury. It cost me 101 dollars to lodge to small claims tribunal (Australia). The perform who did (who refused to refund or fix) has now had to hand it over to her insurance company. So I should now be getting more than just a refund for the damages. These people , who negligently do these procedures, often when they are not even suitable for the patient's skin. I have read that many who say they had good skin before the treatment. So in most cases there was nothing to fix, hence burnt, damaged and scarred skin as a result. It's more than negligence, it's GBH and they should be charged in my opinion
Well said Blossoms. Their doing this stuff to men too. I'm one of them. I traded a few broken capillaries on my face for lines, dents, wrinkles and more broken caps. All I can say is wow. These people need to be held responsible for stuff like this. After doing a little bit of digging it seems that most people should be turned away from these laser procedures. This stuff is actually very nasty. Anyway I found a website with a doctor who comes right out and explains the risks and negative side effects of lasers. It's a big risk but more risky for certain ethnicities, skin types, etc. Heres the website: Naimion.com I sent them an email but have not received a response yet. Hope this helps. If anyone does get in contact with this doctor please do pass it on. I'll do the same. Take care. Talk soon.
I agree, Blossoms, it is more than just negligence - it should be considered criminal and unethical. I also had nothing to fix and this treatment was recommended/suggested during my consultation and I feel I was given some very misleading information and to be honest, I feel I was flat out lied to (about many things more than just this "minimally invasive treatment" that takes approx 2 weeks to heal - yes, I was actually told that). I have recently been in touch with lawyers, expert doctor witness, medial outlets and other patients who have suffered the same fate as I have at the hands of the "doctors" who performed this on me. Thankfully the statute of limitations is still on my side. Something new that came about that I am considering moving forward with is starting a petition, this may be something you may want to look in to as well. Make sure you speak to a lawyer for assistance along the way. You would be surprised with who many people you will come into contact with who have experienced a similar, and very negative experience, with the Doctor like you have and who are willing to speak out about it. Let us know how it goes for you, I wish you the best of luck and hope your face can be fixed...sadly mine is damaged and scarred beyond repair!
Lets see if we can file a class action law suit on these laser companies. I am tired of suffering & being depressed without being compensated while these aestheticians & doctors continue to enjoy life with no repurcussions for what they are doing to our lives.
I'm with you all the way Philly. I've read and been told it's a tough uphill battle though. But I'd love to go after those greedy nasty pricks.
I'd be interested in that.
This is true. From inception of a lot of the procedures are not only standards that are below European requirements but lackluster human trials. It's after they do procedures like chemical peels and lasers that they find out people can have heart complications, excessive sensitivity to the light, environmental exposures that can actually retard skin cell growth, aftercare products that cause extra damage, etc. They have a fragile centerpiece of human interaction they're involved with and they just shruggingly perform these with possibly 100s of thousands if not millions of complications.
Ok good. I am interviewing now with attornies who specializes in these laser damage cases. They are very knowledgeable & recognize the damage these devices are causing. I have informed them there are a slew of ppl on these threads that may be interested in pursuing compensation & justice. They also have board certified surgeon on their team who is familiar with these cases & the damages they have caused. I feel like they are a god sent. I will continue researching so we can move this thing forward. I will keep you posted on the progress & the protocol as I learn within these next few days/weeks.
Great! I'm in Sacramento, CA and had 3 out of 5 Fraxel treatments. I refused the last two! I have wrinkles and grid marks all over my face. I look 10+ years older and now have jowels where I never had them! Please post the attorney info and I will gladly join a class action suit against Fraxel.
Fraxel also ruined my face and skin. I used to have beautiful skin and was told it would even out my skin tone and can remove sun damage (I had lived in a warm/sunny State). I look at pictures my self pre/post fraxel and I look like I have aged 15+ years. I now have scarring around my lips, deep red discoloration around my nose that runs down my laugh lines and blotchy forehead, cheeks and upper lip (I look like I have a permanent shadow mustache). I had it done in my early 30's and regret it tremendously. In my opinion, the Doctor who performed the fraxel on me may have set the settings to high because this is NOT normal!