Awful ... and Now I Have ACNE

I was excited about making the commitment to do...

I was excited about making the commitment to do this series (5 treatments, 4K) with a leading dermatologist in Houston who specializes in this kind of treatment. Not only was it much more painful than I had anticipated (and I have a high pain tolerance!), the swelling was so bad that it affected my vision for a couple of days (swelling beneath my eyes) and overall, I was not fit to see another human being for 6 days. About 4 days into it the breakouts started - acne like I've never experienced ... tiny white pustules that are still a problem 3 months later. I'm afraid I will be on antibiotics the rest of my life and I'm not happy about it. The derm refunded $3K of the $4K I paid; was unsympathetic and wouldn't do anything to contact Fraxel or find out if others had this experience with the breakouts (and what should be done). I am 42 and have had a series of photo-facial treatments 3 years ago with none of these issues and my skin looked much better afterwards - though I would need to repeat the process and Fraxel seemed to be a much more "permanent" solution. My guess is that more people have problems with this than they let on and certainly the "no down time" is a joke!

Thanks for posting your review. I am researching doctors and would like to stay away from the one you used. Can you please message me with the name of the doctor you used. Thank you for helping!
Who was the doctor who did this to you? I live in houston and im currently looking for a doctor who knows what they are doing when it comes to useing the fraxel.
Can you say which Dr you went to? I am considering this and live in Houston. Editor note: you must join RealSelf so you can be contacted privately with doctor recommendations and feedback. This requires free registration for an account. When registering you must opt-in to receiving private contacts (a check box).
I just completed the first fraxel treatment, and I agree it is extremely painful. However, I have already noticed results with the first treatment. I have severe acne scars, and have endured 2 dermabrasions. Fraxel has nothing on dermabrasions in terms of pain, downtime, swelling, scabbing, redness, and loss of pigmentation. I wish they had this available years ago, before I invested in dermabrasion. Fraxel is worth it!
Hi. I am thinking about getting the full fraxel treatment. I also have acne scars that dermabrasion helped, but not as much as I would like. Which kind of scars to you have and have you had additional treatments since your above email. And if so, are you having even better results than expected from the additional treatments.