Removal of dark tattoo on calf

Hello everyone. First of all, i'm glad to have...

Hello everyone.
First of all, i'm glad to have found this place where people obviously have the same feelings as i have had. Im 18 (Soon to be 19) and live in Denmark, Europe. I got a fresh tattoo with a motive which i wanted, but as soon as it was there i just felt horrible. Having a tattoo wasnt me at all, and since its on my lower leg i can't hide it in the summer. I dont think it's ugly, i just dont think it fits me as a person, and it gives people the wrong impression about me. I was very depressed, but you guys probably know the feeling so not gonna go into detail. So i began searching for removal options, and in my country there is only one major laser tattoo removal clinic chain, the rest is simply small back yard businesses which i certainly dont wanna gamble with. I will post a photo so you can all see the tattoo, and tell me if you think it can be removed. I haven't honestly seen anyone who had a tattoo completely removed myself, so if you have any photos that prove it works, please do share them with me. The laser they use at the clinic is the Revlite laser, which they say is the golden standard - is that true? And do you think it can remove my tattoo completely, because if it cant, i will just be a major waste of money and time for me. The laser specialist says he can remove it completely in 7-11 sessions with his laser, but i can't trust him blindly since he is also selling the procedure. The procedure will cost around 4700$ roughly in US dollars, which is a lot of money for me. The tattoo is done in black and has a lot of shading, i dont know how many inches because im European (sorry american friends) but its roughly 15cm x 20 cm but it's slimmer in the ends.

TL:DR - Can this tattoo be removen completely with the Revlite Laser, and do you have any photo documentation of laser removal actually removing a tattoo completely?

Wish you all the best, tattoo mistakes hurt mentally, but your not alone.

If your reading this while considering getting a tattoo and you are not sure, take this advice - DONT GET IT, save yourself from a lot of pain and suffering :) Buy a t-shirt with your design instead. I hope this can save someone out there from making the same mistake i did.

Btw, the tattoo is the logo of my favorite football (soccer) club Liverpool FC, and YNWA is for You'll Never Walk Alone and the two flames are for 96 fans who died at a match in 1989.

English is not my first language, so if i made any mistakes feel free to ask me for elaboration :)

Welcome, I am thrilled you found us as well - this is such a supportive community! As you mention, and I fully agree, your tattoo is certainly not ugly - do you think you may just need a bit more time to adjust to it? Here are a few other members on the site who in a similar situation:
HALF SLEEVE TATTOO REMOVAL - NOTTINGHAM, MD
LOG FOR A LONG PAINFUL JOURNEY - DENVER, CO
Some tattoos can be fully removed with lots of patience and the fact yours is all black bodes well in your favor, here is some success stories on the site:
2 YRS POST LATE STAGE TATTOO REMOVAL~GIVE YOURSELF TIME (AND BE REALISTIC)
MY TATTOO REMOVAL - TORONTO O
LEFT WITH A GHOST OF A TATTOO -SAN JOSE, CA

Whatever you decide, keep us posted ok  :) keep you chin up!

I feel like the only way i can get complete peace of mind is to get it removed. But as im 19 and a student, 4700 dollars is a lot of money for me. I am going to have a years break soon, where i had planned to travel New Zealand and Australia for 3 months, and i have saved some money for that, which i dont think i wanna use for anything else than that. Then im going in the army for 4 months (some males have to do that in my country). Do you think i can do these things while getting laser removals, or is it too hurtful/damaging for my skin with the sun down under and the hard work in the military? I was thinking i could mabye get treatments a month before going on my travels, and then get one just after so i have a couple of weeks before going in the army. But will my skin be able to handle that, im worried :/ Also, im getting more and more used to the tattoo being there, its basically like i have accepted it, but still, i think about it often and i dont have completely peace of mind :) Thanks for the motivation Eva!

Better times

I am getting used to the thought of it being there, and i'm not depressed anymore. I'm still going to meet with a laser specialist, but that is basically to find out what my options are. I'm not going to start the removal any time soon, as i dont have the money or the opportunity to take care of it while it's healing right now in my life. Who knows, mabye i wont ever get it removed, because as of now, im actually pretty pleased with it. I'm a little concerned that it will hold me back on the job market, which is why i want to know my options, in case i at some point need it removed. I might also get a little test spot done, just to see how i react to it.

Overall i feel much better now, and i hope that this feeling last so that i can be pleased with myself and my tattoo. There are some minor things i consider getting done to my tattoo (some lines and shades i want fixed), but i dont know if im going to get them fixed or not. It might make me more satisfied about my tattoo, but then again, its unwise if i should want to remove it at a later point, so i dont know whether i should get it touched up a little or not. What are your thoughts here? :)

TL;DR - Going to keep the tattoo, still going to meet a laser specialist to know my options if i later on in life would need it removed.

How are you my friend? :)
Hi Frost, i'm fine :) Currently busy with my finals/exams! I still regret my tattoo, but i have accepted it being there i guess. Im no longer depressed, even though i do feel some discomfort wearing shorts in public. The clinic which can treat my tattoo is very expensive because there is not much competetion on the market, and i don't have the money, so removal is unfortunately probably not an option for me at this point, even though i would love to see it gone! How about you, how are you getting on?
Nice that you have things to keep you busy and that you feel better! :) And when you have the time and money i dont think you should have any problems with removal :) its very light :) you are "lucky" hehe :) I have more good days now then before so its okey :) thank you for asking! ;)

Meeting at the clinic

So today i went and spoke with my laser specialist Jan, and we spoke about my tattoo. His clinic uses the RevLite, but has also bought the picosure! :) He believes that the RevLite is best for my tattoo, while picosure is more for colors. He believes that 100% removal of the black and the shading is possible, but that the white lines might not be able to be removed. He also gave me a zap with the laser so i could feel how it is, and i didnt think it was too bad. He has given me a good offer for the whole tattoo, somewhere around 3500$, which is 1300$ less than i was quoted first time. He believes it will take me 18 months and between 6-9 treatments.

I will be going to Thailand, NZ and Australia for three months november - january, where i will be exposed to the sun a lot. He says it wont be a problem, as his laser only targets the 2nd layer of the skin and not the 1st where the pigment is, that sounds good, but mabye a little too good. Also i am going in the army from february-june next year, which may force me to take a 4 month break in between treatments, but that is allright i guess.

So right now i'm thinking of whether or not i should accept the offer. If i accept it i can have 2-3 treatments before i leave for my travel, then i can have 1 treatment when i come home, and then wait until i have done my time in the army to complete the remaining sessions. So im looking at atleast 2 years probably even more if i begin now.

To all of you who are currently going through removal, what are your experience when it comes to sun exposure and laser treatments?? :-)

I will update the blog when i have decided where to go from here!

Hey! If I were you, I would definitely take this offer. As 4 month break is not bad at all. At the moment I am waiting around 8 weeks. More time is better for fading. As for the sun, I was surprised then my doctor told me that sun and sun tan is not a problem for the laser. However, the darker the skin, the less effect you might expect from the laser. It is better to keep it covered from the sun and use sun protection. That's how I am doing. Good luck to you! I am sure you will find the best solution for yourself :)
Yeah, it's just that i cant spend too much money on this removal before i know how much i will spend travelling, so i might be forced to wait.. And also, i cant hide it from the sun while travelling, i can only apply sun screen :) So mabye waiting would be best, i dont know rly.. It depends if the sun exposure will damage my skin, my doctor says it wont.. hmmmm
I think it shouldn't damage your skin, but you should use sun protection. Maybe you should wait and see. You know better what is good for you! :) safe travels and everything! Keep up updated!

First session booked!

22th of july i will start my tattoo removal journey. I'll be paying 480$ pr. session for 7 sessions, and if there is still ink remaining afterwards i will get free treatments. So the total cost of my removal SHOULD be 3343$ according to the agreement i have with my provider. Looking forward to get started, even though it will be expensive and painful! :-)

Sounds like your clinic is pretty confident with the Revlite the fact tgat they are offering you free sessions after the 7th treatment. Sounds like a good deal to me! My doctor estimates about 5-6 sessions but not 100% removal as she personally hasn't seen that happen given that she has had the Revlite for under 2 years. Just hoping for the best outcome for the both of us and looking forward to seeing progress pics! Good luck!
I dont have unlimited free treatmens after though, i think it's 2 treatments or something like that. My provider has been able to get 100% clearance with the Revlite, but he has been doing it for quite some time now! So it is possible! Im just nervous atm., as it is a lot of money! Also the weather is pretty nice where i live these days, so not being able to wear shorts will be a pain in the butt! And then there is also the fear of being left with something way worse than i have now - but i think the thought of having it gone forever overshadows that, and makes me excited to get started! :-)
Hey, you are certainly not alone! I have a similar tattoo in dimensions on my back, I have had my first consultation already and I will start my treatments after the summer, mid-September most likely. I will post my story as well, after the first treatment. Be patient and possitive and everything will come your way! ;-)

Treatment #1

Just came back from the office. Did the treatment with no numbing cream, only the cold air machine. He used the Revlite laser. It hurt pretty bad, but it didnt take more than 5 minutes. There was a nice frosting all over the tat. Now the tattoo is red and raised as you can see in the photos. He didnt wrap it up afterwards, but he put some sort of gel on it, that hospitals use on people who have got burnt. He said that i shouldn't be afraid to go excersise or work or anything, he even told me that i could go out in the sun, and thats its only the old lasers that cant treat people with tanned skin. I got a 50% discount on the treatment because i am a new customer. All in all a good experience, and i feel like im in good hands, even though his aftercare advice differs a lot from others i have read on here :-) Now i just hope that i see some fading once the redness goes away :) Cheers

Congrats on your first treatment! I know it's too soon to tell but from your pics, looks like some of the shading have already disappeared! I'm positive you'll see more changes in the weeks to come. How long do you intend to wait in between treatments? I just had my 2nd treatment with the Revlite last week and I already see changes...I'm pretty amazed with this laser.
Because of things im doing in life the next year (going travelling, army etc.) i'll have to wait 2,5 months, then 3,5 months, then 4,5 months - and after that i dont have anything planned, so then i can do whatever i like. But i think i will wait atleast 2 months between every session, to let my body heal :-) and also to make it easier to afford $$$! How long does it take your skin to return to normal after laser? (not red/raised etc.)
I think that's a good spacing in between sessions! It's already been a week since my 2nd treatment and some of the redness have gone and my skin isn't raised anymore which I think is just due to swelling. It pretty much stopped swelling on the 3rd day. What I notice now that it's been a week is that some of the black ink are still slightly raised and some parts are getting dry. I just put Bio Oil on my tattoo if I feel it's getting too dry. Interestingly, I haven't experienced any itching like some go through after laser treatment. Happy healing!

Partial removal?

My first session went well and i am almost all healed up (although it is a tiny bit raised and scabbing still).
My tattoo is already much lighter/brownish in the shading, and the thin black lines around it is breaking up. The thick black lines havent changed.

But lately i have been considering only removing everything around the bird. All the things im unhappy about with the tat, is in all the shit that is around the logo(bird). When i went in there originally, i dit it to get the logo, and thats it. So i have been thinking, that mabye i will be pleased if i just remove everything but the bird. I am not against tattoos in general, its just that i dont think SOME PARTS of mine turned out like i wanted it. Any of you guys who have considered partial removal of the part your unhappy about, instead of the whole thing? And no the bird doesnt look bad after #1 treatment, it looks a little lighter, but nothing much :)

I will post pictures of the result of treatment #1 the day before treatment #2 which is scheduled for october 1st :)
Cheers

Hey there, do you have any photos for us?
It's still a little itchy, so its still healing :-) Im gonna put up photos of treatment #1 results shortly before treatment number 2 which is in a months time :-)

Result of treatment #1

Today i went for treatment #2, he turned up the machine a bit, hurt like hell, but was done quickly. For me these sessions take less than 5 minutes. Not so much frosting (hope this is because less ink), but i did see some though. These pictures are taken right before treatment #2.

very impressive results man
I also have talked with Jan at the same clinic, and am considering undergoing treatments to remove my forearm tattoo. It is huge, from wrist to elbow(2½months old). And he tells me that I shouldn't wait for picosure. He is going to send me an offer from their clinic to start removal. Did you get any blisters? I have a hard time finding any photo evidence from Revlite of large tattoos complete removals, did you find anything helpful?
I also have some white in mine, so sadness me to hear what you say about the white ink
Jan