Severe Pain from Capsule Contraction - Fontana, CA

Happy New Year! This year has to be better than...

Happy New Year! This year has to be better than last. I received my first implants, which were saline, in 1993. One breast started to look smaller than the other in 2001. So I saw a plastic surgeon that I've worked with doing home health. So my implants were replaced with teardrop silicone implants. I loved them! They were soft and looked natural. Well, one child and 90 pounds later, both breasts have contracted, my right breast is extremely hard and I'm having severe pain. I went to the VA hospital, I'm a disabled veteran, and was told to apply warm compresses and take Tylenol. Yeah, not helping. So I called Kaiser and they said go to the ER and they sent a referral to plastics in Fontana. I absolutely loved my implants and now am already greiving. I start a strict diet tomorrow, so hopefully I'll lose weight to match my small boobs. But I am in so much pain! My right breast, arm, and neck hurt so bad. I just want to take a knife and cut it out! BTW I'm 41 with 4 kids.

Depressed, I am going to miss my breasts

Does anyone miss their implants or feel depressed since having them removed? I have a consultation with a plastic surgeon at Kaiser Ontario California about removing my implants tomorrow. I am really nervous. I don't want an inexperienced doctor messing with my chest. I'm sorry if I sound vain, but I like having boobs. We're also having a pool put in and I don't want to worry about how my breasts look. I know that I have to remove these implants due to the pain, contractures, and health. I guess if the explantation improves my health, I may have a more positive outlook.

Explantation Day

I had my surgery about 13 hours ago. I am in so much pain! I have drains in both breasts and a pump slowly infusing local anesthesia into them. My breasts are bound tightly with an ace bandage that I am to wear non-stop until next Wednesday. I had to request to see my surgeon after the surgery because the nurse said they usually don't see their patients after. But I awoke with extreme pain, got it controlled, and went home around 3:30 pm yesterday. I felt good until 6:30 pm when I became dizzy, lightheaded, and had a low grade fever of 100.4*. I was home alone and afraid I would pass out so I carefully walked to my neighbor's house to wait for my husband. Thinking I was overreacting, I called the Kaiser advice nurse who told me to to the ER. So I went to Kaiser Ontario, CA emergency room. They gave me some fluid and talked to my surgeon that said it was just the anesthesia and basically, "get over it." After being in the ER for 4 hours, the pain returned, and I'm intensely anxious. So, here I am exhausted, in pain, and anxious.

Oops! I accidentally posted before finishing

I guess the pain meds are affecting my head rather than the pain. :-/ So, I'm having a hard time. To top it off, the surgeon told me I was "flat", that my breasts were "90% implant" and I have "no breast tissue" left. What's worse is that he told me in front of my father, who didn't need to know that much info. Patient confidentiality out the window. I only asked about the source of the fluid between my implant and the capsule, fearing it may be silicone, and how large my incision was. I am so depressed. Has anyone else experienced so much pain? I'm taking Norco without relief and the ER doctor didn't want to treat my pain or anxiety. I really don't like Kaiser anymore.

Post-op day 5

It's post-op day 5 and I thought I'd be feeling better by now. I know everyone heals differently and I'm no longer having neck and back pain. Yay! I don't think it's due to the pain meds because my knee is still hurting.

I see my plastic surgeon tomorrow and get my first good look at my breasts. I have peeked down my ace wrap and I'm not happy with what I see. My skin looks all wrinkled and crinkled. My plastic surgeon said I was completely flat and it looks to be true. I'm having a hard time finding padded bras in my size. I wore a 42 D prior to surgery. I'm pretty chubby, but I'm losing weight. Of course I'll have a better idea of my size tomorrow, but I think I'll be close to a 40 A. We'll see.

Has anyone tried any skin firming creams? Do they work?

Post-op day 8

I been so obsessed with reading about everyone else's journey, I haven't kept up on my own. Even if no one reads my posts, I think journaling helps.

First, I haven't posted any pictures yet because I don't want to see myself. I know that's wrong because I'd like other women to know they are not alone. Especially since my outcome isn't the norm from what I've seen. Reading the other reviews and seeing their pictures gives me mixed feelings. Jealousy. Anger. Hope.

Today is post-op day 8 and I still feel not just emotionally, but physically awful. I guess the pain is worse where the drains are. My surgeon won't remove them until I have less than 25cc of fluid out in 48 hours, per breast. I currently have an output of approximately 35cc a day per day, per breast. I also injured my knee prior to surgery and I'm disappointed that it's not improving. I want to get back into the gym as soon as the surgeon clears me, but my knee may prevent that from happening.

I know my friends mean well, but their reactions sting. Yesterday a friend said, "Wow, you don't seem to have anything left." Yeah, I already know, thank you. And after having my dressing removed on Wednesday, my other friend said, "It looks like you have some boobs there." Yeah, because I stuffed add-a-cup silicone inserts into my sports bra. I don't know when or if I'll ever show my husband my results. Sigh. Tomorrow my best friend is having a birthday party for her kids, they both have birthdays this month, and I'm not sure if I want to go. I don't know if I can tolerate the pain or the comments. Even just "the looks".

I've been reading the "mommy makeover" reviews too. It pains me to admit it, but I'm seriously considering having another BA. Yes, I know. Of course I need to heal from this first and I'm praying my health and appearance improves during that time. But if not, I feel, at least now, that I have to do something and I don't have anything to lift. Fat graphing sounds risky too. It all is! Anytime you put something in your body you take a risk. Even the food we put in our body can cause us damage.

Enough rambling. My daughter's at school, so I'm going to nap. Hoping some healing will take place while I sleep. :-)

Insurance coverage

Just a note. If you are considering breast implant removal and you have capsular contraction, rupture, leak, or pain, please let your Primary Care Physician know. Your insurance may cover the cost to have your implants removed. I have Kaiser and they do not like to pay for anything out of the norm, but I complained of severe pain in my right breast and they did an ultrasound and found the stage 4 contractures, along with the left implant rupture. Kaiser also does out-of-pocket plastic surgery procedures that can be performed at the time of removal. So check with your doctor, don't just call your insurance company, and let them know if you're having pain or discomfort too, it may save you a couple thousand dollars.

Too hot for boobs!

I wish Southern California had winter and spring! We went to a birthday party today, my first implant-free social gathering. I still have some pain and the drains are hard to hide, so I'm not sure what people thought was going on. I put silicone inserts in my sports bra and I liked how I looked. I'm pretty flat otherwise. It was 86* and my chest was terribly hot and 86* is nothing compared to our summer heat! The warmth did help the inserts mold to my chest which is comforting because I fear them falling out. But I think it'll be yucky to wear them in the summer. I know I can use bras with pockets, but can anyone recommend a cool, comfortable padded (and I mean PADDED) bra or inserts? Thank you!

2 weeks, 6 days post op

As you can see from the pics, I'm not happy how my breasts look. My surgeon says to give them 6 months to heal, but I don't think they'll change much. :-/

I'm still in a lot of pain, especially if I roll onto my side or I've been out and about for a few hours. I had the right drain removed last Friday and I still have the left. I have an appointment with the surgeon again tomorrow because I don't think I should be hurting so bad.

Has anyone had such a tough time post-op?

I stopped checking this site because I couldn't relate to anyone. Everybody seemed to report such a wonderful recovery. I don't believe this site is all about "fluff", so please be honest. I don't mean to offend and if your experience was wonderful, praise God! Thank you!
Dr. Henry