Chin Implant - Florida, FL

I have always disliked how my chin melts right...

I have always disliked how my chin melts right into my neck. Originally I went to my ps for alittle botox and casually inquired about my chin. Surgeon said, sure we can put a small or med implant in with alittle lipo to define chin area. Boom!!! . quote given.. i was so anxious and quickly put deposit for a march date..

As the pre op apt came quickly approaching I had many questions. I was reading more and more about the procedure. I called and asked if I could just come in for a re consult regarding my implant. As you may recall I never really had a proper consult the first time, I realize this was partially my fault.

Staff said it would be no problem, to just wait until my pre op and the dr would answer my concerns or questions at that time. So I waited.

Day of pre op. the questions flowed to my surgeon. He answered them all. One I was really concerned about he does the intra oral route to avoid scarring. I asked if he ever had infections occur in any prior pts. He said no. They give antibiotics along with pain medication and chin strap. He also screws in the implant to avoid displacement.

I worry about the common concerns like nerve damage. Some of the surgeons on this site suggested neck lift but he told me i didn't need one. I will trust his option as he is board certified and preformed many implants.

After talking with him he advised i wait until after my vacation for surgery. Do to we are going zip lining and horseback riding.. Hence you have to wear helmet..

I'm still a bit nervous and anxious and wanted to share my story and post some before photos. Will update soon

Confused!

Well tomorrow is my pre op! I've read your comments about not needing implant :/

At times I feel the same but other times I think it's the right thing to do for long term results. I will talk with dr about the neck tightening as he is planning on doing the lipo anyways..

I either encounter people who love their implant or hate it.. It makes it so hard for me to decide if its best to do.. After talking with Dr he said a small will be likely used along with lipo. I originally asked about a lower neck lift, he said I didn't need it that lipo should give good result.. I mean he could have said yea and I would be paying more for necklift then implant.

He's going to let me look at the different implants and see some before and after pics of prior pts. I'm going to grill him again on some of the things you all have posted. I defiantly want to know how this may change my frontal view as well. Thank you all for your feedback it's truly appreciated !

Few more before pics

Just wanted to share a photo of the side that really bothers me. My frontal view I can deal with. Just not this

Day of Surgery

My procedure was scheduled for 11am. Dr was running a bit behind. They brought me back hooked me up to IV with lactated ringer solution drip and pushed a antibiotic thru IV. The anesthesiologist came in to see me went over my medication he would be giving me thru surgery. Which was twilight sedation. Versed. They also give pain med which was dilaudid, which I don't like at all,had it for my sciatic pain before. So he gave me an alternative pain med. plus gave something for nausea. My surgeon came to chat about what we would be doing again and asked if I had any questions. I was walked back into the OR with the RN. Laid down and after he put that in my IV ..lights out. I was in surgery for 40 min. I woke up in the OR,still bait groggy but I remember asking questions :) they wheeled me to recovery were I sat for 30min or so. Compression garment was on with another garment over that to hold ice. The right side of my lip is numb, to be expected this early. The incision in my mouth is whats sore. So I'll have to force some jello with my antibiotic tonight :)

24 hrs post op

I didn't sleep much last night. I knew if I laid in my bed I wouldn't stay elevated enough so I laced in the recliner all night. I dosed on and off and kept icing all night. When I did wake up my chin all the way down my jawline was very very stiff and hurt. Talking even hurt. I did venture into the shower and snapped a few pics. I wasn't as swelled as I thought but I'm bruised. I applied the arnica Montana and will see if that helps over the next few days. I'm still icing to try and keep swelling at bay. Still can't eat. just drinking protein shakes, water and alittle jello. Will update soon

Day 2

I slept fair last night. Tried to stay in the recliner as long as I could. I do notice more swelling today. Chin is still stiff and more of a discomfort then pain. I'm still icing and wearing the chin strap. My neck hurts very bad we're the lipo was done. Hurts to touch when I apply the arnica. Still drinking the shakes to sore to eat. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better

Day 3

Slept upright in bed with about 4 pillows. Iced before I went to bed, first night I slept thru the night. I started taking bromelain yesterday along with the arnica gel applied 3 times a day. I ate some mashed potatoes and turkey medallions for dinner. Still hard to eat. Still drinking out of a straw, if i dont.. i get it all over! My neck is still hurts bad from lipo. My chin still feels very stiff. I'm able to open my mouth alittle more each day. It's so true how you see a little improvement each day. I have some numbness around my right ear and right under my chin implant were lipo was done. I'm starting to get houseatosis... I've been inside for 3 days and it's driving me crazy. I'm going to venture out in my backyard and hope my neighbor's don't get a glimpse. I go back to work Thursday and seriously need to look into buying some concealer to hide this bruising. I've heard derma blend is good so maybe I'll try.

Day 4

Things slowly getting better. I was able to get alittle pasta in for dinner. Bruising as you see. Not in pain, just restricted in moving my jaw to much. I can't smile normal yet. Still alot of swelling. I truly think I should have took off work for at least 2 weeks.

Day 5

Tomorrow I go back to surgeon to take bandage off. I'm concerned about this skin under my neck from the lipo. I'm very vigilant on wearing this chin strap night and day so will see what he says. I've stopped with the icing yesterday. Still sleeping with my pillows propped to help with swelling.

Day 6

Today was my first post op appointment. Dr said everything is looking good. All but two stitches in mouth have dissolved. He removed the tape and felt around implant. He advised me to continue to wear chin strap at night as it will help with re- contouring the skin upward. Not thrilled about it but will do it. I got to see the esthetician while I was there who gave me a mild facial and educated me on how to apply my makeup to hide remaining bruising and gave me a bunch of samples so I don't have to go buy anything. Still swelled and I talk weird with that tape off . Tomorrow is a new day !

A strange bump

Update..
I've felt this little bump or lump on my left side around were the implant wing would be sense the procedure and just thought maybe it's just apart of the healing process. As the swelling is coming down its more noticeable palpable painful and visually more swelled on that side. There is also a bruise around that area. I hate to be a complainer but I may call the dr and see what they say because I don't go back for another 5 weeks. When I went to him 2 days ago and he felt that area,I cringed when he touched it and he said it was still tender in that area and that was that. It's so frustrating to have one side heal great and the other cause problems :(

aggravated

Well I'm still having pain on my left side and in radiates under my jaw. Some things just not right. I go back tomorrow for followup.i still have numbness on my lip at times. Implant still feels very tight. I regret doing intra oral route. Healing inside mouth is a long process. My neck from liposuction still looks lumpy in areas. I will leave with answers tomorrow. I'm on the fence about just removing it. Just the thought about having it taken out shaved down and replaced and pray I would recover without any further problems is stressful. Not to mention more time off work. So will see what he says tomorrow !

Hi Did you ever get it taken out? I hope it all worked out Best of luck
My followup apt is this upcoming week. He wanted to wait a full 4 weeks to see if the steroid injection resolved the issue. It still feels the same so I will be asking for it to be removed. Still feel pain and tightness on the left side only.
Had a steroid injection in my jaw. He said give it about 4 weeks. I told him if this pain hasn't gone away by next apt. I'm having it taken out. I'm over this. The incision site in my mouth still hurts on one side. I feel a bad pulling sensation around the incision area when I move my lips to the left. I think it's how he stitched it back together. I just hope if this is taken out I go back to normal
I'm sorry you are having so many problems with the implant. I hope it turns around and everything works out well. I believe the intra oral is not a good option because there is more chances for things going wrong such as placement of implant can move upwards (which causes pain) and the incision in mouth like you said takes a while to heal. I just had mine 5 days ago beneath my chin and I feel almost completely normal now. Just waiting for the incision site below my chin to heal. Just got the stitches out today so it looks a little red. Surgeon put a liquid bandage for me. I hope the colors gets better soon. I'm sick of people asking me why I have an incision there!
Your profile has improved though! I'm sure things will get better :)
It has been a few weeks Shaye, how are you doing?
Hey Shaye, just checking in to see how you are doing. Hope things are resolving, keep us posted.
Thank you so much for your updates! I hope your problem side starts to behave and heal uneventfully.
Thank you and hope this heals soon too :)
Checking in, how are you doing? I'm actually on the mend finally but been wondering how you are progressing, hope you are seeing some improvement, give us an update when you can.
I sent you a private message. :) I'm hanging in there. I went to see dr again. They are probably so sick of me calling and coming in every week. But this is my face and I will do what I need to do. I was still having a lot of tightness on the left side, with the lump, which is the tail end of the wing. It hurts. Still can't eat or smile correct. He said its "traction" and to massage the area daily and throw some ice on it. I also have some lumpy spots on my neck that look terrible and he said to massage those as well. He said it will go away. Fingers crossed. I also had a painful kinda bubble inside my mouth were the stitch are. He had to remove two stitches that hadn't dissolved. Omg that was PAINFUL! He put me on some keflex for five days as a precaution. After stitches were removed it relieved some tightness in and around my mouth. I have like a indention were that wing is acting up if that makes sense. I feel like the wing is bubbled or needs to be shaved down. I think he feels the same but is waiting to see if it settles down. So my journey of recovery is much longer then expected. I'm so happy to hear you are on the mend!! I will say I don't regret having this surgery I just feel like recovery is much longer then expected :(
How is it going Shaye? Is the bump persisting?
Yes :( I actually went to see surgeon this morning. He felt like it was a hematoma right were the wing ends. He instructed me to ice the area and stop wearing the chin strap. He also prescribed naproxen 500 mg twice daily for inflammation. I voiced my concern on my speech and smile which isn't right. He said hematoma is causing added swelling and pressing on nerves. Said it could take 6-8 weeks to come back! So upset. He also said if this don't help next step would be to do some sort of injection in a month at my follow up apt. He said there are many things to try before revision is considered. And revision would consist of shaving down that wing if it came down to it. I'm just in a total funk. I was in so much pain last night I wanted to rip it out. I hope your doing better then me!
Ugh, so sorry you are having problems too, there sure do seem to be a lot of problems with a procedure that is presented to be straightforward and uncomplicated. I'm still struggling but like to hope I'm making progress. I keep going back and forth from thinking my lip is moving a little to being convinced it isn't and I'm just adapting the way I use the rest of my mouth muscles to compensate for it, still can't pull down my lip like to brush my teeth and have to make sure I don't pull down the opposite lip when showing my top teeth smiling. And the darn lump in my neck is really starting to bug me, you can see it all the time, its not going down. Hang in there, you will have ups and downs, but don't let it over take your life, come here and share what's going on and get all the support you need. Good luck!
Thank you for the support!
Kind of sounds the same as on the side of mine where the wing folded under itself. I knew within the first couple of days something was wrong but the docs need to wait for the swelling to go down because they just can't feel the same thing from the outside as we can feel from the inside. Hope it's nit a folded wing simply because they will have to reopen the incision after you have already made progress towards healing but it it is it's a relatively easy fix.
I too had a very large bruise, almost 3 weeks after surgery appear along my jawline. It has taken a very long time to come down but it did. Have faith &hang in there.
Thank you, I just feel something's not right on that side. I hope the wing didn't bubble up. I called dr and awaiting a call back. Just bummed out right now
One other comment: don't ever feel bad about asking legitimate questions. You are not complaining. You are post operative in a common though often painful procedure. You have every right to ask.
Kudos to you for documenting every day. You restated very closely what I went through. It is three months postop now and I can say it was worth it but it was also very uncomfortable during the healing process which still continues. I have intense numbness in my chin three months postop and will be seeing my surgeon Monday. Hopefully it's a case of slow healing… I will say my right side and my left side healedcompletely differently. I had a lift at the same time I had the implant i was surprised how much slowly the left side of my face healed relative to the right. Also Also you are the patient. You have every right to call your surgeon as often as necessary with valid questions. Do not feel bad about that you were not complaining
How did work go today? Your last pics look great, I bet nobody noticed a thing.
Oh they noticed the swelling.i just said I had dental work done. I've noticed my left side is swelled more. And so did people at work, that's how observant they are! But what concerns me is I can feel like a bump there, kinda like we're the wing would be. There is a bruise around that area as well.it hurts to touch. My right side is healing well. I still can't talk normal and smile normal yet. I went to Dr and he said everything is OK but will see.im starting get to get a life bummed out
*a little bummed out :)
Looking so good already!!! You look so much like me in the first 5 days so I can already tell you'll have great results. I had what I called "potato face" for the first week and a half before the major swelling went away. Now it's just the waiting game! Since I had the lipo underneath the chin too I know what you mean - that part took longer to heal than my chin. Just know it takes time and try to be patient - the results are so worth it! Keep us updated! :)
Thank you! You hit it right on, I feel like a potato face. My bottom lip seems to stick out,I hope it's just swelling. I got this saggy skin right under my neck that I hope will suck back up :) my neck is still so sensitive. This recovery and back to work in a week is a joke. I mean I can say I had oral surgery but how long does swelling occur with that :/ my work is so nosey they will say well what did the due to you! After my appt today I'm going to try and find some makeup to cover the remaining bruising. Have you regained full movement in your jaw yet. Mine just feels so limited.