Double Vision with Botox - Florida

I wanted to look good as I was seeing a friend...

I wanted to look good as I was seeing a friend whom I hadn't seen in 10 years so vanity took over and I had botox around the eyes one week before visit. Three days after the injections I woke up with double vision that was 2 weeks ago. I am wearing a patch over one eye just so I can work. I was told that the botox migrated into the eye muscle and I should see improvement within several weeks. If not, it could be 3 months. Never again would I do botox. It is not worth it. Have you heard of this problem with botox?

It has been 2 months since I had the botox and...

It has been 2 months since I had the botox and unfortunately had the side effect of double vision. I am probably 60% better and have double vision with distance but I can finally use the computer without a patch and read, which I could not do. Still need patch for driving. Spoke with a female doctor who also had botox and also had side effects and she said it probably will take 6 months before I am close to 100% improved.

It is three months to the day when I had botox...

It is three months to the day when I had botox around the eyes and suffered double vision. Had to wear a patch and honestly it was hell. Approximately 3 weeks ago I started to see an improvement and did not need the patch when I was at home except for watching tv. Last night was the first night I did not need the patch for tv and this morning I drove to work without the patch. My eye sight is still fuzzy but at last I am becoming somewhat normal again. No more botox for me. I love my eye wrinkles!!!

I still have slight blurry vision, with right eye...

I still have slight blurry vision, with right eye but I do not need to wear the patch. It was exactly 3 months to the day when my vision returned and no double vision. Would I ever do botox again. No way.

I had the SAME problem with blurry/double vision after botox. It started to subside after 2 months, but the Botox did not touch my crows feet. Some of the Dr's on here MUST know a way to inject the Botox without having blurry and/or double vision. At least if we can find out so that this does not happen again, the Dr's can advise us so we can tell our Dr's the best position to inject the Botox.
Joy - I have had blurry vision since I had botox injected for my 11 lines November 23rd. Some days are better than others but my vision has never been so bad that I had to wear a patch. I had everything under my brow droop the night after I had the botox and it was not until a couple of weeks later that I started having vision trouble. I went to my opthamologist and he said that my eyes were extremely dry and he thought my vision should go back to normal once the botox wore off. In addition to vision trouble, I've had a whole bunch of other problems. I just passed the 90 day mark and although I feel better, I still look awful. Vision is much better though most of the time now. I would never have botox again either. Spend money to get rid of two little lines only to be sick and freaky looking and have tons more wrinkles below my brow for months? SO NOT WORTH IT!
I totally understand what you have and still are going through. Although I do not have to wear the patch, I still have problems with blurry vision in my right eye. I see better when it is cloudy and not bright out. It was hell and when I called the manufacturer they just put me off like I was crazy suspecting botox. My doctors wanted me to go for MRI's and some even tried to tell me that it was MS. I lived a nightmare for 3 months. Best of luck and let me know how you are doing.

Joyce
It's so weird how differently it affects people. One night coming home from work I couldn't read the street signs in my neighborhood. The next night I couldn't see the difference in the white words and the green background. A couple of days later I couldn't see my iPhone without reading glasses but it was still blurry. That's when I went to my opthamologist. Today fine and dandy, although I probably did/do need a slightly stronger prescription for reading glasses :). Distance no problem and I can read street signs.

I was referred to a neurologist, told by a nurse I probably had diabetes because of the sudden change in vision, put on medication for high blood pressure which was not necessary, told by my plastic surgeon there was nothing wrong with me because he hadn't heard of my side effects and he thought I looked the same, told by the plastic surgeons on this site anything from I needed emergency medical attention because I was having a stroke to everything would wear off with the Botox. I spoke to Allergan twice and they actually said pretty much all of my side effects had been reported and I just had to wait until it wore off. They said it "should" wear off and would not guarantee it would, which was what made me come to this site. I looked at the warnings before I got toxed, but they certainly didn't say anything about if you have a reaction, you probably will have a whole bunch of side effects!

After all these different opinions I finally looked on Allergan's US and UK websites at their warning and medication guide and looked up the medical terms I didn't know. Every side effect I have had is there. They may be uncommon but they have been reported enough that the FDA is requiring Allergan to list them. Also checked out FDA and NIH. They are there too.

I told my GP I was not taking the BP medication until this junk is out of my system. I've been home monitoring and it's averaging 122/80 so I could have been on medication I don't need probably for the rest of my life.

My opthamologist actually was the most helpful. He said he had not heard of my symptoms but since they don't do botox at his office he wasn't surprised. He told me to come back when the botox was no longer in my system and he would check my reading glasses prescription but he didn't want to give me a prescription until my vision had stabilized. He did give me a temporary RX for distance only if I really needed it (which I haven't).

What makes this nightmare worse is all these people telling you it can't be because of the botox. I think 99.99% of the time IT"S THE BOTOX!

I recently found an active thread on this site about one of the horrible side effects I have. Check out "Botox went wrong - Ptosis (Drooping) fo the Eyes / Cheeks / Mouth are possible side effects!!!" Some of the girls on the thread have been having problems for over a year. Scroll to the bottom for the most recent posts. I spent 3 hours Saturday reading from the beginning. It will make you feel thankful you only had to wear an eye patch! I am so glad to finally have people to talk to who are having some of the same problems. Please keep in touch, Joyce!
My side effects hit 3 days after getting the botox. I definitely know I have to change my prescription for distance because it is still blurry so I go back on the 21st of March. My opthamologist didn't want to change my prescription until the botox was out of my system and it will be 5 months. My eyes now are very dry and I have to use drops. It was horrible driving wearing a patch. I almost hit a man on a bike. I spoke with a doctor who had used botox over a year ago and she is still not totally recovered. I thought I was going crazy and I was crazy for using botox. Keep in touch. Let me know how you are doing.
It is now one month and still wearing a patch. Have seen slight improvement with double vision but not enough that I can keep this dang patch off. I keep hoping that I will wake up and be cured but it seems like I may be in for another 2 months. Hopefully the botox will be out of my system within 3.

Thanks for the update Joy. Yes, I to hope it will be out soon, I'm glad you did find some people who are dealing with the same thing, thus providing support.

Keep us updated,

-Britt

I'm so sorry you did not have a positive experience with botox. I haven't gotten botox but I'm thinking about it.

Hi South,

When are you considering getting Botox?

Hi Joy,

I look all over our Q&A for answers to your question but could not find anything, so I posted your question, I'm sure there are other community members out there who have had a similar experience. Are your eyes at least looking as you had hoped they would? Thanks for the review and please keep us updated.

-Britt

The eyes look good, no crows feet. Too bad no one can see both eyes with this patch on. I called Allergan about this side effect and they were not helpful at all. I am just hoping someone else has experienced this and can at least ease my mind. I keep saying I did this to myself. Everyone I talk to keeps saying this will be temporary but how long is temporary.

Hi Joy,

Well, at least the physical results were good. As for the double vision, our doctor community is usually pretty quick to answer questions so hopefully they will be able to provide some insight. Don't blame yourself, we all want to look our best, many people have great experiences with Botox and you never know how your body will react. I'm sure everything will turn out great. Do you have to wear the patch to see your friend? Please keep me updated.

-Britt

Yes, I am wearing this patch now 2 weeks. I have read so many articles on botox in the past 2 weeks and the eye doctor said my eyes are not working together, out of alignment due to the muscle not responding like the other eye. She gave me a thorough exam and found nothing. My vision is good in both eyes but I just have double vision when trying to use both eyes. I read about botox being used in the muscle for alignment and it mentions 12 weeks so that is what I am thinking it is going to take to get better.

Well, it's been what 2 weeks now and they said you could be better in 12? So that is 10 weeks more you have to wait, till your eye is supposed to be better? That's no fun, (I know obviously Britt ;) ) Hopefully it will be sooner. Please keep me updated.

Thanks,