I Can See a Good 85% Improvement - New York

I had acne for about 4 years (High school yrs :( ...

I had acne for about 4 years (High school yrs :( .Accutane took care of this in 10 month-I wish my doctor prescribed it earlier-However, I was left with 3 scars on my left cheek and I never even knew that plastic surgeons could do anything about them.[0.7 cm hypopigmented & indented scar]

I went last month to a local plastic surgeon who performed 'on spot' dermabrasion for free and told me he would charge me only if we saw ‘very significant’ improvement.I so trusted him. 10 days later I went to him again for a follow up appointment. The area was red & needed 1 more mm to reach 'no indentation' level .It became however,less hypopigmented...

The surgeon injected very little mount of filler and of course I saw an immediate result. Now I see no indentation at all but the area is still red(less than last week) but with even less hypopigmentation.

I am applying Petroleum creams and covering it when I go out. I will give it an 85% so far.

For pain..He injected a very littel amount of lidocaine prior to the procedure and i felt nothing.

I will keep you posted. Pray for me!

Updated on Jan 8, 2009:

This is my 4 weekly updates..

Redness:less by 15% -but still red

indentation:0%

Overall satisfaction: 85%..I hope i find out how to fix hypopigmentation!

Updated on Feb 5, 2009:

I had been 2 months now. I can confidently say that there isn't any indentation at all. The redness however is less by 40%.

Glad to read your comments and I am willing to share my experience because I feel I owe 'Dermabrasion'!

After 2 months I can see how difficult for someone to get the full face dermabrasion due to its final results are worth it.

I have seen pictures of people who did this and I have to say that it is a brave decision as it has both psychological and financial (time off work) liabilities.

My overall satisfaction is still high: 85%

Thanks for your wishes

New York City Facial Plastic Surgeon

trust!

I wonder what the results would look like if he hadn't used any filler... I see that this was posted in 2009. How do your scars look now?
It has been about five months now.I have to say I am happy! The redness is a 'no problem' to me but I have recently noticed that the redness decreases in the mornings and 'flushes' by the end of the day. The redness has lessend by 60% but not gone! at a glance.. The procedeure seems to have done a very good job..i will keep you posted! pray for me.
OnCall - Thanks for letting us know! Hi hijessi - Oncall's provider information has just been added to the top of the review. Please note, you must be signed in to RealSelf to view.
Yes, please share your drs. name.
Hi Oncall, We can post the name of your provider in your review for you.
Which doctor did you go to in nyc?
The pigmentation came back for me after a long time.
Did you have hypopigmentation before the dermabrasion?
Yes DTtrf03! I did. It was a complication from my acne. I think there isn't a way to get the colour back to normal. I read about tattooing and melanocyte transplantation but none seem to make sense to me [If anyone has a better idea, shoot!] The main lesson I learned about this procedure it is excellent for resurfacing and it does not interfere with colour changes(If it was done by a good surgeon). So far I see no indentation at all and the area is only red around the edges. The redness has not gone away completely yet! I have 4 really superficial pox scars (not as deep as this acne scar) I am planning on dermabrading those as well [soon]. My plastic surgeon told me I will see better results with these (results are totally depth dependent). I hope I am of use to you.