Bad Reaction to Laser

I had a laser genesis procedure done last week. I...

I had a laser genesis procedure done last week. I had a bad reaction. Looked like a red, raised, bumpy rash everywhere on my face. The rash came after 24 hours. It got worse for two days. Some turned into pimples. I was told it could be folliculitus.

The pros - I really felt my skin looked five years younger after. Tighter. Smoother.

Cons - terrible, ugly, bumpy rash all over my face. I don't think this is common. A lot of my friends did this procedure and had NO problems.

Is anyone ever allergic to laser? It seems like an allergic reaction. I have had the same reaction when I have done laser hair removal. However, with the hair removal, it can be avoided if a very low heat is used. I want to do the procedure again -because truth is, after the terrible rash cleared up 5 days later, my skin looked amazing. Any thoughts? Can I pretreat? Benadryl did not seem to help.

Very knowledgeable

I have foliculitus, I get it on my legs. It is not an allergic reaction, benedryl will not help. It's an irritation of the hair follicle, and you need to be careful to not irritate it/touch it any further & keep it clean or it can get infected - basically, zits. It's hard because it can become itchy. Over the counter hydrocortisone cream can help a little, and there are prescriptive creams but they aren't good for the face (at least the ones I know - I'm not a doctor). Any sufferers of folliculitus should speak with your dermatologist prior to your next session and ask about possible symptom relief as well as any possible negative effects from the creams; you need to be super-careful about what you put on your face when you're that sensitive.

I had a reaction too but it goes away after a few days. I get it everytime I do the laser genesis treatment. And I've only done two. They mostly appear on some parts of my forehead. I believe the genesis is a good procedure but it takes about 4 weeks to see results after each treatment. Also depends on age.

Can any body know how he burned me,how do I get id of the scars
Got the Titan laser on 23 Dec got couple of burns, now the doctor wants to treat the are with genesis,but I don't want him to burn me again. What it will be a safe numbers for him to use?
how long was it? are you wearing spf 25+ daily that has titanium dioxide & zinc oxide in it? the marks are they red or brown? what other products are you using?
Hi, sorry it's been so long and thankyou for responding. I am med to fair skinned with lots of red and sun damage spots on my face. The marks are under my eyes and next to to my nose in what seems like a rectangular pattern but they are depressed rather than raised, like scars. I had skinceuticals eye balm on under the entire eye area when I went for my appt ( limelight was not planned) and I had been using skinceuticals b5 hydrating gel for weeks. They had me wash my face but very possibly I didn't get it all off. I do remember seeing red marks on my cheeks. They did not use any pretreatment.
kjm I would have to see a pic. usually the burn will happen immediately.it will be red, possibly raised (rectangular bar marks) and then depending on the burn, they may scab over.
if you are just now having a "reaction" you might have some post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. again, without seeing the area, i don't know.
what area was treated with limelight? where are the marks? when exactly did they start? was this your first treatment? what ethnicity are you? what color is your skin?
did you have the fraxel and limelight done at same time? did the provider pre & post treat your skin? if so, with what?
sorry for the questions, but this may help me to hep you~
I have been treating with this laser for 9 years. Although it's hard to tell from the photo - it looks more like a heat rash...I have found that clients with reactive skin do much better with lower energy settings (such as 14 j/cm2) and more of them - we typically do 20,000 pulses per treatment. If you had high energy and low pulses, ask them to decrease energy and increase output of # of pulses. If they lower their speed (hertz) as well - it will take longer for the same area to heat up. LG is definitely the way to go for smooth skin.
Laser genesis is a laser that helps to stimulate collagen, diffuse redness...in some instances it does improve pore size, but also will improve texture. usually you will be pink afterwards - anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour. I usually am pink for about 30 minutes. You have a nice glow afterwards and you skin feels tight. I have been doing LG for over 4 years and I have never had anyone react and have bums afterward. What all did they put on your skin when you had the treatment, before and after? Sometime if you heat up the skin and then put a petroleum based product afterwards, it irritates the skin and cause small red & white breakouts...I dont use these types of products but I know some places that do. One place my friend works uses it after resurfacing & most people get this reaction. Laser genesis is NOT resurfacing the skin, so I am unsure why they would put this, unless they are trying to use something to calm the redness? Fraxel is a resurfacing treatment..it is a skin peel done by laser. You can go light as a microderm or much deeper to take away deep scaring or wrinkles. Depepnding on how aggressive they are will depend on how many days you peel - also if you have been pre treated properly with any prep products and the health of your skin. Hope this helps~
hi,since you are familiar with lasers, could you tell me what burns or scars from the limelight laser might look like? I had a treatment done 4 weeks ago and am now seeing purple marks depressed marks on my face that I know were not there before. I also had fraxel restore done on my forehead and it looks like it dimpled my skin above my eyebrows. I looked scarred. dont know what happended or what to do. would appreciate any info

re: kjm, Reveal girl asked similar questions that come to my mind. We would not be able to fully help you without seeing photos, and having perhaps a little more information. It would be necessary to know if there was any underlying damage that Limelight could have surfaced with a skin cycle, etc. The time line you describe is about the time of a full skin cycle. I too agree that it is most likely not a burn, since you would see the results of a burn in a pattern Reveal described shaped like a 1x3cm rectangle.

re: Rebecca - Laser Genesis is a non-ablative resurfacing treatment, but with no down time. Results are dependent on settings used, condition of the skin, frequency of treatments and the number of pulses delivered per session. If I meet a patient that has had Laser Genesis in the past and did not see results, we try to figure out the variables. There are places that do not put the work into treatments. We do not use under 20,000 pulses per treatment. In the last 9-10 years, I have never experienced clinically efficiacy with anything less. I also use an off label recommendation in settings. All laser genesis clients at our facility receive complimentary aesthetic services so that we ensure all layers are addressed and work syngerstically. Another area of concern would be systemic issues. If you diet is not great, full of sugar (or other issues such as medication, hormones) then you could use a laser all day long and see no or very little change. We strongly recommend the use of Prosynbiotic as well as grape seed extract, 300mg to ensure balance systemically. Fraxel is ablative resurfacing and you can and should expect some swelling and what is otherwised known as "social downtime". In our medspa..it's all about patient desires - fraxel can give you faster end point results in terms of time. I hope this information helps - Lori

Hi , I am currently using laser genesis in my clinic what parameters are you using ?? anything in particular for acne? and 20 000 for full face? thanks :)
20k pulses seems like a lot. I have never used that much on just a face. Are you getting results? Are you getting any PIH with patients?
Parameters differ patient to patient. Typically 13-20j depending on issue, area, and skin type.
Usually I do 10-12k pulses for entire face. What is your reasoning in using 20k pulses?
I typically do not use LG for acne. For acne scarring, yes.
Does anyone know the difference in Laser Genesis and Fraxel treatments?

Good question, rebecca. I've asked the doctors who post on RealSelf to provide a response here.

The best thing to do with the bumps is just nothing at all. I was sold an organic cleanser by my skin specialist to use - try not to use a cleanser with Sodium Laureth Sulfate or similar as it can be too harsh. You have to treat freshly lasered skin very gently. I try not to wash my face until late that night. I like to leave it alone for as long as possible.
How long did it take for your to recover?
I also hd a bad reaction. Did you ever get a respnse on how long it lasted
Hi, I just got laser genesis today, around noon time. Its late at night and I am getting rash and irritation on my skin. I was wondering if you did anything to recover from your bumps. I washed and cleansed with Neutrogena Cleanser. Thanks
I also had a bad reaction from the Genesis. I got the tiny rash bumps almost all over my face. It went away to my relief.I also had two Titan treatments around my eye area, one IPL treatment on my whole face.The treatments were over a three month period from Jan. to April I have not seen results from the Titan, but a little from the other two. I think I will need another Genesis. I just hope it is not a waste of money. I am 64 years old and I am not fat or too wrinkly.