Delayed Reaction to Radiesse - Florida

I had Radiesse injected almost a month ago. This...

I had Radiesse injected almost a month ago. This was done to fill the wrinkles and lines around my mouth. There was very little swelling and only one tiny bruise.

After three weeks plus of feeling ten years younger, I woke up with terrible itching in the injected areas. I went to say something to my husband and he said to call the doctor immediately! When I looked in the mirror I was extremely swollen, with large red patches at the injection site. My doctor is wonderful about this. She has done thousands of Radiesse injections and mine is only the second delayed reaction. The Prednisone brought the swelling down to about half what it was. My fear is if it will return once I'm off the Prednisone.

The company and my doctor both said it is a reaction from the Radiesse.

My marionette lines as well as the lines above my...

My marionette lines as well as the lines above my upper lip are much more visible this week because the swelling is gone. My doctor has called me and did warn me the swelling could return at any time once I'm off the Prednisone. Now I'm afraid to make any advance plans to go away or even meet friends for lunch etc. The swelling was rapid and caused my face to look like I had inserted a salad plate into my mouth. It also pushed my cheek fat up under my eyes which prevented me from seeing. All I can do is pray it doesn't return. I was informed that staying on Prednisone can be dangerous. Never again will I use any injectable.

My doctor has a great reputation and now I know why. She responded to my "panic" call immediately and I was seen by her as soon as I walked into her office. She called the company doctor,sent me for blood work,called the drugstore for my prescription, had me come back the next day and did a followup today.

Hi murphlaw,

Welcome to the Radiesse community. Thanks for turning your comment into a review, this will be very helpful for the community. It almost sounds like you had an allergic reaction, which is not fun at all, especially since you were happy with your procedure initially. Have you asked your doctor what will happen if you go off the medicine? You also might want to check out the forum post, Bruising and Swelling 6 months after Radiesse. Maybe the other community members in there could lend some info. Please keep us updated.

Thanks so much for the review,

-Britt