Fingers Crossed! - Fort Thomas, KY

I've been wanting to do Invisalign for probably 8...

I've been wanting to do Invisalign for probably 8 or so years now and finally decided to take the plunge (at age 27). My parents thought my teeth weren't bad enough to warrant braces, but I've always wished they were straighter (we're our own worst critic, right?). I've done plenty of research in the past 8 years, so I'm pretty confident I know what I'm getting myself into. This website in particular has proved to be a really helpful resource for me and so I've decided to add my experience to the bunch in hopes to aid others in their Invisalign decision.

Back in January, I went to the orthodontist to have the scans and photos taken and today I went to have the attachments placed (11 total, 8 top, 3 bottom) and to receive my first 10 weeks of aligners. I have 30 on the top and 39 on the bottom (whew, that seems like a lot!) with 3 aligners tacked on at the end in case of any needed refinements. So far, I've just had the attachments on (without the aligners) and they really aren't bad at all; they are hardly noticeable and don't hurt or scratch my lips. I'm waiting until bed time tonight to start wearing my first aligner, as advised, and will update later this week with how my first days went.

Here are some specifics about my case: The cost is $4640 and my insurance will cover $1500. The total treatment time will be 78 - 84 weeks, so approx. 1 year 8 months. I'm seeing an Elite Invisalign provider, an orthodontist (not a dentist), who comes highly recommended. As of right now, my treatment plan doesn't show any IPR. As I update my review, I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you might have about the process.

I'm pretty exciting to begin this journey and am anxious for the final results. I hope it goes as smooth as possible!! So far, so good : )

I've had my first trays in for two days now and am...

I've had my first trays in for two days now and am experiencing some pretty tender teeth. The pain isn't terrible, just a lot of pressure and soreness. I've been able to get the aligners in and out alright, but it definitely hurts a bit while taking them out. Brushing and flossing 4-5 times a day is going to take a while to get used to, but I assume it will eventually become routine and won't be too big of a deal. This will definitely be the cleanest my teeth have ever been!! As far as the aligner itself; it hasn't scrapped the inside of my mouth or caused any sores. I produce more saliva than normal and have a tiny bit of a lisp. I was actually expecting the lisp to be a lot worse, but luckily it's not bad at all. I will post a picture of what my teeth look like with the aligners in when I get a chance. I think the attachments are more noticeable with the aligners in, than without, but still MUCH less conspicous than metal braces.

I'm about at the end of my first set of trays. I...

I'm about at the end of my first set of trays. I change to my 2nd trays on Wednesday. The trays were pretty tight for the first 10 days or so, then they began to loosen up a bit in the back. They are still tight where I have attachments, but no pain and no sensitivity when eating. The hardest thing with Invisalign thus far has been the inability to snack before dinner and in between meals and constantly feeling like I have to rush. I've been super strict with myself and have kept the aligners in for exactly 22 hours each day, which can be quite difficult, but I don't want my treatment to be any longer than it needs to be! Overall, it hasn't been too tough getting into a routine and I like my teeth feeling super clean all the time. I've managed to keep my aligners clean by using an Efferdent tablet once a day (while the trays are out for a meal), followed by light brushing and then brushing the trays with water all other times. I always floss then brush after each meal. I will post progress of my teeth after I've completed a few more trays, not many visible changes after just one tray!

My second set of trays has been much easier than...

My second set of trays has been much easier than the first in terms of pain and sensitivity. I'm slowly starting to forget I even have aligners in my mouth, which is great! I'm also to a point where it feels better to have them in, than out, which is also a testament to how much I've gotten used to them. The only real problem thus far is that in the past day I've developed a sore in the corner of my mouth (lips) and I'm not sure if this is because of the Invisalign making my lips so dry, the production of excess saliva, or the fact that I'm opening my mouth up wide to put the trays in and out and to floss? Or it may not be related to the invisalign at all, but seeing that I've never had this problem before, I thinking it's because of the invisalign. Has anyone else experienced this?

Just started tray 8 - Progress Pics Posted

I just started tray 8 and everything has gone very smooth so far, no major problems to mention! I've been extremely happy with the ease of use, comfort, and ability to take the trays out whenever I need to eat. My teeth are significantly whiter and both my teeth and gums seem healthier in general. I have not been as uptight with sticking exactly to the 2 hour rule, but am always very close to it. Out of the 14.5 weeks of wearing trays thus far, I've only added 4 days onto my treatment time because of bigger events where I needed to have the trays out longer than 2 hours. Oh one big thing to mention - I'm almost 13 weeks pregnant. Yep, pretty much got pregnant a few weeks after starting my treatment. So, I'm anxious to see how well invisalign and pregnancy go together! I'm thinking I won't gain as much weight because of the no snacking in between meals. This may be tough... I've also heard that it could move the treartment along because my gums will get softer because of the increased blood; not sure if that is true or not. Anyways, will keep everyone posted! I've added a few photos to show my progress after finishing tray 7; there are a few minor improvements, but nothing major as of yet.

Just finished Tray 15 - Progress Pics Posted

Haven't updated in a while because there isn't really much to report. I just finished tray 15 and everything has gone as well as I could have expected. No setbacks of any kind and the orthodontist says my teeth are right on track, so YAY, I'm really happy. I've been in treatment for 7 months and have just about a year to go. Looking back at beginning photos I can already tell big improvements, which is really exciting!! I'm quite anxious for the final results. I posted a comparison pic of Tray 1/Tray 15 so you can see the difference.

It's been a little tough having Invisalign while pregnant because of the need to eat several small meals a day instead of my normal 3 meals, this means my trays are out more like 2 - 3 hours a day instead of just 2. Oh well, as long as my teeth stay on track like they have, I guess it's not too big of a deal.

All in all, I'm really happy with Invisalign thus far and am already impressed with the improvements I see! One more year to go!! I'll update again after I've completed another several trays. Please let me know if you have any questions.

1 year anniversary of starting Invisalign!!!

Hi All! Just thought I'd update with a photo to show everyone my progress during the past year! First though, I must let everyone know that I welcomed my beautiful daughter, Juliet, on December 6th!!!!! As you can tell from the photo, my teeth have come a looooong way. I'm very happy with my progress thus far. I'm currently on tray 23 out of 29 for my bottom and 39 for my top, so my bottom teeth are almost done! Yay! My top teeth still have a while to go; I estimate I'll be completely finished within the year (hopefully sooner). Overall, the Invisalign process has been relatively easy (even during 9 months of pregnancy) and I would recommend the treatment to anyone wanting to straighten their teeth. Please let me know if you have any questions!

Done with BOTTOM teeth - 4.5 months to go on top!

Hey everyone! It's a good time to update because I just finished tray 30, which means I'm done with my bottom teeth - WOOHOO!! I'm really happy with how they look, because as you can tell, they were SUPER crowded at the beginning and a couple of teeth really needed to make some major rotations. Now, I am supposed to wear "passive aligners" on the bottom teeth while my top teeth continue their course of treatment, which is another 10 trays. So, I'll continue getting new passive aligners every two weeks with my top trays and I am only supposed to wear the bottom trays at night (something about my back molars needing to come down a bit). I've already been wearing them like this for a few days and I must say, it takes a little getting used to! Has anyone else been instructed to just wear one tray during the all day while the other only at night?

I cannot wait until my top teeth are done, I am soooo anxious. This whole treatment process hasn't been bad, but I'm just so close to being done that I'm getting antsy. Plus, with breastfeeding a little one and not being able to snack, I'm losing too much weight, ahhhhh! I know, I know, some would kill to be in my situation, but seriously I don't want to look sick! I will be glad when I can snack at will and not have to think twice about whether or not I feel like going through the whole routine of brushing and flossing, lol.

I'll update again around tray 35 and then again at the end of my entire treatment!! In the meantime, let me know if anyone has any questions!

First little snag in treatment : (

Well, I ran into my first little bump in the road. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a big bump and we can get the issue fixed quickly. My back molars have intruded (is that the word?) and now my bite doesn't touch in the back of my mouth. I went into the ortho yesterday and he decided to cut off the back of my remaining top trays in hopes that this will cause my teeth to naturally extrude back into a position where they touch. I am still only wearing my bottom passive trays at night since those teeth are finished and that should help as well with extruding the molars. The doctor didn't seem concerned and said that this is fairly common with invisalign. I only have 5 trays left (on tray 35 of 39) until I'm finished unless this bite issue doesn't correct itself, then I will likely need a refinement. I am sooooo anxious to be done! The doctor also mentioned that I can wear the last 5 trays for 10 days each instead of 14, so that was a nice surprise. I go back October 30 to see if the bite has corrected; time has been allotted to do refinement impression if necessary.

Does anyone have a similar experience with their back molars not touching? And did it correct itself okay? Thanks for the input.

FINISHED with my Invisalign treatment!!! Woohoo!!

So excited to finally be finished with my treatment. Went to the ortho on Thursday and was pleasantly surprised to find that we both agreed my teeth look great and that there was no need to do a refinement!! My back teeth still need to extrude a tiny bit but that will continue to get better as time goes on. In total, my treatment took 20 months; 39 trays on the top and 30 on the bottom. I have a follow-up appointment in January to make sure I'm still satisfied and to check on my back teeth, if there are any issues I can still have a refinement done for no additional cost, but we both suspect that will not be necessary. At my last appointment, the ortho removed all my attachments, smoothed and rounded a couple teeth, placed a permanent retainer on my bottom teeth, created a plastic retainer for my top teeth, and took final X-rays and photos. I will have the permanent retainer forever and am to wear the plastic retainer every night for the first 20 months and then slowly reduce wearing time after that until I am only wearing it a couple times a week.

Overall, the entire process was relatively smooth and painless for me. I would highly recommend Invisalign to anyone on the fence about whether or not to undergo treatment. Please feel free to ask me any questions!
Florence Orthodontist