Getting Ready to Get my Tummy Tuck

I am about ready to visit a couple of doctors in...

I am about ready to visit a couple of doctors in the Northwesr Arkansas Area about getting a tummy tuck. After having my son who is now 3, I have finally got the nerves to get my flat tummy back!!!

I am a person who has a low tolerance to pain do this has always made me back out. But with the constant reminder or my belly buldge, it was time to take back my 26 year old figure. I am 5'8" tall and 148 lbs after working almost a year and a half of solid cardio and weight resistance.

My top portion of my tummy is pretty tight as well as having no stretch marks except for where my belly ring use to be. I was very lucky to keep a decent looking navel after my pregnacey.

I am seeing two doctors both have the highest certification and i believe one of them is on the board. I have done my research with friends and other sources and I have not heard any negative stories with either one. which is making me feel more at ease and pretty excited about the whole thing.

I am still trying to decide if a full tummy tuck is needed or a mini would do. 99% of my stretch marks are below the navel. I am also possible thinking about lipo on my hips and sides as well but im not sure if the tummy tuck covers that?

I will be sending out updates between what each doctor has to say as well the difference in cost what they recomend ect. I have posted my before pictures on here.

Please let me know if this can easily be fixed and what recomendations you could give me for the healing process after surgery. Again I am a whimp. i am a single mother and really need advice on this as well. how long will it be before i can hold my son again after the procedure? and how can i make him understand that i cant hold him for a while?

April 2nd (Good Friday)I recieved an unexpected...

April 2nd (Good Friday)

I recieved an unexpected piece of mail today.   One of the PS that I will be seeing in a couple of weeks sent me a letter.  It wasnt just a piece of paper but about a 15 page document in great detail of the following:

A brief welcoming letter signed by the PS himself (not stamped actually signed with a pen)

The different procedures of what I was having the consultation for including proper candidate, proper results, procedure description, healing process and the extent of the pain.

The overview of the consultation such as registration, surgen confrence, cost and timing anesthesia, follow up second consultation that is free as well  to help go further in detail with me with the photographs taken and and if i have any more questions or concerns.  ( 2 consultation visits!!!) and the certification of the operation suites that they have at thier facility

Talks about the true meaning of being board certified,  This doctor that I will be visiting is ABMS certified (American Board of Medical Specialites) this is an agency that oversees sub specialty boards. The American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS) is the only board that the ABMS oversees for training and certification of cosmetic and reconstructive surgeons.

One thing that I saw was really helpful and will prolly be the most important thing that I hope writes this down if anyone reads this blog is this:

call the ABMS at 1-866-275-2267 to see if your surgeon is certified by the ABPS.  All you have to do is give the name of the Surgeon and they will tell you if and when he or she has been certified.

It also talked about how there are some certifications that only require a fee and have less strict criteria for certification which have not been approved by the ABMS a few to mention are:

Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Cosmetic Plastic Surgery, Facial Cosmetic Surgery, Plastic Esthetic Surgery, Dermatologic Surgery, and Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery

So please do your homework before commiting to a procedure with just any PS!!!

They also talk about how they only use Board certifed anesthesiologist for all general anesthesia.  Which puts me at ease!!!  It might be a little more expensive but thier life is in my hands and the more educated they are the safer I will be : )

They also talked about how thier operating suite is certified by the highest standard based on local, state and federal law which also makes me smile a bit which is Medicare, American Association for the Accreditation of Abulatory Surgery Facilties, and Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care

So far I am really impressed.  I know thatit is just a pamplet but I have talked to my friends that have overgone plastic surgeons with other doctors within this area and they never recieved this.  I hope that him and his team continues to impress me.  It makes me feel like they care about thier patients and want you to be informed about everything before the first/second visit as well as the PS cerditability!!!!

All I can say is well see what the next PS has to offer!!!!!

Sorry no updated pictures my tummy is the same except for the darker tan that I have then before!

Hey everyone,I just got my consultation done with...

Hey everyone,

I just got my consultation done with the two doctors that I went too.  Both doctors had a little bit ideas on what they wanted to do.

Dr. #1-

I had this appointment at 11:00am.  His staff was very nice and his office was very impressive.  ( This is the doctor that sent the pamplet of detailed information of his creditability, the procedure, and his certification of the operation.)  He told me that a full tummy tuck was needed and said that he wanted to do a floating umbilical (cutting the belly button completely and positining it to a different area of the body)  He said that he would like to move my belly button a little lower becuase he tought it was naturally to high.  As I asked about the procedure on what he does for drainage tubes, he stated that he does not use them.  He said he does a procedure that is done in france and has been practicing this proedcure for 8 years now.  He said that he has never had any problems with draining nor with any fluid build up in the past when he has done this procedure.  I am atthis time looking up and doing research to find out how this is possible.  This procedure that he quoted me with is 6500 dollars and that includes liposuction of the flanks and the abdominal area.

Dr. #2-

This appointment was at 2:00 the same day and he also agreed that a tummy tuck was needed but I was a perfect canadiate for a mini tummy tuck.  This procedure consists of lipo of the flanks, back, and abdominal area as well.  He said that he uses one drain and that no repositing of the belly button is needed.  His cost was 6100 dollars.

I am a little confused on how these doctors had a difference on procedure and wondering what is the best choice.  if anyone could give me advice i would greatly appreciate it.  They are both ASPS certified so it isnt any crazy certification that one would get from by just paying a small fee and buying equipment.  THey both have many years of experience.  please provide me with any advice that you can.

Thanks

I have not decided which doctor to take. will know soon and will inform.

I have an appt on 7/13/2011 with your doctor who sent the information to you in the mail. I've lost 80 lbs, in the last couple years and want a tummy tuck and saline implants. Have you decided which doctor and have you had the surgery yet? I'm 55 years old. Anyone out there had a full tummy tuck done around my age? My entire stomach is floppy and I have a big "flap" covering my goodies :( Want that GONE.. Thank you :)
Hi, I am interested in getting a full tummy tuck in the near future and I've been doing my research. I live in Northwest Arkansas and I'm debating if I should get any work done here or in another state. I find there aren't many options available here. Can you msg me some plastic surgeon names and places that you have consulted with in the area? I'd appreciate it. I'm 27 with 3 kids, 2 of which I gave birth to. Btw, have you set up a date for your surgery yet? Thanks and good luck!!!
Based on your tummy stretching and physic, I think that you going to be thrilled to have a tummy tuck. Only the PS will be able to tell you if a Mini or a Full TT is what you need, so be open to either. Pain is only in your mind, remember the reason why you are choosing to have this done, it's really mind over matter. Don't compare yourself to others, everyone scars differently, everyone heals differently, and everyone swells at their own pace. Relax, have fun with the process, it's an adventure, and you are in good hands - the medical professionals these days are amazing at what they are able to do! p.s. Check your private messages, I left you a lot more. ;) Good luck!
I am really nervous about hte scar as well. I have no stretchmarks above the belly button, just below. My skin is tight until you get below the belly button so I am hoping just a mini will do with some lipo. I hope you get to feeling better. They say that a tt is one of the most painful surgeries for cosmetic surgery. Good luck and keep me poisted as your healing I would love to see how your incision turns out!!!
I had a tt on March 25th, 2010. My stomach was similar to yours and we are about the same height and weight. So if you want to see what about 1 week post op will look like you can look at my pictures that I posted up. I sympathize with you about holding your son after the procedure. I have three boys and my baby is three and he loves to cuddle, and I felt the same way as you. But weve worked around it, I'll sit on the couch and he'll come sit beside me and we cuddle that way. Something to consider though is the recover is long enough and I still can't lift anything. I was back at work on the 31st of March,2010. I work a deskjob so I was okay. But the pain was alot, I think I'm pretty pain tollerant (had my three boys no pain killers or epidurals) but I thought the tt was very painful alot more that I expected. I'm a little nervous about the results because I really don't like the scars. My plastic surgeon keeps reminding me that I have to give my body time to heal but like I said I'm really nervous. I have a hard time looking at my stomach when I take a shower. Also be ready to wear a corsett for 6 weeks. As for the hips I had lipo on my back and hips because my plastic surgeon sewed my stomach muscles back together so he took off the access fat, it came with the procedure. So you'd have to ask your plastic surgeon and see exacally what he does. Mine also did my inner thighs, I can't tell you how they look yet because they are so swollen and bruised. Good luck with your decision, it is really an individual one. You are the only one who knows what you are comfortable with and how you feel when you look in the mirror. Good luck!!

Hi There, According to reviews and doctor's answers I've read here on RealSelf, a tummy tuck will not get rid of fat on the hips and flanks. In fact, tummy tucks can sometimes cause "dog ears", or little pouches of fat on either side of your tummy tuck scar. So if you're interested in removing that fat on hips, thighs or flanks and exercise alone hasn't done it, liposuction might be an option. Check with your doctor. I've also heard great things about pain pumps. Either way, please do keep us updated on your journey.