Don't look back! - Federal Way, WA

9 years ago I was a 31 year old single mother of...

9 years ago I was a 31 year old single mother of two when I decided to get breast implants. It seemed to me like I had always wanted bigger boobs and for the 30 months (total) that I nursed my babies, my boobs were a full 34C and I loved them. After I stopped nursing and lost the pregnancy weight (130lbs at 5'9"), I was both small and saggy and decided to get the implants that I always a thought I wanted. I got 360cc round smooth saline implants under the muscle with the incision under the armpit. My results actually looked very good and I ended up being a 34DD, which was a little bigger than I wanted. The problem was that my breasts practically levitated and they never felt real. The implants could be very easily felt through the skin and I had noticeable rippling on the sides. Worst of all, they were uncomfortable and I could feel the plastic whenever I moved. I kept my implants for so long because I didn't hate them right away and my new husband liked them and had never seen me without. Financially, I couldn't afford to remove them and my doctors always warned me that the results of removal without replacement would not be ideal.

This year I found a couple of lumps in my breasts and the implants made it difficult to assess the true nature of the cysts. After numerous exams and multiple mammograms and sonograms, I was told that my cysts were normal but that we would need to keep monitoring them. I knew when I got my implants that they wouldn't last forever and it just seemed like it was time to say good-bye to the plastic Barbie boobs that made me bounce off of everyone I hugged.

I did a great deal of research and decided to go with a reputable local PS. I asked for the most simple removal possible and was able to have both implants removed intact without a capsulectomy under local anesthesia. The procedure took less than two hours and I actually slept through the whole thing without general anesthesia (which was good).

That was two days ago and I am having doubts every day but I know it will take time for my breasts to bounce back. I will try to post pictures soon. Thank you to everyone who posts for giving me the courage to face this.

Pictures taken before and after implants.

3 days post-explant 8/3/13

Improving every day...

I feel better about the decision to explant with every day that passes. I am very lucky that I do have some breast tissue left to work with and I think my little breasts are cute. I really love how good my body feels without those big plastic balls inside of me. I have had very little pain, too. Getting breast implants was the most painful thing I have ever experienced--including child birth! So, I am glad that the reverse procedure did not come at the same price.

I found a comfortable and supportive sports bra that is lightly padded and I really like the overall result. The brand name is Athletic Essentials and this one is a size medium. I could easily go with a small but right now I am liking that the medium allows me to wear the band lower so that it doesn't irritate the incision areas. I'm going to look for more of these in neutral colors. I found this one at Marshal's so I don't know how easy that will be. Foe extra support, I wear a champion sports bra over this, if needed.

Right now I am dying to get back to the gym and paddle boarding but I am waiting because I don't want to overdo it. It is only day 5...

Thanks for all the comments and encouragement. It has been so helpful hearing from all of you!

10 day update

I don't think the pictures really show how floppy my breasts are at this point but I am happy with how they have been "bouncing back." I have no pain on the right side at all now but some lingering pain and numbness around the incision and below the incision in the left side. My PS said it was healing fine and that everything looked good. So I am hoping that will improve with time.

I went shopping for some new tops and it is so strange to fit into a size small again. People who don't know about the surgery ask if I have lost weight. Since I have lost about 10 pounds in the last year, this a convenient explanation.

Overall, I am very happy with being implant free. I wouldn't mind if my breasts fluffed up a bit and I can't wait to get back into my physical activities full swing... Despite that, I feel lighter, both physically and emotionally.

One year post-explant--so happy to be implant free!

One year later, I still haven't quite figured out my actual bra size since it seems to depend on the brand and the style of bra. I'm somewhere between a 34 B/C and a 36B. Sometimes I find a little padded bra to give some extra oomph but I can honestly say I don't miss the DD's. I don't miss hearing and feeling the saline implants rubbing against my rib cage or the rippling that was always happening on the sides. My breasts have bounced back nicely and I'm surprised to say that after 18 months of pregnancy, 28 months of nursing, and 9 years carrying around 300cc saline implants--I think they look better than ever before! And I feel better too! I feel like I look so much younger and even my husband is very happy with my small natural breasts. My favorite part is that now when I hug him or my children, I no longer have two bouncy balls of saline pushing us apart. For anyone considering explanting their implants, I think it is important to find a highly qualified PS who will listen to you and respect your wishes while still giving you a realistic idea of the potential outcome. I was afraid that explantation would leave my breasts deformed but, as you can see, I am just lighter and free. It was an expensive lesson to learn but now I can honestly say that I love myself the way I was always meant to be...
Federal Way Plastic Surgeon