Possible Scarring Post-op Fraxel Repair - Florida

I went into this procedure knowing exactly what to...

I went into this procedure knowing exactly what to expect. I chose this procedure for mild acne scarring on my cheeks, my right side being worst than my left. I had done my research, chose a board certified plastic surgeon who performed the procedure... and who has experience with the traditional CO2 laser.

I was ready for oozing, swelling, redness, laser tracks, blotchiness and rough texture. I was definately prepared. Excited and worry free. Everything went fine, perfect as far as wound healing until I began peeling.. I then noticed a depressed "patch" of skin of my left cheek... at that moment I felt worried but contiuned to stay positive thinking the rest of the skin around it would eventually peel off and even it out.

Tomorrow will be 21 days... and while the rest of my face is healing fine...this patch remains indented and different from the any other texture change on my face. I have inspected it in every lighting and it doesnot seem to change since when it first peeled. I know im still in the "healing" phase... but I feel sad and worried because in my gut I feel something is wrong.

I feel that this could be a scar... although I had no infection and was meticuolus about caring for my face post op. I have found this community to be very helpful...and if there is ANYONE who has had a similar experience please let me know... or give me hope (as my doctor says) that although he isnot sure... he believes it will go away with time. I am not rating this procedure yet....because I am hoping that it will go away. I will keep updating!! Please help!

Hello... I just wanted to wanted to update anyone reading my post..I am over 5 weeks post op... and the "mark" is still there. There has been no improvement.... aside from a slight pigment change... but I think its because the pigment on my face is changing and coming back as well. Again, the area is about the size of a coin with sharp, jagged edges.. it's depressed compared to any other area on my face with patches of skin texture around it... I'm sure that removing the excess of tissue around it would improve it... but its still deeper than everywhere else... The bottom line is that it is not level with the rest of my skin. I want to be fair and say that I have noticed a significant improvment in my acne scars... but at this point I am upset because I feel like I traded an issue with another. I will continue to update!! And if you read this... Thank you Dr. Persky for answering my question... I really appreciate it!!!
I had a bunch of skin changes to go along new, tighter skin and therefore reduced acne scarring. These changes included laser tracks, small area of hypopigmentation, and redness. It was all minor in my mind and therefore I didn't stress much about it. These all went away with time. TNS Recovery Serum is great so I recommend you apply this once a day.
Okay thank you...I will definately ask my doctor about the TNS recovery serum. He is having me use 7% hydroquinone and 3.7% retin A.... its thier own combination. I am having a lot of texture issues.... I seem to have patches of overlapping skin.... ( I did not have this prior to the procedure) The mark that I have my biggest concern for.... is also on my left cheek and seems to be skin that is peeled deeper than the rest of the surface. Ironically my left cheek used to be my good cheek!!! ... My right cheek was my bad one.. mostly affected by my acne scarring. As I mentioned before in my post.... rough skin, laser tracks, redness... ect I was prepared for!! But this awful texture and this mark was definately something I wasnot prepared for.

Hello to everyone... it has been awhile since I...

Hello to everyone... it has been awhile since I have updated and would just like to share my experience 9 months out of fraxel repair.
I wish I could say that all healed fine and that im happy with my results but unfortunately that is not the case.
At 6 months given that the patch of skin near my laugh line had still not healed I went back to my doctor and told him I wanted to fix it.
He suggested I do the fraxel dual. He charged me for this at a "discounted" price which I came to find out, there was no discount at all. But I went ahead and had 2 procedures. The first was done meticulously....and I saw improvement... so I went ahead and went through with the other one.
The second one was rushed and to make a long story short I now have all sorts of laser damage all over my cheek bones where I previously had healthy skin. (minor acne scarring only on cheeks)
I am completely devastated! what hurts the most was that I did not seek help for a vanity issue... but rather to fix a problem that came
all of a sudden and left its marks completely turning my life upside down. (I developed acne as an adult)
All I wanted was to feel better about myself.
I want to tell people that I did do my reseach on the these procedures, I did do my research on the doctor... but when things go wrong
you are left on your own.... Not acknowledging the damge (its in your head)... buying time and sending you home with a tube or retin a and hydroquinione. After 9 months and bringing me to complete despair...he admitted that he doesnt know what went wrong and how to help me. Im left asking myself....then what the hell were you treating with the dual.
In additon my after pictures were blurred... because what is worse now is the cheek that barely had acne scarring.
words cannot express how sad I am. I hope to find a doctor who cares that can help me with my face and with this torment.

Hello, to anyone reading...and imput and word of...

Hello, to anyone reading...and imput and word of comfort would be so appreciated
I know other people have and are experiencing what I am but I still feel alone
With no one that relates to my situation. Thursday morning I reported my entire experience to
Solta- makers of fraxel. I have had an awful burning sensation on left cheek- extending frommy cheek
Bone- to my nose and half way down my cheek.
My doctor and his staff dismissed me once again-saying there is
Nothing more that they can do, because they have no idea what's going on.
And suggested a light moisturizer or OTC hydrocortizone cream.
How can they give u a procedure, destroy your face, take no responsibility and leave
You alone In despair... trying to find someone else who could possibly guess what went wrong and
Try to help you?? In what kind of sick society do we live in??
Luckily yesterday a derm gave me a perscription of biafine which over night has helped the burning feeling by 50%
I wish I could have gotten it sooner- I'm 2 months post my second dual. My face has a piece of skin missing.
I was burned! Someone please tell me something. I am so very sad.

I had a TCA done 6 weeks.  I'm having another in a couple of weeks.  My color improved greatly. I've also seen great texture improvement.   I'm certain fillers are in my future but I am hopeful.

Have you tried daily shaving?   It is the poor man's dermsanning but it is effective.  My peel Derm has me shaving everyday, using a compound of Retin A and hydroquinone every night.  I live in the deep Sputh and the sun is brutal but I've had no rebounding.

Hi fsrb,
Thank you for responding!
I'm so happy that you
are getting improvement! I'm sure you will get where and you want to be and put this nightmare behind you. It's so nice of you to say what's been working for u....and it's even nicer to hear that our treatment plans are similar. I will actually start with the peels on the 25th starting with lactic and then working up to tca. But better safe than sorry so for now baby steps. The last thing anyone would want to do is to make matters worse. To answer your question yes, shaving the skin is beneficial...that is dermaplanning or epidermal leveling. I donot do it on my own but will have that done before the peel so it can penetrate the skin more evenly. I've had it done once and liked it much more than a microdermabrasion. Thank you again for being so helpful...and sharing your treatment plan.... Not just for me but for anybody in our situation reading this.
Hi Fsrb,
I want to thank you for commenting on my post! I looked at your pics and your damage is similar to mine except for the fact that I have a huge outlined depressed (due to fatloss) area of damaged texture extending from the bridge of my nose all the way to the corner of my eye and extending half way down my cheek. Its horrible! I felt the laser repeatedly go over that area... so needless to say...I was burned. I am now a little over four months out. I have been using the obagi nu derm and my skin is getting lighter and trying to blend in as it is healing. I want to say that feel blessed to have found a caring doctor and his caring nurse to help me get better. So far I have had a light dermaplanning... because of all the uneven texture I have on my face and we have a treatment plan which will consist of peels... beginning with light and working our way up. I think the worst part in being damaged from lasers... is to first off find a doctor who is willing to admit that there is INFACT damage...and then lucky enough that he/she will be able to know how to help. I will be taking my doctor to court... I was initially damaged scarred near my left nasal labial fold from the repair- then to fix it..the second dual just destroyed my skin. I was stupid..it was the same doctor... and he made me pay for the 2 treatments. There are so many discrepancies in my chart... my attorney said its just too easy and just a tip for all you out there... I recorded my doctor 2 times completely contradicting himself about my treatment... and that is what will "get him" its the very least. when you are damaged....they will give you the run around, they will buy time hand you a tube of retin a and tell you its pigment and tell you its "still healing" when we all know and feel something is terribly wrong. And then blow you off...call thier other collegues in the area and tell them not to treat you. Yes, that has happened to me. I was denied...a consultation that I would have had to pay..because the truth is that doctors know doctors. Im so sad that there is so many of us my heart goes out to all of you.

Its been 8 months since my 2nd fraxel dual...

Its been 8 months since my 2nd fraxel dual treatment... and all I want to say is that these treatments have destroyed my face and my life.

Not much has changed.

Well its been awhile. I have gotten a tca peel and a vi peel and continue with with dermaplanning and lighter peels every 4 weeks. I have seen an improvement in the sense that my face no longer looks like a quilt but the damage is still there. The rectangle, the lines ect.
I have spoken to many doctors over the course of this turmoil...i do believe people obtain good results when the treatments are done conservatively...but most of us that damaged unfortunately underwent these procedures with butchers who have no business using these machines. My "treatment" was rushed and i was burned which resulted in laser scars.
My heart goes out to anyone in my situation.
Does anyone else ever get better from this?! After searching and searching I am losing hope and I am realizing this is probably a life sentence for me. I just thought I was doing something harmless. It breaks my heart.
Thanks for updating. I'm sorry you did not have complete healing. Can you fill the depression with filler? Are the "laser scars" hypopigmented? I've had some great success with my damage except for the hypopigmentation. I'm now trying Latisse on them but I believe they are permanent.
Hi fsrb, Long time!! So happy to hear you've had improvement. Can you please tell me what it is that you did exactly to get this improvement? No I don't have any hypopigmentation. I have actual scarring the rectangle is still there and it's an actual indentation and other laser scarring on my right cheek. With these peels I've had an dermaplanning I have had improvement. Before I felt my face looked like an actual quilt. Still going with consistent but nothing aggressive mentality. :-) Hope to hear from you soon.