Just Had All-on-4 Implants Done - Fairfax, VA

I am in my early 40's and I just had my all-on-4...

I am in my early 40's and I just had my all-on-4 implants procedure done on Wednesday (3 days ago). There were complications during the procedure due to the fact that I'm allergic to sulfites and cannot have local anesthetics containing epinephrine, which are more long lasting and promote vasoconstriction during surgery. Long story short, when I woke up, they gave me the bad news that they could only do the top and had to stop due to risky blood loss. So, what should've been one procedure is now two since I'll have to undergo the whole thing again next week for the bottom!

So, what have I learned so far? Well, I respect all the reviews I've read stating that it was all a breeze and didn't hurt at all but I need to keep it real and tell you that, in my personal experience, this has not been easy breezy! I am on antibiotics as instructed and also on two types of pain management meds, one being a narcotic. The post-op pain has been pretty tough to endure and that's only having had the top done (with only 5 extractions). The day of surgery was manageable, post-op day 1 was pretty bad, and post-op day 2 was really really really bad. I was coughing and spitting up huge blood clots. My entire face swelled up like a balloon, from below my eyes to just under my jaw bone there was huge swelling and it was so black and blue it looked like I was punched in the face in a street fight. My nose swelled up so much I looked like a piggy and it truly felt like the anatomy of the inner nose/sinuses were totally different which is probably from the pressure. My nose hurt from the inside out. My lips also swelled up so much I couldn't close my lips together up until today (post-op day 3). The pressure on the sinuses and the headache from the pressure were also pretty bad.

Today is Saturday (post-op day 3) and the swelling is finally beginning to go down but there is still pain. I have tried to go without pills and it's too much pain to handle. Now, I am not a whimp and can usually toughen things out but this is not a walk in the park. There are so many stitches on the roof of my mouth, way up where the gums meet the new teeth, all the way in the back, and the worst part has been the frenulum (the piece of skin you have that holds your top lip to your gums)... they cut that too to make room for the new teeth and it hurts and burns something crazy. My lips were also pretty torn apart from the surgery.

Funny enough, the teeth themselves feel pretty normal aside from the surgical pain. Of course, since they couldn't do the bottom, I now have top teeth that don't fit the bottom, so that has caused jaw pain and tension that you would not otherwise have.

All in all, I am still on the fence regarding the whole experience and the fact that I am still all black and blue and have to endure this all over again next week probably doesn't help. I am hoping this will all become ok and that it will be just a rough patch that will be worth it in the end.

Update on all-on-4 implants

So, as previously explained, the first surgery didn't go well because of excessive blood loss. Less than a week later, I went in for the bottom. This second surgery went much better and I felt like the entire team was ready and on top of things. The recovery was better for the bottom than for the top... less swelling, less bruising, just as much pain though. I took the Motrin 800mg and Percocet more often than prescribed to be able to handle the pain.

So, what is happening now? Well, it's been 19 days since the top was done and 13 days since the bottom surgery. I was pretty uncomfortable most of the time, couldn't eat, couldn't sleep because the bite was off, felt like the teeth were too big on the bottom and too small on the top, etc. I just went in for my first post-op appointment today and they adjusted things and I am pretty comfortable now. So today is actually the first day that I'm feeling like this was actually the right decision. It's not perfect yet but these are temporary teeth and they tell me that all my esthetic and functional concerns will be resolved with the permanents. So right now, I'm feeling pretty good about the whole thing and I'm beginning to feel like I may just have a whole new life ahead of me :)

After pic

Clear Choice Dental Implant Center

Great experience so far except for some minor things. I would recommend this center at Tyson's Corner in Fairfax, VA.

I'm sorry to hear about the complications you had with the procedure I myself having the exact same procedure on June 18 approximately three weeks from today I asked him straight up to be honest with me how long is it going to hurt how long will it take for most of the pain subsides they told me "there is a little pain if any just a little soreness and swelling "Because the titanium is going straight into the bone and that there is no nerves in the jaw bone itself"'and that a lot of patients are back to work the next day I personally find that hard to believe seeing that I've had two spinal fusions and both times it was torture for the first 2448 hrs. It's somewhat the same kind of procedure titanium being screwed into the bone itself just two different parts of the body. I pray that what they're telling me is right and I'm wrong. I will know soon enough so until then good luck to you hope you heal quickly and I will return hopefully with a positive update! Robert From San Mateo California
How are you doing? Are you going in on the 18th?
@drummerrob, don't forget that there's a huge amount of nerves in the spinal column, which is pretty unique.  I hope that means you have less pain for this as well!  Have you started a review already?
Thank you so much for joining our community!  Your experience is much more difficult than that of most because you have these added complications--I just know there are others out there in your situation (allergic to sulfites and can't use epinephrine) who are wondering how this will be for them.  Unfortunately for you, doctors work very hard to find what works best for the most patients, but are left scrambling when they can't use those methods.  The inability to use epinephrine and minimize bleeding means more swelling, and more pain from swelling.

But even when things go right, some will have more pain than others.  My mom is built like an ox, strong and seemingly impervious to pain.  She fell down some rickety wooden stairs once, landed flat on her back, and was down for one day.  I think I would have ended up in hospital.  Anyway, when she got her implants, she had a lot of pain and swelling--much worse than most of the people here on RealSelf go through.  So I think that's just variable and some are luckier than others.  The sample size here isn't that big, so you tend to get a lot of extremes :).

Because of your review, I looked up how sulfites and epinephrine are related and it seems like it's a preservative used in the epinephrine preparation, is that right?  I looked it up on the American Academy of Allergy Asthma and Immunology website and it was under a metabisulfite allergy.  It seemed like they were saying sometimes there were metabisulfite-free preparations available, but that also some patients who've reacted with anaphylaxis before tolerate the epinephrine fine even with the metabisulfite.  It's especially interesting as epinephrine is used to treat anaphylaxes in emergency situations.  I'd be extremely interested to hear more about your situation.
Hello there and thank you for your post. I have updated my review, so you can check out what's happening now.
Soooo glad to hear that they learned from the previous situation and improved accordingly.  And to hear that your experience is finally starting to feel worth it!  Aesthetically, you look great, even with the temps, which I assume are resin/plastic and never look as good as ceramic.

Do you know how they managed the pain during the procedure this time?

Thank you so much for updating us!