Upper and Lower Lids

I had this done upper and lower one month ago, my...

I had this done upper and lower one month ago, my eyes are still swollen, dry and irritated my lower lids protude from my eyeball and the dr says to MASSAGE IT... my eyes dont seal when i close them and im putting steroid drops in 2 times a day along w/gel drops. it feels like there is sand in my eyes all the time, dr says this is normal ARE YOU KIDDING would of been nice to know before going into this.

Would make sure you have a surgeon that is a specialist in this type of procedure, there out there to SELL SELL SELL...be very careful!

Also something I forgot to tell you is that using too many steroid drops can cause cataracts and glaucoma. Some people are "steroid responders" and the pressure in their eyes can really shoot up fast (glaucoma). To get cataracts though you have to use it for a long time. I know this because I have had bouts of UVeitis and have used a lot of steroid drops (even had steroid shots in my eye three times). Although the steroid drops I used(pred forte) is probably a lot stronger than the steroid drop your doctor has you on. I am not a steroid responder but you never know if you are until it happens.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that there is a site I went to that has a message board for dry eye. It is full of information about dry eye. What works for one person might not work for the next. The site is Dry Eye Zone Talk. I don't know if they let us post links to other sites but I will post the link for you and take my chances. If they delete it just google the name.

Edited by Sharon: We deleted it. Please share links privately. :)
I have been through a lot with dry eye after my lower bleph back in aug 2008. I use gen-teal gel at night and Systane (the preservative-free vials) during the day, also keep them in the fridge, it really feels good when they are cold. I like the vials because you can contaminate a bottle pretty easily and the preservatives they put in them can worsen your dry eye if you are allergic to it. I recently found out that castor oil (cold pressed) feels REALLY good in the eye (you can get it at any vitamin shop really cheap). I bought a dropper with a bottle for my eye. There are a ton of uses for castor oil too, google it. It has been used for years for eye irritants. It is also an ingredient in Restasis. I have used Restasis but it burned bad and I gave up (after three months and trying it a 2nd time). Also use warm compresses as often as you can, they help a LOT (as well as massaging the upper and lower lid). I just had a revisionlower bleph (two weeks ago) and I haven't used the castor oil since the revision. I forgot to ask my doctor if it was safe to use it yet when I saw him tuesday but I did ask my Opthamologist before my bleph revision (who I see for my dry eye) and he said it was fine to use it. He also gave me a sample of Smoothe XP lubricating drops but to be honest, castor oil feels the best. I got to the point that I only used it at night and I didn't need anything during the day.
Omg! I am glad that your revision results are good, I am happy for you. It gives me hope that I could get (can) get a revision. I had my eyelid surgery about 39 days ago. I guess I have the same problem you had before? My lower right eyelid is pulled back and it makes me look like one eye is smaller than the other. I feel terrible about that! They look a bit uneven, I put tape on the lower corner of that eye because I can feel the air in that eye only and makes that eye red. I don't know if the tape will work but it feels better when I do it. I don't know how soon can a get it fixed. Lately that's all I think about and its depressing and regreting my decision. Not to mention my nose (I had a nose job too) looks also crooked. :( I am only thinking about the money I will have to spend to get the revisions. For now, I am just worried about my eye. Also, I am afraid I am trying to find a good Ophthalmic plastic surgeon. Do you think that putting tape or massaging that area could work?
i had upper and lower on oct 19,2009 and it takes much longer than a month or two to heal. i am four and a half months post and am finally seeing the result. i had to do massage for the lower lids and had some residual swelling up to about a month ago. the real key is patience and i don't think the surgeons prepare their patients for the long recovery time. when they say 2 weeks to a month recovery i think that is rare.
Hi Gizmo you give me some kinda hope, I had my surgery to be exact 26 days ago and my eyes bother me a lot, I feel like my right eye is pulled down from the lower lid. I am worried like you can may see on my other comments. Hopefully with time they will correct themselves. How did you have to massage your eyes? I am unable to see my doctor since my surgery was done in South America and I am back in the States. However, I have an appt next week to get a second opinion. Thanks
I'm not Gizmo but I had my revision surgery 28 days ago today. The reason your eye is retracting most likely is because of scar tissue, you need to break up the scar tissue. My oculoplastic surgeon had to release the scar tissue from the previous lower bleph, slight cheek lift then do a canthoplasty (only on the right eye) to fix my retraction. He told me to just push up on the lower lid. He did it for me to show me and he used stronger pressure than I would have used so I'm glad he showed me. He had me look up at the ceiling while he pushed rather far up on my lid. He also told me to just do it on the outer corner of the lower lid only. I think that was just because I had a canthoplasty and not a regular bleph. My previous PS who did the original bleph told me to do more of a massage motion from the inner corner of the lower lid and move my way out in a small circular motion while pushing up on the lid. I didn't take massaging my eye seriously the first time around. I wish I would have, maybe I wouldn't have had to have the revision.
Finally I get to know what they mean by massaging ur lower lid u explain it very well. Can u tell me d name of ur surgeon who perform ur revision please. I have sclera show or ectropion n i need revision so I need references. Can u tell me more less how much was the revision please n if is not to much to ask can i see pictures. I had a quadblepharoplasty 9yrs ago n it left me with a sclera show Dr. tried to fix it by wedge resection twice improved a little but not enough, so at this moment im ready for a revision but I want to make sure this time I have the appropiate surgeon.
My apologies - correct spelling is ECTROPION. Google it. Apparently it is a common complication after lower blepharoplasty if too much skin is taken.
Maybe you should ask another doctor about ectropian. It sounds like that is what you are describing when you say your lower lids protrude from your eyeballs. It is not normal, it is caused by a surgical mistake. I think maybe you should seek a second opinion as your current doctor seems to be giving you the brush off. Good luck!
I got a perscription for Restasis (sp?) for the dry eye condition. It is a very expensive perscription but my insurance paid for it. It really helped with the dry eye and the irritation. It seems strange you are still swollen after over a month. It sounds like your surgeon may have taken too much skin from your uppers but don't get too worried until you give it time. I know it is hard to do, but things level off and change. I had swelling for a while but it was minimal. Didn't really bother me. Good luck!