After Much Hard Work, A Panni and Hernia Repair for Me! - Exeter, NH

I had Gastric Bypass in 2003 at the age of 23. I...

I had Gastric Bypass in 2003 at the age of 23. I lost over 120 lbs or so. I was left with a lot of loose skin but by the time I was able to get the skin removed I had lost my insurance. So I waited. And soon life became too hectic to even think about getting it done. I was already a mom of toddler twins and after the surgery I fell in love with the man who is now my husband. I gave birth to our son in 2012. Because of the fact that I simply can't relax I gave myself a hernia along the c-section scar line. I discovered it a year later. But again, insurance was an issue so I put it off. It progressively became larger and affected how I moved each day. I had lost all of my baby weight through diet and exercise but the hernia kept me from continuing the active lifestyle. I gained about ten lbs back.

Finally with insurance I contacted my PCP about hernia repair. And I brought up the possibility of having the excess skin removed at the same time. The combo procedure is fairly common. So I was referred to two drs at Exeter Hospital. My PS was to be Kimberly Marble and my hernia surgeon was Dr. Leefmans.

Both were very wonderful. Dr. Marble's office and her staff went above and beyond for me. After my insurance initially denied my panni they helped me appeal and win. The entire staff is friendly, sweet, funny and makes you feel very comfortable.

I went in for surgery June 9th 2014 and spent one night in the hospital recovering. The recovery has been harder than I expected. I'm sore and swollen most of the time. When I was sent home I was instructed to wear two binders and place a towel under them for additional compression. This proved to be difficult for me. It was hard to move and I felt super uncomfortable constantly. I also had three drains coming out near my lady bits. Those were terrible to deal with. Made it hard to move, but a necessary evil.

I had lots of help at home between my teen twin daughters and my husband who took a week off to help me. My toddler was tough. He didn't quite understand why he couldn't jump on mommy anymore, but he's doing much better now.

I'll be three weeks post op on Monday (in three days). I'm still sore, am down to one binder and I swell easily when I push myself too far.

Very much looking forward to this fall when I am looking/feeling better.

Almost One Month Later

The swelling is still prominent and of course all around my scar line is numb. But overall things seem to be healing rather well. I no longer have to wear the binder but am required to wear Spanx/Flexees all the time to hold everything in and add compression. I'm done with all medication and am able to drive and move around fairly well now. I still get really tired easily, too. One thing I've noticed is that if I overdo it I'll feel some discomfort where my hernia was repaired. That's when I know to stop what I'm doing and go lay down with an ice pack.

I'm pretty happy with the way things look. The only exception being that my belly button is definitely off-center. But from what I read that is a possibility during pannis. Besides, I'm not too concerned. It's a small price to pay for getting rid of the extra skin I've been hanging on to for so long.

At 3 weeks post-op I went on my first big outing. My younger sister and I went to see Fall Out Boy and Paramore on their Monumentour in NH. We paid extra for club seating so I could sit the entire time and have waitstaff bring me what I wanted. We also paid extra for premium parking so I didn't have to walk too far. Best money I've ever spent! I was able to enjoy the show without much discomfort. I did swell quite a bit by the end of the night, but not nearly as bad as I was expecting. I did allow myself three Angry Orchard ciders, which might have been overkill but man were they wonderful!

Now, my next follow up appointment with Dr. Marble is on the 15th of July. Hopefully she'll tell me that everything is going swimmingly and that the rest will get easier. :) I really need to ask her when I can have sex again, though, because I'm truly longing for some nookie! Haha.

Thank you guys for the encouragement you've given me so far. It's really wonderful to be able to get feedback and hear from those going through similar journeys. Much love to you all.
Portsmouth Plastic Surgeon