So Excited at the Thought of Loosing my Baby Belly! - El Paso, TX

Hi everyone, my name is Jackie. I am a 31 year old...

Hi everyone, my name is Jackie. I am a 31 year old mother of two, ages 3 and 21 months. I am a Registered Nurse and live in El Paso, TX. After my first baby, my body started to bounce back (I somehow manage to escape without a single stretch mark). I became pregnant with my 2nd baby when my first was just 10 months old. My body did NOT fare so well this time. I have really big love handles that give my hips a boxy look that is difficult to hide. I also have stretch marks and a floppy pouch at my suprapubic area. I never considered abdominoplasty until I stumbled upon this site and saw some really excellent results. So, I worked up the courage to schedule a consultation for October 4th! I cant imagine how wonderful it must feel to put jeans on and not have floppy skin squeezing over the top like bread dough!

Ok, so has anyone had to deal with guilt over...

Ok, so has anyone had to deal with guilt over wanting/having a tummy tuck? I still have my consultation for October 4th, but am starting to feel selfish for wanting to spend this much money on myself. I also feel like my recovery will be hard on my kids (ages 2 and 3). No, they do not lack anything, and yes, my hubby has all manner of expensive toys. I just feel like I am making a selfish choice. How have any of you handled these feelings? Did you go thru it anyway? Regrets? Any advice or stories are appreciated!

back in the saddle

Hello everyone, I had a tummy tuck scheduled in 2012 and then found out we were having a surprise baby 1 month preop. Now that our wonderful surprise baby will be two, I am starting to think about reconstructing my sad body. I am starting from scratch with my surgeon selection as things have changed here in el paso plastic surgery wisw over the past few years. Also, curious, surgeons here state they are skilled with the braziliamn buttlift surgery, but I have yet to read a review for that. Anyone local have direct experience?
Consultation scheduled with Dr. Reynolds

Did you ever decide on a surgeon here in El Paso to get your tummy tuck done with? If so, I would like to know if all went well! I don't want to end up with dog ears if I choose the wrong doctor!
Jackieliz

Guilt is a normal feeling to have. I think that if you read most of the profiles on the site mention guilt at one point. It's okay to do something for yourself. Just make sure that this is what YOU want. It is a very big decision and it's good to have support around you. Focus on the positive and best of luck. :)
Hi Jackieliz, yes the two docs. have done this procedure many times before and have it all coordinated: the PS comes in to do the opening, the GYN does his part, and then the PS returns to do the muscle repair and closing. I suppose that is why my GYN basically insisted that this PS do the TT. I did research him pretty extensively and so meeting him in person was just the icing on the cake as to my confidence in him (no need for other opinions). I think it is the GYN portion that requires the hospital stay, as they'll be messing about with my bladder, uterus and rectum. I think they have to make sure everything is in working order before they can send me home. But, I think it will be helpful for the TT recovery, as well.
I am glad to hear that you are doing your homework, too! It's great that your sister lives in Albuquerque, if you decide to go there. Don't they have a great Balloon festival in October? : )
Yup, in fact, my birthday is Oct 1 and as a child we would celebrate by birthday by waking up at like 4:30 am and going the balloon fiesta. I'm glad to hear you have so much confidence in your ps, I hope Im able to find someone that inspires me in the same way.
Hi JackieLiz! I am scheduled for my TT and prolapse surgery next week (9/12). I got to TT surgery via a prolapse problem and discovered that I was a candidate for both procedures at once (will save time in recovery as well as cost). I only went to the one PS that I was referred to my my Uro-Gyn and was so pleased with him, his results and credentials that I never even got a second opinion. However, it sounds like your situation is a little different. If you are not pleased with the results you have seen by your local PSs, why don't you consider travelling? It will likely mean a bit more money, but I would suggest you take your time, save the money and get a few more opinions until you are really satisfied and confident. This is a big procedure, painful and long recovery... you probably do not want to have to go through a revision afterwards if you can avoid it.
Just my two cents. Good luck to you, whatever you choose!! : )
Thanks for the advice, I am considering travel more and more. At this point, I have 2 consults scheduled with local surgeons. If I leave those appts dissatisfied, I will likely branch out to Albuquerque. Its a 4 hour drive and my sister lives there. If I ask her nicely, she may let me stay a week or so to recup at her house. So you are next week, wow, that's gonna come up in no time! So do the PS and GYN just coordinate the OR time back to back? That is a great idea to knock 2 procedures out at once, 1 recovery and all that sort of thing. Will you have to stay overnite in the hospital because you are having 2 procedures?
Hey just read your bio...that is great!!! Yes, I am sooo happy, I don't think you will regret it!! I got really big with my second child to...I remember the feeling of my stomach on my legs when I sat down...ugh! :) Congrats on making the decision, that is the big first step!!!
Yes, the feeling of my stomach on legs is GROSS! As is the sensation of my pooch jiggling when I run. I feel like a giant gummy bear.

Welcome to RealSelf:)

October will be here before you know it.  I look forward to following your journey and sharing your happy results!

Funny how our poor tummies don't bounce back after the second child.  Well soon you will be sliding into your jeans without a muffin top and will love it.

Hi, thanks for the comment. I am beginning to think October is too far off for my consult...I wish it were sooner! But, I will be patient like a good girl. How many consultations do most people have before the pick a surgeon?

I highly recommend 3 or more before making any final decisions.  Even if the first doctor seem like he or she is for you...keep looking.

Then if everything checks out as far as credentials etc then listen to your gut.  Go with your first reaction and that will never lead you down the wrong path.

Thanks for the advice. The problem that I am running into is that El Paso is a tremendously underserved community healthcare wise. There are only 4 surgeons (that I know of) that are members of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery in this area-which I insist be a qualification. One of them performed tummy tucks on 3 of my friends...all have really pronounced "dog ears". I will have to research the others more thoroughly. Did you have any problems with your scarring? Was your surgeon readily willing to fix this?

I was extremely fortunate and never had any problems.  My surgeon is amazing and had follow up appointments with me for 9 months after surgery.  He was always there for phone calls and would see me whenever I needed.  His nurse was also fantastic and pulled a couple of stitches for me as needed.

Keep doing your research and you will find the correct surgeon.  What is the next largest town close to you?  Maybe ever a little drive and you would find more of a selection?

I had 4 and actually thought that the fourth one wasn't needed and he is the one I scheduled my TT with for Oct 6. Good luck!
Unfortunately, El Paso is pretty isolated. The nearest larger cities would be Albuquerque or Phoenix/Scottsdale; both being 4-6 hr trips by car.