3 MONTHS POST OP - Upper & Lower Bleph w/Canthopexy

I am 42 with upper eyelids sagging a little and...

I am 42 with upper eyelids sagging a little and small bags underneath. Dr. Bitar is known for taking a natural approach, great bedside manners and skilled (we'll see how I heal). So far so good. More swelling and bruising than I expected. Less pain than I expected. Only one pain pill the first night. I've done everything recommended for speedy healing (no drinking, quit vitamins, etc.) My surgery was Friday morning and it is now Sunday night. Here are pictures up to this point. I will keep you posted.

6th day post-op

Less bruising and swelling. More itchy, but solved with cold or warm compresses. Not healing evenly, but this is normal. Follow up with doc is tomorrow.

Constipation

The biggest frustration has been constipation, notoriously related to pain meds. I pooped for the first time this morning. That's almost 6 days without going. I had increased my fiber & water, took two glycerine suppositories, used a home colonic irrigation, ate yogurt and kimchi (good bacteria) and nothing happened until this morning.

Pictures the day before surgery

Day of suture removal

Getting sutures removed has been the worst part of this experience, except for being constipated. IT HURT! Still lots of swelling, but doc said everything is normal.

One week after surgery

Yeah, I'm finally getting "MY" eyes back. Still plenty of swelling and some bruising. My right eye looks a little more cat-like, kind of cinched at the outer corner. I hope this resolves itself. My left eye is more natural.

Two weeks after surgery

Feeling much better, but still have lots of healing in the upper eyelid area. The canthopexy seems to be taking longer (sore and tight). My right eye is still more cat-like than I'd like, but I have faith that, in time, everything will relax and heal back to normal - MINUS the extra baggage of course:-)

Cyst removed from suture site

At my 2nd post op, my surgeon "unroofed" a cyst which had developed around a suture. This made a big difference and the swelling and redness mproved within hours of cyst removal. He said this is quite common and will have me come in for another follow up next week.

One Month Post-op

Doc said the cyst he "unroofed" last week is healing fine and to return in a couple months. So far, I'm extremely impressed with Dr. Bitar's attention to follow-up. My healing, while taking longer than I expected, is coming along great as far as he is concerned. Here are the pics.

VERY HAPPY - 3 months post op

I sometimes wonder if he didn't remove enough, but when I think about it, glad he was conservative and I look very natural, like my old self, minus a decade:-)
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Still not fully healed, but confident that I will love it. Have ZERO complaints about this practice and will use them for my next whatever it may be.

I feel the same way about if my surgeon took enough.  I still see small bags and it drives me nuts, but better than looking like Skeletor.  I think you look great- I don't see any residual bags.

You look great. Thanks so much for your postings. I am 11 days out and worried about my one half shut eye and the hollowed out look underneath. I was not prepared for the painful constipation either! The things you don't know until you take this plunge!
Your eyes look beautiful!! Really awesome. I'm four days in and havi g a similar journey. Constipation is brutal and my eyes look strangely catlike so I'm nervous, but your post gives me hope that it will be temporary. Thanks!
Your upper lids have settled very nicely. Pretty! Congrats, and thanks for sharing.
Your eyes look just gorgeous! It has really sparked them up. My partner also asks what am I trying to achieve, he also doesn't notice a difference. Boys!
I think your eyes look amazing! Years younger. Congratulations! Now I want it!
I'm so happy to hear this. It's hard for me to know if I made the right decision, especially when my husband rolls his eyes, lovingly of course, and says, "I can't see a difference."
It doesn't look like you need it, then again, my husband said I didn't need it:-)
I can see a significant difference. This has been worth it for sure! :)
I can see great improvement! It is looking fantastic! congratulations!
Thank you. I'm happy to hear this.

Looks like the bulk of the swelling has gone down, now you just have those pesky red bruises (I remember having those!).  I bet you will look pretty back to normal in the next week- thanks for the updates!

why do you have strings hanging??
They are sutures being held up by tape, to keep everything in place.
dbm, congratulation on your surgery. I look forward to seeing the end results. Thanks for sharing,
dbm, your experience with the excessive bruising was very much like mine. I really looked horrible, but also like you I only needed one pill for slight pain the first day. I remember being so amazed that I wasn't in pain because I looked so bad! My ps was actually surprised at how bad I looked. He had told me bruising would be minimal. I had my upper lids done on April 11, 2013 and they are looking very good now. Very glad I had it done. Good luck.
Today is exactly one week since surgery and the sutures are out. One eye looks cat-like, different than the other eye:-(((((
Don't worry, things will look better and more even as the swelling goes down. Mine were uneven too at first, but now they look the same. With every week that passes you will see improvement. Just be sure to sleep sort of sitting up, propped up with pillows or in a recliner, and never sleep on your side. That can cause uneven swelling too. Hang in there! : )
Hi agree with Pat in PA--I haven't had this surgery yet (and mine is going to be a different type procedure)--but I have had other cosmetic surgeries and if there is one thing I have learned it is that you can't judge much in the first weeks! The healing time is a weird situation and we'd all be better off to not look in mirrors during the first weeks. It's too early and things often look lopisided (while things are healing). :)
I agree with you Mrs._Fitz! I have had a septoplasty/rhinoplasty, lower facelift and an upper eyelid job (not all at one time) and there is really no "normal" healing time concerning swelling & bruising. It depends on each individual. When you start comparing your situation with others it just causes needless worry, too. But we really must be very patient after any cosmetic procedure. It all turns out well in the end, and if not satsfied you can always have revisions which are usually free. I just posted my eyelid surgery experience on here including photos and I was informed that it would be available online tomorrow. So watch for that.
do you still need to ice? You're looking good--bet this will look better and better each day from here on out :)
Ice didn't seem to work the first few days and now, day 5-7, I'm icing and ip the swelling is reduced, but it seems to come back within a few hours:-(
somewhere along the way I hope we'll see your before photos too. I have a feeling, just looking at your progress thus far that you are going to look dynamite!
I'll post them now.
Great, dbm....looking forward to your next progress shots--you're looking good!