Upper Respiratory Reaction with Invisalign - Denver, CO

The first 24 hours were fine except they were very...

The first 24 hours were fine except they were very hard to get out. This got better over time. But very soon I developed a funny dry cough. I didn't feel like I was getting sick, just had a persistent cough. It grew worse over a couple days and I began to suspect the new clear braces. I realized that I stopped coughing soon after taking them out!

I googled "Invisalign Allergic Reaction" and got several hits. Others had the same problem, some accompanied by nausea. Yikes! My new plan to correct my bite has hit a wall! My ortho never heard of this, but I cited the pages on-line. He is currently contacting his Invisalign rep and will get back to me. Waaah! I don't wanna be a metal mouth again at this age!

My daughter had a reaction to Invisalign--swollen tongue, lips, and cough on the first day. The cough persisted for two weeks.

My son started with invisalign yesterday. This morning he woke up with a swollen tongue, sore throat and sores on his tongue and back of his throat. He also had a rash on his hands, feet, forearms, calves and stomach. I started to investigate allergic reaction to Invisalign. Their website doesn't say anything about this but the pamphlet says it is rare to have a reaction. While investigating I'm finding that these symptoms are not that rare. It seems to be happening to a lot of people. They need to give consumers this information as a warning!
My husband has had a dry cough, and sores in his mouth that started about the same time he started using his invisalign. I have all sorts of allergies - food and environment, so knowing my reactions, we eliminated all the usual suspects from his diet to no avail. When we suggested to his ortho that he stop wearing the invisalign to test, his ortho said that the FDA monitors and approves these things so it was probably something else.

Incidently, the FDA sent a warning to Align Tech for not reporting these sorts of complaints. (Its posted on the FDA website.) Thanks for the tips about the hypoallergenic materials.
Dr. Rudman

My son used Dr. R and he and his staff are pleasant, professional and effective providers.