After IPL and ALA my Skin is Radiant!

When I first had the procedure, I was not quite...

When I first had the procedure, I was not quite sure what to expect for recovery over the next few days. The doctor I went to did a phenominal job. First the ALA cream was applied and allowed to incubate for 1 hour. After that, a numbing cream was rubbed on my face which sat for 1/2 hour. The doctor then started the procedure. While the procedure was being done, the doctor applied utlrasound lotion to my skin before he applied any IPL light. I never felt heat or any pain. I would say the procedure was PAINLESS! I left the office slathered in sunscreen wearing a wide brim hat and stayed out of the sun completly for two days. My skin was quite red.

Over the next week my skin turned very red and resembled a dry creek bed. I will be honest and say I was very worried that I might look like a dry creek bed the rest of my life. I thought I had been burned by the IPL light.It appears I had a severe reaction to the ALA used in the procedure, but the doctor's office reassured me that all would turn out well. I had a tremendous amount of sun dammage and pre-cancers on my face.

My skin peeled excessively for about 18 days. When the peeling was done my new skin was reveled and I could not be happier. I constantly get comments on how clear my skin looks. All the pre-cancers are gone and so are the brown spots from sun damage. This is just from one treatment!

I am planning to have the sun dammage on my chest treated next. i wear sunscreen everyday now and wear a hat when I am outside in the sun for any amount of time. I want to keep my new skin looking beautiful.

The doctor I went is a dermatologist/plastic surgeon. He is a perfectionist and I feel at ease in his office. I have had numerous MOHS surgeries done by him and his work is superb. I have recommended him to many friends and family members and they are all thrilled with his work. His office staff and nurses are top notch also.

Time has gone by; it's now been 3 months since I have had IPL; V-Beam and Blu-light.

I can honestly say I see no difference in my skin. Everything that was "red" prior is still red; every "age-spot" is still there.

All I lost was money! I was really hoping to SEE some difference after all that! But nope.
I had the IPL with ALA. I wonder if the ALA is what made the difference with my skin? I am not sure who did your procedure, but I went to a dermatologist/plastic surgeon. He is well-respected in my area. It is also my understanding that some people need more than one treatment. I got excellent results with the one treatment. Perhaps you might need another treatment? I am sorry your experience did not turn out like mine.

Thanks for the great tips and suggestions Baxter. The community really appreciates it. How are you doing these days with your treatment?

Thanks,

Like RealSelf? Join us on Facebook

Hi 4755,

Have you gone back to your doctor to see why nothing happened? Maybe the strength of the laser was to low. Please keep us updated.

Thanks,

-Britt

Yes; I have been back into the same doctor. But she just brushed off my concerns; said "she saw" some difference; but I told her and the her nurses that I do not.

She did not offer to do the laser a second time, even though I said the first time made zero difference on any of my skin issues. And my home magnifying mirror tells me not one red-spot, not one age spot and not one broken capillary changed post laser.

I feel wasted my money; and she was a well respected demotoloisgt and laser specialist in Del Mar. Very expensive.

Hi 4755,

I'm sorry the procedure did not go as you hoped, but at least it sounds like it did not burn you or anything worse, it sucks how it was expensive though. Thanks for the update.

-Britt

I see you are in DelMar. Dr. Lashgari is in Encinitas and he did mine. I could not be happier and you might want to give him a try (at least for a consult.)
Please, share yours Doc's and the name of the place you had done yours
procedure please. Thank you
I appreciate your post as I also have had IPL, V-beam & Blu-light all in one appointment. It has been about 1 1/2 weeks and I admit I am worried because I do not see anything happening other than "being red" and some peeling! I do not see any cosmetic changes yet in age spots or broken capillaries. But you said your skin peeled for 18 days! So it gives me some hope that I may see some benefit to my procedure with a little more time.
Hang in there! My face was a mess for almost three weeks. I stayed in the house and away from the public. There was no way I could have gone to work. After the peeling was finished, my new skin is smooth and very even toned. I will say to keep your hands away from you healing skin and do not pick at it. I used Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser to wash with and moistruized with Cetaphil moisturizing cream after washing. I did this twice a day. On the really dry areas, I used Aquaphor Healing Ointment. These were my doctor's directions. I think once all the healing is complete you will be very happy with the outcome of your procedure.