Gastric Bypass - East Orange, NJ

Growing up I was tall & skinny and I hated it, it...

Growing up I was tall & skinny and I hated it, it wasn't until adulthood after dealing with life's twist & turn, ups & downs, is when I started packing on the pounds. So after having 7 kids, two sets of twins, I reached my high of 373 lbs. After trying every diet out, I then decided to go the surgical route. I had gastric bypass on 10/03/2012. I went home the next day, but ended returning the same night with a pulmonary embolism(blood clot in the lungs). After a week hospital stay I returned home, but about a month later I ended up back in the hospital for an infection. For the first four months I was unable to eat or drink anything. A sip of water or anything else would cause me to vomit. It was back & forth visits to the emergency room & surgeon office. At one time I got so dizzy I could even walk, the ER doctors diagnosed me with suffering from vertigo, but once I saw the surgeon in Feb of 2013, he realized that I was suffering from malnutrition because I haven't been able to eat or drink anything since 4 months prior. So after another 2 months of sipping on Boost & Special K Protein shakes, the nausea & vomiting stopped & I was finally able to keep small amounts of food down. There was a time when I regretted having the surgery because I felt like I ended up with more problems then I had. But it's 8 months later & I've lost 133 lbs, and feel much better then I have in years. So no regrets here!!!!

Before gastric bypass

10 months post-op

11months after surgery

1 year after surgery & down 157 lbs

1 year later

163 lbs down & 37 more to go!!!!!

I honestly believe that making this decision to have wls was one of the best decisions I made. At 36 years old I feel like I have a 2nd chance for a happier, healthier life. A little over a year ago I was 373lbs & was only dreaming about being 200lbs thinner, now I have 37lbs to go in order to be living that dream!!!

169 lbs down!!!!