Starting Tattoo Removal - Edinburgh, GB

Long story cut short I had a tattoo done in my...

Long story cut short I had a tattoo done in my forearm about two years ago, I hated it and decided to get a shiny new tattoo next to it thinking It would make me like it, which I don't. I absaloutly hate it and for the last 3 months I won't wear anything short sleeved, not even to bed! I'm getting so down about this so I book a consultation and have been quoted £90 a session from a laserase clinic. I have now booked my first treatment in for 21st of feb and I'm terrified! They won't let me use numbing cream at this clinic but they have cooling machine, how do you guys feel about the pain? I'm beginning to think I should cancel as I'm so anxious about it all :(!! I'm hopefully for complete removal and she said it should take between 8-12 sessions for remove it. I've been reading everyone's reviews for months and you's are all so inspirational and speak so positive about the situation. I hate myself for getting into this position

Dr Robertson

Hi there, hope you are feeling better, did you end up going for your removal?

aloha Abbieh1602, I understand your nervousness. I was going to have part of an old tattoo lasered off, but was apprehensive about the pain, the healing and so I went and had more added to the tattoo hoping to like it. As the artist was bandaging it up all I could think was "well this gonna be lasered off". And six weeks later I began. My nervousness turned to laughter at the first session. Fear is our biggest blockade to happiness. I hope you proceded with the sessions. This forum is great with helping others and it's helped me. Most of us have our own review (myself included) and we're open to private messaging to help/support others in the forum. Thanks for sharing your story and please update. I'd like to know how you got along. Wishing you all the best. aloha...k
*Abbie (Apologises).
Hi Annie Just wanted to wish you luck on your upcoming tattoo removal. I find taking deep breaths does help and don't be afraid to ask for some water if it helps.
So nice to hear from somebody from the same place! I was going to book in there but changed my mind last minute, let me know how you get on and how the clinic is? My 1st treatment is the 21st but I reckon ill have to change as I'm shorter in money than I thought lol I'm so scared though! I'm really fair skinned aswell but the lady I spoke to said that's better. Fingers crossed for you!
I'm in Edinburgh too and I have my first session on March 12th (wanted it earlier but I'm going on holiday so they wouldn't let it be any earlier than four weeks after I get back, so annoying because I stressed time and again I won't be sunburnt because I'm extremely fair and wear factor 60,000 SPF when I'm in the sun, but they wouldn't believe me... gah) but anyway, I'm booked in with Sk:n on the deals they had with 30% off. My tattoo is HUGE, on my ribs, and I'm in the same position as you... I can't believe this is happening to me, and I'm so worried and anxious about the whole thing :( and I'm so scared, because I paid close to a grand for 8 treatments, and what if it doesn't work, what can I expect etc etc... and the test patch was SO painful, I just hope the numbing cream works!!! Omg... I'm with you!
I went without numbing cream for my first 6 session and it really hurts but it's a fairly quick process. I've never used a cooling machine but I hear they work really well too. Good luck. Why won't they let you use it?
I've actually been reading your review, your fading is amazing! They said they don't recommend using numbing cream with their laser and that I will get better results without it, I had to phone up and ask because I forgot to ask on consultation so they didn't explain it much.

It makes me so sad to read "I hate myself for getting into this position". Please don't be so harsh on yourself. We all do things, then later think - what was I thinking?! We have to be forgiving with ourselves, as we would be with others.

As for your treatment and your concern with the level of pain; since it sounds like its possible to buy a single session at the place you are considering going to you could always go, tell them you aren't sure you are going to complete the treatment, then try it. If you need to have them stop part way through the treatment, do. You can then know wheteher this is the place for you to have your removal done and you can start researching other places if needed. If you are too scared to do that, personally I'd say keep researching places out until you feel comfortable enough with a place you find to try it.

You'll get there, and you'll find the right place, just be patient with yourself in the process. We're here to lean on and vent to between now and then. :)

I went to a few consultations, one who allowed numbing cream and one who didn't, I went with the one who didn't because the doctor was so comforting and made me feel so relaxed. That's a good idea though, at least if I go in and it's too painful I can change to the place with the numbing cream. I'm nervous but excited to get this whole process started. Im just glad I found this site where everybody is so positive, I feel a lot better knowing so many people are here supporting eachother. Only my boyfriend knows I am going in for laser tattoo removal not even my family as I'm feeling embarrassed about the whole thing so it's nice to have people to talk to, thank you :)

I'll be wishing you the best on your trial run. Please let us know how it goes for you, and if you will be continuing with more at the same place or switching. Hoping for a good experience for you!!

I have completed my 2nd session! The 1st wasn't bad and it is pretty quick - second session was a little more uncomfortable due to them increasing the intensity! Completley worth it - by the way; it is acrossed the side of my neck. You will do great
Thank you! One day im so excited to get it started then the next i get down cause im worried about it! im sure once the first session is down ill probably be desperate to get my next one lol its the thought of it more than anything. so scared ill pass out or something! do you use numbing cream?
Right before I do each session I get really anxious. I think that part is just natural! I do not use numbing cream but the one I am working is not as large as yours so it goes pretty quick! You won't pass out but the first thing that popped in my mind right after " what was I thinking " lol about getting the tattoo.
I had very very similar feelings. I was pretty nervous to start the process. I think it's very normal to feel this way, simply because we don't know what to expect. I wasn't offered numbing cream (I think because of the type of laser they're using on mine) and there was not any kind of cooling mechanism. But I have to tell you, the anticipation and mental anguish I put myself through is laughable now, knowing that I can tolerate the treatment. You will do great! I promise--if you can sit through a tattoo, you will sit like a champ for laser! Try to be gentle with yourself and your feelings toward the experience. Our tattoos are not us, they're mere markings on our bodies. :) If you can, embrace the experience and glean what is positive (I know sometimes it can be tough). And you're doing the right thing by getting involved in a community of people that can support you and share your concerns and fears. Good lookin' out--you're going to do great!
Thank you so much! Yeah that's exactly it, I always get myself so wound up that I make myself think its worse than it is! I saw most reviews on here were from people who used numbing cream so it's very comforting knowing that so many people do it without! Makes me feel a lot more relaxed about it all, I'm excited for my first session can't wait to get this thing off me! I got it done underage as well which is another reason I get so annoyed at myself! It's defiantly a live and learn situation!
I'm already thinking that so that won't change lol I got in done underage which is another reason I get so annoyed at myself! It's comforting to know there's other people who do it without numbing cream, I've got it in my head the pains gonna be excruciating without the cream so knowing that you guys can do it without it, especially on your neck , makes me a lot more relaxed about it all!
If you're not able to use numbing cream they should be able to numb you with ice (and give you ice to take with you as soon as you're done). My dr had a nifty little ice roller that she applied in between lasers that was helpful. Just take deep breaths and keep your eye on the prize--you're working to improve something within your control and power, and that's something to be proud of! Honestly, like I mentioned before--if you can sit through a tattoo, this will feel like a breeze. And one of the best parts: It's SOOOO quick!! Feel empowered! :)