Sculptra- Not So Worth It - East Peoria, IL

My surgeon suggested that I might be a great...

My surgeon suggested that I might be a great candidate for Scupltra because I am thin and he described my cheeks as "gaunt". Yep, made me feel warm and fuzzy. I read through all of the mixed reviews and had put the procedure off once due to indecision. I didn't like the fact that I had to pay for it up front do to the fact that they have to prepare the solution a day in advance. I wasn't sure I would see the results that they Doc had claimed that I might.
Well, I went in the day of my appt., I had paid two days prior. When I arrived, they whipped out the consent form- It included a series of possible risks, that had not been presented to me prior to that moment. Scaring was the biggest risk. So, here I stood, having already paid and feeling very backed into a corner. I went through with the procedure, which by itself was a fairly easy and simple one. I had a little bit of swelling for a few days and that was all. I did the massage procedure that they had shown me in the office.
Within a week I had a few round pea like areas. These areas would pop up randomly where the injections had been and then within a few days would go down. Right under my left cheekbone though, I developed one that did not go away. It did not appear until well after the injections- say over a month later, and it did not go down. It continued to grow. A soft, moveable and palpable lump that became visible under my cheekbone.
Last week the Doc injected a steroid into it and put it off as a minor complication that was "rare". Hmmm. It has started to go down, but I was warned that it may leave a hollow space where it was. Seriously?
Would I do it again? No
Would I tell others to do it? No
It was expensive and the results are very subjective. I would have been better off with a filler that was injected as opposed to some medium that is supposed to make your collagen "grow".
Thanks for sharing your experience.  Just out of curiosity, if you hadn't already paid for the Sculptra would you have backed out when you saw the possible risks?

Let us know if that bump goes away now that you have had the steroid injection.  I know Sculptra takes a while before you see results, so I hope you keep us posted on if you change your mind about seeing any results or not.  Hoping you do see some results so that you feel you got your money's worth!
Yes, I believe that I would have backed out. Other than this web site, there wasn't any sort of mention of risks or complications other than the obvious- "redness and mild swelling at the injection site". I was taken aback when the receptionist pulled out the sheet that I had to sign acknowledging the risk of possible long term scarring that might take up to a year to develop. When I saw my doctor last week and he injected the steroid solution into the lump, he said it was rare but they had seen it a couple of times. He said that the lump would eventually go away on its own. Although he did say my lump was "larger" than most. Personally, I do not feel that it would have gone away. This week it is still fairly substantial, with only a minor reduction in size. His office has called twice to ask if I had noticed a difference.
Let us know if and when it goes down- hopefully soon.

I found this in the Q&A and I just thought it was interesting and that you might want to read it:

I've seen some people talk about massage with an electric toothbrush to try and break down the lumps/granulomas as per recommended by their doctors, too.  Here is a Q&A that talks a little about that:
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Putnam has been my doctor of choice for the past 3 years. I have used him for Botox and Juvaderm injections. He has always been honest and professional. I would certainly feel good about recommending him to a friend. His nurse is awesome, but his front desk girl is somewhat pushy and can be rude if you catch her when she feels rushed or busy.