Destroyed my Skin!

My first Fraxel must have been set at a low...

My first Fraxel must have been set at a low setting, and I was happy with the results. The second Fraxel must've been set quite a bit higher, was VERY painful and I swelled up immediately causing me much concern. I thought my skin was going to burst! The second Fraxel destroyed the surface texture and muscle tone under my skin, and I look older than when I went in! When I brought pictures back to prove it, the Dr. questioned when the photo were taken (they were taken one week before.) The second Fraxel created a nasolabial fold I didn't have before, created new wrinkles and crepiness around my mouth (especially on my upper lip,) and drooped my cheeks creating jowls (a friend told me it looked like I had a stroke!) I think even my pores looked worse--the crepiness making them look like little "slits." I have no idea how I can repair this damage. Another dermatologist suggested another Fraxel (NO!) Has anyone else had this happen? Suggestions for repair much appreciated!

dinadd don't do fraxel please! I am 34 too and had great skin except for minor barely noticeable scaring. I am now 8 weeks post procedure and my skin has the orange peel texture and fine lines lines a lot of people are noticing. I am devastated...I only had one procedure and went to the top laser specialist in the country, nevertheless I have had bad results...not worth the risk.... if someone who has suffered similar damage could give me advice on what to do...supplements to take, products to use? I saw my Dr who told me that things will improve with time...I am doubtful...please help I am desperate and cry all the time...I keep blaming myself for my vanity and for ruining my great skin....
I too got the orange peel holes in my face where it used to be pristine and smooth!
Katerina, when did you have your fraxel? how is your skin now? what products are you using? I am so upset about this bad outcome :(
plus wat kind of fraxel ?!!! who was the doc ?!!
im getting dual fraxel laser done soon i read good reviews the bad reviews the never have pictures or details like did you go to an experienced surgeon how much did you pay was it a real fraxel laser machine ????
It wasnt a surgeon. It was a doctor that did my fraxel laser and yes it was a real fraxel machine. I dont remember my excat total but it was expensive it was either i spent 1,800 for each treament or it was 1,800 for the 2 treaments i had. The doctor was in nebraska. Hope that helps
I havent updated in a long time but things have gotten worse again i have ongoing inflammation, my face is burning and itches all of the time. Wanted just update since its been awhile
My burning stopped after a procedure called "stem cell enriched fat grafting" was done with a machine called Puregraft by Cytori. I was in your same position and this procedure was done by Dr. Steven Cohen, La Jolla, CA. It helped heal the burning, stopped the itching, and added the fat that was melted off my face...simply amazing and a miracle. This procedure worked best for me when an "entire layer of fat" was put everywhere the laser had gone...There is hope. Thank you.
The only thing that healed my Fraxel damage done by the laser guru of LaJolla was a cell-enriched fat graft procedure done by Dr. Steven Cohen in LaJolla, CA. No more burning, no more jaw pain and no more hollowness. Dr. Cohen is a Castle Connelly Doctor...top 2% in plastic surgery. Extremely intelligent and conservative in his treatments. He save my life!
Leah,

The same thing happened to me. I had 2 treatments & now 1.5 years later my skin is so dry, I have all these little fine lines which are bunching together when I smile so my face looks like crepe paper >.< There has to be a way to make this better does anyone know? Also I swear it actually made some of my little scars kinda cave in. I have lots of lines under my eyes now which is never had and my skin is so thin.
Hi I also have had a very bad experience with Fraxel. I had some acne scaring mostly on my cheeks, nothing to severe but enough to bother me. I a full face and then about 8 months later a half face. Both were not on very high settings. I was pleased with the results and saw some decent improvement. I went back for a third full face treatment about 6 month after the second. It was a new machine, I absolutely killed almost to the point where i could go on and I can deal with pain well. It was far more painful than the first 2 times. I was totally swollen and unrecognisable for about 8 days. After the swelling went down and to this day, almost 2 years later i have the pattern of the fraxel laser on my skin. It has diminished over time but it is still there. Its almost like it made all these new little pores or divits in the surface of my skin. In certain light or at certain angels i can see them. I believe that they are tiny little scars left by the machine. I went back to the doctor, whom by the way is supposed to be one of the best and he said that this is not common but that he has heard of it. He then took pictures to show at a fraxel conference but offered my no solution or reimbursement. Has anyone else experienced this change in the surface texture/scarring of your skin? The other thing that was terrible is directly after i healed and have had ever since is my skin on my chin directly below my lower lips is all crepe with fine thin lines like it no longer has any structure. Not good. Im glad I found this site as i thought it was just me and i was going crazy.
LeahBmad

I'm so sorry for your experience. Sadly, it is happening to a small percentage of us. I found Realself when I googled "Fraxel ruined my skin." Until then I had believed all the marketing hype.

I too had a dermatologist take pictures to show at a conference. I emailed her a couple of months later about their response......"no one could see the pattern I thouht I saw." It is bad enough this happened but I truly wanted to know WHY it happened. Not knowing as caused me to fear everything including products. I have heard from others that peels improved their skin. I would like to try those in the fall. In addition, I have been told the pattern will fade "in time". I certainly hope that is the case but after two years, I am becoming more and more doubtful.
Leah, I experimented the same thing after only one fraxel procedure orange peel texture with dots/track lines in treated areas...my dr said i was the first to experience that and did not do anything about it just told me to wait and see...i am now 9 weeks post procedure and my skin is improving a little so fingers crossed...this fraxel is really a nightmare!!!
I had Fraxel Restor. The result on my face was very good but the skin at my collar bone was destroyed on one side with a permanent scarred area about 8 inches wide.
It is an ugly white scar with no skin color. People gasp and say, "Oh, how were you
burned?" I thank God it wasn't my face because I couldn't not have lived with that
type of destruction. The dermatologist never even apologized. He just smiled and
said, "We now know that the setting I used on you is too high for the neck area."
Has anyone successfully sued for being scared? I would appreciate hearing
from anyone who has,as well as a referral to an attorney in the Orange County, Ca. area. mvnews1@yahoo.com. My name is Mary Ann. Thank you.
Oh my goodness, seeing these pics from fraxel reviews look like my skin and others who had ipl/photofacials. It is insane how this is being marketed by practioners without listing realistic side effects on the consent forms, and then absolutely denying damage. This must be post skin across the board with all forms of lasers and ipls, regardless of machines, regardless of sessions, regardless of fitzpatrick scales. This is so scary, and now I see more and more advertisements for this stuff everywhere!
I agree...the only risk mentioned to me was hyper pigmentation in case of unprotected sun exposure...no orange peel texture, lines...my dr said I was the first one to report that...went to 2 more to get another opinion and they said the same. They all do fraxel on a regular basis for many years so I don't believe I am the first and only person with damage and side effects!
We were.using Fraxel to correct it back n forth. Motion correct with vitamins and accutane..my first Laser waa ok next year terrible. I'm out 7 yrs or 8 the original laser scared Roy.d circles
Bea4me

How far out are you? How many treatments did you do?
You're the best FSRB... xoxo HAPPY EASTER AND LOTS OF HUGS TO YOU...
I just can't believe there were no regulations on these lasers. I'm ruined. I look hollow, crepiness, white spots and all older than my friends.
My fraxel was done 3.5 years ago which damaged my skin. After 3.5 years, my skin finally looks better after trying to get it back to normal. ive been taking vitamins for skin, used tretoin for past few years, vitamin C serum from dermatologist (Obagi)and a lot of Avon products. Avon Anew skin line is awesome! Also had to have hyaluronic acid injected under my skin to plump up the areas where the fraxel was very agressive and left indents in my face. I finally look better. I will never do Fraxel again.
My skin looks like yours and Jaylyn's!!
does anyone have pictures? i am curious to see the damage on others . Has anyone tried sculptra?
Finee - I am also considering a lift after fraxel damage. Did your surgeon that did your lift notice that your skin was damaged? I hesitate because I am afraid my skin won't be able to handle a lift.
Thanks so much!! Happy you are doing better!!