TOMORROW is the day!! Nervous - Edina, MN

I have had insecurities about my nose since I was...

I have had insecurities about my nose since I was about 6. I also have breathing issues and other functional issues with my nose. I thought why not get everything fixed at once. I will have a septorhinoplasty on June 9th and I am terrified! I also am a mom to a toddler, so that should be fun! :)

3 weeks out!

I'm three weeks out for surgery and more terrified than ever. It's becoming "real" as I send in finances and receive all the paper work for the actual surgery. Eek!

Any ideas from people who have gone through this, when should I start taking arnica? I already have it but have no idea when to start.

Any tips on things ill need after surgery!?

Thanks all!

Do NOT YouTube!! :)

So the other night, I YouTubed "Rhinoplasty"...do NOT do it. Why did I do that? I am usually one to believe "the less ya know, the better". In this case, it is so true. I keep having flashing images in my mind of the surgical procedure. Id probably want to back out if I hadn't already paid thousands of dollars towards the surgery. Eek! Does it disgust anyone else to think about what they actually do while you're out? I need help calming down about this whole thing. My nerves are getting to me and Im only 9 days out!!!

Chair or bed?

So for those of you that have gone through the surgery, did you sleep in a reclining chair? Or a bed for the first several days?!

Thanks everyone!

Thick Skin

Does anyone who has completed a rhinoplasty have thick skin? If so, how did it turn out? I have thick skin I guess so I'm hoping it doesn't with hold the results from being awesome....

Let The Count Down Begin

I'm going in on Monday at 7:30AM! I am SO anxious. Not normal for me. I have everything ready that I possibly could but I still don't feel "ready".

I am worried about the pain post-op and that it will turn out as I hope. I'd hate to do all this for nothing. :/ I am hoping being I had a baby and had a 4th degree tear this pain won't compare :)

Any more tips would be great! Love having this community!!

Up Next!

Words can not describe how nervous I am. I believe I am the next one on the site to be going under the knife :) going into the surgery center on Monday at 6:15 AM! Ahhh!!

Good thing I have almost all of it paid for, otherwise I'd probably back out! SO scared

I also got a nice big blemish on the tip of my nose so I'm sure it will be HUGE when I get my cast off :/ grr.

My stomach has been acting up so much due to nerves. :( not fun

Prayers please!! :)

I can't believe it!

Seems like this day would never come but it is in about 10 hours! I am SO nervous I might throw up :/ I'm mainly nervous because I keep thinking about what they will actually be doing (thanks YouTube).

I'll try to keep you all posted. Prayers around 7:30 AM would be fantastic!!

Done!

Hello all! I'm done. It took longer than expected but I'm glad he took the needed time.

The nurses were splendid! I'm in a lottle more pain than expected, I think from the turbine procedure. But so far my profile even already looks so much better.

Signing off to rest. Please pray for me!!!

12 hours post op

So my pain has actually lessened in the last 12 hours since finishing surgery. The most annoying part is the gauZe you have to keep on, the stuffiness and sleeping in a chair! But it's not too bad

The bruising is coming. It's not horrible though. I've been applying arnica and taking the pills.

For those of you on MN, Dr Hilger is so good that one of his nurses had also had her nose done by him. That is his area of expertise. The nurse said she's seen about 20 other doctors perform rhinoplasties (as that's all she assists with)... And she chose Dr H! That speaks volumes.

Good so far!!! I can't wait to see the final results. It's already surreal!

Post op question

So... I have had a lot of swelling! A lot! I can hardly see ha! I've been cleaning just inside my nose and noticed the base of it seems extremely wide!! Anyone else notice this or feel this way about their nose? I hope it's just swelling. Yikes!! :)

3 Days Post-Op

So it has been three days since my surgery. I think I am finally starting to improve! Although, I still haven't pooped despite taking stool softeners!! Haha. Any pointers?!

As you can see from the pic, my eye swelling is finally going down. I still have quite a bit of drainage from my nose so still wear the gauze to catch it.

All and all. This has beena bit more challenging than I expected. I think it's because of the scale and amount of things he had to do to my nose. He broke it in several places as well as placed in some grafts. He also made my turbinates smaller and correct my super messes up septum.

I shall post more updates soon! Oh, my husband had just washed my hair in this pic! Yay!!!

Some Input and Encouragement Needed

Hi ladies, so I am getting really nervous. My vast comes off in 3 days but I don't even want to see it :( My tip looks SO wide and bulbus I can hardly stand to look at it. I know I have thick skin and my tip hasn't been in the cast at all so all the swelling has gone to the tip but I just don't know what to make of it.

When the splints come out does the tip get narrower at all? My tip is still completely rock hard. I can't even feel it.

Also, when did everyone's nose stop dripping stuff out? I am 4 days post op and I still need the gauze tapes below.

I'm praying I didn't so this all for nothing :( starting to get so worried/depressed. Any input would be very much appreciated

Just a tip pic

A little less swelling

The swelling finally seems to be going down a bit. Amen

Just thought I'd share a profile shot of before and after. Obviously still so swollen. The slight up turn will calm too but so far I think I'm going to like it. The projection is perfect

Forgot to add the pic for my last post :)

Smiles?

Other people have problems smiling normal right? Like your top lip doesn't move when you try and smile?! I'm 6 days post op and feel like Frankenstein!! Haha

Cast off day!

SO nervous to get my cast off and splints out!! My nose still drips so much I can't keep the gauze off. Hoping that changes.

My tip is still SO swollen! I'm scared to see the rest. I'm actually hoping he will tape it for a while longer. The tip is up turned a bit too. So odd.

Wish me luck! This went by so fast! Glad the worst is over!

Just a Tape Tip :)

So, I had my cast removal. And while I am happy with the profile, I was REALLY disappointed by the tip of my nose. While my cast was on, it did not even cover my tip. If you look back at my photos, my tip was still completely exposed. SO, during the whole week I had my cast on, ALL of the swelling went to my tip and it became like a ball at the end of my nose...literally. When the cast came off, it was just HUGE at the tip. I almost started crying right there in the office.

If you look at most people's photos with their casts on, they have tape that goes under their tip. What this does is creates shape in your nose. Differentiating your tip from your nostrils. So...for the next week 24/7, I Will be taping my nose like in my picture. And then for a couple of months just at night.

I have only been doing this for 2 days but look at the difference already! It is quite stunning on quickly you can change the healing and shape of your nose. If you haven't had your surgery yet, suggest this taping under and around your tip to your surgeon and if you have had surgery and you aren't happy with your tip shape, tart taping! You can find tons of tutorials online :)

Happy taping friends!!

Holy Tired Toad

Took a relatively short walk today. First walk or anything active in two weeks. I feel like I ran a marathon! Then I randomly crashed while trying to type an email. Anyone else get crazy tired still even almost 2 weeks post-op?! Is that normal?!

So Discouraged

So I am still very discouraged by my front view. I love my profile but there is absolutely NO definition in my tip. It's like I am wear a skin colored ball on my tip. It looks worse than before my surgery.

If you look at my pics, from the bottom it looks like it has a nice refined shape. Then straight on, it's horribly bulbus. I have been keeping it taped still 24/7. When it's taped, the front looks a lot more refined.

I know my dr didn't tape with my cast on so maybe that's why there is still little definition? I'm just so frustrated and am almost regretting having the surgery in the first place :(

Sorry about the NO makeup pics

Good bye for now

I'm not going to be on this for a while. Just getting too discouraged and obsessing about what I imagine is going to be a LONG road for me. This has been far more difficult than I'd ever imagined. Thanks for those who have encouraged me. I've loved following everyone and their journey. Blessings!!!

Ok, let's try this again...

I'm starting to feel a little better. The swelling is SLOWLY going down. I mean slowly! I usually wear tape during the day and night to try and help with that.

I think my biggest mistake is comparing myself to others on here. I assumed I'd love my nose the second my cast came off, when in fact... That is usually not the case at all (although, if you do.. Great!). :)

I keep forgetting that my surgery was over 4 hours long! My surgeon said average is 2. I had my septum fixed, turbinates reduced, tip work, small bump shaved off and an open procedure oh and I have thicker skin so it's going to take a bit to heal.

I've always been a perfectionist on myself. So of course, I was expecting immediate perfection. More than the physical aspects of this all, I think the mental part of it is the most challenging! Especially when random people come on here and say rude comments (I don't understand why that can't be monitored more closely).

Anyways, I'm finally seeing some progress. Is it great?! No! Is it in the right direction?! Yes! Il keep on keeping on believing that my surgeon is top notch and I will be thrilled with the end result.

Hurry up and leave swelling!!! Any day now! :) oh and I still can't smile with teeth yet. SO not cool ;) Hay healing all!!

Possible Infection/Reaction to Stitch?

So, I have his weird skin tag thing sticking out on one of my nostrils. I sent the pic to my dr and he thinks I might have an infection or a reaction to a stitch. Awesome :) so I have to go in tomorrow to see the dr. If they even think if touching me I'll probably faint! Haha!

Oh and has anyone had grafts done in their nose? I forgot I has those done too. They hurt a lot and the most. Grr

Here are some pics from tonight. The first pics I've ever taken at night. Finally a little shape is coming through. STILL swollen though.

Happy 4th Starting to See Improvement!

Happy Fourth everyone!

I haven't posted in a while so thought I would. The nose is still pretty far without much shape but it's getting better! I'm finally feeling comfortable in public. I STILL can't smile normally.

Hope you're all doing well!! Cheers!

For Those Who Are Discouraged...

If you read all my posts, I had times when I was really down with my nose (and I still have days...) However, I wanted to share a side by side photog if what 5 weeks can do.

So look how horribly swollen I was!! This was day two after cast removal and then on my one month post op date.

So if you're hating your nose post-op, just believe it will get better! Mine was almost like a ballon on my face! :) had a Dr appt today and he said there is still about 50% swelling that needs to go down! Whee. Got a steroid shot in my tip to help.

Enjoy! :)

Pics

2 Month Update

Someone asked for updated photos, so here ya go. It was a "bad nose" day. I was outside all day long walking around with my toddler in the sun. And I ate a lot of salt yesterday, but it is still looking better. I have a bit of uneven swelling yet but it will go down. One thing I still am eagerly awaiting, is to get my smile back! Because I had a TON of swelling post-op, the area between my nose and my upper lip is still a bit stiff. Yikes! I am without a doubt happy I went through with everything. I am so much more confident in how my nose looks. Most days it looks great and it is only going to get better! I keep looking at the last post I made with the side by side pics and there is a huge difference!
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Did a lot of research. A few friends used this Dr. I also called several other doctors, and they all referred me back to the same guy. I think Im in good hands. I just hope my expectations are met :) Now that I am post op I just wanted to add that Dr Hilger has been a better than expected Dr. My husband has called him a few times with questions and every single time Dr Hilger himself calls my husband back within minutes! I haven't come across this before with a Dr. We have been very impressed with his caring nature and general interest in me as his patient.