No one believes I got breast reconstruction because I just look like me. Fairfax, VA

I had natural DD breasts and when I had to have a...

I had natural DD breasts and when I had to have a double mastectomy it was devastating. Luckily I chose to work with Dr. Rad who assured me that I could look and feel as good as ever after tissue expanders and implants. His skills as a surgeon are top notch and he has an artistic eye for details like symmetry and shape. He was always willing to spend extra time making sure I was comfortable and that all of my questions and concerns were addressed. He even answered my emails quickly. He seemed very respectful of my time, keeping office waits short. That is a rarity. He made the difficult process of reconstruction so much easier, which was priceless to me and my family.
A few months after my surgery my body rejected one of the implants (extrusion) and I was hysterical. Dr. Rad was so calm and explained how he could perform a "lat flap" reconstruction to repair it and I would be back to work only 2 weeks later. He is a specialist in micro-vascular surgery so I did not have to go and find someone new when this happened. I am very thin and did not have many options for fat/skin grafting. He knew just what to do and I never had to lose the implant which would have been very upsetting. I did return to work only 13 days later feeling so good and the scars were minimal and quickly fading. I look so good that 3 different acquaintances who did not know about my cancer experience asked me who did my "boob job." I can not ask for better results than that.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

8 day post op photo

Enjoying the sun at my house only 8 days after my left side lat flap.You can see I still had 2 surgical drains.

Congratulations! Gosh, you look fantastic in your photos! I couldn't agree more with you that reconstruction is both a mental and physical process. I'm so happy to hear you found a surgeon that took into consideration all of your concerns throughout the process. Did you have a nipple sparing procedure or did you do reconstruction or tattoos? Thank you so much for taking the time to share your story on RealSelf!

I had an areola sparing procedure but lost the nipples and I don't feel the need to try and reconstruct them. I have scars hidden in my inframamnary folds. I have a scar on the left under side where I experienced the implant extrusion and the vascularized skin from my back fixed it. it is fading very quickly!

Seems like many women opt not to reconstruct the nipple. Have you considered a tattoo? Glad to hear the scars are fading!

view of back scar

This is what my lat flap scar looks like 10 weeks after surgery

I was also a 34DD prior to bi-lateral mastectomy. How many cc's did you fill your expanders to and what type of implant did you use? I am currently expanded to 500cc's and it looks really small to me! You look great!!!
Prior to my left mastectomy, I was. 36 DDD, completely natural. Post surgery, I had an expander for three months then surgery. Silicone implant, 800 cc which is a D cup, and reduction and lift to my right. I can't get over how small I look, my surgeon refuses to use anything over a D, even if you were bigger naturally. Now, one month post op, my implant is completely flat, no breast protrusion at all, the skin is rippled and has divots in it. In other words, I hate it! I have become so depressed. Plus there is a large fat pad that has moved into my armpit area. My Doctor feels I am making a big deal out of nothing, but I see what I see! I am angry that a woman who goes in for bigger boobs comes out looking beautiful, while a woman suffering from breast cancer , sometimes, looks like a sewn together old blanket? I am thankful I survived cancer, but depressed over the disfigurement that will remind me daily of what I have been through? Thanks for the information. I am truly, jealous!
Reconstruction is covered by law under your insurance. You don't have to settle for results you are so dissatisfied with. You should be consulting other plastic surgeons in your area. There are many stories on here of women who switched doctors and achieved the results they were seeking. I am proof that it is possible to be over a D cup however if you had radiation or have other medical issues then that could certainly limit how your skin can stretch and adapt. I am not a doctor but I know that you should not have to live with "no breast protrusion at all." If you are in the DC area I urge you to go and see Dr. Rad. Good luck and please update us if you have revision surgery!
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon

I would not hesitate to recommend Dr. Rad for breast reconstruction as he is both a highly skilled surgeon as well as an artist. That combination is perfect. I am very happy with the results of my reconstruction after BMX. Dr. Rad did everything he said he would do and more. I really feel like he cared about me both as a patient and a person. Reconstruction is a physical process but has a mental component to it and I think some doctors do not think much about that from a woman's perspective. I felt like Dr. Rad did. Adding this to his top notch surgical skills made the process so much easier. I look and feel great.