Gastric Bypass - East Orange, NJ

Growing up I was tall & skinny and I hated it, it...

Growing up I was tall & skinny and I hated it, it wasn't until adulthood after dealing with life's twist & turn, ups & downs, is when I started packing on the pounds. So after having 7 kids, two sets of twins, I reached my high of 373 lbs. After trying every diet out, I then decided to go the surgical route. I had gastric bypass on 10/03/2012. I went home the next day, but ended returning the same night with a pulmonary embolism(blood clot in the lungs). After a week hospital stay I returned home, but about a month later I ended up back in the hospital for an infection. For the first four months I was unable to eat or drink anything. A sip of water or anything else would cause me to vomit. It was back & forth visits to the emergency room & surgeon office. At one time I got so dizzy I could even walk, the ER doctors diagnosed me with suffering from vertigo, but once I saw the surgeon in Feb of 2013, he realized that I was suffering from malnutrition because I haven't been able to eat or drink anything since 4 months prior. So after another 2 months of sipping on Boost & Special K Protein shakes, the nausea & vomiting stopped & I was finally able to keep small amounts of food down. There was a time when I regretted having the surgery because I felt like I ended up with more problems then I had. But it's 8 months later & I've lost 133 lbs, and feel much better then I have in years. So no regrets here!!!!

Before gastric bypass

Hi lalaspates, in the beginning I actually felt like the weight was just dropping off, by my 3 month check-up I was down 90 lbs now I'm finding it harder to come off, now I'm 10 months post-op & down 150 lbs, I weigh myself weekly & sometimes it's a month before the scale changes
Did u stall any ? I had gastric bypass 30 days ago and lost 24 lbs in a week in a half and havent lost any since ? Dont know what i'm doing wrong?

Hi there, welcome and thanks so much for sharing your journey with us!

I'm so sorry for all the complications, but you're doing great and looking awesome! Congratulations on your weight loss so far, you must be very proud of yourself!

Please do keep us updated with your progress!

10 months post-op

You look great honey! I need to do this surgery. What state and doctor did you use. If you don't mind because he or she did an excellent job!!!
Thanks, I feel great too!! I went to Dr.Ducheine out of East Orange NJ!!
yes I am the same way

11months after surgery

October 6 2013 will be my 1 year anniversary post surgery, and I'm down 153 lbs, I'm feeling great, but still have 47 more lbs to go. The beginning of next year I'm planning on having a tummy tuck. I may not be where I wanna be, but I'm so glad I'm not where I use to be!! Good Luck to everyone on their own personal journey!!!
YOU LOOK GREAT AND I AM GLAD YOU POSTED IT MADE ME FEEL BETTER ABOUT HAVING THE SURGERY....IAM TORN BETWEEN THE SLEEVE AND THE BYPASS...
Thanks, I chose the bypass because of the large amount of weight I needed to lose, I was 373 lbs & wanted to loose at least 200, so I felt like that was best option for me especially after reading about people who had the sleeve then ended up getting the bypass because of regaining the weight or just not losing enough, but u have to decide what u think is best for you. Good Luck on which ever u choose!!!

1 year after surgery & down 157 lbs

1 year later

Thanks for the review, you look wonderful.

163 lbs down & 37 more to go!!!!!

I honestly believe that making this decision to have wls was one of the best decisions I made. At 36 years old I feel like I have a 2nd chance for a happier, healthier life. A little over a year ago I was 373lbs & was only dreaming about being 200lbs thinner, now I have 37lbs to go in order to be living that dream!!!

169 lbs down!!!!

14 months post surgery

Almost to my goal!!!

Me

Enjoying life again

Good for you, sweetie!!! I had my gastric bypass in 2003 and have maintained my weight loss! In 2013 I underwent a total body lift to remove all that redundant fat and skin that could not be exercised away. Before gastric bypass I was a size 24W. After WLS I was a 14. It was a huge improvement. And it certainly saved my life!!! But I have to say that I am SUPER DELIGHTED with my plastic surgery, which after just a tummy tuck with mons lift I went down to a size 8!!! It was the best $7k I ever spent! So I decided to get my entire body done and now I am a size 4! I love love love my body!!! Good luck on your journey! Don;t ever look back, keep moving forward.

Living life & loving it

21 months after gastric bypass

you look so nice congrats to you I am also a black female 37 yrs old sorry I don't have a pic but I just wanted to ask you how do you feel know I am in the process of just the weight loss part before surgery I have long ways to go I weigh 272 pounds but I carry my weight very well in my butt in hips how do you feel are you able to still eat whatever also I like to have fun will I ever be able to still have alcohol at least wine lol.... Im just wondering please let me know
Hi MsHill, yes now t pretty much can eat whatever I want just smaller portions but I still try to follow a healthy diet, I am able to drink alcohol I just find myself drunk by the 2nd cup
I sure did enjoy reading about your journey and the new lease you have on life. Keep up the great job.
Dr. Ducheine