Mini Lift in Colorado - Fort Collins, CO

I am in my 60's and very active..run marathons,...

I am in my 60's and very active..run marathons, bike,etc. but my face was showing the effects of being outdoorsy. I wanted something minimally invasive. Had a traditional face lift 11 years ago and although happy with the results, didn't like all the scars it left, but that was the way they did it back then. I had the procedure under total local anasthesia in the doc's office. It wasn't originally planned that way as my husband had to be out of town at the last minute and I had to drive myself to and from my hotel. Procedure was uncomfortable but not really painful until the end when the lidocaine started to wear off. I look lke a balloon on day 2 post op but will update later. Aleve seemed to take care of the pain, but I do have a high tolerance. Wouldn't necessarily say that would work for everyone. Face looks over stretched right now but doc says that will resolve.

Day 4

Still look like a chipmunk but swelling on one side is down. Hard to chew due to jaw immobility but no real pain that can't be handled with tylenol. Went for a couple of short walks but nothing strenuous yet. Will call doc this week to see when I can expect to eat regular food that doesn't require a straw.

Day 5 status quo

Tight jaw continues. At the end of the day it seems looser, but in the morning, I can barely chew on a piece of soft toast. I'm definitely going to lose weight at this rate and I don't have that much to lose! Will do another update on day 7. I'm liking the smoothness of the skin but realize that much of it is the swellimg from the surgery. No major bruises except under my chin.

I'm loving your day by day updates! Keep them coming! Do you have a blender you can use to make milkshakes/smoothies?

Yep! Thank goodness or I'd starve to death. I love smoothies, but I'm looking forward to chewing some real food soon.

Day 7 swelling down a bit

Talked to the nurse yesterday who said the difficulty chewing was due to repositioning the platysma muscle for a more permanent result. I'm able to eat some solid foods in small bites, but I'm a long ways from steak! Good thing I'm not a big meat eater. Peanutbutter is satisfying and a couple of spoonfuls tastes good. Kefir and smoothies get old after awhile. Almost all bruising is gone, but still look a little like a chipmunk.

Day 10

I have developed a line on one side of my face. I don't know if this is what is called a" lateral sweep" or not. Emailed photos to the doc to get his opinion.

Conflicting opinions day 11

Doc. says assymetry is common but another doctor on this site says it is lateral sweep on one side. Dr. Chapman says I need to wait at east 4 weeks. I had a regular facelift years ago and did not want all the behind the ear scars. As long as it relaxes a little, I am fine with it. Right side looks fine. Left side has a definite pull line. Time will tell I guess. i'll keep posting until I have a resolution.

Day 12 update

I do want to say that Dr. Chapman has answered my emails promptly (even on Sunday evening) and has been responsive to my concerns so far. His nurse has called me once, he has called me once and e mailed me once. I do like the fact that they are not just blowing it off.

At the 2 week point

Well, I am at the 2 week point. Most of the swelling on my left side has gone down. Still hurts to chew on the right side a little. The lines on the left side are still there, but no worse. Posting a question to this site has resulted in 4 docs telling me to "give it time" which is the same advice Dr. Chapman gave me.1 doc dissed the procedure (he doesn't do mini facelifts). I love what the lift did for the platysmal bands that were in my neck. Have scheduled a follow up appointment at 3 months when I will be in the area. I figure if the lines on the left don't soften by then, it would be a good time to talk about it. His staff has been very responsive and always answer my e mails and calls quickly. I plan on taking photos again at 4 weeks to compare. Sometimes when you check things everyday, you don't see any change (for better or worse).

Feeling discouraged

Almost 3 weeks...feeling like I am going to have to" live with the lines." Have seen no change but they don't seem to be getting worse. My husband says they are subtle, and I'm trying not to make it a bigger deal than it is.

update at 4 l/2 weeks

Pros: Neck looks much better. Bands are gone
Cons: Still have the lines of the lateral sweep on left side, but I think (can't really tell for sure) they are softening. Scars by ears appear to be in front of old scars rather than along the same lines. Dr. said at initial consultation that they would be along the same lines. Time will tell how they will look. I've been careful to cover them with the tape and not expose them to the sun.
Was it an expensive Beverly Hills mini lift.... No. Will it do what I wanted it to? We will see. I still have to leave my assessment as "not sure." Advice on this website is to give it at least 3 months.

Update at 7 weeks

I e mailed the Doc today with photos of the lines on the left hand side. Will see what he says. Fortunately, due to the way I wear my hair, (a bob), they are not very visible. They can really only be seen clearly in "office" light. My husband keeps reassuring me that they are barely noticeable. I have finally mustered the courage to post a photo. Will post another update after I receive his reply. It doesn't really look "radical" enough to undergo a revision surgery. I really don't want to go through that again. I have asked him if fillers might soften the line. Others have suggested ultrasound or laser, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

I want to know when you can start strenuous exercise again! I am close to 60, like you I run marathons and am in great shape. I had a mini face lift done 2 and 1/2 weeks ago and I started running a few days ago. Ran after dark and wore the "neck sling" garment. Just 2-3 miles. Do you think it's too early? I still have a little swelling, stiffness and numbness but otherwise I feel fine.
I would check with your doc. however, let me say this. I went on a 65 mile bike ride one week after my lift and it was after that ride that I noticed the "subtle" lines from the lateral sweep. My surgeon says he thinks it will resolve as the sutures dissolve, but in retrospect, I would've waited another 2 weeks before I did anything too strenuous.
can you post before and after pics?

4 months post op

Lines from lateral sweep are still there... scars on ears are not raised, but are red. I think this was not a good mini-lift. I am reconciled to the result, but would not do this again with the same doctor the way things stand today. The sweep is not super noticeable, but part of that is the way I wear my hair (covering the lines). If I chose a shorter style, it would be much more visible. Oh well... live and learn. Don't really want to pay for a revision at this point.

7 months post op and still have the "lateral sweep." Plus scars around ears are not really healing like they should...one is quite red but I have been told to wait a year. Do not go to this plastic surgeon... you get what you pay for and I should've had a more comprehensive procedure. Time will just have to let it loosen up I hope, but I'm coming to peace about my age. I do not recommend this plastic surgeon. Go elsewhere.
I only really have after pics.

7 months post op

I think it's been long enough to make a judgment... still have pull lines on one side from lateral sweep and one scar around one ear is quite red, but I've been told to wait a year. I would not do this procedure with this doctor again. I probably should have spent more money for a more comprehensive lift. Hopefully time will lessen the pull. I do not recommend this doctor or mini-lifts for women over 60.

I'm so sorry it didn't turn out the way you hoped :-( Have you considered any other options yet?
Yes, I'm contemplating seeing another board certified PS but I'm only 3 months out. I don't know if this other PS can do anything this early with my procedure. The sides of my ears are numb and that's about it. My incisions are healing quite nicely.
I recommend Dr. Ellenbogen I'm Beverly Hills. He specializes in revisions of the face.
Colorado Plastic Surgeon

Nice, personable and answered all my questions. Staff is nice and caring. So far, so good. Since I live a long way fom his office, they wanted me to stay close by so I could come in the next day. I liked the laid back non- pushy approach. I need to emphasize that if you choose anasthesia, the cost will increase.