Bye Bye Bassett Hound Eyes! - Edina, MN

After 14 consultations I finally settled on a...

After 14 consultations I finally settled on a Facial Plastic Surgeon - Dr. Hildger in Minneapolis, Mn. In 3 short hours he turned the clock back 20 years for me. Even bruised and swollen I can tell the results are going to be fabulous. I was worried that he would be too conservative and not take enough of the fat pads out. Worries are behind me. He took just the right amount. Stitches come out on the 31st. Will up date with more photos along the way. I'm a little rough right now, but in no pain.

Upper & Lower Transconjunctive Bleph with Canthoplexy & Fat Reposition

I'm 5 days out now. Swelling down by half. Eye irritation really kicked in yesterday, finally broke down and took .25 of Oxycontin. Worked wonders. Should have done that earlier, but I didn't think of irritation as pain.

Tight and lower lids pulling away from eye.

I realize that it's still early in my healing. But around day 3 my eyes started feeling really tight. Very, very strange. Today I noticed that one eye is very irritated and red. The lid is numb and so I can't tell And today they are supper irritated and

Too tight? Canthoplexy feeling a little scarry.

Opps hit "enter" too quickly on that last Update.

Some Complications

Stitches not dissolving and allergy attack are complicating my recovery. Offending foster dog has been re-homed and many, many stitches surfacing undissolved and creating railroad tracks under my eyes. I've had to cut and pull out about 10-20? And the ones below the surface are creating painful pulling and tugging and an asymmetrical eye shape. I had to cut the stitches on the outside corners of my eyes as they were sewed up too small, meaning my lashes were buried under the corner stitches. Had to cut them loose, I could feel them poking and moving. Bizarre. Sadly, on my right eye I was too late and the skin had already fused. It's smaller then the left. Fix that later? Strange recovery. I wasn't prepared for the slowness nor the tight ( ponytail too tight) feeling you have afterwards - constantly. Some regrets. Too late now. Moving forward.

I'm including a new "before" photo taken just before surgery. Hard to tell from that view but my uppers punch way out in the inner corners like tiny balloons. Those thankfully are much improved. It will be very interesting to see if I feel the surgery was "worth it" in 6 months.

Some regrets. Ropey painful scars. Asymetry. Ponytail too-tight feeling.

Hoping this will all even out over time. I wasn't prepared for a prolonged recovery. Scars are keloiding around stitches that didn't dissolve creating tight-ropey lines in upper lids. I'm 4 weeks out and still have undissolved stitches erupting - daily. Will post pics tomorrow. Dr says it's normal to have asymmetry for the first few months. One eye is much smaller.

22 days Post Op. What do you think?

Here I am 22 days post. My surgery took 3.5 hours to perform and was Upper & Lower Belph with Fat repositioning. I was hoping to be further along with my recovery by now, but perhaps due to the degree of injury (complicated surgery) this is normal. Right eye stubbornly swollen. Do my eyes look misshapen to you?

30 days out. Dr is happy so far.

What do you think? I'm worried about the obvious asymmetry of my right eye. Surgery is a perfect opportunity to correct asymmetry - instead mine seems worse. Much more lid showing and I'm happy about that. But oh dear…I still look like I fell into the meat grinder. Redness & swelling persist.

46 days - 6.5 weeks out. Still painful

Thanks everyone for your kind and supportive words. I would be lost without you. As I reflect on my decision to have eye surgery which I contemplated for 6 years, and had 14 consultations for.... I realize now that I was completely unprepared for a long recovery. And I'm certainly surprised by the discomfort and nerve pain and numbness especially this far out. I guess I had read so many wonderful and hopeful stories about thrilling outcomes and "best decision ever" results that I missed the ones that were not so great. In my recovery I'm constantly aware of my "operated on" eyes. Ropey painful upper lid scars and a deep tightness that's hard to describe. Like my lid muscles got tacked up to something so that the poochy upper inner lid skin can't descend.

Every time I blink if feels like there's a tug and a lash digging into my the skin around my right eye. Ha Ha would have been handy if that area was numb! Every time I raise my brow the right eye tugs again and pulls eye upward. I suspect I will need a second surgery to correct this eye. I didn't dissolve the stitches and somethings catching in there. Bugs me. I can still feel the stitches under the skin. Also I still have swelling and my lower right eye does not get out of the way when I look down. I did my first batch of selfies today - no one around to take pics.

On a positive note...I think the architecture - the work on my uppers was good. Ropey painful scars aside, I think I'll eventually have a nice result. As for the lowers and the corners...need more time to tell.

Cheers everyone. Spring is around the corner. Thank heavens!

Almost 10 weeks out..

What a difference a week makes. I really feel like I'm on the "other-side" now. Progress is evident daily. Eyes are settling in. Less puffiness in the mornings. Scars are less tender and less red. I still have weird numbness, and phantom itching - go to scratch it - and it's numb. Eyelashes seem to have stopped falling out. Whew. Nice upper lid reveal. I don't think I've ever seen that much skin up there! Can't seem to rope family into taking photos - so you'll have to settle with the Selfies. What do you think? I don't think

Slowly. Ever so slowly.

I seem to have hit a plateau with my healing. Still red, ropey and painful upper lid scars. And nerve pain on one side. Asymmetry still there. Hyper pigmented lesions where stitches caused irritation. Lumps, bumps and tightness pretty much everywhere. I haven't mentioned before but I have Hashimotos and the MTHFR gene mutation. Although I manage both with meds, supplements and lifestyle (I follow AIP dietary protocol) - I think these were wild cards my PS wasn't planning on. The gene mutation may have been especially problematic? We don't break down minerals like copper, iron etc..perhaps the stitches had a mineral content? Or perhaps my body - already in overdrive and attacking even my own tissue saw the stitches as a foreign body and waged war.

Moving on.
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Peter Hilger is a Professor and Director of the Division of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery in the Department of Otolaryngology, at the University of Minnesota.