Fraxel Ruined my Skin, Should Be Banned by FDA

A friend and I made appointment for Fraxel to...

A friend and I made appointment for Fraxel to clear some very minor discoloration of the skin and as pre-treatment for minor fine lines in very early stages. My friend had hyperpigmentation from an old chemical peel in her teens, which had left her with mildly blotchy skin in one area of the cheek.

After my first treatment, which was excruciatingly painful, I had good results. The skin looked more even toned than before (it was never really bad) and I was pleased with the results. Both of us rescheduled for two more treatments as the doctor said we needed "at least 3". This doctor was one of the main researchers for Fraxel. I was quite excited because if it would get better I would basically end with perfect skin - which would be amazing.

I was not able to see much difference on my friend, but my results were good. The second treatment felt even more painful and the skin never looked good even after weeks of healing. In fact, it looked something it never had: broken out and blotchy. The pain from this treatment lasts an entire day.

The skin will become deeply red and tanned, like a burn victim, and become hot and pulsating with pain for at least one to two full days. Gradually over about 7-10 days the burn appearance will go away and will peel. I spoke with other patients in the waiting room and everyone described it as extremely painful.

The reviews on here claiming it to be painfree are absolutely NOT real; clearly they are posted by the manufacturer. Its impossible to call Fraxel pain free. After the second treatment the skin became even more blotchy red and uneven. I started seeing wrinkles I had never seen before but we thought it was temporary and that the skin just needed to recover from the harsh laser. The doctor said I had to complete all treatments for it to improve.

After the third treatment, which seemed endlessly excruciating with no amount of local anesthesia helping for pain at at all my skin tone and appearance just begun getting worse with a huge increase of visible wrinkles.

A year after the last treatment I was casually talking with my friend and noticed that her skin looked 'old' for the first time; she was only in her mid 30's. Her complexion was worse than I had ever seen and the skin had signs of serious premature aging she had not had before.

I carefully asked her about her skin, and she said she felt it had become worse after Fraxel and had noticed that my skin looked worse than it ever had but had not wanted to say anything to not hurt me. We had made the exact same observation and because we both did the treatments together we had been able to observe the changes.

My friend now has the skin of someone in their late 40's and she hardly ever spends time in the sun! I have skin that is far older than my age and people in their late 50's have better skin and tone than me. My face started to drop after Fraxel, I have developed deep jowls and the natural small fat deposits under the eyes were gone after

Fraxel in the area which has left my lower eyes prematurely hollowed and wrinkled, like a 65 year old. We have aged about 15 years with Fraxel. Both of us have deep furrow lines running vertical across our face - in the same direction as the Fraxel head piece was used. Who has wrinkles developing up/down? Wrinkles develop horizontally in direction of laugh lines. Ours go up/down across the cheeks.

Almost three years later these lines are developing into deep wrinkles that get worse each year, 20 years too early. I am DEVASTATED that I ever did Fraxel. This has become a deeper depressing event, the premature loss of my youth for this treatment. I have searched everywhere what I can do to repair my skin. I am afraid to do anymore harsh treatments to my skin and hope stemcell therapy will soon advance to help premature aged skin. I don't know what to do anymore.

Fraxel completely ruined both our skin. I am considering suing Solana, the manufacturer of Fraxel. The manufacturer needs to reimburse people who have been ruined by Fraxel, and help to restore the damage. I don't smoke or drink, and don't stay in the sun and have no reason to have skin like this. The rest of the neck and area that was not treated with Fraxel has youthful skin, only my face is deeply and prematurely aged.

Images removed.

images removed.

A friend and I had Fraxel around 2007. I had...

A friend and I had Fraxel around 2007. I had (very) minor discoloration of the skin and wanted it improved. My friend had hyperpigmentation from an old chemical peel in her teens, which had left her with mildly blotchy skin in one area of the cheek. Both of us ended with very bad skin and premature aging after 3 sessions of Fraxel.

FIRST TREATMENT. After my first treatment, which was excruciatingly painful, I had good results. The skin looked more even toned than before (it was never really bad) and I was pleased with the results. Both of us rescheduled for two more treatments as the doctor said we needed "at least 3". This doctor was a representative for Fraxel. I was quite excited because if it would get better I would basically end with perfect skin - which would be amazing.

After Fraxel you will look like you had a very severe sunburn. The skin will become deeply red, feel hot and painful for at least one to two full days. After about 4-5 days it will look tanned, like a burn victim, and begin to peel. Fraxel is a very painful procedure to go through even when cold and numbing cremes are applied.

After my first session of Fraxel I was not able to see much difference on my friend, but my results were good.

SECOND TREATMENT. After the second treatment I felt more painful and the skin became very red and blotchy and never looked good even after weeks of healing. I had never had broken and blotchy. The pain from this treatment lasted longer as well. A few months later I started seeing wrinkles I had never seen before but we thought it was temporary and that the skin just needed to recover from the harsh laser. The doctor said I had to complete all treatments for the skin to improve.
My friend didn't look much better.

THIRD TREATMENT. After the third treatment, which seemed endlessly excruciating with no amount of local anesthesia helping for pain at at all my skin tone and appearance just begun getting worse. My friend too had a lot of pain and her skin was very raw and red for days. Our skin became so blotchy and uneven I could not recognize it anymore.

The biggest difference after our three treatments came over a year later. One day I was talking to my friend when I noticed that her skin looked truly 'old' for someone only in her mid 30's. I cautiously asked her about her skin, and she told me she felt it had become worse after Fraxel. This was exactly my own observations although I had not told her before. She had never had old looking complexion before. Her complexion was worse than I had ever seen and the skin had signs of serious premature aging she had not had before.

She then told me she had noticed that my skin looked bad and aged after Fraxel but had not wanted to say anything to not hurt me. I then admitted that I had observed the same in her. We had made the exact same observation and because we both did the treatments together we had been able to observe the changes.

My friends complexion looks terrible. You only need a little bit of shadow to see how prematurely aged it looks. In her mid 30's her complexion now looks like someone in their late 40's or even 50's! And she hardly ever spends time in the sun! I have skin that is far older than my age, 'shriveled' skin like a dried raisin with hundreds of small dried lines I never had before that you see in people in their late 50's or even 70's. Most people in their 50's now have better skin than me. Both of us look much older than anyone we know our ages.

Both my friend and I have very severe premature aging signs to our skin and complexion. Because I have a more fuller face than her, my effect was more dramatic. These are the signs that developed after Fraxel that were not there prior to Fraxel, and 5 years following my last treatment have become severe:

-- My face started to drop after Fraxel, like someone in their late 60's.
-- I have developed deep jowls
-- The natural small fat deposits under the eyes are gone
-- I have deep, and many, wrinkles under the eyes I did not have
-- I have enlarged poores
-- I have lines all over my face
-- The area under my eyes are hollow and deeply wrinkled
-- I have very deep vertical lines above and below my lips (like a smoker)
-- My forehead is 'bumpy' wrinkled and uneven.

These changes are not from my lifestyle. I drink very seldom, never done drugs and have never smoked. I am also a vegetarian for the past 15 years. Today, five years post Fraxel, I have the skin of a chain smoker. I have such deep furrows over and around my lips, the sides of my eyes, and the side of my face no one my age looks like this. Its a miserable experience.

My entire life people have told me I look much younger than my age and think I am 15 years younger. Now they add 10+ to my actual age and always think I am older. Not a day goes by that I am not reminded of the damage that Fraxel did to me and I am absolutely miserable. I have not found anything that can reverse the damage of Fraxel.

THIS COMPANY HAS TO PAY COMPENSATION TO PATIENTS WHO HAVE THEIR SKIN RUINED. THEY NEED TO OFFER OPTIONAL HELP FOR US TO GET IT CORRECTED SOMEWHERE ELSE.

I am afraid to do anymore harsh treatments to my skin and hope stem cell therapy will soon advance to help premature aged skin. I don't know what to do anymore.

Fraxel completely ruined both our skin. We both saw the dramatic effect by seeing the changes in each other. Solana, the manufacturer of Fraxel, need to be subject to a class action lawsuit. The manufacturer needs to reimburse people who have been ruined by Fraxel and help to pay for any treatment to restore the damage.

The rest of the neck and area that was not treated with Fraxel has youthful skin, including my neck and my arms. Only my face is deeply and prematurely aged. I am absolutely DEVASTATED by the decision to ever have Fraxel.

The doctor himself is not bad and I am not unhappy over his care. Its Fraxel that is the problem.

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Hi I'm in Australia does it matter?
Yes it does matter. The psychological damage the individuals who experienced the damage is enormous.
I agree it's has destroyed my soul.
Thanks Pants. I will send you an email. I believe that the majority of my facial damage was caused by the "Doctor" who used the machine as I have read reviews (before they were all suspiciously removed) about other patients having their faces left scarred, burned and discolored at the same office. I have been in touch with lawyers in Arizona and am moving forward (for a multitude of other reasons, aside from fraxel damage). Would I still be able to join in your class action suit? I'll send you an email and we can go from there. I also believe that the machines, in the wrong hands, can cause a lot of damage. A huge part of my lip was burned right off and all that remains in noticeable and devastating scarring! I would never recommend this treatment to anyone - especially not at the office in Arizona I went too...nightmare!
I took my case to the small claims tribunal to request a refund. They then said it wasn't a consumer case but a serious personal injury case. They made an order to have it transferred to the magistrates court to be heard in the jurisdiction of personal injury. It cost me 101 dollars to lodge to small claims tribunal (Australia). The perform who did (who refused to refund or fix) has now had to hand it over to her insurance company. So I should now be getting more than just a refund for the damages. These people , who negligently do these procedures, often when they are not even suitable for the patient's skin. I have read that many who say they had good skin before the treatment. So in most cases there was nothing to fix, hence burnt, damaged and scarred skin as a result. It's more than negligence, it's GBH and they should be charged in my opinion
Well said Blossoms. Their doing this stuff to men too. I'm one of them. I traded a few broken capillaries on my face for lines, dents, wrinkles and more broken caps. All I can say is wow. These people need to be held responsible for stuff like this. After doing a little bit of digging it seems that most people should be turned away from these laser procedures. This stuff is actually very nasty. Anyway I found a website with a doctor who comes right out and explains the risks and negative side effects of lasers. It's a big risk but more risky for certain ethnicities, skin types, etc. Heres the website: Naimion.com I sent them an email but have not received a response yet. Hope this helps. If anyone does get in contact with this doctor please do pass it on. I'll do the same. Take care. Talk soon.
I agree, Blossoms, it is more than just negligence - it should be considered criminal and unethical. I also had nothing to fix and this treatment was recommended/suggested during my consultation and I feel I was given some very misleading information and to be honest, I feel I was flat out lied to (about many things more than just this "minimally invasive treatment" that takes approx 2 weeks to heal - yes, I was actually told that). I have recently been in touch with lawyers, expert doctor witness, medial outlets and other patients who have suffered the same fate as I have at the hands of the "doctors" who performed this on me. Thankfully the statute of limitations is still on my side. Something new that came about that I am considering moving forward with is starting a petition, this may be something you may want to look in to as well. Make sure you speak to a lawyer for assistance along the way. You would be surprised with who many people you will come into contact with who have experienced a similar, and very negative experience, with the Doctor like you have and who are willing to speak out about it. Let us know how it goes for you, I wish you the best of luck and hope your face can be fixed...sadly mine is damaged and scarred beyond repair!
Fraxel also ruined my face and skin. I used to have beautiful skin and was told it would even out my skin tone and can remove sun damage (I had lived in a warm/sunny State). I look at pictures my self pre/post fraxel and I look like I have aged 15+ years. I now have scarring around my lips, deep red discoloration around my nose that runs down my laugh lines and blotchy forehead, cheeks and upper lip (I look like I have a permanent shadow mustache). I had it done in my early 30's and regret it tremendously. In my opinion, the Doctor who performed the fraxel on me may have set the settings to high because this is NOT normal!
Hi yes my skin was wrecked by settings too high. I just don't get how they can go blasting good skin on those settings and expect a good result. A moisturiser with glycolic acid 5 percent had worked well for me. As soon as you see that it is flaking a little you stop it exfoliate and then feed the skin with a nourishing serum. Then return to the glycolic and repeat.
I too believe he had my settings to high... I too have aged dramatically. Suck it up baby x
I absolutely agree that these doctors, PAs, Medspas etc should be charged with a crime if they damage someone's face. Or at least sit them in the chair and perform the same procedure on their face. Lol Nuff said
It sometimes takes the tragic hurt from man-made ingenuities to realize the healing powers of nature in the moment of injuries. Most of the chemical Elixirs that the cosmetologist and dermatologist formulate comes straight from nature that causes harm. Everything is in its rightful place and can prove to be a powerful healing agent when embraced fully.
I totally agree. The psychological trauma is enormous. Life ruining
I couldn't agree more! I feel my life has been ruined, my confidence robbed from me and I deal with extensive pain daily due to this. The physical, psychological and emotional pain and trauma is very real and very damaging. It can absolutely rob a once very happy, active and successful person of their life. These Doctors perform these procedures and use the statement that with their help you can "gain more confidence than you ever had" but they'll never admit that they can "rob you of all confidence and your entire life" ... it's quite alarming and very sad. There are many honest doctors who will perform these procedures only on those who need it and would never recommend them to people who don't but if you're like me, and feel you ended up in the wrong hands (the worst possible in my case) you could end up severely damaged.
It shouldn't be even used in healthy skin but rarely they even offer spot treatment I initially wanted just my cheeks done but was told " it's really better to do the whole face". Now instead of damage only on my cheeks it's everywhere and I think that's partially the reason they want to do whole face, texture changes are harder to prove when there is no clear cut line between untreated and treated skin. One person had it done on area she didn't want to treat and doctor said too late now we have to blend it in. Why? Because the texture will change for worse and they want to cover they own arses. When you complain the simply call it ageing or large pores. It's disgusting. My life has been in complete standstill almost two years. I have pitted face from lasers , so many pits you cannot even count. Acne was a lot kinder to me that laser, it fries your face.
That is what I was told... colour balance yadda yadda. Better to do entire face or you'll look mismatched for months
I cant fully express how these procedures ruin typically mild concerns. Fraxel works wonders for those with deep cut-like scars and discoloration I have noticed, however for those with normal oil fat & sweat glands, pores that receive adequate pain, typically smooth from birth skin it is not beneficial to endure this procedure there are no exceptions to this. there are lighter procedures to take, there are even light peels you can do that will not be as invasive, key term light. TCA, high Lactic and phenol. There has been countless...countless bad results from this product, the Doctors and the manufacturers should be held for crimes against humanity, these complications are well documented. They are NOT for minor issues!
TCA, PHENOL etc...not light^
Not sure who you are, but TCA and Phenol peels are not light.
I agree with you. I had good skin at 39 and was told it would improve it. We'll it's a mess now
Did you have fraxel or a peel?
I meant not light.
I used to think certain things in medicine from doctors to dermatologist were accidental. If they mess up we're taught to think oh it's just misunderstandings. They continue these practices in full awareness of what it can do. Any excessive skin altering technique should first undergo a skin thickness and durability assessment. Doctors cannot just look at skin an think it'll be fine. They also should test for how the skin can heal after an Injury to make the appropriate choices. It's just lackluster how they can induce a procedure without careful observation.
Light peels like aha.