upper & lower jaw surgery WORST life decision-

I am 48 years old. I had braces put on my teeth...

I am 48 years old. I had braces put on my teeth about 15 months prior to the surgery and knew I would have to have double jaw surgery. No research I did could have prepared me for what I went through. Nothing prepared me for feeling like I couldn't breathe after surgery and being surrounded by incompetent nurses. I was vomiting up blood and my lungs were full of blood which I struggled to cough up. When I was sent home from the hospital only two days later, I was sent home where I live alone and couldn't keep track of what medications to take when and couldn't get enough liquids in me. I highly suggest having some one with you from the moment you wake up from surgery. I ended up dehydrated and needed to go back into the ER where I was treated and released. Then began my two week stent of insomnia when I slept only an hour a night. This is also when the pain started. I felt and still do feel like I have fire ants eating my lips and chin. Though I am able to sleep now and have decent stamina during the day I take loads of non-narcotics to ease the pain. It now feels like I have tabasco sauce burning my lips. My chin is still completely numb as is my lower lip with the exception of continuing nerve pain that drives me batty. My surgeon thinks it is just the nerves "waking up" . I wish I would have known the surgery was going to be this brutal. I read many blogs before the surgery and no one mentioned this pain so I am getting quite concerned. At some point I will post before and after pics. I like my profile but not sure about the change to my face from the front. My bite is better , but not perfect. Hopefully the orthodontist will be able to correct the remaining issues, but he has only stated he will "do his best". Suffering in pain....

Sorry to hear you are still in pain. Was the surgery performed at Nova University school and who was the actual surgeon? Was the cost your cost or the total cost for the surgery? Curious since I'm also in South Florida. Thank you.
Hi, I would like to wait to say who the surgeon was at this point. My insurance company paid 10k, but its a terrible HMO that most facilities don't accept. My deductible was 1500. The surgery was performed through NOVA school of maxillo facial surgery , but it was actually done at a hospital in hollywood.
Thank you for your review, i would greatly appreciate if you could update pics and also how you are progressing. God willing the pain will subside and you will be in full good health very soon. My son has only had his initial appointments and is due for his braces soon so i would really be grateful if you could continue ur updates. Best wishes

6 weeks post op, nerve pain continues as well as numbness, but improving

Okay, where do I begin. The swelling has gone down. I am getting a lot of compliments on my new face, but it is hard to enjoy because of the pain. However, the nerve pain continues to be extreme. Today I finally saw a neurologist who agrees with my surgeon that it is the nerves "waking up" and re-establishing their abilities. He calls the pain Trigeminal Neuralgia. My lower lip and entire chin are completely numb. It is uncertain if they will regain feeling or not and if so how long it will take. I finally went back to work but talk a little funny because of the numbness. The nerve pain increases because of all the talking. So the neurologist started me on trileptal because he didn't feel like the neurontin was working and he was probably right because I was having to take 2000mg a day to just take the edge off of the pain.

BEFORE and 5 weeks AFTER PICS

I'ts still really difficult to smile especially since my upper jaw has been moved forward so much and PLUS i have the braces on . So much discomfort. My look will supposedly change some more.

Yeah okay, your profile is much more comfortable looking!  It looks like you had a little bit of an underbite before but they fixed that.  I think they did a great job, looks-wise.  But this pain thing is not good.  Weird--you look way younger in your now pictures, despite all the pain.

You look beautiful in both pictures.  But knowing you are in so much pain makes it hard to not see it in the after picture :(.  You look pale and not as happy.  So many weeks and so little improvement.   Is the trileptal starting to work better?  Is there no way you can do less talking?  I suppose you're in a corner because you're single and have no help--if you don't work, who will pay.  I am keeping you in my thoughts, but I really hope the trileptal helps.

I have tried 3 times to put up profile pics but cant get it right. Can you delete the ones I have up there so I can really make the before and after pictures showing the exact same profile angle and amount of my head? I will repost as soon as all my other attempts are taken down. Thanks.

PROFILE, BEFORE and AFTER

here is a profile before and after.

Oh i just saw your photos, and i have to say there is a lovely difference. I have to be honest im very apprehensive for mingling with nature but in some instances it becomes necessary, this procedure done for the under bite has had a side effect and that is that you are looking even more beautiful than before and you look very beautiful in the first place! Your photos show a significant difference and they are all positive!! Hope u are feeling less pain now! God bless
hi there you look great. I am 39 and went to see ortho last week who I think was trying to talk me out of op. I am meeting with surgeon and ortho in a couple of weeks for furthers talk to discuss options. I think I need to convince them its not for cosmetic reasons that I want this op. Do you think that major psychological distress from the age of 7 will count as a non cosmetic reason ? good luck with your recovery and I hope the pain eases very soon
well for me it was done to correct mis-alignment of my bite. I had a class 3 mal-occlusion. I would listen to your ortho. this has been so traumatic. I have a very difficult time talking. Today was my first day back to work and I am ready to text my boss my resignation. I am in agony. My chin is on fire. My chin and lower lip still feels as if they're shot up with novacaine. This is causing me an extreme amount of distress. I have been crying since I came home from work. Think long and hard about having this done.

Before and after

Quit my job due to pain

My job requires a significant amount of speaking. After an 8 hour day i was in so much pain all I could do is cry. I resigned. I have been now diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia, also known as "suicide disease". I am hoping it gets better with time. But being 6 weeks post op I am starting to wonder if it ever will.

Thank you so much! Some acquaintances, coworkers just look at me and look away, a few say I look great, but those that say nothing have me wondering if I look like a freak or something. so I appreciate your feedback. Its still hard to talk and I talk funny and make strange expressions because my chin and lip are numb so I do wonder how I look. thank you!

7 weeks excruciating burning and numbness persists

It's getting no better. The neurologists says it is unknown whether or not it will get better. My quality of life has gone to hell since this surgery. Don't let anyone tell you this surgery is great and you'll do wonderful. To think I"ll live the rest of my life like this is extremely depressing. The pain is searing and I still can't chew without biting my bottom lip. I was NOT told this was a possible outcome of surgery.

8 weeks , no change in numbness or nerve pain

The neurologist and jaw doc just want to push pain meds at me, no one cares to find out the real reason behind why all the pain. I could have a damn screw that fell out, or be allergic to the plates put in , but no one cares to find that out. They all just want to manage the symptoms and hope I go away. It's a sad state of care I"m receiving and I'm angry.

Sad, disappointed and angry to report that my relief from the pain was short lived. For whatever reason the pain relief was only for about 48 hours after starting the new medications. I will continue taking both the prescribed and the amino acid for the nerve regeneration. For now I can't imagine having to live the rest of my life with this nerve pain. I"m hoping I won't have to live that long, sadly enough. I've been referred to as "disfigured" by two people and two others have asked if I the surgeon cut nerves. I don't like my new look but my biggest complaint is the searing burning pain I am in and the numbness to my chin and lip. I am also upset that I was not warned that the nerve pain and feeling like my face was frozen and difficulty speaking was a risk of the surgery. I am not a person who complications happen to; I tend to have good luck in life and health issues are rare. Think long and hard about having this surgery.
Hi so glad to hear you have found some excellent pain relief at last. I keep checking back to see how you are getting on. I have a 3 and a half mm underbite but my teeth are actually quite straight. I went back to see the ortho and the surgeon yesterday. ( think they are still trying to talk me out of going a head with treatment) although the surgeon was very nice and said he needed to make be aware of all the risks. They said I need my 2 top kanines remove as they are still up in my gums and never came through, this threw me a bit as it means an operation before they can get started with braces. I had some moulds taken of my teeth and have to go back at the end of January. They also kept mentioning my age, i'm 39. Is this the sort of thing you went through? really want this done but of course worried about something going wrong, not so much the pain now you have found some great tablets but more of it looking worse than it does now. Keep letting us know how you getting on.
You are lucky that your surgeon and orthodontist care enough about you that they don't want you to have the surgery. My docs were both pushing me to do it and did not mention risks, only thing they mentioned to me was the rare event that numbness could happen and I am OLDER than you! RARE they told me! They don't give a F**K about me! I am so happy to know that your docs have your best interest in mind. OH, also, had I of only had the upper jaw surgery, I would have no problems right now. I had both the upper and the lower jaw surgery. The lower jaw surgery is where all the problems have come from. The lower jaw is also the surgery they talked me into, this is not the surgery I wanted to do because of the risk of numbness. If you just have your upper jaw done the risks are a lot less so maybe you could just do that.

10 weeks post op, pain and numbness continues

Double jaw surgery two and a half months ago and I continue to have a chin and lower lip feeling as if it is on fire. At the same time, it is numb. I am taking lots of pills each day that is supposed to help with the pain. THey don't seem to be working at all, but they do make me very sleepy, lazy, mentally dull, and forgetful. If I could go back in time I would not have the surgery. I do not like the way I look and my life has taken a turn for the worse. My bills are piling up, I had to quit my job, my credit is being affected, and now needing to be on all these medications I am not that sharp mentally. I am very disappointed in myself for letting myself be talked into this surgery and disappointed in the medical staff for doing this to me.

Honestly I think the new pic makes you look younger and pretty attractive. And I'm 20 years old haha so if a 20 year old guy sees you looking attractive it obviously means you're looking pretty damn good. I mean all I've seen is the side of your face. But still looks a lot better. Plus trying to be perfect isn't always easy. There's always a consequence. And I was just thinking about getting surgery too. But now this scared me. So I probably won't. Haha
THanks Adam. Take my story to heart. This is what they don't want you to know about jaw surgery. What they don't want you to know is that there is a high chance and risk that they can injure your trigeminal nerve like they did mine and you will have to live with terrible pain for the rest of your life. Imagine, numerous doctor appointments to get this med and that med and this and that procedure all to get drugs to help you cope with the burning searing pain that wont let you function and cope with life or let you sleep at night or enjoy life. It's horrible. Yes, I may look better, but I can't stand living life anymore and fantasize about ending my life at least daily because I am in agony and can't enjoy it anymore. Not to mention can't feel my lower lip or chin. It sounded like no big deal when they mentioned "oh , there's a small chance of numbness" but trust me, it sucks not having feeling in your lip when your trying to eat, sip soup , drink coffee, kiss, etc. They act like these are SO RARE, let me tell you, what is rare is being able to FEEL your lip and chin after jaw surgery. They just want to do surgery , they don't care when happens to you after wards. Sorry , sounds terrible, but once your are done, you're gone, and they've got another notch in their belt.
Amen to that, sister...hahaha yeah it sucks and doesn't get better with time, at least not for me. You do "get used to" feeling the pain somewhat, if you get distracted enough, or work hard enough at ignoring it for very short periods of time, but nighttime is really really hard...no one should do this surgery unless it is completely unavoidable, such as an accident, etc. people need to start making these doctors pay for their lack of truthfulness about this surgery and the outcome you will most likely have...

12 weeks post op, losing hope

I have a neurologist, a pain specialist, a regular doctor, all working to prescribe the right meds so I can get my life back close to what it was before this jaw surgery to correct a cross bite and an underbite. Even with all three of the drugs I'm on, I never feel as good as I did before the surgery. I can't understand why a team of doctors would do something so mean and cruel to me. What did I do to them for them to ruin my life like this? They are probably going to enjoy Christmas tomorrow with their families tomorrow but I am miserable,suffering in horrible pain as if my face is on fire even with these stupid medications that make me feel extremely anxious or tired but never seem to take the pain away. But the surgeons just go on to live their lives not thinking about mine that they wrecked. They did not warn me this could be one of the risks of the jaw surgery. Shame on them. Almost 3 months I have the same amount of burning sensation of pain, some minor improvement in deep feeling in chin but no feeling in lower lip. I could pierce it or cut it off and feel nothing. Thanks for nothing doc.

Could you please post before and after pictures of you smiling?
not yet northernvagirl. It has made smiling difficult. I'm waiting to get the braces off. Keep checkng back, I will eventually.
I hope the new year will bring improvements for you!  I honestly don't know whether giving up hope will make you feel better, but from some of the stories I've read, where things improve over the course of a year…well, I am just hoping that is the case for you.  My surgeon told me that it takes a year to heal from any major surgery, even if you look healed on the outside.  I've not recovered nerve sensation those places I lost it, though, even though I'm more than a year post-op.  But I still feel changes.  At three months post-op, I was still very, very messed up.  My hormones were completely crazy and took 6 months to go back to normal.  So I am really hoping that you will continue to heal, and that it will bring some relief to you.  My thoughts are with you every day.

NO longer suffering with pain, numbness persists

It took 3 months for the pain to go away. No more burning sensations . Strangely enough it stopped and I don't even need to take anymore medications.
My chin and lower lip is still nearly totally numb and my lower lip turns blue a lot. I don't know what causes that. I am continuing to take the vitamin suppliment Acetyl L Carnitine which is supposedly good for nerve regeneration.
I"m going to look into having nerve repair surgery for the numbness to see if that would help.

Today is day 17 post-op. My jaws are still wired shut. I can't wait to start having mashed potato, and move on to soft diet instead of all-liquid diet. The nerve on the bottom part of my face is giving me such a hard time to sleep. At random times, there are sensations of sudden sting and burn. Not fun. My antibiotics and painkillers will be up in 3 days. Wonder how I am going to survive thru the rest of the full recovery period without them. However, I am looking forward to complete 8 weeks of recovery and being able to chew again. I will start working on the 3rd of Feb, wish me luck with it since I can barely speak clear words these days.
It's been 4 days since my surgery. I am in so much pain and swollen. The prescribed medication does not work! I can't take no more of this!!
So I am surprised that the pain seems to have gone away so quickly after such a long time in constant pain...are you taking any meds? I know that you were trying different drugs, but I believe you said they were not working for you. As I am still in constant pain I would love to know if something actually worked for you!

4 months post op before and after pic

My chin and lower lip are still totally numb. The swelling is all gone. I tried to find photos that were very close so you could see the difference. I have pictures of both before and after that look different but these two I think are the closest regarding lighting, position, etc.

Neurontin really helped me alot. And muscle relaxer. Sorry i"m just seeing your post. I ended up needing 10 weeks off from work. hope you're doing better.

more before and after pics

Lighting and camera settings can change the appearance significantly. So I've added these to help show the difference before and after.

before pic

This was taken 3 years before surgery.

You look beautiful, seriously.  You should post profile pics as well, though, since that is where most of the change will be.  Even back in November, when you were in terrible pain and unhappy, the change was positive and striking in your profile.  Most of the time we spend looking at ourselves will be from the front, since that's easiest, but others will see us from many angles.

Has there been any change in the numbness at all?  It seems like it's affecting your smile in one spot.  I've read that on can train that kind of stuff using a mirror or going to a therapist.
It's been three weeks since my surgery. I'm getting better each day, however I notice whenever I drink something cold or am outside in the cold, the muscle in my upper lip stiffens. Not sure why but I will give the muscle relaxer a try. Thanks Carol
I have the same thing in all my muscles of my upper and lower jaw with cold air they get really stiff. It has improved a little bit but I live where it's 80 degrees so might be different if I had to live in cold weather. It's been 4 months and I still need 10mg flexoril by noon daily.

profile pictures

Hi Carol ~ I am having the same problem you had with the nerve pain. It's been 5 weeks post op for me and it's driving me crazy. I hope it's gone as yours did. I don't mind the numbness....but you're so right. The pain is crazy! I have to exercise my face muscles and help the jaw motion as well as talk but it makes it worse. Hoping that it will go away soon. Any advice?
Hi, the only thing that helped was Neurontin and topramil. I also started taking the suppliment Acetyl L-Carnitine which may have helped. Took 90 days but if finally went away. I was seriously getting depressed living with that burning sensation.
numbness is a issue with these surgeries. No one should proceed with this surgery without excepting the risk they could be numb for life. Now its not often for that to happen but its a risk and this surgery is elective.

5 months post op getting some tingling

My chin and lip has been very numb. However, I noticed the last few days that when I touch the left side of my chin I get tingling sensations immediately. Yay! Unfortunately it does not have the same effect on my lower lip, but I am holding out hope. At least the pain has not come back. Still not sure if all this was worth the results. My bite is good now so that is what is important. One thing I do not like though is that since moving my lower jaw back I now have grooves from the corners of my mouth down like a clown. I just spent $1300 in filler trying to erase them. Thats another review.

I'm three weeks post op from my double jaw surgery and I agree that no amount of research could prepare me for what I am going through. My palate tore during surgery and I needed skin grafts to fix the damage. My total surgery time was 12 hours and I spent 8 days in the hospital. I developed oral thrush from the antibiotics, they couldn't get adequate blood flow back to my gums after surgery and now there's a strong possibility I'll lose my teeth. I have to do hyperbaric oxygen treatment 6 days a week to try to save some of the tissue but at best I'll need gum grafts and at worst I'll need implants. I also live alone and was completely unable to care for myself during the first two weeks. Having this surgery is the biggest regret of my life.
That's great news about the tingling! :).  I'm sorry about the lines--are they the kind that are there all the time?  Or is it only when you smile?  I get lines when I smile, but I don't have them the rest of the time--especially when I'm a little over my ideal weight, like I am now :-/ ;).  Win some and lose some.  But you still look beautiful, and it looks like you've regained enough control that you can smile symmetrically now.  I can't even do that without numbness *LOL*.  Anyway, I hope the numbness continues to recede!

Peace.
Hello TwoPlusOne, They are vertical lines that extend downward from the corners of my mouth which make me look sad :-( . I paid way too much for fillers ($1300) and they are still there. Thank you for the compliments though! I"m getting physical therapy for my mouth movements because it's still awkward to talk etc but my mouth/smile has always been crooked since I had bell's palsy when I was 9. Doesn't really bother me much though, I"m so used to it. Yes, I am eating really really healthily and think that's why all of the sudden my nerves on my chin are becoming more responsive. lip nerves still doing nothing though :-(

6 months post op. Regret my decision to have this surgery.

Due to my ongoing numbness, discomfort and changes to my face I can honestly say that I regret this decision to have the surgery 6 months ago. I was told I would lose most my bottom teeth if I didn't do the surgery. But I wish I could have researched this further to see if there was not some other way to handle the surgery. My lower lip and chin are still numb however I do have some strange tingling that occurs when the are touched. Still nothing like it was. I also don't like the aging effect the surgery has had on my face. My mouth looks older and therefore my whole face does too. My surgeon had said, "if it does age you , you can just have filler done!" I don't know if he realized how expensive it would be to have 3 syringes of filler done ever 6 months. I know I didn't.

Hi Carol, your story is heart-rending and I am so so sorry you are suffering so much. Yes, you DO look beautiful and I cannot imagine WHAT anyone would be giving you an odd look for? The pain sounds simply horrendous. I thought I just MIGHT give you a little hope by suggesting physical therapy? Not every therapist is the same, I guess just any other profession. But you may sincerely benefit from electrotherapy. It's called neuro-muscular electrical stimulation. The goal is to stimulate OTHER parts of the muscles and nerves. Many times agonizing pain like yours actually causes the nerve pathways to your brain to increase the area of the brain that is sensitive to pain, sort of a pain begets more pain theory. I haven't noticed in your long thread anyone suggesting TENS, another form of pain relief. Theory is that a nerve trunk can only allow so many messages to pass through at one time. So if you stimulate a nerve with variable currents, none PREDICTABLE, you can actually "overwhelm" the pain sensations and just feel the tingling of the e-stim. Over time, the pain sensory area of the brain shrinks and you are no longer as responsive to the pain. It's hard to find the right kind of therapist. Most seem to be interested in orthopedics (sports, bone and joint pain, etc) but what you want is a therapist interested in NEUROLOGY. Our local neurologists know that I love treating neuro pain so I get many referrals from the neurologists. Perhaps if you met with a neurologist, he or she may know of a PT interested in working with facial and trigeminal nerve pain. I live in SC so there is no point in coming here, there must be thousands of neuro PTs in your state. Another idea is to write to your local physical therapy association. There is one for each state, and the national association is called the American Physical Therapy Association and it is in Northern Virginia near Washington DC. Start researching. I feel very hopeful that you can be helped. I had a 39 yr old patient who'd had his face smashed in a terrible head-on collision 4 years before he was referred to me. He had SO MANY injuries, fractures of legs, back, and much much more, so no one seemed to notice his facial nerve palsy...except he could not drink from a straw, liquids would slide out his mouth, one eye could no longer wink, he could only lift one eyebrow, couldn't whistle, etc etc. The neuro sent him to me and with neuro muscular elec stim and exercises he regained all those lost skills in only 6 weeks...best of all, his wife said his "kissing" was normal again! His problem was NOT pain, I must remind you. But the point is, the cortex of the brain responds to input, good or bad, by INCREASING the available area for sensory input or motor output BASED on the individual's demand, perceived or otherwise. So with pain, one needs to increase NEUTRAL or NOT PAINFUL input to displace the huge area now devoted to pain. (Remember the old book about laughing throughout cancer treatments to decrease the pain? There is some research-driven truth to this.) Please, just to begin with, try focusing on ANYTHING other than pain. It's TERRIBLY difficult at first. But yoga, meditation, and all of those things many used to think were "hooey" are now being PROVEN to be effective. With back pain, often an epidural injection of cortisone can relieve the pain, and then reduce swelling enough so that there is a brief relief from the pain. A few months later, it can be done again, and each time the effects last longer. TMJ (temperomandibular joint pain) can be improved with pulsed ultrasound. There are therapists who practice dry needling, even acupuncture...there are so many different ways to interrupt the pathways of pain to the brain, or, (not in your case, but in others') to cause firing of motor nerves that the brain "forgot"-- by stimulating these nerves, the muscles "remember" their roles, and one can achieve some strengthening even in muscles that have "wasted" (such as a person lying in a coma for six months.) I am embarrassed by how NON-TECHNICAL and poorly presented my points are. I just want you to try other resources besides ONLY pain meds. There are physicians who can sever nerves to prevent pain from very local areas: sometimes they first inject the nerve with something that impedes sensory input (like pain, tingling, burning). If it works, sometimes and injection now and then may be all that's needed. Other times a complete nerve block works. It's like I am throwing a BOOK at you, of ill-defined ideas. I am even uncomfortable posting this as it is just a hash of ideas: but there are MANY ways to manage pain, and I do not think your physicians have suggested them all to you. Please see a neurologist first, then a physical therapist, then a pain management physician. There may be another dozen or more ways to handle this, but don't give up. The important thing is to get the pain STOPPED or lessened so that it can stop taking so much of the sensory input from the rest of your body and building up too great a space in your brain. I hope this helps you, and others who are reading and suffering the same way you are. Many blessings and please, keep hoping and trying.
THank you MVPT so much for your feedback and suggestions. Fortunately my pain did subside about 6 months ago. Numbness with some tingling persists though. I did get some physical therapy. Later today I will post a current pick since I got my braces off and am now 9 months post op. THanks again!
I'm glad you're so much better!! Hopefully our conversation will help others! Take care-- having TT tomorrow, prayers are so welcomed. xoxoxo Maggie

9 months post upper and lower jaw

My chin and lip feel frozen. However, my chin and lip muscles move more than they should when I talk. I still have a lot of numbness to the chin and lip but can feel immediate tingling when they are touched. My teeth fit perfectly now which is why I went through all of this. Although, if I could go back in time I would not have had the surgery but found some other way.

This is why you have to research before surgery. Im sorry you had so many problems:( I just had the same surgery two weeks ago. Only have numbness in my chin and lower lip which I hope comes back but it was a risk I was willing to take before surgery. I guess I had the opposite experience of you which shows everyone is different with this surgery. Was in the hospital for only one night and did fine with my fluids and im actually feeling pretty normal after only two weeks. You cant tell people not to go with surgery just because yours didnt end up like you thought. People go into this surgery very naive and should ask their surgeon many questions. Also the amount you paid was not a lot. This is a $50,000 + surgery and many people have to pay out of pocket for it. I hope your getting better though and everything works out. Some people have tingling for up to a few years later and then it magically starts going away. So dont lose hope
I don't know why price matters or why you are bringing that up. My surgery was covered by insurance, my deductible was $1500. I also did ask my surgeon lots of questions before the surgery and was not told the whole truth. No where in my thread have I told anyone not to have the surgery so I don't know why you're saying that either. I said to think very carefully before and do much research and for me it was NOT worth it. I AM entitled to my own review of this surgery as this is what this website is about. I'm happy you have had an easy time with double jaw surgery and wish many more people success also.
I am In the same boat with Carol. Our surgeries are almost identical. Tomorrow marks 3 months for me and my burning is still extreme. I am glad that you are one of the lucky ones that don't have a lot of nerve pain because quite honestly it sucks. I did all the research in the world before my surgery got done not one mentioned anything about persistant burning. Surgeries that deal with nerves seem to be easier in your late teens and early 20's. I'm 30. Would I recommend this surgery yes and no. Yes if you fall into age bracket I described and no if you are above the age of 25. Not everyone has the same experience. No research nor question mentioned a constant burning. When I got my burning my surgeon knew how to treat it meaning he had cases like this which he never told me about. He told me about pins and needles which I had along with the burning. We do heal differently but reading this post upset me quite honestly. No one is naïve going into this and Carol and I don't deserve our burning. It's not easy and it's really scary at the same time!

10 months. I miss being able to feel my lower lip and chin.

The burning is minimal, but still feels like I have chapped lower lip. I can't feel my lower lip or chin so it makes going out to eat a bit tricky; I could have food on my face and not feel it. I also realized i can't feel my gums either. But I can feel my tongue and roof of mouth so that's good. I really appreciate all the support of everyone reading my posts and connections I've made. I like the change to the way my face looks but still would rather have the feeling back in my face.

10 months

Just after my 7 hour jaw surgery

My surgery was horrid. Here is the pic of me the day after.

It's now about a year since your surgery. Has your numbness resolved or continued to improve? I had lower jaw surgery for an overbite early April 2014 at age 58 and still have significant numbness in chin and lower lip - I can only feel tingling when pressing on my left chin and nothing on my right chin. It's been 6 months and I have not had improvement since early post op. During my last appointment with surgical team they stated up to 18 months for recovery but I am very concerned that there is no progression. I read that nerve recovery takes longer if you are female and if you are older.
Wow it was so good coming across this post! I also had double jaw surgery (I'm 50) and I went through exactly the same. I also have the "jowl issue" and feel very self conscious and disappointed with the way my face looks after surgery. I thought it was just my imagination, but now I know that I'm not alone. I'm now looking at cosmetic surgery (more money) which was not in the plan at all. I'm thinking of fat fillers and possibly cheek implants to lift my face up a bit. I'm certainly not ready for face lifts etc.
Hey, try this,..get fillers in your cheeks. I got filler in my cheeks, and it really helped lift things up a bit. so the jowl issue is lessened. Although i know it will only help for so long, its at least buying me some time. Funny i get your comment today, i was just looking at my mouth thinking that's where my aging is most apparent.
Nova Southeastern University School of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

After a long, painful 3 months the pain has finally dissipated. The recovery was very rough for me. I finally feel without pain, numbness is still no different though. I miss being able feel my lower lip especially. The doctors are pleasant and knowledgeable but do not disclose any hint of difficulty or after surgery expectations. Knowing what to expect after waking up would have helped make an educated decision before going forward and less panic after the surgery.