Bye Bye Bassett Hound Eyes! - Edina, MN

After 14 consultations I finally settled on a...

After 14 consultations I finally settled on a Facial Plastic Surgeon - Dr. Hildger in Minneapolis, Mn. In 3 short hours he turned the clock back 20 years for me. Even bruised and swollen I can tell the results are going to be fabulous. I was worried that he would be too conservative and not take enough of the fat pads out. Worries are behind me. He took just the right amount. Stitches come out on the 31st. Will up date with more photos along the way. I'm a little rough right now, but in no pain.

Upper & Lower Transconjunctive Bleph with Canthoplexy & Fat Reposition

I'm 5 days out now. Swelling down by half. Eye irritation really kicked in yesterday, finally broke down and took .25 of Oxycontin. Worked wonders. Should have done that earlier, but I didn't think of irritation as pain.

Tight and lower lids pulling away from eye.

I realize that it's still early in my healing. But around day 3 my eyes started feeling really tight. Very, very strange. Today I noticed that one eye is very irritated and red. The lid is numb and so I can't tell And today they are supper irritated and

Too tight? Canthoplexy feeling a little scarry.

Opps hit "enter" too quickly on that last Update.

Some Complications

Stitches not dissolving and allergy attack are complicating my recovery. Offending foster dog has been re-homed and many, many stitches surfacing undissolved and creating railroad tracks under my eyes. I've had to cut and pull out about 10-20? And the ones below the surface are creating painful pulling and tugging and an asymmetrical eye shape. I had to cut the stitches on the outside corners of my eyes as they were sewed up too small, meaning my lashes were buried under the corner stitches. Had to cut them loose, I could feel them poking and moving. Bizarre. Sadly, on my right eye I was too late and the skin had already fused. It's smaller then the left. Fix that later? Strange recovery. I wasn't prepared for the slowness nor the tight ( ponytail too tight) feeling you have afterwards - constantly. Some regrets. Too late now. Moving forward.

I'm including a new "before" photo taken just before surgery. Hard to tell from that view but my uppers punch way out in the inner corners like tiny balloons. Those thankfully are much improved. It will be very interesting to see if I feel the surgery was "worth it" in 6 months.

Some regrets. Ropey painful scars. Asymetry. Ponytail too-tight feeling.

Hoping this will all even out over time. I wasn't prepared for a prolonged recovery. Scars are keloiding around stitches that didn't dissolve creating tight-ropey lines in upper lids. I'm 4 weeks out and still have undissolved stitches erupting - daily. Will post pics tomorrow. Dr says it's normal to have asymmetry for the first few months. One eye is much smaller.

22 days Post Op. What do you think?

Here I am 22 days post. My surgery took 3.5 hours to perform and was Upper & Lower Belph with Fat repositioning. I was hoping to be further along with my recovery by now, but perhaps due to the degree of injury (complicated surgery) this is normal. Right eye stubbornly swollen. Do my eyes look misshapen to you?

30 days out. Dr is happy so far.

What do you think? I'm worried about the obvious asymmetry of my right eye. Surgery is a perfect opportunity to correct asymmetry - instead mine seems worse. Much more lid showing and I'm happy about that. But oh dear…I still look like I fell into the meat grinder. Redness & swelling persist.

46 days - 6.5 weeks out. Still painful

Thanks everyone for your kind and supportive words. I would be lost without you. As I reflect on my decision to have eye surgery which I contemplated for 6 years, and had 14 consultations for.... I realize now that I was completely unprepared for a long recovery. And I'm certainly surprised by the discomfort and nerve pain and numbness especially this far out. I guess I had read so many wonderful and hopeful stories about thrilling outcomes and "best decision ever" results that I missed the ones that were not so great. In my recovery I'm constantly aware of my "operated on" eyes. Ropey painful upper lid scars and a deep tightness that's hard to describe. Like my lid muscles got tacked up to something so that the poochy upper inner lid skin can't descend.

Every time I blink if feels like there's a tug and a lash digging into my the skin around my right eye. Ha Ha would have been handy if that area was numb! Every time I raise my brow the right eye tugs again and pulls eye upward. I suspect I will need a second surgery to correct this eye. I didn't dissolve the stitches and somethings catching in there. Bugs me. I can still feel the stitches under the skin. Also I still have swelling and my lower right eye does not get out of the way when I look down. I did my first batch of selfies today - no one around to take pics.

On a positive note...I think the architecture - the work on my uppers was good. Ropey painful scars aside, I think I'll eventually have a nice result. As for the lowers and the corners...need more time to tell.

Cheers everyone. Spring is around the corner. Thank heavens!

Almost 10 weeks out..

What a difference a week makes. I really feel like I'm on the "other-side" now. Progress is evident daily. Eyes are settling in. Less puffiness in the mornings. Scars are less tender and less red. I still have weird numbness, and phantom itching - go to scratch it - and it's numb. Eyelashes seem to have stopped falling out. Whew. Nice upper lid reveal. I don't think I've ever seen that much skin up there! Can't seem to rope family into taking photos - so you'll have to settle with the Selfies. What do you think? I don't think

Slowly. Ever so slowly.

I seem to have hit a plateau with my healing. Still red, ropey and painful upper lid scars. And nerve pain on one side. Asymmetry still there. Hyper pigmented lesions where stitches caused irritation. Lumps, bumps and tightness pretty much everywhere. I haven't mentioned before but I have Hashimotos and the MTHFR gene mutation. Although I manage both with meds, supplements and lifestyle (I follow AIP dietary protocol) - I think these were wild cards my PS wasn't planning on. The gene mutation may have been especially problematic? We don't break down minerals like copper, iron etc..perhaps the stitches had a mineral content? Or perhaps my body - already in overdrive and attacking even my own tissue saw the stitches as a foreign body and waged war.

Moving on.
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Peter Hilger is a Professor and Director of the Division of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery in the Department of Otolaryngology, at the University of Minnesota.

You look wonderful ! I had upper bleph one year ago, I too was desperate because I could tell that my eyes looked "operated", but I learned that it takes about 6 months for that swelling to go completely away. Pacience my dear, you are already looking fabulous...
Your eyes look wonderful. I hope you are happy because the difference in before and now is amazing.
I think you look great! My sons suffer from the same gene mutation and I do not know a lot about it....if you have web links or anything you can share I appreciate it. Also, can you use kelocote scar gel which is made of silicone? I have been getting good results on my eye and behind ear scars.
Your eye bags are 1000% better! You ask what I notice and that is what jumps out first. I do see that your left eye looks a bit bruised on the upper lid. That could be the lighting, as your profile pics do not look like that. I see what you mean by the slight asymmetry, but I only notice that if I really look super close; it is not very noticeable. I hope your scars feel better. What type of nerve pain are you having.
PS Sallify is right. You are still early in the healing process. Ask your surgeon what your expectations should be at this point. You look great to me.
MN, you are only two months out. You still have a lot of healing to do. I think it's too early to judge the results. I am told that by 3 months things should start looking better, and that you really won't see your final result until 6 months. What does your doctor think?
P.S. I think your eyes look great in your most recent photos!
Thanks everyone! Appreciate this forum and all of you so much! @ Ncnet - my left upper lid feels like it got tacked down back to far into the socket so when I open my eye - that skin disappears deeper into the socket. Also it feels like more than just ligaments involved - it's like the nerve itself got tacked down. Painful only when awake and open. I'm constantly aware of a low grade annoying tight-burning sensation with eyes open. Sleep is a relief. As for the Dr - I didn't want to bother him. I've had one follow up. Next one is March 24th. Really nothing much can be done until healing complete. I think I'm just a super slow healer ;-( envious of you Sallify!!
MN, you paid $7,000 for your surgery! You should not feel bad about "bothering" your doctor. This is what he's been paid so much money for. I've emailed and Skyped with my doctor several times over the past few weeks. If you have concerns, you need answers and his opinion. Please don't wait till March 24 for answers.
Definitely go see your doctor ASAP. There are drops they can give you that might help your eye issues. I was miserable until I got drops. First steroid drops and then Kero-something drops. They were and are a huge help. Call your doc tomorrow!
Looks like things have settled for you now looking great , I can identify with the stitches been awkward and I had some ropey bits as well but they getting better each day , here is wishing you great recovery and results D
Thank you! Looks like your stitches have really calmed down. Got any advise? Or did it just take time?
Really looking great, MN! I was just looking at your 3-weeks-post pictures and your eyes and incisions look very much like mine do now. I've got 7 more weeks to get to the 10-week mark, but your photos are giving me hope that everything will heal beautifully in time. Are the upper eyelid scars feeling less "rope-y and tight?"
Awwww..thanks Sallify. Feeling much relieved. Your progress is astounding! As is the amount of traffic you are getting on your posts. Do you write professionally? You should. Great style. AS for me...Yes. Less ropey and less painful. I'd say before pain earlier was a 6-7 out of 10 and now it's more of a 2-3 ...the mere discomfort zone. Scars just turned a corner and they are also softening. Still much numbness. The numbness and weird tightness inner upper lid of left eye - like the lid got tacked down to far back and in and smooched a nerve is the only thing I'm constantly aware of. Feels unnatural all the time ;-( But I expect that will also relax. As for the undissolved stitches...beware! What a bummer of a curve ball. Dr said "Well! We won't be using those on you next time (nose)! He used 3 diff types that dissolve at different times. I had trouble with the longer dissolving ones. My skin tissue healed right away with the fast dissolving ones. the longer onces caused irritation and now bumpy scars. Hopefully my body will eventually break those down. Interestingly, when I take my Hypericum Remedy...they get all itchy and hot. My Homeopath told me to take it 2-3x daily. I can only do 1x and sometimes only every other day.
Thank you, MN. I do write semi-professionally. It's not my primary occupation, but I do write a lot in my occupation. Wow, I am so sorry that you've been experiencing 6-7 out of 10 pain! This must have been so tough for you, but I'm so happy to hear that you seem to have finally turned a corner. My doctor speaks with wonder and awe about the body's ability to heal itself and what a miracle it is, and to have faith in that natural ability. You are looking great and I'm sure things will just get better and better.
Wow, you look great! What a vast improvement from just a couple of weeks ago. Your selfies are great. It really does take a while to start looking like a human, doesn't it? I was really worried about your undid solved stitches, but you have come through it beautifully. Keep posting!
Undissolved stitches! I was worried for you about those. Dang autocorrect!
MNBLEPH, I think you look beautiful. Your ps did an amazing job. Best! Ishtar
Your recovery looks great! No one is perfect I have come to believe and only you will know the little differences in your face. Acceptance for me is the key to healing. I trust that I need to give it 3 to 4 months to see final results. Thank you for sharing your story.
it really is major surgery and takes at least 6 months to see a final result.some days are better than others the eyes are very sensitive and you are going to find yourself questioning your decisions on a moment to moment basis.if however,after 6 months or perhaps even longer,your doctor will probably do a smaller revision to correct whatever it is that is bothering you. yes,this forum is heaven sent indeed.it helps to have people who have been through the same thing as you to vent or talk to.....it will get better
Colleensmail...Thank you for your kind words. Yes - some days are indeed better than others. I'm noticing that when I do the AIP protocol I do much better. (AIP=Autoimmune Protocol Diet) Much less swelling and pain when I'm super careful. Whoops - had french fries today...which is a no no as it's a night shade.
Thank you so much for your posts. You are looking good. I too am going through a longer recovery than others and have some asymetry too. It is so helpful to read about your experience. I was feeling disheartened as other people seem to look great after 10 days and I not! Everyone really does heal at their own rate. Keep posting!
To me they the left eye margin is wider than the right. And the incision line is higher on the lid on the left eye. Placement matters and so does the amount of skin taken off in each incision. Ask your PS why he put them in two different places...he may be able to help you understand his strategy...grace60
You have a good eye Grace60! Yes. Left is bigger - only because around day 10 - I cut my own stitches on that side and opened that eye up wider. He'd sewn both corners too tight. That was unpleasant. Sadly the right eye has already started to seal/heal up and although I was able to get a few stitches out...the skin had grown shut. And yes...the incisions on each upper lid look totally different. I wanted to believe at first that it was just swelling...but no. They are completely different and crooked. And bumpy - still after 6.5 weeks. Grrr. I think I'm a revisional candidate at some point.
I think the asymmetry is an optical illusion due to the scarring/redness.  If you cover up the scars on your computer screen with your fingers your actual eyes look the same to me.