Awaiting Full T/T with Lipo on February 8, 2011...SCARED AND HAVING DOUBTS! - Fayetteville, GA

12 years ago I decided to get my body back. I had...

12 years ago I decided to get my body back. I had gained a significant amount of weight after my first child and with the aid of weight watchers, I lost 30 pounds. I had my second child in late 2003 and got back to my pre-baby weight fairly quickly.

Then in January of 2007, I started exercising and the results were fabulous - I went from a size 10/12 to a size 6/8. But even with the exercising I could not lose the sagging belly with stretch marks above and below. I have this pouch that shows under my clothes. I do not want to lose and more weight. I have been counting down the days to my surgery in February and now after reading some of the horror stories, I am having second thoughts. Some say the swelling never goes down - that scares me to death. There are also the stories of severed nerves causing excruciating pain. I know that there are risks...so do the anticipated results outweigh them? I have found the stories here extremely inspiring. I am still moving forward with my surgery. Does everyone have these fears pre-op?

Photo Update

Fayetteville Plastic Surgeon

You'll be fine just know this is for you. I had mines done it was bitter sweet. Go on my blog to read my experience. Hope it helps. I just did one stupid thing, which was have Sex day 7. It was gentle but I was horrified.

How in the world did you have sex on day seven????  Oh my god I was still hunched over, swollen as hell in the Va Jay Jay and had a drain in.

I think my hubby would have run to the next county it I had suggested that.  I was a hot mess on day 7...Yikes!
My drains were out. Lmbo....it was very gentle didn't take long! He was wanting it that bad. Lmbo as I'm typing. I guess the new bod made him go crazy. He couldn't take it anymore! Really it wasn't bad at all. Day 7 we went to Wolly World for 2 hrs. And, I guess he assumed I was ready. We have a healthy sex life.

LOL...Oh my you go girl!

There is no way in the world that was happening for me at 7 days po...God!

You know that old saying...God gave you two hands for a reason..use them...LOL

Thinking about you and sending happy thoughts your way!

You are going to be just fine and love the new tummy :)

Good luck tomorrow! Sending happy thoughts your way. :)

thank you!!
Yes!! GOOD LUCK and keep us posted!!
Hi WW! Reading your post reminded me so much of my own! I'm happy to report that I am now 10 days post op and feeling good! Yes I'm sore, yes I have numb areas from the lipo BUT I have seen my tummy and the change was unbelievable!! I had tears in my eyes the first time I saw it. Gone were the stretch marks, gone was the "flap" as I nicknamed it. I know I'm early in the process of recovery but this was so worth it!
Good luck to you!!!
Thank you all for the support. I have done much reading and research on this site and also spoke with a co-worker's friend who had the same surgery 4 years ago. I am past the panic stage now and while i am still somewhat nervous about the actual surgery - i've kicked into preparation mode. I am having my pre-opt appointment next week and have my list of questions prepared. I have found the information on this site extremely helpful and am thankful to those who have dedicated their time and efforts to educate and inform all of us. I have wanted a flat tummy for 15 years and i'm very excited at the reality that it's going to happen!!!
Wonder Woman :)

I have gone back and forth for 10 years on doing this. I've been terrified of death, wound healing, etc. The Not Worth It was very scary to read, but there are sooo many more Worth Its. I also noticed alot of the Not's seem to have issues that increased their risk (one lady had gastric bypass previously, one had diabetes, others let their wounds go too long without seeing their Dr., or their Dr. didn't address problem early) Make sure you trust your Dr. and sounds like you're in great health. My surgery is next Friday and surprisingly the closer the date gets, the calmer I get. Keep reading the Worth It's, many of them are inspiring!
If you are healthy and trust your surgeon, you will do great! I have yet to post my story and pics -- someday. The time goes by so fast! I love your comment about "getting calmer." The morning of my surgery, I had an overwhelming calmness/peacefulness that I can't even explain. My surgeon hugged me right before I went into surgery. I just knew everything was going to be good. Keep me posted. I'll be thinking of you!
You're "Wonder Woman" -- you can do this -- and it will be so worth it! I had an extended tt w/ lipo (abs, waist, hips/saddlebag areas, and thighs) early Sept. I am now 18 weeks out. I, like you, was very worried -- totally scared of surgery, concerned if I would make it through it and what my end results would be. My goal was not about weight loss, but to fix my buldging belly. I work out regularly and had similar concerns about swelling and nerve issues -- particularly since I run/jog and was concerned about the lipo on my upper legs/saddlebag areas. I am so very glad that I had the surgery and thrilled with the results. It has literally changed my life (much more confident about my body). I trusted my ps to the fullest. This is very important. I felt an instant connection with him -- he is a gifted surgeon -- and I can never thank him enough. He always answered my questions and concerns by email and phone. I do not have any type of nerve issues or swelling. This is not to say that you won't have swelling and feel pulling and tugging sensations throughout your recovery. I am back at the gym -- working out 3 - 4 times a week (30 - 40 min. cardio/running on treadmill and elliptical), lighter on the abs and weights/increasing slowly. I wore a sz. 8/10 prior to surgery and now wear a sz. 4 and sz. small in shirts/tops. I went into surgery at 155 lbs. (5'5") and am now 130 lbs. It's not a walk in the park, but your results will continue to improve daily, weekly and monthly. I am a very positive person and went into this with a positive attitude and realistic expectations. Trust your surgeon and expect the BEST, not the worst. It's am amazing journey -- enjoy it and good luck!

Hi Wonder Woman,

Welcome to RealSelf.  Oh the doubts and fears are all so normal.  I remember my obsessing for weeks before my surgery and so glad that I did not chicken out.  I hated my tummy and it had to go.   There is good and bad with any surgery and risks with everything but you will do fine.  The pain, swelling, and numbness are all temporary and will end.  Everyone is different and heals at their own pace so you could zip through this.

It is better to go in expecting the worst and then later find that it wasn't'so bad.  You could be one of those women.

Yes it does hurt but this is all temporary and will end.  Once you get a look at the flat tummy you will be jumping for joy.  It is so worth everything you go through.  You have to ask yourself how badly you want to get rid of the tummy and I think I know your answer....been there :)

Keep reading on the site and learning everything you can because knowledge is power here.  The women are all wonderful and will help you through the bumps and victories.  Will you be posting before and after pictures?

I am looking forward to reading your posts as you go.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Kimmers25
Thank you so much for your post. Your story was such an inspiration to me. I will definately keep you posted and i will post some pictures. I think i am past my panic stage and am now entering my preparation stage. I am getting my house clean and thinking ahead to those items i need to purchase for my recovery period. Thanks again!

You are welcome!   I am very excited for you :)
Kimmers,
You always say the right thing in making me feel better! Thanks for that! :) You are truly an inspiration!
~Julie
yep! my surgery is for the 9th and I have been obsessing over the not worth it section of this forum. The only thing I keep telling myself is that if I don't give this TT a try I will be obsessing over my belly for the rest of my life!

LMH
I totally agree lmh - i keep looking at my belly and thinking it will be so worth it. Good luck!
I TOTALLY agree with this. If I don't go thru with it, I WILL always obsess about my belly and want to get it done. I truly believe the pros outweigh the cons, but that is easier written to you than believing myself. HA! Aren't minds great! Such a pendulum!!
Good luck and hope it all works out for you so keep us posted!
~Julie