Waterlilly - Eugene, OR

I am 62 years old, have had implants for 35 years...

I am 62 years old, have had implants for 35 years and I am having them removed in 1 month. They are silicone and have been leaking for several months. I am finally going to have them removed. I was initially going to have saline implants put back in because I'm so concerned about my body image and how disfigured and small I will be. I've enjoyed the improved body image over the years (at the time of implant, the doctor could only fit in 6oz implants b/c I was so small) but am now considering just having the explant. Any comments, support is welcome.
Portland Plastic Surgeon

So far, surgeon has been very thorough and answered all my questions. Pre-op appointment the end of October.

Waterlily, I am 64 years old and I had my silicone breast implants removed after 24 years. They were both ruptured and once silicone is free in your body, it can result in serious health issues. You will be surprised at how well your natural breasts look. All implants leak and they say they leak within ten years. Time to find out if yours are leaking. Good luck. I am delighted I removed mine. Natural feels great! RiverRock

Thank you for starting your story on RealSelf! What about having them removed and seeing what you think before deciding on replacement? A lot of women go that route, though it can mean two surgeries/recovery times.

Please keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Thank you for the sound advise. I am strongly leaning in that direction. I appreciate this site so much. There really aren't many people to talk to about this who can answer from experience and true empathy. Thank you too.
Hi Waterlilly, I haven't scheduled my explant surgery yet due to some other unrelated issues that have taken priority. I have decided to just have them removed. I first thought I wanted to have a lift done, but have changed my mind. I want to be back to my natural self. When I think about what that will feel like, I really like it. I haven't felt like my natural self in so long. I didn't realize it, but the implants added an element of inauthenticity to me. I look forward to being just me again. I have to admit, I do worry about how saggy and flat I may be afterwards. But then I look at these lumps on my chest now and cant wait for them to be gone. As I know what I know now about silicone leakage, and capsular contractor, I realize mine have been leaking for years now. I did see a PS close to me, he felt pretty certain after examining me that there is no lymph node involvement. I do want to see another PS, as I just didn't feel completely comfortable with this one. The other options is further away but I want to have a second experience so I can know I am choosing not taking what I get. I hope you are comfortable with your PS, and your decision. I admire your courage and want to encourage you along the way if I can. It is a hard decision. Mine have been in for 39 yrs now. I am 66 so believe we have alot in common with our implants and history. Please stay in touch and let me know how you are doing. Do you have support at home emotionally and physically afterwards. I do hope so. My husband is very supportive and just wants me to be healthy. Take care and God bless. Lilacs