So Far, So Good (1 Day Out) - Fairfax, VA

On February 13th I had a full face and neck...

On February 13th I had a full face and neck ultherapy treatment (to collarbone). The procedure lated 90 minutes and I had 956 lines. In addition to treating the neck, cheeks, and side of forehead, the nurse/technician treated the crows feet by my eyes, under my eyes (9 lines) and above and below the sides of my lips. She used two "heads" on the ultherapy wand. The deepest one on my neck and checks, and the next "less deep" head for a second pass over my cheeks and neck and then the rest of my face. I understand she had 4 "heads," but used just two on me. (I apologize for not knowing the correct terminology.)

My purpose for having the procedure was to "arrest" the sagging process. My overall skin is in great shape, but was definitely beginning to droop at the jaw line. I am 1 month shy of 61 years old and decided it was now or never to begin the anti-gravity fight. If ultherapy significantly tightens my skin, I could see repeating the procedure every few years.

Regarding pain, that was my biggest worry. I took an anti-anxiety pill and pain pill 30 minutes before the procedure, and took a 2nd pain pill midway. Yes, it was painful (about a 6). I constantly squirmed, wrung my hands, moved my feet, but never moved my head! She did not have to stop until I said I wanted another pain pill--not that it had reached an unbearable level, but I was nervous it might! Bottom line, if I need a touch up, I definitely would have ultherapy again. The pain was there, but not as bad as I feared.

How do I look 24 hours later? My cheeks are swollen, but I can be seen in public! I also have a pencil eraser-size bruise under my chin. I am in no pain, but my cheeks are numb to the touch.

I am attaching the "before" pictures and they are quite unattractive, as I was trying to be expressionless so that every wrinkle and droop would be visaible. Also, although it looks like I have rosacea, I do not. It was hot in the room! I promise to update with more pics, as I know I found the pics to be very useful when reading other reviews. I also will post the name of the doctorafter I see how everything evolves. So far, so good!

Day 2: I removed the pictures because I was too...

Day 2: I removed the pictures because I was too "recognizable" but will repost cropped ones soon. I don't want feel like everyone I pass on the street knows me from RealSelf!
Today I have light bruises on my cheeks (just noticeable in certain light), but dark bruises just under my jaw line about 3 inches from the center of my chin. Still numb on cheeks, but not painful to touch anywhere.

9 days out: I still have swelling and bruises...

9 days out: I still have swelling and bruises near the jaw. Also, I noticed today that I have an extra "fold" on my eyelid. It must be associated with swelling above the eye that I wasn't aware of until it started draining.

30 days out: I just posted pictures taken on my...

30 days out: I just posted pictures taken on my 30 day mark. I arranged them for easy comparison. Although the pictures may not fully show it, but I can tell my jawline has improved. Overall, I am very pleased with the results to date and excited for more progress.

I just passed my 2 month anniversary. Although I...

I just passed my 2 month anniversary. Although I believe there is some improvement in my skin, a firming, I have not yet seen a tightening along my jaw line. I am still hopeful things will begin happening as I near the 3-month mark. I have posted the latest pics.
Dr bitar

Cool!! I am 55 and have had multiple procedures prior to this, I am ALSO sore to touch a week out ! nice to know that is normal. I could only finance my lower face /chin. will go back in December to do neck! Really O.K. since that way I get A second treatment on my chin /jowls!! good luck.
Hi 838485, Thank you for your post and pictures. Yours and TellyJan's had helped me to make the decision to go ahead with the treatment. Your skin was flawless before the treatment and it looks much better at your 2 month mark. I'm assuming that you continue to see more positive improvements in the last couple of months? I've heard that there is significant improvement between 2nd - 4th month. Is that true? Also, have you taken any new pictures? Thank you.

Hi, I just had a consultation on Tuesday an am seriously considering it...they recommended full face and neck...nice to see the price is the same!

congratulations on your skin, by the way, i hope i will have the same skin at your age (I'm 41 and my neck looks worse). I'm wondering, do you feel an improvement in the skin elasticity of the neck?
so where would you say was your greatest area of improvement? Neck? thats such a tough spot!!
I think the biggest improvement is in skin appearance. The pics of my neck are quite unattractive and emphasize the "cords" which are not noticeable in person. I see general tightening along the jaw, and perhaps the neck, but nothing dramatic.
great results for such a short time. Keep posting new ones if you please.

Wow, I never would have guessed you were 61. You look great! Good job taking care of yourself!

Now that you have had a few more days to heal up, how are things feeling?

PS I am 54 and while my skin looks like yours; my super high cheekbones continue to head south so my profile is what bothers me :(
Are the 3 pictures up now before or after as you look great like mid-forties at most. I have had the procedure done and had a good but not great outcome; best was Thermage in 05 (all my parenthesis were removed and so no filler ever) full face but that Dr. only uses U now. Looking forward to updates!
Hi Rose...I had Thermage done in June 2011 and Ultherapy done in March 2012. I also think I saw more results with Thermage. Is that what you are saying? I am now 64, have good skin, take care of it. But I was thinking maybe Thermage works better on "older" skin? Though they say it's not the chronological age, but the skin age. I don't have wrinkles. I have more laxity. I am interested in First Day's assessment and her doctor, because I live in the same area.
The pics are all "before" pictures. Thanks for the compliment on looking 15 years younger. I will go to bed tonight with a smile! I am 4 days out and am still swollen near the jaw and have bruises under the jaw bone. Each day it seems the swelling is "sinking." Day 1, full cheek swell, now just lower cheeks. Still no pain, but cheeks feel numb. Tell me about your experience. I am most interested in tightening the jawline, as you can see in the photo, I am beginning to droop. I, too, am concerned about my sagging cheeks and profile.
Yes jpr; the 05 Thermage was like someone took a vacuum and sucked my entire face in (sorry for crude description) - there was no need for filler on either side of my mouth after which was what I was trying to avoid and the larger impression was about evened out since he did more passes on that side. I always had a firm chin so that was not an issue and back then eye tips were not available. I had no burns, bruising or pain because at that time some Drs. were using an IV drip which he did (Thermage later advised against it). Of course we keep aging in 2011, not happy with the laxity mid face, I checked back with that Dr. where I used to live; he had stopped using Thermage because many patients did not have my outcome and due to the cost of the one tip tips which in turn drove up patient cost. He was only offering Ultherapy so I gave it a shot. It only helped about 30% with the cheek area laxity (vs 100% facelift) but there were other benefits making U worthwhile; it removed about 90% of the under eye hollows (I had resisted getting J filler), and surprisingly dissipated most of the mild cheek rosacea I had (broken veins not acne). I had no pain (took sedative and pain pill) or bruising though the first time when I did the jaw, it was tender for about a week). My Dr. said he does not recommend U on women past mid 40s unless they have very good skin with little wrinkling so not sure what age he stops regardless. Last summer, a year later, I felt like my oval face was starting to get puffy again so went back for round two of U at a very discounted price, focusing on the cheek and brow areas. Passed on the chin and jaw as that was never the issue. I think it "held" things but no big improvement so another year later I am now what since I am not ready for surgery (only want to do it once : ) With U I have never had much change after the first week immediate outcome. Same with Thermage which I am not sure at what age they stop recomending - its been off my radar as there are no providers I am comfortable with meaning supervised on site by a Dr. Hope this helps!
Thank you. I can't wait for your follow-up reviews and pictures and name of doctor if you like results. I totally understand about the pics. :-)