Educate Yourself First - Denver, CO

I prepared my skin for a year with Retin-a and and...

I prepared my skin for a year with Retin-a and and 6 months alternating with a properly pH balanced AHA serum. In the past, I've had professional glycolic peels and microdermabrasion at hundreds of dollars. None have produced the results that the 25% at home TCA peel I did on myself have, and it's not even finished healing. The new skin being revealed so far is pink, and healthy looking. I'm looking forward to the full results. I will do this again in a few months.

I can see how those uneducated could be frightened by the healing process. I have read extensively on this peel, but there was still a part of me afraid that my face would not heal. Take excellent post peel care! I used aquaphor + neosporin for the first 4 days then switched to cracked skin relief cream by derma e. I did not go into the sun without a 30 spf mineral sunscreen, hat, and sunglasses.

Other considerations: I am not susceptible to cold sores, but using the peel around my mouth provoked a small breakout, which is clear in the pics.

One week Post 25% TCA Peel and I'm mostly...

One week Post 25% TCA Peel and I'm mostly healed. There is still some redness where I double and triple treated. Results: tighter skin, refined pores, very refreshed looking, two age spots gone. Very pleased and will be doing another peel in 4 weeks. Then giving my skin a break for 6 months.

This is about the 3 month mark and I just wanted...

This is about the 3 month mark and I just wanted to reiterate how I feel this is worth it. I have taken a pic today, and made sure I was on a bad day (partied too much over the weekend, and been eating terribly, eyes have been puffy because of this, unshaven, direct lighting, etc), and I am still thrilled with the face I see in the mirror. It seems to get a little better everyday. I was ID'd for alcohol over the weekend and she couldn't believe I was over 30 (I'm 38). I do take immaculate care (aside from the partying and sometimes poor diet :).. ) of my skin on a daily basis, but nothing made this kind of difference and I will do another in 3 months.

BTW, that is not a wrinkle on my right (left in...

BTW, that is not a wrinkle on my right (left in the pic) eye, it is a scar. This picture is unretouched.

Hey guys, I just wanted to give an update. I just...

Hey guys, I just wanted to give an update. I just did my annual 25% TCA a few months ago, mid-July 2012, right before my 39th! I applied it full face and neck, and triple applied under eyes. It took the usual 7 days to peel. I once again used aquaphor day and night and washed with Dr Bronners baby mild.

I have also been using a 20% salicylic peel monthly to maintain. I attached a new pic from a week ago. It shows a really nice even skin tone. My skin is so bright! IMO, chemical peels are absolutely the key to maintaining youthful skin if you cannot afford a surgeon. I'm thinking if trying the 30% TCA/Jessners selling on amazon. Anyone tried?

30% TCA

I finally got up the courage to try a 30% peel under my eyes and I want to warn anyone doing this at home that this is some serious stuff. I ended up peeling and scabbing twice during the healing process and I'm still red under my eyes after a month! it was almost in danger of turning brown due to hyperpigmentation. Luckily the community here had excellent advice and I used a hydroquinone cream twice a day as well as a hydrocortisone ointment at night. Be careful! I've never been so frightened by what I did to myself, and I have experimented with a lot of things on myself! That all said, people constantly think I'm in my early twenties. I highly recommend getting a TCA of 25% or higher once a year

...I would add this comment: There are so many things to consider when doing a TCA peel..not only Skin Patch testing at least 24 hrs prior to doing your treatment to determine proper strength, but also accessing your skins condition...is it thin & fragile, do you wounds/open sores from acne, are you taking medications which cause sun sensitivity, do you have a medical condition...all this & more! must be considered prior to deciding on if you are a good candidate for doing your own home peel! Then how do you apply it...do you make one pass over the area or several...did I use a lower strength in sensitive areas of the face or body? So yes it is important to learn as much as possible, do your patch tests 24 hrs prior and pay attention to HOW you apply it to your skin and the after care you give it! High point on the face such as the check bone may respond more and easily can be over treated which can result in some slower healing & persistent redness or discoloration ( I use lighter peels to get rid of those issues)! So know your stuff and have all your after care ready before starting!
I have doing chemical peels for 20 years (52 yr of age now) and beautiful skin. I am a medical estheitian and work for a plastic surgeon so I believe I know what I am doing. Lol
To "Touchthisskin": AWESOME REVIEW! Your results look great! You obviously someone who understands the correct use & preparation for TCA peels! Good job!
I did a 25% TCA on face. 3 - 6 layers. But it left my skin feeling very sensitive, and unfortunately I picked at it and most of the scars came back. I now do microdermabrasion on myself and that seems to be helping.
Obagi blue peel is good! It is 35% tca...doctors can go deeper. You better be careful. Your skin has to heal and it takes six months underneath even though you may not see it. You may see your outside skin looking pretty good but it could be suffering terribly underneath. This is why you must way!. Better study skin layers to you understand. I know someone that keep doing these peels ( not experienced or esthetician etc) and she thought it was ok to do them every two weeks. Her skin looked great at first but then she damage underneath. So now she has horrible skin and can not reverse it. Be careful! order chemical peel books by dermatologist if you must continue to do this on your own! Good luck!
Thanks! It just didn't feel right to me to continue the peels. I only did it once, I bought myself a microdermabrasion machine off of ebay because it feels safer. I want perfect skin but I cannot stop myself from picking it. :( I do hypnosis and all of that as well.
And as for studying the skin. I am currently studying skin biology (beauty course) so of course I am gaining the knowledge needed.
Well I did the 25% peel. 3 - 6 layers (I just kept applying more and more) yeah it did burn, and when I could not take it, I neutralized it and washed it off. After a week my skin was beautiful, but the result's didn't last for long. I'm doing microdermabrasion now and I will invest in a skin rejuvenation laser globe for my Espil.
I think Jessener or glycolic followed by TCA may be ok for experience peeler, these are Not to be Done by someone that has never done a chemical peel. Jessner's + TCA Peel JESSNER’S MODIFIED SOLUTION + 25% - 35% TCA PEEL First your skin will be cleansed thoroughly and degreased to remove any excess oil with 100% pure acetone or rubbing alcohol. Acetone much better though. 3 day prior to your first peel, stop using exfoliating creams or sponges. If you have a history of cold sores, you must start taking Valtrex 2 days prior to your treatment and 2 days after treatment. Avoid shaving the treatment area the day of your peel. Avoid waxing in the treatment area 5 days prior to your peel. The Jessner's solution will be applied first to one area of the face at a time. Only one layer!! Or you may use 20% glycolic. The solution will be left on the skin for several minutes (4-5), during which time the skin will begin to tingle. Then the TCA will be applied in the same manner. Because of the strength of the TCA concentration the burning sensation will be more intense. Cool compresses will then be applied for comfort and the skin will quickly begin to feel better. Moisturizer and a broad-spectrum sunscreen will be applied before you leave the office.
Did you do 20% TCA on hands? That is normally a high strenght for hands. Can case post hyperpigmentation. Do you have pics of hands? 60-70% gylcolic peel is good for the body after prepping too! Linda

Waiting on my tca peel to come in so I can try. I have a palovia and love it! Plus I have a nuface and it realy helps to lift the skin ( muscles) of the face!

I know this might sound stupid,but I am thirteen and I have acne scars,should I use this? :)

Hi. I'm a 26 year asian male. I have a lot of red and brown marks due to acne. I know you can't apply TCA if you have active acne. I have a bit of active acne but not much. I have been breaking out recently. Did you have lot of red marks and brown marks (hyperpigmenation) before this? I dont see any before pictures but you dont look like someone with lot of red/brown marks? So it just took you 1 TCA peel to see these results? Because you're skin looks great after the 7th day! I heard that downtown for TCA peel is 3 weeks usually... I saw another woman who did a TCA peel at home and showed it took 3 weeks for her skin to look normal. I know you did this at home but i'm not going to do a TCA peel at home as i'm worried i would mess up and would do it with a professional instead. Would you say a TCA peel is a must for red/brown marks from acne? I read you wrote about how you paid hundreds for glycolic acid peels done professional and the results aren't that good so is glycolic acid peel a waste of time then? I read those peels are so light that doing that to clear red/brown marks would be useless. Thoughts on this? Also if the place that im trying to do it says they will do glycolic acid peel on me and not TCA peel as it would be my first peel ever should i just refuse since that would be wasting money? I heard it takes 4-6 glycolic acid peel to see results but for TCA... is it less? Cheers!
Your skin looks great! It makes me want to hit the TCA all over. Maybe if you combined it with Carole Maggios Facersize, you could be shocked at the result!
i know! i've done my hands too, but the peeling was so nasty.
Ur 38? Wow! U look like u can be 29, 30! U look so young and refreshed congrats on the results from ur treatments
it should! if not, I would suggest investing in a PaloVia. It's giving me amazing results so far. Better than TCA did.
Hi there

I have used TCA twice and wanted to move up to the 25% but am a little scared of using this strength under the eye. Did you have any problems using it there and do you think it has improved that area of your face. By the way, your skin looks great.
If we want to pay $500!!
it's well worth it. people have been guessing me at 24 - 28 lately.
never done under my eyes but want too. i'm hoping the peel will remove crows feet
I am currently testing out the PaloVia for a Beauty Blog, but once that's done, I am doing a double face peel as well. Neck too.
Its good to work on the skin, but its the underlying muscles in the face that depict youth.
I know! but until I can afford ulthera, I'm gonna have to work with my skin. I also just invested in a 1mhz ultrasonic facial massager. haven't got it yet though
We're did you bought it ? Trying to order one, but there are too many