Porcelain Veneers for Peg Laterals (Small Teeth) - Flushing, NY

I've hated them for pretty much my entire adult...

I've hated them for pretty much my entire adult life for many reasons. Although I am very grateful for having pretty straight and healthy teeth overall, these two tiny teeth bothered me. It made me self conscious to smile but I would anyway. I always had a fear they would break since they were so tiny. And food easily gets stuck in between the gaps they cause. After lots of research and careful consideration, I've decided to get porcelain veneers to correct them. I am going to have my first consultation tomorrow. Once I make my decision on who I chose, I will update this with more information and hopefully help others in their journey :)

Consultation on 12/31/13

After careful consideration and researching lots of doctors over the past year, I was very happy with the responsiveness and knowledge of Dr. Richard Gochman. He had galleries of his other patients and I was very pleased on how he improved their smile with a very natural look. I had a consultation with him on 12/31/13. He and his entire staff were extremely friendly, gentle and attentive. It made my feel so much more confident and excited about going through with this! I'll be updating after I get fitted in a couple of weeks! :)

Temporaries Put In!

So today my dentist put in my temporaries. Didn't feel any pain since he numbed my gums with an injection (thats where the pain ends, its a big needle!) He shaped my peg laterals and used what I believe is a resin composite material. They look like regular teeth far away but you can tell when up close that they aren't. Pretty good for temps though. My natural color of my teeth are B1, which is the lightest shade on the Natural tooth color scale. Could have always gone for the super white bleached look but wanted natural looking teeth. My teeth are a lot whiter than this but this was the lighting in my bathroom, kind of dulls the color. I'll make sure my final pics are clear and true to color! :)

He said my porcelain veneers will look 10x times better. I will see him in two weeks to have the porcelain ones put in, so excited!

Update!

Hello everyone. So sorry I haven't gotten around to updating. Schedule has been pretty crazy! Anyway I went back to get my permanents put in. I was a little disappointed because one of the teeth he placed didn't sit right, so I had to go back in for a second time to redo my left tooth. I do appreciate that Dr. Gochman was the one who noticed it and wasn't happy with it's placement and immediately told me to come back (no charge of course) to get it redone. His whole staff was extremely friendly and gentle with me. I now have my permanent teeth in. They don't look perfectly symmetrical, but I wasn't being a stickler about that. I just wanted normal sized teeth! My smile looks 10x better now! I've attached pictures so you can see what I mean about the teeth not being exactly the same. From a distance you can't tell but up close you can. Normally I'm OCD about things like that but to me it gives me a more natural looking smile so I don't mind. If you are looking for that perfect hollywood teeth smile, you'd probably be unhappy. I'll definitely keep you guys posted on how they uphold as far as discoloring and such. I take very good care of my teeth so they shouldn't discolor! The only pain experienced was when he did the local anesthesia in my gums. After the swelling subsided I didn't notice any difference, the teeth sat perfectly in my bite as the others. Overall I'd definitely say it was worth it because now I love my smile!
Dr. Richard Gochman

So far I'm very happy with my first impression of him via email over a couple of months and finally meeting him in person. I will update more on the results of his work when its completed! :)

They are great! A natural beautiful smile, so just smile and appreciate the improvement
Your teeth look congrats!
Welcome back!  And thanks for keeping us updated :).

I had to get really close to see the difference, but now I do.  It wasn't noticeable to me, and they look perfectly natural in the close-up.  In the pics with your natural smile, yeah, I can't see the imperfection at all.

Do you think you're gonna get fixated on them?  After my Invisalign, I started noticing more and more that my teeth weren't perfect.  I'm still not sure whether I want to complain or just stop thinking about it.  :)  Everyone says I have such perfect teeth when they see them though, so I think I'm just going to call it a day!  I don't think about it except when I put in and take out my retainers.
I've been trying not to get fixated on them and probably wont make a big deal out of them. It's so hard not to get fixated when you're the one staring at them up close in the mirror! haha. But I've been getting many compliments and nobody notices it. My sister says they are fine and that I'm just obsessed with teeth. haha. So I probably will just keep it as is. If one discolors faster than the other or something, then I'll bring it up.
Sounds reasonable :D
I'm also curious as to what people think of my not so symmetrical permanent veneers. They don't really bother me TOO much however I did pay decent money to get close to perfect teeth! What do you guys think?
I also have 2 peg's. My dentist recommended Invisalighn before the Veneers. I have about six months left. Thank you for sharing!!!
No problem! My pegs rotated to face forward , thats why there was so much spacing on the sides of my smile. But my dentist said I wouldn't need invisalign since they were so small. He was able to very minimally shave them down then cover them up! Good luck to you! It's definitely worth getting the smile you want in the end :)
Great smile! Can you provide the name of the dentist?
Thank you! His name is Dr. Gochman in Flushing NY.
hi, I'm in nyc as well. I am getting a lot of pressure from dentists to put in 8= veneers when I just want veneers on my peg laterals. What dentist did you go to?
So sorry for the late reply! I went to Dr. Gochman in Flushing, NY. He didn't put any pressure on me to fix any other teeth at all. He did mention my front teeth not being completely in line with my other teeth but I was content with my front teeth. Their imperfections are barely noticable. He didnt push any further than just mentioning them. He definitely gives honest feedback and wouldn't push the issue if it didn't need to be done.
Thanks for sharing. So did your dentist recommend you having more than those 2 teeth? I went and was recommended 6
No, my other teeth are all straight and healthy, with the exception of my two front teeth. They are healthy but one is slightly further up than the other. I told my dentist I wasn't looking for a perfect set of teeth, just to correct the small ones. I like that he never pushed me or tried to "upsell" me!
I got the same color for my crown!  Do you like the new look of your teeth?  It's kinda strange cause I feel like I can't recognize you from your teeth anymore :D.  Does it make you happy seeing the size and shape of them?
It was so strange at first, I had to get use to them. But I couldn't stop staring at them. So far I'm happy with the size and shape. My gum on these small teeth are a little lower but nothing that bothers me much. Next week I get the porcelain teeth put in and I can hardly wait!! :)
Yay! :)  I can't even see the difference in your gums, but that should only help, if they're not receding, right?  All my gums are receding from the laterals through the premolars.  I hate it.  I wish I knew a way to get gums back!
I agree your smile is already very pretty. Best of luck.
Thank you so much! :)
Thank you so much for starting a review!!!  When I saw it was you, I immediately went and looked to see if the doctors had answered your question.  Nice to know they agree with me, that you have gorgeous teeth already.  Getting two veneers will be expensive, but it'll look fantastic!  You'll have that perfect toothpaste commercial smile :).  I'm so excited for you, and excited to hear about your consultations and how they go! :D

Happy New Year!
Thank you so much! I figure, if I had my fears and doubts, there are others that probably do too. So if I can share my experience why not! This website has been very helpful with calming my fears. I think the fact that my smile is *almost* perfect is what drove me crazy for years. I've been through a lot with helping others so now I'm going to treat myself. After years of consideration, I'm so excited to begin this journey! :)
Are you some sort of counselor or something?  Since you say you've been though a lot helping others?  :D

And congratulations for picking a doctor!!
No, not my day job. :) But I do volunteer my time to the homeless and animal shelters. I also do marathon runs to raise $ for cancer (especially correctal cancer, which my grandfather passed from)