34 Year Old - Florida, FL

I used Dr. Roger Khori horrible doctor after...

I used Dr. Roger Khori horrible doctor after reading he was the pioneer of fat grafting I decided to go with him. when went into Dr. Khouri's office for the procedure, .After I had entered the Operating Room, I was told by the nurse that I was to undergo general anesthesia and would be asleep in a matter of seconds.When I woke up from the procedure, I was in excruciating pain. I could not move my whole body. I was unable to walk or go to the bathroom. I had a firefighter lift me up to my hotel room. I felt nauseous for days. I vomited and could not keep food in my stomach.
I woke up fully numb and so sick like I was in a serious accident ... I asked for a simple fat transfer and instead he pulled my skin to enlarge me making it hard to stand strait .he also took fat from places like my butt which he not told me he would do. I am still in pain having a hard time using my hands i used to do 50 pushups a day, now i cant lift my hands ... it makes me cry alot. i also have alot of numbness in an few places, including my leg and breasts and between my breasts a pocket of fluid that is numb....I contacted the Miami Breast Center after doing hours of research for an alternative to breast implants. The fat transfer procedure advertised by Dr. Khouri as a simple non-invasive out-patient procedure. I am so deeply depressed from this , only G-d can lift my spirit and heal me..
. I was interested in a simple fat transfer, The surgery I underwent was very complex. I have numbness still in my leg that im undergoing tests if there is nerve damage. On my post-operative consultation, they put a hard cast applied with a glue gun, which made my skin burn for several days thereafter. and after all this I have to breasts that are 2 different sizes cause he used me as an experiment and put the splint on each breast different
anyone that wants to contact me I am willing to show them I don't want anyone else to go through this hell

here are the pictures I promised

Link at my beauty mark from before the surgery that how I know he pulled my skin....

cast i wore for 3 weeks

wore this for 3 weeks

Update :(

Dr Roger khouri, performed two procedures on me without my consent and I am now living with excruciating pain. I believe I am the victim of malpractice.

I am a 34 year old mother of three. I was athletic, trim, and happy with my figure--but I didn't like the effect that nursing had on my breasts. So, in January 2014, I flew from NYC to Miami, FL, to have the renown Dr. Khouri give me a "natural breast augmentation", in which the surgeon takes fat from one area of the body, and transfers it to the breasts.

Dr. Khouri did give me a fat transfer Breast Augmentation. But Instead of ONLY doing the surgery I asked for, Dr. Khouri also performed a "flap" procedure, called RAFT (Reverse Abdominalplasty With Fat Transfer). During the procedure, the doctor made dozens to hundreds of needle pricks, wherein he separated (ripped) the skin from my underlying tissues, pulled it up, and created a new breast fold. This procedure, to which I never gave consent, has only recently been used to reconstruct mastectomy patients' breasts. Unfortunately, Dr. Khouri's experiment to augment my new breasts with skin from my belly, has failed. And now my breasts look deformed.

But I'm not done yet! Dr. Khouri, implanted me with a permanent, suture device made out of BARBED polyester mesh so that he could artificially lift his newly created breasts. Again, he did this WITHOUT my consent.

The makers of the Refine mesh implant (see refinemedical.com) advertise that the patient can not feel the presence of the device. On the contrary, from the moment I wake up, to the time I fall asleep, the Refine implant causes me so much pain, that's it's essentially turned me into an invalid.

Fat transfer Breast Augmentation has become a mainstream procedure. Many doctors perform the surgery and it typically gives lovely results. Unfortunately, however, Dr. Khouri experimented on me and did a procedure meant for mastectomy patients, that failed, and thus ruined the natural shape of my breasts. Worse than that, he implanted me, without my knowledge, with a permanent medical device that causes unending pain.

I used to be very athletic, but now I can't even do simple tasks. For example, I now have to ask my children to get things off of shelves, because it causes me too much agony to reach for things
Miami Plastic Surgeon

I included a picture when I startd using brava and a picture of results one came out a bit smaller not sure if you can see in photo but over all my pain is still crazy

Miagirl: I am so sorry for the abuse and attacks you are experiencing on your review lately. However, I want you to be aware that your honesty is beneficial for us who come to this site. I thank you so much for your review, and I know not to go to Dr. Khouri.
Hey Ilovebreast , Your so sweet, Thanks for that !
Everyone!!!!!!!--HappyRecon just admitted to doing damage control for Dr. Khouri. She wrote, "the reason we post is so that others who have lost their breasts have a chance to regain their sense of normalcy." We all know that Khouri isn't the only doctor who can do reconstruction, nor the only one who does the RAFT procedure, which we've been saying all along, That. We. NEVER. Wanted. During the RAFT procedure, the surgeon(s) uses hundreds of needle sticks to RIP the upper-abdominal skin away from it's connected tissue below, pull it up, and sew it into a new position. Ouch! I invite you ladies to look back at my review and view my red and black needle-prick laden torso in my post op pictures. That blatantly graphic picture PROVES that the pain associated with this procedure would never feel ANYTHING like post exercise pain. HappyRecon, I think you would make a good Doctore (gladiator trainer). It "does NOT hurt. You are just a wimp!", says the Doctore, before unleashing the leather whip........HappyRecon said, "most women, return back to regular life after a week." And "Everyone has a different pain threshold" HappyRecon You are so good at changing the subject. You sound suspiciously like expired memeber (?) Anotherview and HappyIchoseFatGrafting. We edperienced pain from lipo. It's normal for a living organism to react in a certain way when trauma has been done to it. Inserting metal cannulas into several different sites, then rigorously thrusting it in-and-out of the body in all different directions, SHOULD result in post operative pain. And if you only felt pain for only 24 hours then I think you have some SERIOUS nerve issues/ neurological problems. So perhaps you should get checked by a neurologist. Your problem may be bigger than you think. Regardless of your spin doctoring attempts to change the topic, we gals asked for lipo, to precede fat transfer and we knew it would hurt. We're not ranting about that. We are angry because we did not ask nor agree to anything ELSE. PERIOD. Last, you said, "What a unique thread this is.......you all must have the worst experiences ever. You are all very special ladies indeed." By special do you mean stupid? Look in the mirror woman. Quite the contrary--we are NOT unique. We are four botched victims of your fabulous surgeon. Those statistics are scary and SHOULD be causing your knees to shake.
Flat2fake2free'n'fab - stating my purpose for posting (giving a positive review of a procedure that could restore a woman who lost her breasts to BC) is "damage control?" Say what???? You are using quotes to imply doctors say things that you are actually writing on here. You AGAIN claim my pain experience is a false and a lie. You suggest I get checked by a neurologist because my pain level wasn't what YOU want it to be? Because I was a revision patient, I had a total of FOUR (4) fat grafting surgeries to restore my breasts. My pain levels and recovery were similar for each and every one. Obviously my first procedure was more involved and discomfort was highest for that one. I was still walking around my neighborhood two days later. I was still doing leg exercises as much as I could. The pain, even for that first rebuilding procedure was nowhere NEAR what you are ladies are posting here. My FOUR to each of your INDIVIDUAL procedures. I'm sorry you don't have perfect results. I also know that some things take perseverance to not just get through but to prevail. I do have a fabulous surgeon and your constant attacks will not change the facts that he performed miracles on me and hundreds of women. Not sure what you meant comparing me to Anotherview and HappyIchoseFatGrafting. I don't know them but they seem happy with their results and choose to share their experiences so others who come here can know that this is possible. I'm sure their desire to help others got squashed by all the negativity.
I was so sad that I hadn't been told this surgery will cause so much pain. I asked will I be fine if I return back to school after this surgery. The nurse and the doc's assistant told me yes. Can anybody imagine that I went back to school with so much pain 15 days after this surgery? I was cheated! It's not because of eveybody has a different reaction. It's everyone's pain.
Americandreamgirl1, the pain is something that cannot be described ,you fell crippled, it's just hell!!! I appreciate all the people that continue to be sympathetic towards us :)
There is a thread called Liposuction Recovery here on RealSelf. I suggest anyone who considers this procedure educate themselves about the typical recovery time and pain. Several surgeons give excellent advise. Read what Dr. Jeffrey Hall posted. Dr. William Stockel. Dr. Frank Lista. Dr. Kelly Gallego.......there are lots of posts. It is a very helpful and informative thread.
I've learned a great deal of good information on this thread regardless of the tones of the post. While not all information that applies to me, I hope it is something I can remember and help someone else with if they face some of the decisions/struggles/problems that have been shared here. Miagirl, I am not acquainted with the Refine Mesh -- I had Alloderm done with my 3rd set of implants, and they act like an underwire but the DNA actually changes in them to be yours. They are not "foreign" to your body. I don't know if that's an option at your surgeon's. I had to do an Appeal to my insurance to get it paid for (which I won, yeah me!) and my surgeon used that experience and my documentation to get it paid for on his other BC recons that needed it. Juanacampana, thank you for posting such informative information. Something to think about. One of my dear friends had pelvic mesh done for prolapse, and it did not work out well for her. But that was her singular situation. Thanks for all of you being a support, and caring that others have the benefit of your experiences, good bad or otherwise! It is all about having enough precise information (and enough perspectives) to make the best decision for yourself that you can!
Hey AnnieG522, Thank you for your kind post and sharing your info here with the girls. Yes we can be helped by the experiences of others ! It's up to each individual to decide what information seems logical and appropriate for their unique situation and use it, it at least gives us an opportunity to be discerning . Thank you
Miagirl, I looked up the patent information on the Refine Mesh. I now understand why you and Flat2 are suffering. The Refine mesh does in fact have barbs and what are also called blunt rods. It appears (I am no physician) that the mesh is attached to the clavicle with that dastardly staple that Flat2 showed on her blog. The mesh has several barbed "lines" (like fishing line filament) that run the length of the breast from the clavicle to wherever the doctor attached them beneath your breast, in your case, in your upper abdomen. I guess the idea was to lift your abs and create a more uplifted breast appearance….I honestly don't know. But, on the patent information, it says it is minimally invasive. I don't see how that is possible. To access all the areas of the breast that the refine mesh is used as shown in the diagrams on the patent page, there would have to be some serious "invasion" to get to the area near the cleavage from the cuts Flat2 showed on the sides of her body. According to the diagrams on the patent page, the filaments of mesh are sewn into thick breast tissue with needles and over time the breast tissue grows into the Refine mesh filament. The positioning shown of the placement of the barbed filaments looks like it would be near many nerve endings. It is extremely scary looking. All of this said, it appears that you had no idea that this medical device was going to be inserted into you. That is just plain wrong. Furthermore, the purpose of this device is to lift ptotic (sagging) breasts. There are other acceptable and less invasive manners of breast lift. The most common is the lollipop lift which results in the vertical scar. More and more physicians are now using the Benelli lift which involves cutting around the aureolas and removing tissue to lift the breasts. This results in basically invisible scars. My concern for you and Flat2 and anyone else who has this mesh in their bodies who are experiencing pain is that it was sewn into areas where nerves are sensitive. I also am concerned that it is growing into your tissue. I wonder if it can be removed without further trauma, but if your tissue is growing into the mesh, it might be very difficult to get it out. Just a layman's thought…but OMG, how could he put this into you when there are less invasive ways to lift a breast? For Flat2, she wanted implants removed, i.e., the removal of a foreign substance from her body. To put another foreign body (polypropylene or some other man made material) into the breast after only wanting fat grafted seems wrong. To the women out there that want implants removed because they have capsular contraction or possible autoimmune related issues due to the body "rejecting" the implant, the replacement with another "foreign" item is a very strange approach. It appears that the patent on Refine was in 2009. I know you have your hands full with pain and kids and life, but you already know that the short term effects of this have been extremely painful…the long term effects are unknown….something to think about.
Hey Juanacampana, WOW , That is amazing information. Thank you for posting that for our girls here . I was thinking something was put inside Miagirls breast because she kept saying it, she could feel it, must feel like barbed wire in their , My goodness, I really hope someone close by can help her take action, and even help her physically to get thru it.
Omg, I'm crying, what kind of test would it show up on , MRI, or regular x ray
Oh Miagirl, I am so sorry. I know you did not knowingly consent to having a device put inside you. I really don't know what test it would show up on. I think the patent says it is made out of polyester or some other man made material so it probably would not show on x-ray. After you posted that you found out about the Refine, I looked it up on a patent site. It is not supposed to cause pain if the procedure is done properly. But one only has to look at your photos to know he didn't do the procedure right. You didn't even need a true lift I don't think…but what do i know. The Refine tightens around the breast and pulls the breast upward and is held in place by a suture into the clavicle. When I look at one of your pictures, I wonder if he "strangled" that breast with the Refine filament. It is so hard to know. I don't think that there are lots of docs out there using Refine yet, but they are jumping on the bandwagon that it is the next best thing. Some plastic surgeons are posting that it is just too early to know if it is a safe and appropriate tool for fat grafting to the breast. I have looked at so many boobs on Realself now that I am developing a new sense of what society, the media and the medical community have done to all of us women…it is mentally draining. I wish I could do something to help you. I know you have not found answers yet. I will be here for you as a sounding board. I am hoping that someone who has had a lift with Refine could start a thread and let us know about their results.
Hey Miagirl , I'm not sure but maybee it'll show on an ultrasound . And that's easy to get, I would go to emergency room and tell them your pain is unbearable tell them it feels like something is inside stabbing you, or however you describe it, ask then if an altar sound can see what's in their.
Ultra sound is better then MRI
Good luck to you. If you decide to sue him for malpractice I really hope you win and can somehow get your life back...
I would like to clarify something that keeps being said: 1St I don’t believe that anyone has told someone to get breast implants during this discussion. But, if a member decides that she is interested in getting breast implants that is really her business, not yours or mine. There have been reviews and comments made to members on other sites, but not this one. On another site, I have read someone say to a member thinking of getting implants. I got implants many years ago and I am very sorry that I did. There were not the options, back then, that you have now. You will at some time need to have additional surgery and you can always develop complications, but, it was always done in a very nice and respectable way to that member. I do believe that Dr. Khouri does breast implants. 2nd, I do not believe that anyone has told any member not to have fat grafting or to not have Lipo, or that anyone is trying to scare women. Speaking for myself, I find it wonderful that this is being offered to women today. It is truly amazing to see where technology has taken us. One, of you wrote, that it is laughable to say that someone would have fluid draining for at least 5 days. It, also has been said, that it is no big deal and you should be ok in a couple of days. Again, I don’t know if that was said in the heat of the moment. But I have read many reviews by different women that had fat transfer surgery and none of them said in there reviews that it was no big deal and they went anywhere in a couple of days. Many of those women were hardly able to walk to the bathroom, or get out of bed. As I have stated before, I have read many reviews, and I have never seen a member who wrote something negative about their surgeon, ever be attacked, especially like these ladies have been. I would like to believe… that much of what you have written, has been out of passion from your own personal journey.
Hey love pink , Great comment ! Hey Miagirl , look at all your supporters here hun !! We are behind you !! Keep your head up !!'
Lovepink, I think you and Blutee have served a very loving, kind reminder that our perceptions are very true & real to us. Each of my surgeries (partial mastectomy & then double mastectomy) were extraordinarily different. Each of my implant surgeries ( initial, replacement after PBM, replacement for wrong size after they settled, and now this one) have been very different. Some things in each of them were, from my point of view, very difficult but in retrospect, looking at the fact of what was done, probably about right. We are talking about removing body parts, moving our body parts to new locations, and putting foreign things under our muscles, all with a knife wielding person doing the work while we are out on medication. Of course the wake up is a surprise; my drains aggravated me terribly -- no painful, just in the darn way all the time. With the PBM I had 4 drains. Finally took 2 out at home (NOT RECOMMENDED). Didn't hurt, but I am not as "clean" as the physician's office. Anyway, you are correct that our passions move us -- both to do the procedures, regardless of the need, and how we face our recoveries. Like you, in my "early" cancer experience, the choices were very very limited, and I sadly believed cancer would not return after 5 yrs., although no one told me that. These groups are very important to help one another through it. The world throws enough junk our way, and we need to lift each other up :) Just "Annie think"!
Let me clarify as well: There are lots of reviews of women who have had fat grafting and it was NOT a big deal to them. Probably not on this site but on others that are more specific to fat grafting to the breast. I have posted over and over again, that I compare the lipo pain to muscle soreness after a super intense workout. Yes it is messy for the first day or so but most women, return back to regular life after a week. Some women heal faster some slower. The worst thing someone can do is be inactive as moving encourages healing but also aids in the draining/leaking. Again - searching for a more specific fat grafting site would yield more patient stories, photos and information. The reason those of us who have had positive experiences are so passionate about the procedure as well as our surgeon is simply that we know what is possible. Our lives have been transformed, our bodies restored. Something most of us didn't think possible. If the surgeon's name weren't being mentioned, we would still post but not as vehemently. Attacking a person, calling them names, questioning their motives and capabilities is wrong. We stand by our surgeon and will defend him because of our never-ending gratitude. Not just has this surgeon been personally attacked, we have as well. I won't stand for someone questioning or attacking my integrity. Period. Take all the personal attacks out of your posts and this thread might have a chance of being a helpful resource instead of the nasty battleground it currently is. We all reap what we sow.
Happyrecon.... You haven't noticed there are 4 of use not 3 , bright also has the same double bubble so he must know that he is making a mistake in his surgery
Happy recon, you can compair your pain to exersize pain if that's how it felt to you. But you must realize it's unrealistic to expect someone else to feel the same pain as you also taking into consideration that different things occurred in the same surgery procedure Of you want to compair lipo to muscle soreness then that is how it was for you. But it won't be the same pain level for another person and being that other issues could have occurred durring the procedure also and being that you were not present durring the procedure of others it is not logical to conclude that your pain would set the bar for others