3 Week Post Op Breast Implants and Lift - Denver, CO

5'6" , 125 pounds, 36 years old had 275cc sub...

5'6" , 125 pounds, 36 years old had 275cc sub muscular implant with lift. Expected pain - as this is 2 major surgeries. However, the pain is exhausting, deflating, and draining and way more than anticipated. Had a hard time managing pain since the minute I came out of surgery. From a 2 and half hour surgery, took over 5 hours in post op. stopped pain meds after 3 days because I couldn't take the side effects, and they didnt really work, but perhaps that was my first mistake to not continue. (Note - i metabolize pain meds and sedation, muscle relaxants very different than most people)

On pain scale of of 0 to 10, 10 being that you want to cry, I wake up everyday at a 7. Takes me a couple hours to get moving and get pain down to 4 or 5 at best. By the time I go to bed, I am back to a 7 or 8. Days are long, pain is more than I expected and am questioning when I will feel even slightly normal again. I only took 5 days off of work and that likely was my second mistake. Worked on computer in slow mode for next week - didn't feel like I did a lot but apparently taking a solid 2 weeks off is HIGHLY recommended and even doing your make up and driving very short distances is too much.

Pain is achy, shooting knife like, switches from side to side on any given day and nipples feel like I have nursed 25 babies for hours at a time. Beyond hyper sensitive and sore. Miserable is the word that comes to mind. Tightness is very tough - still hard to breath. Very frustrated at this point and really questioning my decision. Really like my doctor and they say I am healing correctly but completely underestimated pain and really went in expecting the very worst and even that was not enough. Sleeping is tough - sitting up. Once I sleep I stay asleep for a good 8 hours but getting up is awful. I am REALLY hoping this week is better because I am not sure how much longer I can take this (not that I have any options) but looking for any insight, advice, shared stories etc. It helps to hear words of encouragement. Note: cost is Doctor, hospital and anaestia.

Hello All- Had a post op today and my doctor saw first hand the extended pain as she massaged them, touched the nipples etc and saw me go through the ceiling. The good news, is that the boobs are healing really well, scars look way better than expected at this stage. No infection, hematoma's etc. What she thinks is that this surgery triggered some nerve issues in my body. (my whole body hurts - boobs, skin, arms, legs, etc). So put me back on full pain meds plus some for a few days just to try to get the "fire" out ( i will actually take them all this time) and she is researching some medications for nerve pain (Lyrica, etc) with a pain specialist. She noted she has never seen someone come out of anesthesia as early as I did and the effort it took to get my pain under control the day of surgery. She said she now understands why I tell docs that I metabolize meds differently than most people. So on the good side, the boobs look great, and are healing really well - just going to focus on the nerve issues now. @BirthdayBoobies - not sure if this helps you at all. But at minimum, I feel better that I have been heard, I have been understood, empathized with and have some plans to try. So be open and very detailed with your doc, and I hope you get a good plan in place too. My doc really is amazing. She is the top doc in Colorado (hence the higher price tag that I paid) and for a good reason. I am pretty sure I am an extreme anomaly situation, and I hope I will love them as much as most women do...soon! Will continue to update. Thanks all who have posted with stories and encouragement - it REALLY does help!
Hi MB I will be 4 weeks post op tomorrow and I have to say that I am in a very similar situation. For me, nights are the worse. I am still sleeping on a wedge pillow. My nipples are not as sensitive as you describe but my breast themselves are very sore and painful and still tend to swell. I wake up with hard breast that hurt after being woken several times each night because of the pain. I feel like between weeks 3 and 4 I did make a leap of progress. At week 3, the constant pain had me frustrated and discouraged. The early weeks I was optimistic and the pain was expected. At this point, like you, I am desperate for some relief. I too was told that I am healing correctly and that I will "feel many levels of discomfort over the next 4 to 6 months". I like my doctor and trust him and his reputation however I know that I do have a good pain tolerance and this just seems too much when I hear from other people. Just wanted to let you know you aren't the only one.
Thank you so much for sharing! It does help so much when you hear that you are not the only one. And you described the the exact part that is the most frustrating is the hardness you feel each morning. Did you have both BA and a lift? Are you massaging? I try to a couple times a day, but it is really hard with the pain. I think this is a ordeal that is not a 1 + 1 = 2 times the healing, but that 1 + 1 = 3+ the times of healing. I go in for my 3 week post op on Friday and will share any tips I get, because I am not leaving until I have some options!!
I had a full anchor lift and 300cc silicone placed under the muscle on March 8. I am not massaging as I was told not to until after my next visit which is at 8 weeks. When I went in last week I expained to them I was in pain and while they weren't exactly dismissive, they didn't seem the slightest bit concerned. I left actually a little embarrassed that I was still in pain and decided I simply needed to be tougher (did I mention I am a personal trainer who has a no pain no gain attitude .... not good in this instance to think that pain equals me being weak.) When I got home my husband couldn't believe that I didn't push the issue and accepted the "you just had major surgery and you are fine" answer. I am also having an issue with my breast 'moving' at night if I am not on my wedge. It seems I am not developing a firm enough pocket or my pocket is too wide perhaps. If I lay on my back they drift laterally to the arm pits and it really hurts. If I lay on my side then they shift to that side and harden there. I returned to work at 11 days. I did not lift or move weights but I have been pretty active and wonder if my pain is directly related to activity. Also I have been investigating drain usage. My ps did not use a drain. Just out of curiosity, did yours? If my pain is from swelling because we didn't drain then I can at least wrap my head around that philosophy and know that there is an end in sight. Thanks for sharing in my frustration I will be glad to hear what your doc says. I am going to make an appointment and go back in too. With a little more back bone lol
I feel like I am talking to my twin! I did not have drains - so in the same boat there. Didn't sound like drains are used very often. I was told that swelling could stay up until 3 months and various pain up until 6 weeks. My doc seemed to acknowledge that controlling my pain was going to be harder, because it was very difficult right out of surgery (spent 6 hours in post opp, when it was suppose to be 2.) I think your husband is correct in that you have to advocate for yourself, because no one else will and everyone really is different. That is what I plan to do on Friday. I have gone in at week 1, week 2 and this will be week 3, so I feel like they are listening and paying attention, but I need more options! I am also still sleeping sitting up - which I think is now causing other issues. My legs are killing me. One thing that I have started is taking my temp more. I have noticed that every couple of days, I have a low grade fever of 99 for a couple hours and then it goes away (without any meds) but in my post op paperwork it said sometimes that happens if you are not getting enough deep breaths - which is surely the cause because I have 2 bricks sitting on my chest 24/7!! LOL. But stay tuned - I will push hard on Friday and share! :) I am also going to make a log of my daily activity, pain, meds, etc - so they don't think I am just exaggerating - that I a being very diligent in following doctors orders and doing everything I can to recover.
It sure sounds like you're doing everything you can...I wish I had some words of wisdom for you. I totally support your pushing back on your doc and can't wait to hear how Friday goes. I'm behind you all the way! a you really are a trooper...here's hoping for some relief! :)
Wow, I really feel for you and am so sorry! I'm also glad you're going to see your doc again. Sure, there's a little bit more involved with the lift, but what you're describing seems to me like things that needs to be addressed regardless of whether they say it's normal or not. It's not acceptable for you, and that's what matters. Totally behind you, girl!

Oh I'm so sorry you're having a rough time. It's not completely uncommon, but it's frustrating to hear so many "good recovery" stories when you're feeling awful. I have heard that drug sensitivity can be very serious. I'm curious as to what your doctor would say about some basic muscle relaxers...maybe a 1/2 dose though. I know I react horribly to most prescription pain meds...it almost seems like they're not worth taking sometimes. Hang in there and keep us updated!

Hi there MB. I am so sorry to hear about your awful experience. I am 12 days post op and only started feeling ok again yesterday. Are you wearing a bra yet? PS said no bra but for the last two days I have been wearing cami type tops with built in support (loose) and that made such a difference! Because of that tiny little bit of support that burny achy feeling that makes one want to cry in the afternoon is gone! Good luck and feel better soon!
Thanks Bubbles1980 for the insight!! I have worn a soft cup bra since 1 week post op - changing out of the surgical bra I wore for a week. I couldn't imagine not wearing one! The burning achy feeling is right on, I want to put ice on them non stop, because they feel hot all the time.
Hi, MB. I'm really sorry to hear that you're experiencing so much pain. On the encouraging side, let's keep in mind that you've had two major surgeries simultaneously, which is huge. Getting a Breast lift alone is major, but then add in a couple of good sized lumps underneath muscles that haven't had to stretch at all before, not to mention the muscular incision, and your body is definitely going to be screaming. I had the same BA procedure without the lift, and I was pretty sore for the first 10 days or so. Then again, I have no problem with anesthesia or pain meds, so Victoria and Value were my friends for the first week. I took extra strength Tylenol for the second week and was okay after that. I didn't have any muscle spasms, but I know some women do. IKREMOM may be onto something with the drug reaction theory, so I would definitely contact your doc again. Intense pain is definitely debilitating and exhausting, and people have different tolerance levels, but I too am a little surprised at the intensity you're describing after three full weeks. The nipple sensitivity and sharp stabbing sounds fairly normal (I experienced exactly what you described), but I wouldn't think you'd still need pain meds at this point. Your body will heal much better with some relief, so I really hope they can find you something that will work. Has there been any change at all since you first came home?
Ugh...stupid auto-correct! Victoria and Value should be Vicodin and Valium. Yeesh.
Very good points. I have had limited relief with Ultram which is milder than Percocet, but seems to work to take the edge off. I don't really feel like I have made any progress in the last 3 weeks. 90% of my mornings, I feel just like I did when I woke up from surgery. Note - I woke a bit early out of anesthesia, so I felt everything!! I feel like it is groundhog day. I have had 2 mornings that were decent, only to regress back to square 1. I think if I could get rid of the tightness and breath a little easier, I could make some progress. Does the nipple sensitivity ever go away. I wish they were numb! Thanks again!
To be in that much pain is definitely NOT normal. My body is oversensitive to everything, I had 2 surgeries in 10 months for breasts and by day 5 was back at work and only slightly groggy. (Had surgery on Thursday, back to work on Monday.) On my 2nd surgery I stopped taking Vicodin a day after surgery. If your entire body hurts you could very well be having a bad reaction to the anesthesia that was used. If it's your breast area, you might have an infection or something else going wrong. The tightness is your chest is what is concerning, I am 5'3" with a 36" chest, had 800cc's put in and have no tightening or a hard time breathing - that is not normal. I know too many women that have had augmentation and though everyone's experiences are different NO ONE I have ever spoken to has been in debilitating pain for weeks. The nipple sensitivity is normal and nipple covers really help with that (you won't ever want to take them off) and the shooting pains sound like nerve ending issues, which can be normal but, they're usually intermittent and not constant as your nerves try to reconnect. You might need to really stress to your doctors office how concerned you are over your pain level and if they don't take you seriously, find another opinion. Also, because anesthesia is so toxic try some detoxing stuff like juicing, or drinking only water and green tea...that might help. Good luck, I hope you feel better. On a side note, $13,000 is outrageous. I had 2 surgeries by a reconstructive plastic surgeon in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area who is in such high demand he could charge what ever he wanted and it cost me $12,000 total for both (all inclusive).
I had my 1st BA Feb. 2000, felt like I was hit by a Lincoln going 40mph & lived through it! I sat at my kitchen table for 15 hours. I think my body was in shock. I could not lay down for over 6 months. I had to sleep upright in a lazy boy. I screamed like I was in a burn unit my first three showers. My breasts felt like someone had scrubbed a thick ajax cold wash cloth on a third degree burn! I had second BA replace surgery because of failed implant in May 2004. I'm getting explanted asap, shopping surgeons. If I knew all I know now, nothing could get me to do this again!!! Good luck and many prayers for you dear, hope others will heed the warning...take care